Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Sierra

Having been in college and being a second semester college student, I would encourage all high school seniors to understansd the importance of time management. In college, you are expected be able to get everything done in a certain amount of time with no excuses. I would also encourage students to learn the trade of note taking. Everything written down, will not be on the test , and it will be your job to know exactly what the important things are by doing an excellent job of listening. My piece of advice would be, not to worry or stress about college. It is a time in your life where you begin to discover who you are, so enjoy the experience as much as possible.

The only problem with my school is that the Unviersity is located in a VERY small town. The students here do not have alot to choose from as far as weekend activities, or activities period for that matter. School events as such football, basketball, or track meet are about the only thing that keep students here on the weekend. We have one movie theatre, and a shopping center which is located in the next town over. Location plays a key factor in the improvements this school could possibly make.

Although this school is small, that has an advantage as far as the campus size. The buildings in which the classes are held are all close to one another. That makes finding classes and getting there on time easy. The professers here are also very helpful when seeking extra help outside of the classroom. The Unviersity is overall a solid place of higher education.

I would tell myself that attendance is extremely important and is valued by the professors. I would also prepare myself for meeting people of various cultures, ethnicities, race, color, disabilities, etc. With meeting new people comes the opportunity of peer pressure. I would tell myself to associate with the right people and to not let the wrong ones drag you down a road that would be troublesome. It can be hard to stay on the right track. Another word of advice would be to be frugal with money and don't waste it on needless material things. Student loans is money that you have to pay back and with interest it's practically double the amount that you originally took out. Overall, I would tell myself to stay focused and driven. The amount of effort you put in is the same as what you get out of it.

The best thing about my school is that it's a smaller community compared to most schools. Students are able to interact and become acquainted with the teachers. My school is large enough to have a variety of options but it's also small enough to have more one on one communication and that I feel is necessary for learning.

One thing I would change about my school is the fact that students are not required to buy the textbooks because they are rented out. These textbooks are great resources for when we start our careers and even though we have the option of buying them later in the year most students don't because by that time they have spent all of their extra cash. Even the teachers agree that some of the books are a necessity in our careers.

Simin

How many times have you heard the college life is a lot easier than being in high school? When I was a senior in high school, I couldn?t wait to go to college. I thought that going to college was going to be so much fun and easy. College is not as easy as everyone thinks. If I could go back in time to when I was a senior, college would be a lot different for me now. I would give myself some much advice that would make my transition to college a lot easier. College professors and high school teachers are completely different. In high school, I had teachers that stayed on top of me if I missed any work, made sure that I was always caught up, and some teachers were very lenient on work. Some college professors don?t care if you fail or not, never toke attendance, and checked homework. I had to make sure that I was caught if I missed a day. I don?t mean to scare you, but college is hard and requires dedication and discipline. Consider the following advice. Be organized Stay on top Go to class everyday Speak up!!!

UWSP is overall a good university. I wouldn't consider anything bad about my school.

Professors at UWSP are not very organized. Some classes have most of their work online, which can be difficult when you need to ask questions.

Heather

I would advise myself to basically continue what I was doing. During my high school career I was already studying hard and doing my homework, but I woud also tell myself to lighten up. College is not as difficult as I thought it would be so I tried a lot harder in high school than I think I needed to, and I also put myself through a lot of extra stress. Finally, I would tell mself to open up. I was so closed off in high school I felt lonely. I would tell myself to get out into the world at college because college can be as fun or as scary as you want it to be.

I would consider the food to be the worst thing about my school. While it is admirable that the school uses students to do the cooking, the recipies they try tend to come out a little worse for wear.

I tell me friends that the school hs an amazing educational program. Its classes are a little difficult, but it's worth it. The teacher are always there to help out whenever you need them; you just have to take the inititive to locate them.

Nathaniel

What makes UWSP so unique is our education program and the quality of the education. I came from Milwaukee and I found that for a school to be this affordable and to yet offer so much in terms of academics is truly as diamond in the rough. UWSP is very cheap and yet manages to offer a great product. I also believe that UWSP is unique because we have a beautiful nature preserve right on campus for everyone to use and enjoy.

The best piece of advice I would give myself past self about selecting colleges would be to conduct more research into various schools and to apply for more scholarships. In high school I only searched through 2 or 3 schools before deciding to go to UWSP and I wish I had looked and more. Although UWSP has some great programs in academics they lack in many areas I am interested in, mainly a thriving campus ministry. I wish I could go back and tell my past self to spend more time visting a variety of public and private schools and to also apply for more scholarships than I did. I didn't recieve any more for school so I settled on a public school. I would urge my past self to apply to as many schools and possible and as many scholarships as possible because the only bad thing that could happen would be to still recieve no money. I just wish I had a second chance to explore more options and to gain a greater understanding of other schools so I could have made a more informed decision about the next four years of my life.

The best thing about UWSP has to be the classes and teachers. Even though some of the topics can seem a little boring at times, the teachers and professors truly make each class enjoyable and fun while still giving us the information we need to succeed. I also enjoy the variety of the classes and how even the basic introductory classes are exciting and interesting.

