Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Lorelei

“College”? You mean “challenge”. Right now, you’ve got a bad case of Senioritis that’s going to need some heavy TLC in the fall when you head to college. Remember when you started high school and didn’t know anyone? That’s college, but at three times bigger, and way weirder. Remember how easy algebra class was? Not when you’re learning quantitative statistics and measuring the area under a curve in calculus. Most importantly, remember coming home to dinner, completing homework is less than an hour, and then chatting with your friends all night? The dog days are over when you have multiple exams in a single week. Mental preparation isn’t enough to combat the rigors of higher learning. You won’t get to sleep in. You’ll barely see your friends and family. You are going to be hungry all the time . Unless your precious hours are used for work instead of sleeping or studying, you’re going to be completely broke, and in debt. “Why put myself through all that stress?” you’ll ask. “Because,” I’ll respond. “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. And I know you can’t resist a challenge.”

I did not know that there were a huge variety of clubs devoted to protecting our environment, promoting sustainability, and encouraging development for green careers, wildlife conservation, and water resources. As a whole, they are not only devoted to what happens on campus, but what happens in the community and world around us, often reaching out to the citizens of Wisconsin to listen to their presentations and welcoming public particpation in the many events they hold throughout the year. They want everyone to understand how critical our natural resources are to human lifestyles.

You could call my school "po-dunk", if you'd like. While we're a college with a small city, we're surrounded by farms and forests; essentially, the middle of nowhere. Boredom is the soul-sucking con of this area, and there really isn't much to do if you're not an outdoorsy person. However, you do learn to appreciate nature with the forest preserve close by, and waking up to the sounds of birds chirping in the morning and the wind rustling through the trees instead of rumbling cars or wailing sirens in your dorm.

Rebecca

My school was rated number one for not only being the greenest campus around but we are well known for all environmental classes here.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, the first thing I'd do is slap myself and say "stay focused and be positive." Things can be very stressful at times and I need to remember to enjoy the little things. When life becomes too overwhelming, to stop and think before jumping into a decision. Most of all I'd admit to myself that life is about making mistakes and I will probably make many. As long as I learn from those mistakes is what's important.

Someone whose well balanced. Someone who can find the proper combination of being hard working in classes, and being a social butterfly out in public.

Adam

I would tell myself that I should continue with my plan to go to the 2-year college because it will save money and it is a very good school. Then I would tell myself, to make sure to choose the correct college to transfer to; basically to tell myself to do plenty of research. I would also tell myself about getting a research assistant position instead of working at a planetarium or do it with the planetarium. Finally, I would tell myself to be more social at the dorm. I would tell him to open the door so that people would talk to him, go to more events, talk more to my roommate that came from Brazil to learn more about him and his culture, and just to actually go out and talk to people, that is one of my biggest regrets about my first year of college and that something I should have really did and would have helped me a lot.

I wish I knew more about the research participation part of my major and that you could get a job working as a research assistant in my major because I would have did that instead of getting a job at the planetarium.

I don't think that there is anything too bad about my school, but if I had to choose I would say that would be the food for the dorms. It isn't horrible but it could be better. Also, since it is somewhat related, I would say that the meal plans are very good, you either have too many meals that you have to find ways to spend in various ways, or you have ot few and have ot ration your meals, there isn't a good sweat spot for a meal plan.

Lori

My classmates are, for the most part, nontraditional students like me.

My classmates are, for the most part, nontraditional students like me.

I would have given much more thought to what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I have had several jobs and have been working on my bacelors degree for the past 14 years and will graduate in May 2014. I will them be going to Lakeland College to complete my master's degree as a school counselor.

I am a non-traditional student and am taking classes online so I am not familiar with campus activities.

Haley

My school is best known for the science programs, art programs (mostly dance) and communication programs. There are various specialty classes to fit a wide range of students interests. Also they set up where you rent textbooks for a flat rate every semester instead of worrying about buying the very expensive books. The professors here really want to help you and they are easy going and like to be learning enablers and not just talk at you. This school is also not very expensive but you get a lot out of it.

Be paitent! Everything will seem like a blur at first and you'll think that you'll never make it through even your first week. Taking things slow and really talking to people about campus or classes or different teachers really makes a difference. Sometimes it seems scary to ask what seem like silly questions but you wouldn't believe how many people, even upperclassmen, have questions just like yours. Getting lost and being late is way more embarrassing than just asking for the correct direction to go for a class. And don't just skip your class if you see that you are late, many teachers understand the first month or so that it is sometimes difficult to figure out where you are going. Especially when some universities all the buildings look the same. And last but not least just go for it. Join clubs and make tons of friends and have fun. Good luck.

