Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Kalene

I know that education has always been an extremly important goal in my life, and finding a college that fits who I am wasn't something that came lightly to me. I wanted t make sure it was the righ college, and I found that in Stevens Point Wisconsin. I know that it is a friendly laid-back atmosphere that calms me down after living in a pretty big city of Naperville, Illinois. I trust the campus and staff and everyone has always been encouraging and understanding towoards my transfer. It was a smooth process, and it relieves me to know that I've found a great University for me.

Do not be afraid to get involved. The area is friendly and focused on education. It makes one feel like they belong, where a bigger college does offer great education, a small school offers a place that feels like a home. The type of person that attends here is open, honest, and eager to make new friends.

I definetly wouldn't recommend this school to someone who does not appreciate nature. The school is located right next to a Forest preserve and a lot of the campus is focused on being environmentally friendly. Also, remember that winter in Wisconsin can be tough, so make sure that you relatively enjoy the snow and icy cold.

Elena

As a confident college sophmore I would walk up to my apprehensive, shy, and unsure 18 year old self and tell her that there is no reason to be unhappy with your life because living with a more positive attitude makes life that much more enjoyable. Love yourself and everything you do, you are your own unique person and people can see that you have things to contribute to the world that no one else has. You may encounter some obstacles that may make you question the path you are following, but that's what life is all about, learning from mistakes. Conquer your fear of talking to new people, there are people out there who want to hear what you have to say. You will find the college of your dreams, and a group of friends that will make you feel like a million dollars. You will pursue your dream of working with animals as a career, and you will find a man that loves you for who you are. For the first time in your life you will feel like the beautiful, smart, talented, creative human being you were born to be, so smile, because life is spectacular!

The worst thing about Stevens Point has nothing to do with the school itself, but rather the weather. Winter in Stevens Point is pretty awful. It is absolutely freezing outside, so walking to class or to go eat is a nasty experience, and when you get inside it is so hot that you sweat or your glasses steam up. It is just an unpleasant, boring season since the only thing you can really do is sit in your dorm and watch movies. Besides that, I really have no complaints about Point. It's an excellent campus with a great atmosphere.

Anyone who is into being outside and experiencing nature should go to Stevens Point. City people will not feel at home here and may get bored with the limited amount of places to go. People raised in small suburbs or rural areas however will find Point to have many fun opportunities and lots of friendly, happy people to make friends with. My experience here has been great, I quickly made lifetime friends and find that the education here fits my needs perfectly as a person who is interested in nature and learning about helping the environment.

Claire

The school itself is really great, with very knowledgeable teachers and a strong network of advisors.

The majority of my classmates are majoring in Natural Resources, so things like deer hunting, ice fishing, and beer are the most commonly overheard topics of conversation.

Breathe. Take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. You see that? There, right there. That is the face of a college student. That is the face of someone who is putting a k-12 education behind her, and is now moving up to the level of--oh my God--secondary education. Don't worry about your college classes, because some of them are easier than high school. Don't worry about meeting people, because you'll be great. Don't worry about forgetting something, because your mom loves you enough to mail you anything you've forgotten. Most importantly, don't worry about the people you're leaving behind. This is when your life truly becomes YOURS. So, my advice to you, a bright-eyed college freshman? Hindsight may be 20/20, but if you keep looking backwards you're bound to be tripped up by the present. Let these next four years be spent only looking to the future.

Sierra

Having been in college and being a second semester college student, I would encourage all high school seniors to understansd the importance of time management. In college, you are expected be able to get everything done in a certain amount of time with no excuses. I would also encourage students to learn the trade of note taking. Everything written down, will not be on the test , and it will be your job to know exactly what the important things are by doing an excellent job of listening. My piece of advice would be, not to worry or stress about college. It is a time in your life where you begin to discover who you are, so enjoy the experience as much as possible.

The only problem with my school is that the Unviersity is located in a VERY small town. The students here do not have alot to choose from as far as weekend activities, or activities period for that matter. School events as such football, basketball, or track meet are about the only thing that keep students here on the weekend. We have one movie theatre, and a shopping center which is located in the next town over. Location plays a key factor in the improvements this school could possibly make.

Although this school is small, that has an advantage as far as the campus size. The buildings in which the classes are held are all close to one another. That makes finding classes and getting there on time easy. The professers here are also very helpful when seeking extra help outside of the classroom. The Unviersity is overall a solid place of higher education.

I would tell myself that attendance is extremely important and is valued by the professors. I would also prepare myself for meeting people of various cultures, ethnicities, race, color, disabilities, etc. With meeting new people comes the opportunity of peer pressure. I would tell myself to associate with the right people and to not let the wrong ones drag you down a road that would be troublesome. It can be hard to stay on the right track. Another word of advice would be to be frugal with money and don't waste it on needless material things. Student loans is money that you have to pay back and with interest it's practically double the amount that you originally took out. Overall, I would tell myself to stay focused and driven. The amount of effort you put in is the same as what you get out of it.

The best thing about my school is that it's a smaller community compared to most schools. Students are able to interact and become acquainted with the teachers. My school is large enough to have a variety of options but it's also small enough to have more one on one communication and that I feel is necessary for learning.

One thing I would change about my school is the fact that students are not required to buy the textbooks because they are rented out. These textbooks are great resources for when we start our careers and even though we have the option of buying them later in the year most students don't because by that time they have spent all of their extra cash. Even the teachers agree that some of the books are a necessity in our careers.

