University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Maria

This school is great academically. The teachers are supportive and so is the other staff on campus. Racism on campus is my big issue. There have been a lot of events in just my first semester that have made me feel unsafe. I come from a place where drugs and crime are everywhere, but only when I have gotten to school here have a felt the need to walk around with pepper spray.

Emma

I love going to school here. I have a great number of opportunities to be involved and further my educational and career goals. The community of the University is close but has a wide range of people and interest that one is sure to find what they are looking for.

Dashanay

This school is great if your willing to adjust living in a small town. There are a lot of options class wise for science majors, but in other majors their are few options. Sadly it's a small percentage of diversity. It's also hard getting around, and finding jobs without a car due to the city bus odd hour and buss routes.

Summera

The food and dorms may not be the best, but the school itself is amazing. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved and to learn. There are a ton of leadership opportunities offered.

Brianne

Overall, it's a diverse campus with something for everyone the dorms may be a hard place to meet friends but people will never say no to an extra player for a game of ultimate of basketball. There's plenty of groups and organizations to find a home at. There's also plenty of dining options on campus as well as off campus so you'll never starve.

Clarinda

UWSP offers a wide variety of academic opportunities through internships for almost every major, lots of extracurriculars, many major programs, and the staff and counselors are very helpful and take time to know you and get you where you need to go.

Paige

UWSP taught me how to handle myself, develop my artistry, and fuel my creativity. I found myself in these years I have had attended this University thus far. There is always something to do in the tiny town atmosphere and an incredible community that takes care of you. Go Pointers!

Kailyn

I think it's okay. Some professors and staff are helpful, some are not. Parking sucks. I live an hour away so don't know about the housing. They just made online classes have a $50 per credit fee which sucks. I don't know what things there are to do on campus, as I don't live there.

Shalyn

The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is a wonderful school! It is very affordable and has all the amenities of a larger university (i.e. UW-Madison). The dorms are very well kept and there are numerous study nooks for when you just want to get away and study. It is quality education at an affordable price!

Autumn

It's an awesome campus with great people and teachers. The staff is easy to approach and work with. They have one of the greatest colleges for anything natural resource and for teaching. It's a beautiful campus, especially​ with access to Schmeeckle Nature Reserve.

Alexis

There are so many things I love about UWSP. The campus is big enough to not feel tiny while small enough to maintain a home-like community. Professors are top-notch and always around to lend a hand, and there is always an abundance of resources at your disposal. Overall, UWSP does everything they can to look out for its students and their needs. It’s fantastic to be a Pointer!!

Alexis

I love being a UWSP Pointer. When I first toured the campus two years ago, I think I was there for about five minutes before I decided Point was where I needed to be - the campus is large but not too divided or spread out, the students there are intelligent, empathetic, kind, and passionate, and there is literally always something going on. If you're like me and have a hodgepodge of loves and passions in life, this is definitely a place to consider because the "somethings" that are always going on cater to just about everything you could think of. Love movies? Your student ID gets you free films in the university's theater. What about music? The music department on campus has concerts all the time, and the student government brings in entertainment throughout the year, too! Sports? We LOVE sports at Point, especially hockey. Anything you can think of, we probably have something to fill that interest.

Lily

Although I am only a freshman at UWSP, I have come to love the environment here. There are so many things to become involved in and options for every type of person. The staff is very friendly and are more than willing to help their students succeed in and out of school. Along with this, UWSP is a very eco-friendly school. There are recycling chutes on every floor in every dorm hall, lecture halls, and outside. This school tries very hard to create a clean, safe environment for students, staff, and visitors.

I am really happy I picked this school! For my program, all of the faculty are extremely supportive and want to help students succeed! It's a beautiful campus and I have really enjoyed my time there so far! I love the academic opportunities, but am very happy to be living off campus next year.