This university has a lot of free opertunites for events and activities offered on campus and that the school brings to campus for us. We've had movies, comedians, lots of interesting speakers (mostly authors of books we read in English classes). They really try to apply the real world and connect students with others outside of campus. Another great part of UWSP is they offer free workshops to learn how to create and build your resume and for interviewing. They really prepare you for the world outside of college so everyone is ready.

The number one piece of advice I would give myself would be to pack less when preparing to go to college. Looking back on my past self I question why I packed fourty or more shirts, and that isn't even counting pants, shoes, and other various clothing items. Two large bins just filled with clothes is extremely unnessary, which is obviously something I didn't understand when preparing for college. Besides packing, and on a more serious note I would make sure to tell myself to enjoy high school while I was still there; I would go to atheletic games, hang out with more friends, and not just focus on getting out of high school. Now that I am in college, far from friends and people I spent four years around, I really regret not enjoying my high school surroundings when I had the chance. I am glad that I focused on my studies as much as I did in high school, because it was a big help when getting into schools of my choice. Overall, I would make sure I spent more time with my peers, study hard, and pack a lot less clothes.

If I had to choose a "worst" thing about UWSP I would have to say the inability to live off-campus for the first two years. There are very specific circumstances which allow some underclassmen to live off-campus, however the stipulations strict which stifle many students' ability to live off-campus. It would be nice if I could live off-campus sooner than my junior year of college. That is really the only downside to attending school on this campus.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be how awfully cold if gets in the winter. Since the campus is so small and accessible everyone walks; there is really no reason to use other modes of transportion. This is quite frustrating in the winter because it gets so unbearably cold, but you still have to walk. Also, the school rarely, if ever, closes the campus down or cancels classes, so even in the bone-chilling dead of winter, you have to face the cold.

Tiffani

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that high school and college are way different than you expect. In high school I never studied and got A's and B's all the time. College is completely different and you have to work for your grades as well as trying to include yourself into a new environment. I'd tell myself to take more AP classes and challenge myself because all those classes paid off right now and I came into college with 20 credits making me a junior standing in my sophmore year of college. I would also tell myself to keep the friends that I made in high school because college you can make new lifelong friends but it's difficult and once you aren't living in the dorms and near each other, everything changes. Having friends and family close to you helps the transition into college a lot easier and less stressful. If I could go back I'd tell myself that yes college is the best four years of your life, but it's also your hardest so don't give up.

The best thing about University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is the diversity and their environmental-friendly campus. The degree of majors here is great ranging from many natural resource majors to the fine arts so there is a lot of different people you get to meet and become friends with. The environmental-friendly campus is awesome because we are trying to help the environment out and learn about what our global footprint is and how it impacts the areas around us. It's very eye-opening and they let us try to solve these issues ourselves.

The most frustrating thing about University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is really nothing. The only thing that ever really bothers me is registration for courses but it's probably just as frustrating here as it is at any other university where you get into some classes and not into others. Nothing else really bothers me which is awesome.

Jun

3 things. First, stick to my old habit of not procrastinating and always doing all my work in a timely manner. Most student, particularly in College, gets sidetrack of a lot of activities resulting to procrastination. Secondly, always ask questions. I find this very helpful because a lot of student, specially freshmen, don't ask questions because they are shy or they're not use to their surrounding. Asking questions could really help a student in many areas such in class, social activities, and any other outside matter. And lastly, I would remind myself to never forget to have fun. College is one of the most precious things you could experience in life. Not many people get the chance to ever step on college. Don't sweat, remain smile, and have fun.

I think a person that wants to attend this school should be open minded. There is a large community of people from all over the world that should be taken with an open mind that you can learn a lot from. It's just the right size for those who don't like big cities, but just enough to be entertaining. It's quiet, most of the time, and it's clean with a large amount of parks and nature trails. Plenty to do on campus and in the community.

In the art department it is a little more difficult to get by, especially financially. Other than that, I really like the school.

Katelyn

I would tell myself to learn how to find study tips that work for me and stop trying to be like everyone else. I would pay attention eariler as to how I did so well in school without really trying, but realize that college is different than high school and that even if you are naturally gifted, at Mount Mary they challenge you so much that you need to buckle down earlier and don't rest on your morels. Try harder ealier and I could have achieved even more. I would have made myself work on my time management and self disapline in my first year of college.

It is extremely expensive, and financial aid is really mainly given to certain races or women that come from a certain geological area in Milwaukee. So a free ride will be handed to someone who doesn't neccessarily have as much if any drive or passion just because they met certian qualifications.

There is run around you can get when dealing with administrative problems, being signing up for classes, business, or financial aid problems. No one wants to take the time to figure it out with you, and would rather pass the buck to someone else. I love the small class sizes but its also a double edged sword sometimes becuase then you only have one option to get a class in and if it has conflicts then you might have to wait up to two full years in order to take that class again.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.