University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Top Questions

Philip

If I could go back to that time in my life, I would have made the decision to enter college and not join the military. While joining the military was fun and rewarding and allowed me the chance to see the world, once I left the military I really didn't have any college education to fall back upon. I would also tell myself to take more math classes so that I could better understand the various forms of math that are used on a college and business level. Today, looking back, having made the choice to pursue algebra and other forms of math, would have made it easier for me today entering the Psychology Degree program at my current university. By making those preparations earlier on in life, I think that would have made a larger impact on what direction I am taking in my pursuits today.

Maia

I would be more careful with my spending, my credit cards especially. Also, travel more, this is the time to do it, take a study abroad class and enjoy your time learning about other countries and other people. I spent way too much time worried about getting the right kind of education that I didn't enjoy the time I had to just explore who I was and what I wanted to be. It took me a while to figure this out, but now I'm back in school doing what I'm finding I really enjoy and that's perfect. But again, my main reason for these scholarships is because I had to spend a lot of my own money to get through school. My parents are amazing and supportive, but not rich.

Thomas

Entering into the doors of college is not a step I took lightly. My goals and objectives thoroughout high school and then college is to take a rigorous course load, find the area of study that best suits my abilities, and be the best I can be. I am a driven individual. One of the main influences that have brought me to a focused, hard work ethic was my family, also the transition from home-schooling to public school. Attending public school for the first time was a change for my learning style and social life. My teachers were unsure of my prior knowledge: my algebra teacher requested that I meet with him once a week to he could personally evaluate my skills. "How do you isolate the X in this equation?" he asked me. I was so scared that I said, "Just erase it."? I look back and laugh, but it makes me think about how far I've come. Academically I've adjusted well, taking Honors classes and holding a 4.0. Socially, I've made great friends. The only thing I should have done is, learn to do my laundry and cook something more than Ramen Noodles.

Ilse

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, the advice I would give would be plentiful; -join student orgs (but not too many that you get overloaded) -leave your dorm room door open (and meet great new people) -talk to your professors and get to know them (believe it or not, they're normal people just like you!) -do something unexpected (join the college's knitting club, you'll meet tons of cool people) -study, study, study! (befriend the library and all the resources within) -say yes to random activities (college is the only time you can go sledding at 1 o'clock in the morning on cardboard boxes and not get made fun of) -call your family (and remind them of how much you love them) -smile at strangers (you never know who's day you might brighten with your pearly whites) -be yourself (find out who you really are and don't let anyone change that) -have fun (it won't be hard) College will be an amazing experience. Just be yourself and enjoy it (and since I'm your future self, I can guarantee you will).

Mary

You're a senior in high school and you should make the most out of this time. It seems like an awful lot of hard work, but it is meant to prepare for what is to come, which only gets harder. Try and have a lot of fun during the summer before starting college. Get it out of your system so that in the fall, you are ready to focus on classes. College classes are hard, but they are worth every bit of effort that you put into them. Follow the sentiments of the quote from Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale," which you have memorized since you read the book in sophomore year: "Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" ("Don't let the bastards get you down"). The little tragedies that seem to rock your world now are really only hurdles that expand your horizons, build character, and make you an even more awesome person. Instead of allowing them to crumple you, rise up and claim victory over them, and show the world who's boss. You will never regret standing up to a challenge, but you will always regret turning around and giving up.

Doug

I would tell myself that change happens and that there is nothing you can do to change that. If you continue to live in the past or can't accept things the way they are without having the determination to change them you will be deeply disappointed. Even if you want to change things some things are very difficult to change and some times it is in your best interest to let them be. Life moves on whether you do or not and if you ar e stuck in the past you will miss out on a lot. I'm not saying to forget about the past, remember it learn from it, but certainly don't try to live in it. Remember the only thing you control in life is how you react to what life gives you.

A

If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I'd advise myself to pick the school where I wanted to go; not where family and friends wanted me to go. I would go to the school that had the best program, that would suit me. As a senior, there's a lot of pressure to go where everyone else wants you to go, and to pick the school that will be the best for you financially. In the end, you have to be happy at the end of the day. It took me awhile to figure that out, but now that I know that, I would've picked the school that I am now currently at. I started out at another college and it wasn't the right fit for me. But now that I'm at the right college, I am much happier than I was originally. I'd also encourage myself to be more outgoing and to get involved in the silly activities that the colleges wanted you to get involved in. Also, knowing that no matter what, you have to pick a career that you'll enjoy for the rest of your life.

