Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Willy

Generally friendly people, although many students tend to stay close to people they knew in high school, and new students may find it a hard time to meet new people unless they actively involve themselves in campus groups or activities. Most students are from the rural, northern Wisconsin area, with a few exceptions.

When making a college decision, I would say the most important piece of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to have multiple reasons why you think one school would be a good fit for you. If you rush into a decision just to be one of those kids who gets their acceptance letter in fall or winter instead of late spring, you may have overlooked some key factors that you will later learn to be very important in how you transition into college life. I rushed into a decision to attend college, and I regretted it and ended up transfering to another university for the spring semester. To anyone who is looking at making a college decision, take your time. The more thought and effort you put into your final decision will just make your college experience that much more enjoyable.

I would reccommend this University to someone interested in a natural resources career, or someone from the more rural areas surronding the Stevens Point area of Wisconsin. I would not reccommend this school from someone from a larger city such as Minneapolis or Milwaukee because the secludedness of the town can be quite a culture shock.

The first piece of advice I give to you, Amanda the high school senior, is to immerse yourself as fully as you can in the college community. By this I mean get involved, whether that be in various student organizations, study groups with fellow students, or that impromptu volleyball game that?s occurring right next to your dorm. College is really the one of the only times where you?ll experience a community such as this, so dive in! The second piece of advice I?m going to give you is to be used in direct correlation with the first. It is as follows: go to class. Of course, this may seem so simple to you now, but trust me, when you find out just how much there is to do in this crazy college community, you may be tempted to hit the snooze button all the way through your first class and play basketball through your second. But imagine that every time you go to class, you pay part of your tuition up front and every time you elect to skip class, you still have to pay that cost. Starts to look pretty wasteful to skip, doesn?t it?

In my opinion, the best thing here at UWSP is our commitment to the environment and to finding more environmentally-friendly methods and approaches to the things we do on campus and in the community. There is huge focus on this in our classes and the majority of students major in subjects relating to the environment and the management of natural resources. We are even fortunate enough to have a nature reserve right here on campus to conduct research in as well as to enjoy after a long day of studying!

I would say that the lack of focus on cultural studies would be the worst thing about UWSP. While there are programs in which one can study this, I believe that an important subject such as this requires more of an emphasis and it is unfortunately overshadowed and underfunded by other areas of study. It is my wish that cultural/international studies would receive more funding and that the university would encourage more students to get involved in this area.

UW-Stevens Point has a strong sense of community. Students and other community members in the area are very proud to be support Pointer athletics and wear purple and gold (our school colors). The people in Stevens Point are really genuine and willing to help you if you need it and that goes for the entire community, not just the school. Overall I believe UW-Stevens Point is an amazing place to be a student and a regular community member.

If I could go back in time, the first thing I would say is to relax. Things went much more smoothly once I relaxed and got into a routine. The second thing I would say is to stay on top of all your readings, especially in Chemistry. Chemistry wasn't your thing in high school so you have to stay on top of the homework in college. Another thing would be to ask for a little more help from professors, they explain things well in class but the moment you leave the room it's as if some of the things they said didn't really make as much sense as you thought. The last thing I would say is try to be more outgoing. Be willing to meet new people and make new friends. It might seem hard at first, but once you start putting yourself out there it will get easier, I promise.

For me, there isn't a most frustrating thing about UW-Stevens Point. We have amazing food, the campus is the perfect size for a small-town girl like me, the classes have been challenging and personally I like a challenge, my professors have been great especially if you need help outside of the classroom, Stevens Point is a great town to be in, our athletics are fun to watch. I have yet to come across something that has truely frustrated me about my school.

Erica

My classmates are all unique with different experiences, backgrounds, and desires; however we all have the drive to succeed and better ourselves.

At my school, there are many more opportunities for studying abroad. The dietetics program that i am in is one of the best in the state and very well-known. The campus is small and easy to navigate. It also has a lot of students but not an overwelming number which makes it easier to communicate with my professors and develop bonds with the people around me.

I had a fairly easy transition to college life. However, I would tell myself to save up as much money as possible because it becomes very scarce in college. I would tell myself to keep in touch will all my friends back home through emails and phone calls and keep updated on their lives. I would tell myself to go to any activities going on around campus and meet as many people as possible. I would also tell myself to not burn bridges because college can get lonely and it helps to have as many friends there for you as possible.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, the main advice I would give myself is: to enjoy my senior year but don't lose sight of the goals you want to accomplish in life. Senior year is not meant to be a total slack off year and I would tell myself to enjoy it but to not forget what my responsibilities are. I would also tell myself to never give up. Even when the world is crashing down around you and seems like everyone hates you, don't ever give up. If you truly put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. I know that my high school self would be skeptical but I would push the fact that hard work and hope are the keys to a successful future. Finally I would tell myself that I need to always believe in myself because if I believe in myself and continue to be a hardworker I can accomplish anything.

The best thing about Stevens Point is the fact that the professors actually care about the students and want them to succed in their majors. It is nice to feel that sense of security in a public university. Not many universities can offer that same security.

I'm a conservative republican and the most frustrating thing is all the intense liberals at my school. Our school has many liberals who are constantly speaking their opinion and getting in your face about it. It is very annoying.

