Menomonie, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stout

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stout

Erik

UW-Stout is most known for their focus on hands-on learning, along with required internships for most majors.

UW-Stout is a good choice for a school you can afford. Definitely make sure you take part in more activities on campus and get involved. Live on, or as close to campus for as long as possible to make this possible.

I wish I had known how big the drinking culture was here. I shouldn't have been surprised since it is a Wisconsin school, but most get-togethers consist of going to a bar near campus, or drinking at home. I don't drink, so this really limits my social interactions here at Stout.

Alyssa

As I started college, I simply assumed that my new life would probably be just as busy as my high-school life. I made my plans according to that notion, which included a 17-credit classload and 12-hour workweeks. I decided that I wanted to devote the majority of my time my studies and to paying for college. Sure enough, I was extremely busy; but I was not getting very much out of college life. I was not involved in any extracurriculars and I did not have very many friends. If I could give my high-school Senior self advice about starting college, I would tell myself to "start small. Don't simply take on large loads because you think you will need to be busy in order to succeed with your academics. Take your first semester to get acclamated with your new life and to gauge what you can handle. Also, make sure that you actually spend some time away from your studies and do things that you enjoy! Join a club or go to an event. Spending a little time socializing after a long day can be reinvigorating and will usually make you even more productive."

That it is pretty isolated--the town is very small and it is a good half hour to an hour's drive to the next big city, depending on which one you go to. Most people go home on weekends, so there is very little activity on campus at that time.

Someone who wants a hands-on learning experience and doesn't just want to sit in a lecture hall. Someone who enjoys personal interactions with professors and wants to engage in their education.

Patrick

UW Stout is a great school for people looking to get jobs in their field right out of college.

Stick with UW Stout, it is a great school, but search harder for financial aid, it may be a lower cost school but it is still very expensive.

People who don't want to do work to get their degree should not attend UW Stout.

Leah

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would focus on reassuring myself that all of the pieces were going to fall into place - with everything. The problems I had with my divorced parents would turn into strong relationships, the relationships I had with my friends weren't going to disappear like I thought they were going to. I would make sure to tell myself that even through the hard times I need to stay strong and keep my chin up - there's a sunny day ahead. I would say to hold tight to your knowledge and make your schedule busy, because that's how you know you function best. I've found out, without knowing all this as a high school senior, that it gets tough. Yet, it's do-able. Without knowing it, I've survived. And I will survive. It's about living with no regrets and no fear that anything can tear you down. Life is made to challenge you, to test and to try you. But it will never break you completely.

I wish I had known more about the logistics of the school. I find myself struggling to find the information I'm looking for and what offices can answer my questions. Most of the time I end up chasing in circles, finding out that the person that could have answered my question didn't, or that I asked them the wrong type of question.

When I brag about my school, it's often about the organizations available. The system the school has for clubs is well established, and if you somehow don't find the right club/organization for you, it's super simple to start a new one based off of something you enjoy. All you need is a few friends and to put in all your paperwork.

Daniel

There’s so much I would have loved to know, most of all I wish I knew how much challenging and applying myself would have paid off. Many of the classes I took in high school were exceptionally easy. The material wasn’t challenging it just came in enormous quantities. I wasn’t the kind of person that chose easy classes for the purpose of having a relaxing time; I took quite a few honors and AP courses. What I really should have done is put more time into my schoolwork and less time working or socializing. I’ve come to understand the importance of really challenging my limits, and how that can lead to growth and self-actualization. Many peers in High School recommended easy courses solely because they didn’t need to apply themselves, and it was lazy. If you’re offered free public schooling, you are obligated to make the most of it. A message Grade school administrators tried passing on, but many students didn’t listen. If I could go back to my High School self I would I would tell him my experiences and struggles. Knowing what it could do, I would have worked harder.

Honestly, It would have been extremely helpful to know how different college was from high school. High school is easier than college, which really underprepares students for the challenging life of college. Especially during senior year in high school many people like to slack off and take it easy. If anything they should try to take in all the material they can get their hands on. A great way to help avoid this struggle is to take AP or Honors classes even if you don’t succeed with flying colors, challenging yourself is the only way you will experience growth.

