University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

The worst thing about high school is how strongly students feel the need to meet today's social standards. Being a teenager today is hard when you are constantly being judged for things that shouldn't matter. In today's society, social standards are set very high. For example, all over the media we are shown images of what we are expected to look like to be successful, popular, and happy. They somehow forget that the most important thing to remember in high school is to be yourself and do what you enjoy most. Otherwise, you dread everyday of school.

The worst thing about Stevens Point has nothing to do with the school itself, but rather the weather. Winter in Stevens Point is pretty awful. It is absolutely freezing outside, so walking to class or to go eat is a nasty experience, and when you get inside it is so hot that you sweat or your glasses steam up. It is just an unpleasant, boring season since the only thing you can really do is sit in your dorm and watch movies. Besides that, I really have no complaints about Point. It's an excellent campus with a great atmosphere.

The only problem with my school is that the Unviersity is located in a VERY small town. The students here do not have alot to choose from as far as weekend activities, or activities period for that matter. School events as such football, basketball, or track meet are about the only thing that keep students here on the weekend. We have one movie theatre, and a shopping center which is located in the next town over. Location plays a key factor in the improvements this school could possibly make.

I would say that the lack of focus on cultural studies would be the worst thing about UWSP. While there are programs in which one can study this, I believe that an important subject such as this requires more of an emphasis and it is unfortunately overshadowed and underfunded by other areas of study. It is my wish that cultural/international studies would receive more funding and that the university would encourage more students to get involved in this area.

If I had to choose a "worst" thing about UWSP I would have to say the inability to live off-campus for the first two years. There are very specific circumstances which allow some underclassmen to live off-campus, however the stipulations strict which stifle many students' ability to live off-campus. It would be nice if I could live off-campus sooner than my junior year of college. That is really the only downside to attending school on this campus.

I don't think that there is anything too bad about my school, but if I had to choose I would say that would be the food for the dorms. It isn't horrible but it could be better. Also, since it is somewhat related, I would say that the meal plans are very good, you either have too many meals that you have to find ways to spend in various ways, or you have ot few and have ot ration your meals, there isn't a good sweat spot for a meal plan.

One thing I would change about my school is the fact that students are not required to buy the textbooks because they are rented out. These textbooks are great resources for when we start our careers and even though we have the option of buying them later in the year most students don't because by that time they have spent all of their extra cash. Even the teachers agree that some of the books are a necessity in our careers.

With this past election, I felt out of place as a republican since Stevens Point is a very Democratic city. It was very alienating how pushy the Obama campaigners got this election, making the few republicans wary of sharing beliefs. The weekends here are usually a lot of fun but not many people stick around since Stevens Point fits as a suitcase college due to the position of the city being in central Wisconsin.

The worst thing about the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point in my opinion would be the on campus housing. The dorm rooms tend to be constantly over heated. There is an abundance of noise pollution on weekdays when someone may be attempting to study, and the policies regarding noise are too strict on weekends when the noise level may be more appopriate.

I think the worst thing about the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is that you kind of feel like a number more than a person, especially if you came from a small high school. In high school, teachers made sure you got your homework down and were on task, but in college, I only had one professor actually remember my name and it felt difficult to fit in.