Simin

How many times have you heard the college life is a lot easier than being in high school? When I was a senior in high school, I couldn?t wait to go to college. I thought that going to college was going to be so much fun and easy. College is not as easy as everyone thinks. If I could go back in time to when I was a senior, college would be a lot different for me now. I would give myself some much advice that would make my transition to college a lot easier. College professors and high school teachers are completely different. In high school, I had teachers that stayed on top of me if I missed any work, made sure that I was always caught up, and some teachers were very lenient on work. Some college professors don?t care if you fail or not, never toke attendance, and checked homework. I had to make sure that I was caught if I missed a day. I don?t mean to scare you, but college is hard and requires dedication and discipline. Consider the following advice. Be organized Stay on top Go to class everyday Speak up!!!

UWSP is overall a good university. I wouldn't consider anything bad about my school.

Professors at UWSP are not very organized. Some classes have most of their work online, which can be difficult when you need to ask questions.

Heather

I would advise myself to basically continue what I was doing. During my high school career I was already studying hard and doing my homework, but I woud also tell myself to lighten up. College is not as difficult as I thought it would be so I tried a lot harder in high school than I think I needed to, and I also put myself through a lot of extra stress. Finally, I would tell mself to open up. I was so closed off in high school I felt lonely. I would tell myself to get out into the world at college because college can be as fun or as scary as you want it to be.

I would consider the food to be the worst thing about my school. While it is admirable that the school uses students to do the cooking, the recipies they try tend to come out a little worse for wear.

I tell me friends that the school hs an amazing educational program. Its classes are a little difficult, but it's worth it. The teacher are always there to help out whenever you need them; you just have to take the inititive to locate them.

Nathaniel

What makes UWSP so unique is our education program and the quality of the education. I came from Milwaukee and I found that for a school to be this affordable and to yet offer so much in terms of academics is truly as diamond in the rough. UWSP is very cheap and yet manages to offer a great product. I also believe that UWSP is unique because we have a beautiful nature preserve right on campus for everyone to use and enjoy.

The best piece of advice I would give myself past self about selecting colleges would be to conduct more research into various schools and to apply for more scholarships. In high school I only searched through 2 or 3 schools before deciding to go to UWSP and I wish I had looked and more. Although UWSP has some great programs in academics they lack in many areas I am interested in, mainly a thriving campus ministry. I wish I could go back and tell my past self to spend more time visting a variety of public and private schools and to also apply for more scholarships than I did. I didn't recieve any more for school so I settled on a public school. I would urge my past self to apply to as many schools and possible and as many scholarships as possible because the only bad thing that could happen would be to still recieve no money. I just wish I had a second chance to explore more options and to gain a greater understanding of other schools so I could have made a more informed decision about the next four years of my life.

The best thing about UWSP has to be the classes and teachers. Even though some of the topics can seem a little boring at times, the teachers and professors truly make each class enjoyable and fun while still giving us the information we need to succeed. I also enjoy the variety of the classes and how even the basic introductory classes are exciting and interesting.

Hallie

Dear Hallie, I'm writing from the future, and I've experienced your life up to a college sophomore, so it would be wise to take this as seriously as you can. First of all, you've been stuck in a rut since highschool started, and you immediately start college with a much improved study schedule. However, there will always be setbacks, and I must warn you to be wary of your new roomate. You've been told so many times how clueless and weird you are, and your new roomate has the same mindset about you. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let her bring you down the same as others have. This will set your self confidence back miles. So the solution might be to ignore her, and remind yourself of your kindness and worth, knowing you can and will learn fluent french, and he science of psychology. Furthermore, find friends who can laugh with you and respect your goals and be there for you no matter what. Lastly, never give up Big Brothers Big Sisters. Volunteering holds just as many lessons as a costly three credits does.

I consider UW-Stevens Point's environmentally conscious atmosphere to be the best thing about it. Not only does it have a multitude of classes focusing on the environment and how to care for it; there is also a large nature reserve on campus for anyone in the campus or public community to enjoy. I am not a Natural Resources or Biology major, like most students on campus, but I still appreciate breathing the fresh air wherever I go in Stevens Point.

Someone who loves a city life should not attend the University of Stevens Point. The college is a medium sized school in a medium, leaning toward small, town. There are plenty of stores for students to find food, music, clothes, coffee, things most college kids use. However, the night life and weekend life isn't as busy or glitzy as a city's night or weekend life.

Shannon

UW Stevens Point is a tightly knit community. Living on campus gives you access to hundreds of activities and countless campus events, while still being small enough to allow a sense of family and cimmunity. My teachers all know each student by name, and they form true relationships with their classes. Several programs are available to keep new students on the right track, and there is always something going on. Between our diverse student organizations and our entertainment company, Centertainment, students are never just stuck in their rooms. Stevens Point is a safe, small town school with big time attitude.

Picking a colleg can be really stressful, and if you do not check out all the options, you can make some really big mistakes. Talk to your advisors- go to all the annoying sessions they hold. Really talk with visiting college representatives. Go to college fairs. Never give up because it is too much effort. It may seem overwhelming now, especially when you have filled out dozens od scholarship applications and never seem to hear anything back, but it really is worht it. Try and keep yourself organized. Set aside a certain time each week to look at colleges and apply for scholarships, and keep a notebook or a word file documenting everything. Trust me, it will make things much easier in the long run. Just remember, college is the first big thing that is up to you- make it what you want it to be.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.