Carley

BE YOURSELF. College is the time to find out who you are, and you will never discover yourself if you spend all your time pretending to be someone else. Get active in things that interest YOU, even if that means you might not know anyone when going into a club or a classroom setting. Put yourself out there and get to meet new students and teachers. Don't be afraid to try anything knew, you'll never know what you truly enjoy until you try something new. Make your decisions based on yourself so that you can set yourself up for the brightest and most exciting future for yourself. And never be afraid to try something new or take a risk, it's what life is all about!

Courtney

I would tell my senior self to simply, be yourself. Making friends and connections takes time. Be paitent and make sure to put on a smile everyday. The cost of college isn't something that can be easily paid off for most people. So be happy that you got the chance to go. Don't be afraid to ask for help either. There are plenty of people there, willing to support you. Join clubs! That also helps with making new friends. And remember that homework is the most important thing, you'll be getting a lot of it, make sure it's done right, and that you allow yourself enough time to do it.

I would tell myself to really buckle down. I would tell myself to save my money and look into scholarships and grants a lot sooner. I would want myself to really look into schools and majors, so when I finally chose what to do, I would be happy with my choice. I would make sure that my little self knows the importance of joining clubs and sports, and tell me not to stress on being 'popular'. I would tell me to actually go to school every day and to try my hardest. To not only get good grades, but to understand what I am learning. Mostly I would again stress the fact that college is so expensive. I would tell me that my parents aren't going to be helping out like other parents, because they have their own finances to control. I would tell myself to start building my credit as well and try to gain more hours at work and actually start a college fund!

Annie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself many things. First, I would tell myself that college is not as scary as it seems, that I'll make new friends and have a great time. Second, I would really push myself to apply for many scholarships and job opportunities and even though it may not be a problem now, something could happen in the future that it may be. Third, I would reassure myself that all the decisions I made in choosing a college were the right choices and the best for me. Lastly, I would remind myself to be myself when meeting new people in college; I shouldn't pretend to be somebody I'm not.

Atinuke

Knowing what I know now as a college student, I would have definatley continued my education after high school. I say that only because I'm much older and wiser now, and life's challenges are very different when you are 28 years old compared to when I was only 18 and all I had was a cell phone bill and boyfriend issues to worry about. Though I took a few classes here and there at the community college, one of the main reasons I decided not to pursue college was because I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. This was extra difficult because my mother (a single mother of three) insisted I attended college no matter what, weather it be by choice or by force, and being the eldest of three I felt very obligated to be the first to complete college. Nevertheless, if I would have known then what I know now, (especially with the economy right now) I would have advised myself to focus on finding what it is I was good at,what my passions were and how it would positvely impact me and my family in the future.

Jill

Papers and assignments come easy for some people in high school, and therefore they can manage to still get good grades without putting much effort into studying for tests. If I could have given myself advice in high school I would suggest spending more time studying. College is different than high school in that grades are not based on how much effort is put into it, but rather on how much is known. Many grades are based solely on the scores from several tests and exams. Doing badly on just one exam can have drastic effects on the final grade in that class. Therefore, it is crucial that much time and effort is put into effectively studying for every test. I would also advise myself to start studying early. Reviewing material a few days after initially learning it can save a lot of time later on. Cramming in a review just a few days before an exam does not allow anyone to perform to their full potential. Therefore, my advice to anybody wanting to get good grades in college would be to put much effort into studying so that taking those important exams can go as soothly as possible.

Mike

To start off, I would tell myself to focus more on academics and get involved with extra curicular activities once I have established a daily routine that I am comfortable with. Starting off being heavily involved with outside only creates stress and makes your college experience less memorable than it should be. I should have waited a bit longer to get involved, that way I could manage my days much easier than I could right now.

Ana

I'm not currently in college, i'm enrolling for spring semester at Marylhurst University. But what I would tell myself about applying for college in general is it's never too early to start filling out for scholarships and do lots of college visits to make sure the college you chose it the closest to perfection.

Ellis

College is going to be different. You can do it, with out a doubt, but keep your priorities straight. Do not be afraid to be by yourself, sometimes you find what you are really looking for after you take a step back. Do not forget about you old friends, they can help you through a lot but don't be afraid to make new ones. These friends are going to be there through your experiences on campus. Don't rush to grow up, you are only going to long to be a kid again.