Shannon

UW-Stevens Point is a great school, academically. The UW system as a whole is experiencing massive budget cuts and smaller schools such as UWSP are feeling it harder than bigger schools like Madison. I personally am transferring out of the Wisconsin system next semester, partly due to the financial troubles the school seems to be experiencing. The campus is almost always dead, it feels more like a sleep away high school than what I pictured my college experience being like. There is also a MASSIVE drug culture, partly due to the natural resource students it attracts. I personally am in the college of natural resources and have seen almost half my friends from freshman year drop out because of drug problems and even more fall behind academically for the same reason. When researching colleges in high school UWSP seemed like the perfect fit for me, but after getting here it was apparent that was not the case. The classes themselves are great and professors are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. If I could take the academic side of the school and just put it on a different campus it would be the perfect college.

Rose

Stevens Point is a great place. I love the homey feel. There are lots of friendly people on campus. I love living in the dorms and having friends close. Wish I could meet a lot more people. I love going to the hockey games. Professors are very good and give you good feedback, very helpful to be successful in school.

Julia

I feel that this college is very inclusive to everyone, from all walks of life. It is a very friendly campus with lots of things to do. There are a lot of majors to chose from with a lot of support for all of them. I would recommend this college to those that understand the weather of central Wisconsin because there is a lot of walking from the dorms to the educational centers.

It is a very good school and I love living here. It, of course, isn't perfect we have some issues but overall it is a positive place to live and the community is very fun to be part of. Some of the issues we face are the amount of drinking and partying the occurs and the quality of the apartments rented to students.

Katelyn

The University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point is a campus unlike any other. Students can always be found outside playing sports, roller blading, hiking, or just studying in the sunlight. Many lessons are taught out of the classroom, as students need hands on activities with nature. UWSP is the best college for students interested in natural resources and bettering our environment.

I just finished my sophomore year of college at UWSP. I chose this college for many reasons, one being that it is only a half an hour from my hometown. The first year, I stayed in the dorms and had an amazing experience. The dorms were a decent size and comfortable. Life on campus was fun and memorable. The second year I lived at home with my parents to save some money and commuted to school. The drive wasn't all that bad and since I was commuting, it allowed me to pick up more hours at my hometown job. Living off campus was okay, I did miss living in the dorms and being apart of the community. I wasn't able to join any clubs or go to as many events as I would have liked but I the events I did go to were phenomenal. My school is very good at coming up with events and activities for the students to do for free. Academics I think are great. The teachers are very personable and enjoy getting to know their students on a one-to-one basis. Help is always available from them or the free tutors on campus. The number of majors are numerous and the content of the material is high quality. The class sizes are also small which I think is a bonus. Overall, UWSP is a small-town, people oriented college. You feel welcomed and comfortable wherever you go. I am very happy with my decision in attending UWSP and would definitely recommend it to others.

Jenna

It's a great, down to earth school. I feel very at home and welcomed into the Stevens Point community.

Sierra

I honestly love it there, it's not a big crazy campus that is generally seen in film, but it's not too quite like some of the ones where I'm from. Everyone can find something for them to do outside their major. I love being there and can't wait to go back after this summer.

Dylan

My overall opinion of Stevens Point is positive, except for the fact the administration is proposing to cut the humanities department. I went to school for English and minored in Env. Studies and Creative Writing. Now all the classes I took are in jeopardy of being cut and my teachers, whom I came to regard as friends, are facing possible unemployment. I give a 4 start because of my experience but I would not recommend this school to anyone now after the recent proposal.

Katelyn

I enjoy the school but I wish it was cheaper. I enjoy spending time with friends and having the opportunity to meet new ones. I love to learn and the guidance is available for me to do what I enjoy. I have many opportunities to do everything I want to.

Catherine

I think they do well to meet the needs of students. I am a student that is studying in the college of natural resources and the professors that I have are highly available. I also appreciate that my adviser is easy to talk to. The thing I appreciate the most would be the Conference opportunities.