Casey

You don't have to buy the class books, you rent them! It's not a huge city, and there are plenty of places to go that are within walking distance. You don't have to pay for your meals daily, you get a meal plan typical to high school. Not many other schools have a nature reserve right on campus.

I would tell myself to realize that the first couple of weeks are going to be the hardest because that's how long it will take to get used to not seeing your family everyday. I would tell myself to keep an open mind about a lot of things, especially about the people I'm going to meet because they all have different backgrounds and they're not the same as the friends I made in High School. I would tell myself to get more involved with social and volunteer activities right away because that will be the most likely source of my best friendships at school. The biggest point I would want to get across to myself is that I shouldn't get so stressed about the academic portion of going to school because it will seem very similar to high school, just try to be more active in social activities.

When it's cold, it's cold. I wish there were more rooms in the residence halls so it could hold more people in them for me to meet.

Oralia

My classmates are true reliable friends who have given me new perspectives on many things in my everyday life that include being happy with who I am as well as being grateful for my accomplishment and my plans to further my education.

Leaving my home and entering college life was a complete culture shock. I no longer had my mother doing my laundry, cooking healthy home-cooked meals, or reminding me to be on time for my classes and events. I am now completely independent and having to rely on myself in order to stay on top of my health and my studies. A healthy lifestyle is vital for my school life because it allows me to function properly on day-to-day tasks. Eating, sleeping, and exercising are the key to a healthy lifestyle. Eating a well balanced meal will give me the energy to continue working hard during the day. Proper rest before a long and stressful day at school will give me an extra boost of alertness to stay focused in class. And continuing my exercise will relax and lower my stress level as well as maintaining a fit and healthy lifestyle. All this can be accomplished by simply organizing my time and making schedules in order to remind me of my top priorities which includes all school related work. And I must also not forget to make good friendships along the way to better my communication skills.

I have learned that the residence halls are the places where every student, regardless of their background, can feel comfortable and welcomed. Since being involved in the residence halls, I have better awareness towards recycling. Recycling is a big deal in the halls and I have learned how to properly recycle my materials. Furthermore, the residence hall community promotes opportunities for us students to interact with eachother in a more meaningful manner in order to gain a greater respect for individual differences and our academic careers. The residence hall community is the best thing in my school.

Klay

I would go back to myself and talk to myself about what career options that I wouldlike to persue. I tell myseld to look at my different options and figure out which option had a fair paying job and if it was something that I could do or the rest of my life. I would tell myself to figure out which optio I wanted andthen look for classes in high scool that will improve my chances in college and then also find a college that has a high graduation rate for the major that I would be enrolling in. I would also tell myself to find a school that aslo has a high employment rate for graduating students in the field that I choose to go into.

I wish I know more about the campus that I am attending. I should have looked at the types of people that go there and figured out weather or not this college as the one for me. I am a person who isn't too environmentally fiendly butthis school is and it has changed me and it is a big change. But if I would have known that before I went there I probably wouldn't have chosen the school.

The types of people that should not attend this school are people who are not indepent and are not willing to try new things, because at my school you are not close to many buildings that have the essentials for every day living. Therefore you have to go out on your own and walk to these buildings. Classes are spread throughout the campus as well. Students will have to be willig to try new things because the university has many activites and events going on every week that will help you learn about other students and learn about yourself.

Shannon

They are super environmentally concious which I love and there was a strons sense of community. Also the Campus Crusade for Christ movement is the largest in the State at Stevens Point.

Shannon, don't worry so much about college, you will get along great with a random roommate and the dorm that you ended in that you think is not cool is the dorm in which you will meet your best friends. Don't stress about deciding a major because you are going to change it. Not everyone has their life planned out before college. You change so much in college that the person you are now is different from the person you will become. Spend time with your family because when you go to college, they won't be there all the time for you. You don't have to worry what others think of you. Be yourself and let your true self-shine instead of conforming to others. Get involved in organizations right away so you get connected with a good group of friends. Start applying for scholarships now because once college starts, you will have less time to apply much needed aid. All in all, trust that your college experience will be the most rewarding, amazing and best experience thus far. You will learn many life lessons and see yourself grow and change in ways unimaginable.

During hunting season everyone goes home to hunt so there are not a lot of people there on the weekends.

Annie

Hey there! You?ve got a lot of changes coming up. It won?t be easy, but it will be good. So get ready, get excited, and remember this: Firstly, don?t worry; it won?t help. College brings new culture, new people, new ideas, and new values. You will have to remember who you are and trust yourself in order to deal with them. BUT, don?t hide from the changes. Take advantage of every opportunity and get involved. Staying separated will just alienate you. When it seems hard, be stubborn. It?s up to you, girl. Secondly, don?t get caught up in competition. It doesn?t matter who has the highest grade or went to the best prep school. You have a purpose: you?re at college because you want to get a good education in order to give back to the world. Stay directed and love it! Finally, I know you believe that you need to live for yourself or it isn?t worth living. That?s true, but it doesn?t mean you shouldn?t engage human dialogue. The world is more diverse than you can comprehend. Open your mind and enjoy. Love, Me

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.