University of Wisconsin-Stout Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Stout

I'm a Freshman at UW-Stout this year. Thus far the school has been good. The teachers here have been very helpful and approachable; they are truly committed to their students and want them to succeed. For the most part my peers have been nice, approachable and approachable. As I design student I value that we are getting to actually learn the tools hands on instead of someone lecturing at us on how to use them. It's also nice that 95% of the classes for art design students are in laboratory classes versus lecture. The campus has safe, easy to navigate, the campus police are always driving around, very approachable and want to be friends with you not against you. Stout is also right across the street from the police and fire department. There's not really a whole lot going and most students seem to hang out versus go to events. I feel that school truly does love ALL of its student no matter background, sexuality or race. It's a very industry oriented and it shows. The students are truly Stout Proud.

Jacob

I think it's a very solid, small town college. Very strong in the arts, and very strong in engineering. It's a polytechnic college, so you are learning early in your intended major. Fantastic dining facilities, and very nice dorms. Plenty of groups and organizations to join.

Kaelyn

UW Stout lives up to being a "hands- on" school. Many of the classes give you the experience you need rather than just reading out of a book. Stout also prides itself on the Game Design and Development majors and the huge video game community they have there. I wouldn't have gone to any other school if I had to choose again.

Maddie

I've been learning at UW-Stout now for about a year, and it is AMAZING. I'm so happy to be a part of this college and involved with these people.

Christina

It's a very nice school. I enjoy the size of it. It's a small school, so you feel a little more safe than you would in a larger school, but it's large enough that there's always someone new to meet and something new to learn from someone. The professors at UW Stout are very accessible, and make sure to keep up with you to make sure you know what's going on and you are understanding the material. All and all, it is a very great school that I enjoy attending immensely.

Molly

It's a great school for students going into Hospitality, Engineering or Fashion. UW-Stout is a great school with lots of hands on experience. I really like the campus and how close everything is, even though Menomonie is small. I live four hours away from Stout and didn't realize that it was a suitcase school until arrival. I figured everyone would stay and the campus would be full of life on the weekends. Unless you go to parties every night or work on campus, there is nothing to do on the weekends. I noticed that a lot of people who attend Stout didn't travel far to come here, so most go home every Friday.

Kaitlin

This school is great for people that don't like lecture-style classes! Very hands-on learning. The professors have a great amount of passion for their classes they teach, and there is a fabulous amount of emphasis on outside-of-class experience. My resume is kicking butt, thanks to this school. One thing I love the most about this school is its focus on in-field experience. Most majors require a paid or unpaid internship as part of your graduation requirements, and the faculty advisors and professors are so quick to offer advice and feedback as well as connect you to professionals in your industry.

Claire

Stout is great for students from smaller towns within an hour of the campus, students looking for a school with a reputation of helping students get hired, and for students that are into art but don't want to pay art school prices. However, Stout is not my favorite, because of the lack of diversity, the shrinking budget, and being so far away from my home town. The facilities for my program are outdated and overused, the campus and town is very secluded, and the people are small-minded, but I am excited to eventually graduate and be working in my field.

Hanna

UW-Stout is an awesome school!

Kennedy

Stout is an awesome school!

Emilie

I'm majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media at Stout. I love the campus and my classes, I'm just a little annoyed with how things are run. Checking out is a much bigger hassle than it really needs to be. It takes forever, especially if you get a picky RA or desk assistant. Registering for classes can be stressful, especially if you need General Education classes or a class section gets canceled.

Tiffani

There are a lot of options for majors, especially for those who want an art major. I wish there were more options for clubs and organizations, a lot of them are in the same category. You can easily get a job on campus, especially for dining services and classes are next to the dorms.

Paige

I love this University!! UW-Stout is the only college I visited and the only college that I applied to. It has an amazing community and everybody is very closely knit. The entire community is welcoming and there is always something to do. You will never feel left out!

Nick

UW-Stout is a good small University but has plenty of flaws. I'm a person that is very into personal development and having intelligent conversations. At Stout that doesn't happen often because most people are too concerned with partying throughout the week and on the weekend.

Joshua

it is a very "hands-on" style of teaching which makes it perfect for those students who thrive in hands-on learning. the professors are always looking to help any student who asks. The housing is not very aesthetically pleasing but is sufficient in giving students easy, on-campus living, and open areas in order to improve the lively hoods of students. Overall UW-Stout is a great school.

