Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Mariah

My school has a caring and supportive atmosphere.

My school has a caring and supportive atmosphere.

The plain and simple avice I would give myself is to make friends because they are the ones who help my get through the toughest part of every day. Making the transition from having friends to making new friends can be tough for some, but making friends is the best way to branch out.

University of Wisconsin Stevens Point has helping people. Having people there for me and willing to help is one great advance in learning more.

Joseph

I would tell myself not to change my original academic intentions, because following them will ultimately lead me to where I am today. I would not forewarn myself that I would transfer twice--it would probably scare the daylights out of me. I would encourage myself adamantly to not be as much of a recluse, because that is always easier, and social interaction is more rewarding. Finally, regarding to academics, I would tell myself that we are capable of anything a professor throws at us. I would tell myself to trust my judgment and complete assignments according to that that specific professor's preferences and requirements (however not sacrificing my creative ability). I would give this advice to myself and deliberately withhold many details, because there have been several lessons that cannot simply be described.

We're the Wellness campus. We're in-shape and HOT! Our Sciences are stong and our professors are genuises.

Anyone, really, should attend this college. There is something for everybody.

Natimia

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, the most important things I would tell myself is to be organized and get college applications out by the new year. The reason I say this is so things are done early and u'd be on top of your education. One thing you cannot do is wait until the last minute if you want to get into a 4 year college. You should start thinking about college once you get to your senior year. Taking your SAT's early is a plus so that you have something to rely on if your grades aren't the best; and if you need to retake them you have enough time to send the new scores in by the college application deadline. Colleges like people who are prepared for new education. They see potintial in students that are eager to start their life after high school. Now that I have graduated, I understand that it is nothing like what I would be getting myself into in a college environment. Being prepared and organized is a plus and takes a huge burden off your shoulder when it's done promptly.

Jody

UW-SP is not just a school, it is a cooperative and a positively personal experience with high-quality educational and extra-curricular opportunities.

I have put much thought into giving my high school senior advice over the years. I would travel back in time to 1987! "Jody, you think YOU have it all planned out?" First, accept that you need support and guidance in planning for your education. Your guidance counselor is to do more than show you how to fill out your financial aid forms. Your parents do not have the experience with secondary education, the value or the financial responsibility; however, they will need to be involved in your future. There are teachers at this high school that can help you. Do not be afraid to ask for help. This is your future. It is very important to remember if you are not satisfied with how your plans are turning out, review, reflect, and renew your goals. Seek the support for your education goals. In any circumstance, do not lose hope in attending college because of financial circumstances. Keep your eyes on your goals. Keep true to yourself and believe in yourself! You are completing your education for you and the many you will work with and meet in the future! The future isn't so far away.

A person attending UW-SP should be dedicated to the spirit of learning, being part of the campus community, along with the Central Wisconsin community, and one that recognizes the value of the education created together by administration and the teaching staff. A student realizes they come first in their education.

Ryan

In seeing all that has transpired since my time in highschool I have realized that I could have done quite a few things differently in order to make the transition process smoother. The most obvious of which to myself is how truly important the types of people who you should make your freinds in the first few weeks of college are. Of course you should still be freindly and nice to everyone you meet; however if your newfound friends do not share the same academic goals as yourself then the following semester you may find yourself freindless once again since your first semester friends have all failed out on account of partying too hard. The temptation to go out drinking on weeknights must be avoided since the only thing that will come of it is a morning headache and increased difficulty in your studies. There will be plently of time to party in college, only of course if you properly balance the time spent studying, socalizing, and working effectively. This time managment was something I recieved a crash course in almost too late in my first semester after realizing the pathway I and my new freinds were headed down.

The worst thing about the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point in my opinion would be the on campus housing. The dorm rooms tend to be constantly over heated. There is an abundance of noise pollution on weekdays when someone may be attempting to study, and the policies regarding noise are too strict on weekends when the noise level may be more appopriate.

The kind of person who should not attend the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point would be anyone who does not wish to try hard to succeed. Anyone who is opposed to hunting should also not go to this school since there is a very large population of hunters present. This university is also located next to a nature reserve; so therefore anyone who dislikes wildlife should not attend this college.