Melvin

If I could go back in time as a high school senior and talk to myself the advice I would give myself is the rest of your life begins here Melvin. I have come to far to stop and there is a whole big world out here waiting for high school seniors to become college graduates. There are so many opportunities out here and I could become whatever I want to become. I could allow when I graduate high school this transition to make me or break me. I have alot of friends but I need to get my schoolwork and take it very serious especially when I make the transition. I want to join Alpha Phi Beta but how could I do that if my grades didn't look how they are suppose to look? I need to respect myself as well as my instuctors and professors and I can do this by coming to class on time and studying. I could make my books my friend and learn them and respect them. College life would be a great and joyful experience. I will expand my horizon and become involved and dedicated to different clubs and social gatherings/groups.

Cathy

The advice I would give myself would be very beneficial for my past self. It was a hard time because I had lost my father just the year before. It's going to be rough going through college but dad would be very proud from up above, as will the rest of the family from right beside you. Remember to keep up your motivation and continue to work hard. This will pay off by the time you reach your senior year and are applying for graduate school. When beginning, please do not go out so much but remember what is really important. You are attending college to gain a degree with great grades to make your family proud and help you to get somewhere in life; please think about that before you choose to drink / go out too much. Also, there is a time and a place for everything along with priorities; get them straight while you still have that control and motivation. Lastly, no matter what you run into, there is a solution and a reason for it happening so don't panic. Everything will turn out right; keep faith, family, and friends close to heart. Enjoy life!

Some of the best advice I could ever give to myself, or to anyone for that matter, is to get involved around campus. There are so many different organizations and opportunities, some you may never get the chance to be apart of again. The best decision I've made in my three years at college have been getting involved. I am a member of a laboratory research project, section leader in the symphony orchestra, an officer in a sorority, an executive board member to a Greek council, and am applying to become a member in a biological honor society. All that on top of working and school can be a lot, but I've met so many diverse people and have been able to give back to the community that I wouldn't trade any moment for anything else. Getting involved around campus, in whatever way, helps students grow, better see the world around them, and gives them opportunities and experiences that last a lifetime.

College is the best years of your life! the hard times and the good times occur while you're in college. you'll have late cram sessions, peer pressure to go out and drink, professors that sometimes you don't get along with, sporting events, personal life and the opportunities to advance in your field. each aspect help you figure out who you are. going through college not only help you to get an advance degree in your field of interest but also figuring out who you are as and individual. it's a stepping stone from leaving the nest of your parents, but it's an opening door to limiltless possbilities that are ahead in the future.

Gail

If I could go back in time to give myself advice, I would say that money because it doesn't grow on trees and I should save what I can because college isn't cheap. I would say not to worry about being close to home, because being close to home doesn't have to mean living at home. I spent a year at a school that I didn't like because I thought it would be a better choice. But it wasn't until a friend jokingly asked me to be her roommate that I made the decision to transfer. And I couldn't be happier with that decision. I would also say to trust myself to know who I am and what I want in life. I made that mistake and spent 2 years in a major that I didn't like. In the end I realized that the major I had wanted all throughout middle and high school was the one for me. And I would tell myself to join everything I can because college only happens once; when else in life will you be able to be a student ambassador and the president of an organization ?

Tricia

Knowing what I know now the advise I would give myself is make sure you are open to new experiences. Coming to college we have the ability to meet new people and even make lifelong friends out of those people. College, however, isn?t a joke. We are here to make a future for ourselves and not slack off. We need to work hard to receive a good grade and perform to the best of our abilities. College is here to prepare us for our future, so do not take it lightly. It is said to be the best years of our lives, so enjoy it, but work hard to be as successful in life that we are capable of becoming.

Sara

All four years were dedicated to the special needs population in a form of equine therapy; this combination of a love for people and appreciation of horses created some of the most memorible experiences ever. A strong work ethic and sense of responsibility was derived from the two to three jobs held year-long throughout high school. Though many hours outside of the classroom were spent volunteering or working, these experiences are well worth the commitment. With the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be sure to emphasize the need for activities such as these to apply to my college resume. Because I held two to three jobs throughout my entire high school career, I was prepared for many hours studying and knew the hard work it would take to succeed academically. Also, with the therapeutic riding experience, I was very accepting to individuals with dissabilities, different races, and religions because many of my great friends through high school were diverse. I was also a youth leader in several 4H projects for 11 years. With all of these combined experiences, I learned the importance of balancing a schedule to incorporate activities and school work.