Ryan

UW-Stout is located in the beautiful city of Menomonie, WI. The campus is well laid out and offers a variety of things to do and see. You will find that the distance to walk between North and South campus is only about ten minutes. The professors at Stout genuinely care about students and want to see us succeed. I have yet to find a professor who has not been helpful and available for any questions. I highly recommend this college and am proud to be a Blue Devil!

I love it here at UW Stout. It's a beautiful campus and the classes are great. The dorms are a little small, but that was expected. The people here at Stout are generally friendly and there are lots of things to do both on and off campus. Overall it does have it's problems, just like any other college, but If I could go back and choose a different college, I would still choose Stout.

Great school!

Noah

The University of Wisconsin-Stout is not your average university. Being the only public polytechnic university in the state allows students to receive hands on learning beginning their freshman year. This superb method of teaching is shown with the 97.4% employment rate after graduation. I am also involved in the Honors College at Stout, which includes small student to faculty ratios and more in depth classes. Along with the smaller classes everyone in Honors college gets together once a semester to discuss a book we have all read at a colloquium. The one other very unique feature that sets the Honor College apart at Stout is the honors contract, which is a self design project used to future understanding in any topic. The student is paired up with a professor to be their mentor and help them through the project. Overall, the University of Wisconsin-Stout is an awesome school with small classes, friendly students and professors, and a great learning environment!

Rodrigo

Throughout my year I encountered many interesting figures, I mean that in a good way. The class sizes are great to my fitting, not too big and not too small. The professors overall are great, the ones I've had anyway. Overall the school has treated me with great respect and am very hopeful for the years to come.

Brandon

This school is absolutely amazing! I love being a student here and it is the best experience of my life. The school has lots of extracurricular and great academics! There is always something for everyone to do. Everyone has a place and no one should feel left out. It is truly a great school and even though their is some partying it is strictly kept in the bars and the party scene is not really big on campus. The food is really good some of the best in the whole University of Wisconsin system and the faculties are great and faculty is always willing to help! This is a truly amazing school and I would recommend it to anyone! We have more labs than classrooms so instead of getting lectured all the time we are a hands on school and the classes are small enough to where we can develop personal relationships with our professors. I would choose Stout every time!

Darin

I love it, it has a beautiful campus, great staff, and is up to date on all technological advancements. All the professors are there to help you more than anything else, and all the people there are very kind, considerate, and intelligent. I love this campus and am so glad I get to go to school at UW Stout!

Desiree

University of Wisconsin Stout is a great school. I will be a new freshmen this fall. When I toured and keep learning about what the University has to offer it blows my mind. Stout is all about hands on learning instead of right from a text book. They want to make sure you have hands on experience in your chosen major from day one. They also do their best to make sure you succeed. My favorite thing about Stout is that they have lots of benefits and have lots to offer for their students.

Jasmine

University of Wisconsin-Stout is a great place for art majors who aren't looking into racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars in college debt. In my year here, I have seen tons of amazing and talented artists grow and prosper into working adults who found jobs BEFORE graduation. Internships are pushed from day one, the clubs/organizations are bringing in people from all over the world to give perspective students glimpses of what their career is REALLY like. It is honestly a gem, Stout is. This school is LGBTQ+ safe and is an advocate for sustainable living. Valuable friendships are being made every day and prosper after graduation. If you are looking for a school to challenge you, a diverse community to support you, or a program that will take you to the next level, University of Wisconsin-Stout is the school for you.

I love UW-Stout. The class size, professors, classes offered, food, dorm life, activities/athletics, and life in general on campus is great. I love how Stout encourages all students to be involved in some way and make participating fun. There is always something fun to do here, and always chances to make friends.

Colin

I really like the environment here. Everybody is friendly and nice to each other. The buildings are very modern and give an incredible learning experience during the lab classes. Also the town around is very compact so you can get pretty much everywhere in a few minutes.

Colin

It is a very good school with a positive atmosphere. The classes are easy enough so we understand but also hard enough to were we have to study and make sure we know what we are doing. The surrounding area is also very nice and has lots of places to go for fun or academic.

Natalie

University of Wisconsin-Stout has so much potential of being great! The academics, and everything professor related is fabulous! Campus life however, is what takes away from the experience. Often times I do not feel safe on campus, especially on weekends. Also, if staying in for the weekend there is not much to do because a good amount of the population is drinking.