Madeline

I have loved almost all of my professors here at UWSP. Most of them are extremely helpful and love seeing students succeed. The Paper Science and Engineering program is AMAZING and I love the low cost of attending compared to other universities. However, I wish there was more diversity and extracurricular activities. Recreational sports at Stevens Point are awesome!

Christopher

I love going to school here in Stevens Point. The professors are always available to talk and even make themselves available as early as 6am or as late into the evening as they need to for their students. Every faculty member I have ever met (even those who I don't even have to interact with on a daily basis has gone out of his or her way to make sure I get the help I need and do well in my classes. It is a very loving and wholesome community here and I appreciate every bit of it.

Crystal

College life is essentially what you make of it. Something unique about the school is that UWSP is the first school to teach environmental ethics. You'll see a lot of people in camp attire. They love to hunt here so much, there's a fridge in the basement just for game! The school isn't as diverse as I would like to be. Also, fun fact, If you've ever seen "That 70's Show," there's speculation that it takes place in a fictional city inspired by Stevens Point.

Valerie

I love it here I truly feel at home. I always have a place to go and someone to talk to. The staff and faculty here are very helpful, all you have to do is take the initiative and ask for the help you need. Many people will say hi to you as you walk to and from classes, it is very welcoming here.

Katherine

This university has given me the opportunity to follow my dreams, while not spending unnecessary money. I feel safe on campus and always have a place to go to get whatever I need to done. Professors are usually around to get into contact with if needed

Courtney

UW Stevens Point is a great college for people wanting a small but close knit community that feels like home. This school is a great school for natural resources and arts majors. The programs geared towards these majors are very respected. They also are very helpful when it comes to finances. They help you out as best as they can when it comes to academics as well.

Cierra

I enjoy the atmosphere of the university, I came from a small town school, so being able to experience different classes with small class sizes is something that is amazing. The professors are always available, either in their office or over email, and answer questions to the best of their abilities. They are also open to setting up meetings so they can make sure to help point you on the path to success.

Mari

UWSP is a wonderful school. Being in Stevens Point, the university offers a calm, hometown feel, allowing students to focus on their academics and college life rather than their being away from home. Students are given a multitude of opportunities, ranging from athletic to artistic to political to career driven.

Ellie

Personally, I enjoy how active students are with each other. Plus, there are numerous recreational activities that many can partake in such as soccer and basketball. There are a lot of parties going on around campus for people to attend if they wish too. The school's clubs are very well taken care of and offer a wide variety of things for the students to partake in.

Riley

Overall I think it is an alright school, but to be honest the parking lots stink and cause a lot of students problems. Also they seem to constantly be renovating something even though the enrollment here is decreasing. There is a small grocery store right by the campus so it is easy to pick up groceries if you need. Overall everything you may need is fairly close so if you live on campus you don't really need to bring a car, they have buses that can drive you around to nearby stores and apartments if needed.

Adrianna

It's a great school! After touring a few colleges in high school once I visited UWSP I knew where I wanted to go to for college. They have a great art program, while there aren't enough teachers, they make due and make sure every student has the input they need for projects. I'm currently a graphic design major so this helps a lot!

Alex

Stevens point is a great school! It's the perfect not too small, but not too big atmosphere on and around campus. I enjoy hanging out with fellow students on the weekends but tend to stay in and study during the week. If you are looking for a party school, this might not quite fulfill your hopes.

Hailie

The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point is a small college located in the heart of Stevens Point. It is a smaller college, so it really makes you feel at home. Overall, UWSP is an amazing college that is a great University for not only academics but meeting people around the area, and getting involved outdoors.

Paige

I was looking for a university that had a 'small town' feel with smaller class sizes and UWSP delivers. There are many extra-curricular groups and events going on all the time, that you'd be hard-pressed to not find a group with similar interests as you.

I love it

Anna

The University of Wisconsin Stevens Point makes you feel at home while getting the education and social aspect of the college life. Having only visited a few times, I already know that I want to call myself a Pointer. The small town feel helps students adjust to being away from home which is why I enjoyed this campus so much.