Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

This school was more helpful than the others I have attended. Before I registered for courses I met with an advisor who set up a graduation plan for me. I knew what classes to take and when to take them. Now that I am one semester from graduating, I can say the plan worked. I met with anadvisor several times and stayed on track. The advisors all work together to make sure you are successful in completing your education.

The best advice I can give parents and/or students about finding the right college is to get to know the college as much as possible. Decide on two or three colleges and visit each campus; even try to meet some faculty members. If you do not feel at home consider looking at your other alternatives. I strongly urge each of you to make a plan of graduation; even if you are undeclared, make a plan for your undergraduate courses and stick to it. Once you are accepted by a college speak with an advisor right away, an advisor can set you on the right path and prevent you from taking courses you will not need to graduate. In short, do not assume you can make most decisions on your own, the faculty and staff are there to help you. Once you have a plan, don't be afraid to meet new people. College will be a more pleasant experience if you have friends to share it with. But, be careful and make sure you find a way to balance studying with your social life. It is important to have friends, but you want to be successful too.

The kind of person who should not attend this college is a person who does not enjoy being guided from the begining to the end. If you are a person who does not appreciate professors and administrators taking a personal interest in your life, you will not enjoy this university.

Michelle

I would say that visiting colleges is one of the most important things you can do in order to find the right college. I would also ask a student who has been at that college for their accessability to getting the classes you want, also to go to a college that focuses on the students needs for their major. I would also recommend spending a weekend with a student in the dorms and possibly shadowing to their classes.

The Atmosphere, its the perfect size and there is always somewhere to go to find qiet or to find fun.

That it is the perfect size school. Very enviornmental friendly. The teachers are very helpful and no TA's. Teachers are always willing to help.

Sharilyn

I would recommend that students should find the college that will give them the best chance of success. If a college is too difficult, but prestegious, and the individual is not prepared or willing to work that hard, they will not be a successful student. Second, it would be best to find a school that most represents the students interests (ie science, education,natural resources, etc. ,international studies). These programs will provide the most opportunity to travel abroad or intern along side some of the best scientists and reasearchers. It is also important to pick an enviroment, in which the community enhances the student's education and culture!

The surrounding area lacks culture and diversity. It is gradually getting better, but it could use a lot of improvement that would make life a little better when not studying. There are a lot of bars.

A person that is interested in big names for research...but if you are willing to meet professors and learn how to do research, you would be happy here.

Melina

My classmates like: to wear Carhartts, drink beer, study, have intellectual conversations, enjoy the outdoors, be environmentally responsible, become involved with student organizations and activities on campus, work to pay for school, go home on many weekends, drink coffee, sing karaoke, to wear fleece jackets and boots to class, ride alternative transportation to campus, smoke weed, listen to music, support local musicians, support local bands, and go to class.

When looking for the right college, it is important to keep in mind the best "fit" for the student. "Fit" can consider several elements including: academics, placement rates, financial aid, student life and housing, student employment, and political climate. Regardless of all of these factors, I would argue that student life and housing is one of the most important components, especially for a first-year student. Through living and learning communities, student organizations, and campus events, students find their "niche" within a college community. This is where they develop a social support system and often life-long friendships. To make the most of the college experience, I encourage students to take advantage of everything that is offered on campus. Within the classroom setting, students can benefit from taking advantage of study groups, study sessions, talking with and getting to know their professors, tutoring services, and study abroad programs. Outside of the classroom, students have many more opportunities to become involved including: student organizations, leadership opportunities, campus events, student government, hall government, and on-campus student employment. To maximize the college experience, fully immerse yourself in the process. A diverse resume will serve well during the job search and in life.

The type of person who should not attend this school is someone who prefers to live in a metropolitan city and enjoys dressing more classy. Also, the kind of person who should not attend this school is someone who expects other people to do things for him or her, enjoys fine dining, and would like to pursue an advanced degree at the same school. Furthermore, the type of person who should not attend this school is someone who would like to pursue a practical degree; this is an environmental sciences, education, and liberal arts focused school.

Teresa

I would recommend that the student visits the college at least two times. One time should be with his/her family allowing the student to get there perspective. The second visit, should be either with a group of friends or some orientation group. The possible student needs to choose the college that they actually like, not the one that others think is the best. Another good way to find out if a specific college is right for you: talk to older friends from your high school that attend (or attended) the college you are considering. If you are friends with them, they may be of good use!