It's a good university overall, as there are options and different activities to partake in. It takes it's science and business majors very seriously, but there isn't as much consideration when it comes to the School of Art and Design. It would be nice to see changes done to improve it, but they are trying.

I like the academic side of Stout. But the partying is a bit out of control. If you aren't super huge into partying, that is just fine. There is plenty of other things to do on campus and plenty of people will have the same views. The professors are great are always willing to help you out. The class size is also perfect.

William

General education classes at UW-Stout tend to be ‘large’ with a class size of more than 30 students; but, Stout is better known for its small class sizes of about 20 or less students. This allows both students and teachers to get to know one another easily. Teachers’ office hours are usually open too. I have had two instances where I had to wait a bit for a teacher to finally meet with me, but even that was not that big of a problem. The general education courses can be boring at times based on your professor and the course subject, but once you take classes more closely related to your major then they are sure to be more interesting and insightful. My first game design and development course allowed me to collaboratively work in a group with 3 members I did not know too well. This forced me to improve my interpersonal skills as well as my leadership skills. The classroom environment and professor’s support won my team the first-place award for the Best Freshman Game of the Year Award at the 2016 Stout Game Expo. I also enjoy the campus’ facilities such as the fitness center and the Memorial Student Center (MSC). I typically exercise three days a week so it is nice to have a fitness center so close to my dorm. I also use the MSC regularly to eat, study, or hang out with friends. If I went back in time and could repick my college path, I would choose to go back to UW-Stout.

Madison

On February 6, 2017, I experienced the most outright racism I ever have. While walking back to my dorm, I quickly passed a group of 4 males. As I was passing one male made a comment of “Damn, she’s in a hurry.” “She’s a nigger that’s why” Following that one mentioned the word cotton, to what extent it was used, I am not sure. I continued to walk, head held high because that is what I am told and have been taught to do. When in reality I wanted to fight and yell back to them and explain that in just 1 minute they not only stereotyped me but also showed pure racism. The racism that is not talked about, dealt with and is COMPLETELY overlooked on the University of Wisconsin- Stout campus. As a person of color, female of color, I should not have to be worried about what comments will be thrown at me. Most importantly I should not have to question whether or not my voice will get heard, or that I won’t have a positive impact on a campus that needs change. It is also quite sad that many UW-Stout students are not able or willing to realize how hard it is to live as well as thrive on a campus where you are ridiculed, looked down upon, and told to not stand up for basic, personal rights. If individuals would take the time to put themselves in the shoes of those in a minority group, I truly believe there would be room for change. Until then, this pattern of discouragement and racism will keep continuing and only get worse. I hope UW-Stout, can change, as a whole to make itself a safer and more productive campus.

Chloe

Most people who attend UW-Stout have heard the phrase "When in doubt, go to Stout." However, the academics are fairly rigorous, especially in the School of Art and Design. As Stout is a polytechnic school, there is a consistent integration of career-relevant skills and hands-on learning. The polytechnic aspect is certainly the strongest draw for me personally, and I find myself consistently challenged by my courses. The art and design building has a variety of labs with tools available to students, and fairly high-quality equipment. The Process Lab has many power tools and supplies, along with staff that can help art students build nearly anything. Overall, the school goes far beyond it's reputation as "the easy way out," and a good placement rate for jobs in the field of graduates.

Rachael

The moment that I stepped foot at Stout, I knew it was were I was meant to be. I am not one who believes in "fate", but I believe that fate played a huge role in my choice at Stout. I had the best four years at Stout. I met my lifelong friends, I joined a national sorority, and I was able to graduate in four years. I loved Stout so much, I even decided to return to graduate school through the school. If I could stay at Stout forever, I would! There is "no doubt, I chose Stout".

tanner

Starting a new chapter of your life can be scary, but I knew as soon as I stepped foot on the campus grounds, I knew I belonged here. Do not be afraid of meeting new people, Stout has over 100 clubs for someone to join. All faculty are willing to help you no matter the question, whether it is asking where the bathroom is or questions about your major. All in all Stout is one of my best decisions yet

UW - Stout employs a very friendly and helpful staff. All of the professors have solid office hours and want you to use them. It's a smaller campus distance wise, so the walk to classes are not bad. Many on-campus job opportunities as well. Overall Stout is one of the better public schools in Wisconsin.

Ade

I believe the University of Wisconsin-Stout is a very good school. It is a small school in a remote location so that may be why not too many people know about it. Also, it is not highly ranked. However, the teachers are excellent at this school. In addition, the school administration is very attentive to the students. Finally, I would like to say the curriculum for my major in education was rigorous but also thought provoking and gave me a sense of responsibility.