Hallie

Dear Hallie, I'm writing from the future, and I've experienced your life up to a college sophomore, so it would be wise to take this as seriously as you can. First of all, you've been stuck in a rut since highschool started, and you immediately start college with a much improved study schedule. However, there will always be setbacks, and I must warn you to be wary of your new roomate. You've been told so many times how clueless and weird you are, and your new roomate has the same mindset about you. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let her bring you down the same as others have. This will set your self confidence back miles. So the solution might be to ignore her, and remind yourself of your kindness and worth, knowing you can and will learn fluent french, and he science of psychology. Furthermore, find friends who can laugh with you and respect your goals and be there for you no matter what. Lastly, never give up Big Brothers Big Sisters. Volunteering holds just as many lessons as a costly three credits does.

I consider UW-Stevens Point's environmentally conscious atmosphere to be the best thing about it. Not only does it have a multitude of classes focusing on the environment and how to care for it; there is also a large nature reserve on campus for anyone in the campus or public community to enjoy. I am not a Natural Resources or Biology major, like most students on campus, but I still appreciate breathing the fresh air wherever I go in Stevens Point.

Someone who loves a city life should not attend the University of Stevens Point. The college is a medium sized school in a medium, leaning toward small, town. There are plenty of stores for students to find food, music, clothes, coffee, things most college kids use. However, the night life and weekend life isn't as busy or glitzy as a city's night or weekend life.

Shannon

UW Stevens Point is a tightly knit community. Living on campus gives you access to hundreds of activities and countless campus events, while still being small enough to allow a sense of family and cimmunity. My teachers all know each student by name, and they form true relationships with their classes. Several programs are available to keep new students on the right track, and there is always something going on. Between our diverse student organizations and our entertainment company, Centertainment, students are never just stuck in their rooms. Stevens Point is a safe, small town school with big time attitude.

Picking a colleg can be really stressful, and if you do not check out all the options, you can make some really big mistakes. Talk to your advisors- go to all the annoying sessions they hold. Really talk with visiting college representatives. Go to college fairs. Never give up because it is too much effort. It may seem overwhelming now, especially when you have filled out dozens od scholarship applications and never seem to hear anything back, but it really is worht it. Try and keep yourself organized. Set aside a certain time each week to look at colleges and apply for scholarships, and keep a notebook or a word file documenting everything. Trust me, it will make things much easier in the long run. Just remember, college is the first big thing that is up to you- make it what you want it to be.

Jacqulyn

The University of Stevens Point has a great education program and theatre program. Also, the campus emphasizes the students and their needs. They do what they can to help us financially, mentally, and physically. Once I joined this college, I knew I would leave with great knowledge, experience, and a will to achieve my goals even after all of my schooling.

I would tell myself to be confident and self-disciplined. College really isn't as big and scary as you think. You are not the only freshman starting in a new school. It is a time to make friends and start new experiences while moving on in your education. Never give up on your goals because you know you can succeed in what ever you do. The transition may be hard when moving into a small room and sharing it with a roommate, but you will make plenty of great memories with that roommate. Making friends will be a great experience and they will be some of the people to remain in your life for a very long time. Your family is very proud of you and they will always support you through your decisions. Finally, try to engage in as many activities and clubs as possible while you are in college. The next four years of your life will be great and unforgettable. The college life may be stressful at times, but you will get through those hards times and move on into bigger and better things.

Looking back, I wish I would have taking the time to get to know the campus and all that it offered. To this day I am still finding new activities and programs to join. There is a lot of options, more than you would expect for classes, clubs, and other activities. The school doesn't only care about your learning program and ability, but the all around health of your body and mind.

Jackie

The senior Jackie made some mistakes that could have been avoided if she would have known what I know now. She should have decided what school she wanted to attended by the end of her senior year. Changing schools so much left me with the worst classes when I signed up for orientation. The worst classes with the poorest teachers left me with a poor grade point average. Although college is easy to adjust to if you make friends easy, it?s also easy to spend your money fast. I should have started seriously saving my money my junior year of high school. I wouldn?t be so worried about money all the time if I would have made that simple start. Other than those two issues that are constantly weighing on my mind, I think the senior Jackie and I prepared rather well.

Willy

Generally friendly people, although many students tend to stay close to people they knew in high school, and new students may find it a hard time to meet new people unless they actively involve themselves in campus groups or activities. Most students are from the rural, northern Wisconsin area, with a few exceptions.

When making a college decision, I would say the most important piece of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to have multiple reasons why you think one school would be a good fit for you. If you rush into a decision just to be one of those kids who gets their acceptance letter in fall or winter instead of late spring, you may have overlooked some key factors that you will later learn to be very important in how you transition into college life. I rushed into a decision to attend college, and I regretted it and ended up transfering to another university for the spring semester. To anyone who is looking at making a college decision, take your time. The more thought and effort you put into your final decision will just make your college experience that much more enjoyable.

I would reccommend this University to someone interested in a natural resources career, or someone from the more rural areas surronding the Stevens Point area of Wisconsin. I would not reccommend this school from someone from a larger city such as Minneapolis or Milwaukee because the secludedness of the town can be quite a culture shock.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.