I consider the worst part of UWSP to be the cost of the Health Enhancement and Allen Center. I think that these services should be cheaper, although free would be rather nice. Our school promotes being green and healthy, I believe that the students woud become more healthy if they were able to work out at an accessible place.

The type of students sthat hould attend UWSP are the ones that enjoy learning and are full of spirit. Also, they should be ready to make a plan for graduation. Many of the people I have met so far at this school are very upbeat and fun, yet they also are focused on graduating on a timely schedule. The person attending should be willing to be open to meeting new people because these friends will stay with you for years.

Great place, with many friendly people.

Great place, with many friendly people.

I would look at and visit as many schools as you can. There are so many great schools out there and the only way you are going to find the best one for you is by experiencing the campus first hand. When you are at college, do not give in to peer pressure. Stay true to yourself and you will leave college with a great degree and a great future.

There is nothing absolutely horrible about the school besides the number of General Degree Courses that everyone needs to take.

jacob

When choosing a college or university remember that you are going to have to live in its vicinity for four or more years. It is an often overlooked aspect of choosing a school. I know I did at first.

A group of rural, and small town students who are environmentally aware, culturally open, nondiverse ethnically, and slightly bored.

Small, rural university with a focus on environmental studies and the arts.

Luke

The University of Wisconsin Stevens Point offers me, in my opinion, a rewarding experience that will help me become very successful for my career choice.

I would have to say that my school is well known for Natural Resources and Health Promotion and Wellness. It is a very environmentally conscious and is also known for being very health focused, the health focus was one of my main reasons for choosing this school.

For those who are seeking a college, my best advice would be broken down into three areas. First it would be the university environment, second would be dorm availability and third would be your career goal. In my experience these three areas have led me to a wonderful school that I truly enjoy. For the university environment you should look for a college where you would feel comfortable, that's a place that caters to your interests and offers you the things you would enjoy. Also, pick a school that allows you to learn in the best way possible, such as class sizes, and level of interaction with the professors, etc. Another key factor would be how available the dorms are, I think everyone should stay in the dorms for at least one year. I have built relationships, from living in the dorms, that are so strong that those friends will be standing at my wedding whenever that day may come. Finally pick a college that matches a career path that you would enjoy doing, not what makes the most money but a career that wouldn't feel like a job if you did it everyday.

Randy

Picking the right college is a hard choice, but I think the main thing you need to do is research. Research where you want to go. See what schools have for certain programs. Ask around and find out what other people think. If they have what you want or something that interests you, GREAT! When looking, also go to a school you wouldn't mind staying at for 4 years. You don't want to go to a place that you hate to be at. When at college, sign up for atleast one class that you want to take that would be fun. This will take some stress off of you. Also, take more credits than you need if you can. If need be, you can always drop a class if you don't like it. Along with that, look up the professors that teach the class on ratemyprofessor.com. It makes preperation for those classes a lot easier. One last word of advice, STAY INVOLVED and ENJOY COLLEGE! This is the only time in your life that you will be doing this, live it up and enjoy your experience because before you know it, it will be gone!

The students and the sports. It brings everybody together. The sports teams are very successful and it brings joy to the university to see them succeed. The students are very involved with that and other activities. It is really great to see.

Balancing social life and studies. People here are very focused with grades and since money is a big thing here, you need scholarships. Thats where giving up a little of you social life comes in. It is worth it in the long run and you will have friends for life; its just a little strenuious.

Robert

My classmates strive to be the best in their filed while supporting one another in our quest for knowledge.

My advice would be to explore and visit many different colleges/universities during your senior year of high school. Talk to faculty, students, and anyone you can get your hands on. Explore not only the campus but also the community that surrounds it. See the residential halls (dorms), taste the food, and sit in on a few classes. By doing this you can get a strong feeling for what the campus and people are like. As far as getting the most out of college: don't be afraid to try everything that your campus has to offer. Through getting involved on and off campus with intramurals, the arts, and everything in-between your college experience has the potenitial to go from mediocre to the time of your life.

The small tight-knit community is the best part of UW-Stevens Point. Our strong community allows us to rely on each other yet still have room to grow in our professions and our daily lives. Having the close community around me makes me feel supported and appreciated by the faculty and my peers.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.