Molli

It is located in a very, very small town. So it's something to be prepared for. There is no coveted Starbucks or Target which is a downfall for a lot of students (and even some faculty.) The housing is nice, but a bit overpriced for what you get. They often over sell parking passes for commuters which in turn doesn't benefit anyone. However, there is some upsides like the newly renovated Memorial Student Center with a faux Starbucks, a cafe, and little market. There is always something going on too which is nice if you are often bored.

Allison

They have a really great learning opportunities and strongly encourage you to join a club on campus. The life here is amazing because everyone is generally nice. We always have something going on, and it is great. They also have a lot of support for their students and plenty of stuff is included with your tuition. The professors are willing to work with you and I have had nothing but great professors.

loom

Amazing. The overall love and support around campus is amazing. For the large community of art students there is an art store right off campus that works with faculty to help get the best prices and the materials you need quick and easy. Theres endless clubs to join and all are welcoming. The food tastes freakin' amazingly and at an equally great and cheap price.

UW-Stout is a polytechnic school with smaller class sizes and professors that are passionate about the subjects they teach. As a graphic design student, all of my teachers have been very helpful and eager to see me challenge myself and succeed. There are many resources at my disposal, although the Applied Arts building could use an expansion to accommodate the growing number of arts students. You are required to live on campus the first two years you attend the school, which is longer than other universities and I would prefer having to live in the dorms only one year. As a vegetarian, it is sometimes challenging for me to get a good variety of food in my diet. There are quite a few vegetarian and vegan options on campus, but I have struggled with getting enough variation in my diet along with being required to get a meal plan as long as I am living in my dorms. I appreciate the education aspects of Stout better than the living aspects, although I still appreciate the school overall and it suits my particular education needs.

Callie

I personally love UW-Stout, very inclusive and you can find people like you in so many different spaces! My freshman year I was in the School of Art and Design and their curriculum is top tier, you learn from professors who work in the industry no matter what major or program you plan to study! It's a great school and I'm proud to be a student at Stout!

Brian

So far, I really like stout due to how secure I feel about passing. If I am ever struggling with a subject, there is always a wide range of labs and tutors I can visit to make sure I am on the same page as my professors. It is also very close to many grocery stores and a pharmacy, so I have every resource I could possibly need for living on my own.

Ashlee

When I visited UW-Stout, I stayed with the cross country/Track athletes. I was able to get the true college feel while being there. Overall the campus is beautiful and I really enjoyed my stay. The team had great chemistry and I felt like it could be really easy to fit in at the college. I attend a small high school so transitioning into college life at Stout would be very easy due to their small class sizes. Overall, I enjoyed my visit at Stout a lot and feel as though it is a great school.

Chelsea

I love the school. The classes sizes are great and the teachers are knowledgable. The campus is safe and the town is nice and not overly busy or sketchy. The school is very inclusive with its diversity and is working towards becoming even more so. There is always things to do on campus, weekdays and weekends.

Andrinay

I think it's an excellent school with knowledgeable professors teaching and valuable connections to be made, but for me it's just way too expensive. I will most likely finish the semester and transfer to a much cheaper school until I can afford to finish here.

Paityn

It is an open, helpful campus with plenty of clubs and extra curriculars. This school does not focus on sports, but the art scene is gigantic. The game design and development - art major is excellent, with a newly renovated wing for their capstone classes.

Addaline

I really enjoy attending Stout. The professors are very easy to get to know and are very helpful, they are what make Stout so great. The on-campus housing is progressively getting better through many remodels. The off-campus housing is kind of gross, and the good houses are far away from campus. The food is good! I enjoy spending lots of time at the library, which is a super great place to find books and do homework. I feel satisfied with the level of academic challenge and opportunity.

I have just completed four years of undergraduate study at UW-Stout, and now will be pursuing my masters degree online through UW-Stout as well. The campus community is very welcoming to all students, and there are activities going on for students of all interests. Stout has some unique programs of study and places an emphasis on hands-on learning. I met a lot of great people and found opportunities I may not have elsewhere.

Shelby

University of Wisconsin-Stout is an exceptional college to be a part of. We make everyone feel welcome and as if we are all part of a big family. The professors and the programs are probably the best of the school year so far. If you have some type of disability they will help you through college with different programs provided by the college.