Something that is very obvious about UW Stout and many other colleges is the partying aspect. This can be very distracting and even dangerous for your educational journey. If you have trouble with time management and are extremely prone to peer pressure, then attending this school may lead to a struggle with your classes. I’m not implying that you should avoid this school because of that issue. If you know you have a great head on your shoulders and you are dedicated to focus on your major and develop your skills, then this is the right place for you.

Brenna

I would tell myself to remain true to herself no matter what, but not to be afraid to try new things and reach out. There will be so many opportunities and new experiences, it wil be overwhelming and it will feel as if you are no longer sure who you are. I would tell her not to worry, since that is part of moving on from one chapter of life to another. I would also tell her there are going to be moments of loneliness and boredom. It's not all excitement and adventure. I would tell her to take it one day at a time, and to not get too hung up on one person or one event, since there are so many other people and other things to do. I would tell her to stay kind, stay hopeful, and stay humble. I would tell her I got this far, and she will too.

The best thing about my school is the instructors. I was worried, coming from a small town, with friendly teachers, my college professors would be distant or uncaring, but that is fortunately not true. All of the professors I have had, or have just met, have done thier best to help me, as well as all thier other students to achive their full potential. They push their students to give their best effort in everything they do, as well as being available to listen and learn from their students as well.

I would reccomend Stout to any students who are self motivated and driven. The professors will do thier best to educate you, but it's a two way street. Also, anyone who wants a good sense of community in their school should attend Stout. There are many opportunities, no matter what a student's interests are, to find a space for them to feel accepted and involved.

Katherine

Knowing now what I didnt know back in high school, I would have told my high school-self not to get lost in the obsession with graduating from a big 4-year university, but rather to get a 2 year degree and then find the right university for me. I found out the hard way and went from one 4-year university right after high school to another 4-year university the next year to a smaller 2-year community college my third year of college. Once i graduate I will have taken 5 years of schooling to pursue an associates degree. I would advise that my younger self not get so lost in worrying about the finances, and focus more on school in the first years while I was still being supported by my family so I could get more done during that time. I would also make a point to tell my high school self to not worry about what's next or worry about the future. Life is more enjoyable when you aren't planning every minute of your life out, and you'll tend to enjoy it more too.

ELizabeth

Stout is a really great, technology driven school.

Stout is a really great, technology driven school.

Stout is best known for it's school of art and design. I'm a part of the school of art and design and it is really phenomonal.

If I could go back to the beginning of senior year in high school I would tell myself not to get senioritis. The first semester felt like every other one before it but when it came to semester two my motivation declined greatly. I’m not sure why but my mind just decided I was ready to be done with school. I had to really focus towards the end to maintain my 3.8 GPA. I think I would also tell myself to not let things stress me out so much. Applying to college, preparing for graduation, and keeping up with my course work took its toll on my stress level. I would tell myself to work hard but still take time to relax and not get caught up in the drama of life.

Danielle

Stout is a great school for people who are looking for a small campus and friendly professors and students.

The people here are very welcoming and hard-working, and won't hesitate to make conversation.

Don't worry about gettin scared before you leave home. If you are living in the residence halls it is really easy to find friends, and that is what makes it fun. And don't worry about not seeing your family and friends from home as much, because there are plenty of breaks from school and opportunities to go home on the weekends.

Melinda

By the time I had reached my senior year of high school, I was a walking label of every bad name I had ever been called by my peers. I was miserable, encased in self-loathing, and firmly convinced that I would never allow myself to continue my education at college. I was afraid that if I did, the bullying I had endured for twelve years would continue. I remained true to that fear for six years. If I, as my current self, had the opportunity to go back in time without causing irreparable damage to the continuum and speak to my seventeen year old self, I would tell her that where she is in her emotional state is okay. I would tell her that it’s okay to be angry because people were mean and cruel, and that it’s okay to take the time she needs to overcome her deeply ingrained fear of people before considering college. I would tell her that if she plunged herself into college before she was ready for it, that it would not fare well – but if she was patient with herself and allowed herself to heal, everything would end up being okay.

University of Wisconsin-Stout administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.