Menomonie, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stout

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stout

Emilie

I'm majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media at Stout. I love the campus and my classes, I'm just a little annoyed with how things are run. Checking out is a much bigger hassle than it really needs to be. It takes forever, especially if you get a picky RA or desk assistant. Registering for classes can be stressful, especially if you need General Education classes or a class section gets canceled.

Maddie
Uw Stout

Uw Stout

I've been learning at UW-Stout now for about a year, and it is AMAZING. I'm so happy to be a part of this college and involved with these people.

Kennedy
A little preview of UW-Stout

Stout is an awesome school!

A little preview of UW-Stout

Stout is an awesome school!

Hanna
stout

UW-Stout is an awesome school!

stout

UW-Stout is an awesome school!

I would give advice to myself about taking AP credits, because credits are expensive in college. I have the first year of college paid for - and the rest is going to be from loans. I took a lot of classes in high school that I was intereseted in, but not necessarily ones that gave me credit for college which was pretty tough. What I am happy is of my choices in high school is when I took business and marketing classes that are really helping me out right now. I would give advice to other students to take ACT prep and to take the exam seriously.

The worst thing about this school would be the size of the town. I love the school, but the town is small and the biggest store here is a Walmart. There is no mall which is okay by me. I like going to Eau Claire if I am in dire need of something specific.

University of Wisconsin - Stout is a polytechnic school that is very small and hands on. If someone learns better by big lecture halls they should not go here. This is a school that should be for people who need more one on one focus. We have a lot of specific majors as well. I am a Marketing and Business major which is only available in University of Wisconsin Stout and University of Wisconsin Whitewater.

Erik

UW-Stout is most known for their focus on hands-on learning, along with required internships for most majors.

UW-Stout is a good choice for a school you can afford. Definitely make sure you take part in more activities on campus and get involved. Live on, or as close to campus for as long as possible to make this possible.

I wish I had known how big the drinking culture was here. I shouldn't have been surprised since it is a Wisconsin school, but most get-togethers consist of going to a bar near campus, or drinking at home. I don't drink, so this really limits my social interactions here at Stout.

Alyssa

As I started college, I simply assumed that my new life would probably be just as busy as my high-school life. I made my plans according to that notion, which included a 17-credit classload and 12-hour workweeks. I decided that I wanted to devote the majority of my time my studies and to paying for college. Sure enough, I was extremely busy; but I was not getting very much out of college life. I was not involved in any extracurriculars and I did not have very many friends. If I could give my high-school Senior self advice about starting college, I would tell myself to "start small. Don't simply take on large loads because you think you will need to be busy in order to succeed with your academics. Take your first semester to get acclamated with your new life and to gauge what you can handle. Also, make sure that you actually spend some time away from your studies and do things that you enjoy! Join a club or go to an event. Spending a little time socializing after a long day can be reinvigorating and will usually make you even more productive."

That it is pretty isolated--the town is very small and it is a good half hour to an hour's drive to the next big city, depending on which one you go to. Most people go home on weekends, so there is very little activity on campus at that time.

Someone who wants a hands-on learning experience and doesn't just want to sit in a lecture hall. Someone who enjoys personal interactions with professors and wants to engage in their education.

Patrick

UW Stout is a great school for people looking to get jobs in their field right out of college.

Stick with UW Stout, it is a great school, but search harder for financial aid, it may be a lower cost school but it is still very expensive.

People who don't want to do work to get their degree should not attend UW Stout.

Leah

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would focus on reassuring myself that all of the pieces were going to fall into place - with everything. The problems I had with my divorced parents would turn into strong relationships, the relationships I had with my friends weren't going to disappear like I thought they were going to. I would make sure to tell myself that even through the hard times I need to stay strong and keep my chin up - there's a sunny day ahead. I would say to hold tight to your knowledge and make your schedule busy, because that's how you know you function best. I've found out, without knowing all this as a high school senior, that it gets tough. Yet, it's do-able. Without knowing it, I've survived. And I will survive. It's about living with no regrets and no fear that anything can tear you down. Life is made to challenge you, to test and to try you. But it will never break you completely.

I wish I had known more about the logistics of the school. I find myself struggling to find the information I'm looking for and what offices can answer my questions. Most of the time I end up chasing in circles, finding out that the person that could have answered my question didn't, or that I asked them the wrong type of question.

When I brag about my school, it's often about the organizations available. The system the school has for clubs is well established, and if you somehow don't find the right club/organization for you, it's super simple to start a new one based off of something you enjoy. All you need is a few friends and to put in all your paperwork.

Daniel

There’s so much I would have loved to know, most of all I wish I knew how much challenging and applying myself would have paid off. Many of the classes I took in high school were exceptionally easy. The material wasn’t challenging it just came in enormous quantities. I wasn’t the kind of person that chose easy classes for the purpose of having a relaxing time; I took quite a few honors and AP courses. What I really should have done is put more time into my schoolwork and less time working or socializing. I’ve come to understand the importance of really challenging my limits, and how that can lead to growth and self-actualization. Many peers in High School recommended easy courses solely because they didn’t need to apply themselves, and it was lazy. If you’re offered free public schooling, you are obligated to make the most of it. A message Grade school administrators tried passing on, but many students didn’t listen. If I could go back to my High School self I would I would tell him my experiences and struggles. Knowing what it could do, I would have worked harder.

Honestly, It would have been extremely helpful to know how different college was from high school. High school is easier than college, which really underprepares students for the challenging life of college. Especially during senior year in high school many people like to slack off and take it easy. If anything they should try to take in all the material they can get their hands on. A great way to help avoid this struggle is to take AP or Honors classes even if you don’t succeed with flying colors, challenging yourself is the only way you will experience growth.

Something that is very obvious about UW Stout and many other colleges is the partying aspect. This can be very distracting and even dangerous for your educational journey. If you have trouble with time management and are extremely prone to peer pressure, then attending this school may lead to a struggle with your classes. I’m not implying that you should avoid this school because of that issue. If you know you have a great head on your shoulders and you are dedicated to focus on your major and develop your skills, then this is the right place for you.

University of Wisconsin-Stout administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.