Kelly

I would not tell myself to select another school. I love it at Stevens Point. I met my boyfriend here and I would not give him up for anything. However, I would tell myself to not let boys interfere with homework. I struggled my first semester in college because I spent too much time with my boyfriend instead of doing homework. I would also tell myself not to room with my best friend from high school. I missed out on a lot of the college experience such as moving in with a complete stranger and a lot of social activities. I also lost my best friend because we ended up fighting all the time. We grew apart and realized it too late. I can't help but wonder if we hadn't roomed together, would we still be best friends? College is a place to learn who you are, to meet new people and to have fun. I missed out on all of that. I would also tell myself to not forget what I truely loved, to learn. There are times when I loose sight of this. I have waited for college my whole life, I cant loose that now.

I wish I would have known they would take away the 605 plan from the meal plan. The 605 plan gives students 605 "points" that are like $605 to spend on campus. Now that they have taken away the 605 plan I am forced to choose one of the other meal plans like 125 meals and 125 points. The meals are very limited and I have to buy pointer plate with them. If its not a pointer plate it doesn't count as a meal. There are limited choices for the pointer plates.

The most frustrating thing is that I HAVE to choose a meal plan while I am living on campus.

High school is hard emotionally and mentally. Everyone is striving to fit in. College is a whole new ball game. You can be who you want and you are given a great opportunity to find who you really are and who you want to be. College is the best time of your life. Unlike high school, you actually have to study and do the homework, but its not all bad. Group study sessions are fun and you actually can learn while having fun. In college you make friends that you will have for the rest of your life, so enjoy it. Don't let the dramas of high school problems blur your vision of the future. In college you learn so much about the world around you and what you can do to improve and embrace it. Giving up is not an option. Keep pushing through, because in the end, all the big right now things will not seem so big or so life changing. Live each day to its fullest and do not forget to have fun.

When I registered at the University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point, I knew almost everything that was important. I was a nervous freshman coming in and I wish I would have known that college is not as scary as people say. College is a great experience and I enjoy every moment of it. Sometimes it can be stressful, but overall college was everything I expected it to be.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point is that classes are rarely cancelled for sub-zero temperatures. The cold temperatures makes it very difficult to get the motivation to go to class and very difficult to get to class. The cold temperatures make the relatively short walk from the campus dorms to campus brutle. It is frustrating that the school will not put a limit on how cold it can be before they cancel classes. Sometimes the temperatures can reach 40 to 45 degrees below zero. That is very cold for walking students.

Altavese

My classmates are an eclectic assortment of people coming from various backgrounds all working towards a common goal of personal improvement and growth.

My college is located in a smaller town in the middle of Wisconsin. The unique thing about it is that the college sits somewhat in the center of the city and much of the town is oriented around it. There's a defined sense of small town community and comradship within Stevens Point. The unique aspect about my school is the individual attention that the students can obtain from there professors. The teaching staff prefers that their students learn something and obtain what they learn verses just memorizing facts inorder to pass the class.

I would remind myself that I have time to complete all my goals bescause I am young and I have my whole life ahead of me. I would tell myself to be rational and to look at all possible angles before I become narrow minded about my options. I would emphasize the importance of applying for scholarships, grants, and financial aid early as well as becoming involed in as many groups and community service organizations I could find. I would stress the importance of broadening my social circle but not forgetting to keep my current friendships intact. I would also advise myself to look into the availability of employment within the city where the school of my choice was located and transportation options incase I had no vehicle of my own. I would remind myself that life is a journey not a race and that sometimes I have to take baby steps to get to where I want to even if the baby steps seem futile. I would adivise myself to seek many advisors for information about studying abroad options and what it would take to do that. Overall, I would advise myself to be humble.

Craig

If I went back in time as a high school senior, I would give myself the advice that you aren't a failure in life unless you give up. I am a very studious person in college but during my sophmore year I had to withdraw from an organic chemistry class in the middle of the semester because of a very low test score. I was devestated and wanted to give up and change my major but my parents persuaded me to retake the course. I just finished the same organic chemistry course this past semester and received an A-. After this experience I learned the importance of staying determined in times of adversity.

A person who likes to stay back on campus during weekends. Campus is almost empty during the weekends.

The most frusturating thing about my school is the lack of opportunity for financial aid. I am from a white middle class family and I'm financially independent of them but I still have problems getting financial aid because of their socieconomic status, not mine.

Jamie

Most are really outgoing and pay attention in class.

Most are really outgoing and pay attention in class.

I would tell myself to be more outgoing and enjoy things more, while still getting my work done on time. Things change, there's no way to stop, and you got to keep rolling with the punches with you're head held high even when people are trying to knock you down.

I think any type of person would like it here.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.