Brian

It is so important to do your best in high school. Sometimes students do not do their best while in high school. I do not think they realize how important their grades in high school are. It can make a big impact on the colleges that will except them.

Aisha

Do not room with a friend or else it will likely end in disaster. Do not live with someone you are unsure about just because you are unsure about other options. Random roommates work best or living alone.

Kelli

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself that what I had achieved in high school is not what I'm going to be doing in college. There are more strict policies to follow and homework faced in college is a lot more intense than what high school was. With this being said, prepare yourself for a lot of studying, writing a lot of papers (more than three pages), but also remeber to have fun. Studying is important, but also having a social life is important to; this will keep you organized and well rounded. Take part in social activities on and off campus, this will allow you to build more social connections with people that have similar interests. I would tell myself to live in the dorms my first year, not commute, because living in the dorm is great, it gives you opportunities to meet diverse people that you may not meet just through classes or walking around on campus; commuting takes away meeting people and establishing friendships. Your college career sets you up for your future. Most importantly, do the absolute best that you can!!

Kaitlyn

I would tell myself to study. In high school I was lucky enough to achieve good grades without studying for hours; however, college is not like high school. College requires studying and working hard to achieve your dreams and goals. No one else can make your goals come to life; it takes hard work and dedication from you, and only you. Studying may not seem like the fun thing to do now, but in the long run it will definitely help. Life isn't always going to be easy, but good times will always be around the corner, so don't give up. Sleep is also important; if you are not getting enough sleep, your academic life will be affected. Studying won't do you any good if you are too tired to concentrate. Have fun, but be wise.

Britt

If I could go back and give myself advice for my future college career I would have told myself that just going to class doesn't cut it. In order to thrive in a university setting you have to balance your priorities, friends, and other obligations. Time management is immensely helpful when you incorporate it into your daily schedule. Never be afaraid to talk in class or ask for help. I wish I had known that earlier on because you can't learn when your only hearing directly from the professor. Student input is essential. Don't be afraid to take your learning to the next level and use your teachers to network into your desired career field. After all your paying for the knowledge and instruction you recieve here.

faith

Hey, you. Yeah, you sitting there on your butt playing those video games. What do you think you're doing? You know you're supposed to be studying that math. Oh, yeah, it seems easy enough now to play through level 3 again, but trust me... when you're sitting there in that math 141 class, you are going to wish you could remember what you should be learning now. You might be great at English and science, but if you don't learn those study skills now, your freshman year of college is going to be a lot harder than you ever expected when you find yourself trying to learn all those study skills they are trying to teach you now on your own. Either way, videogames are never going to be an important part of your life and you won't even be thinking about leveling up your character in that game because you are going to be more focused on leveling yourself up with your education. Whatever kid, play now if you want, just be ready to push yourself when college comes.

Jordan

Finding the right college is a difficult task. We want to attend a school that we feel best suits our personalities, interests, and identities. These qualities may span so vast a range that we agonize over the little things, like what coffee shops are on campus or how much smaller the dorms are compared to other schools'. It is essential that we take a step back and focus on broader aspects. I always encourage prospective students to take on-campus tours so they may get a feel for what campus life is like. This way, students behold the buildings, the students, and the faculty. Keep a focused eye on the faces of both the students and faculty members; appearances convey feelings and emotions with respect to the campus itself. Ask, "Does everyone seem generally happy or satisfied?" And if you can see yourself in those around you, then that is all you need to know.

Dashiona

Make sure the college has the program your looking into

Johnathan

Everyone, you really need to look at all your options. Even if you can't get into the school you wanted to, there are so many opportunities that people forget colleges offer. All you have to do is visit, or take a tour, and you will find out there is so much more to the campus than when you simply drive through. Start looking early, and apply early as well.

Monika

I would say to definitely realize what college is and to make yourself academically prepared, get involved in as many extra things that you can. These could be groups or sports! MOst of all have fun!

Jesse

To find the school that has your major and the school that you like the most.

Julia

I think that is it important to remember that you are doing this for you, no one else. Choose a place that you know will feel like a second home to you, somewhere that you can relate to people and the environment around you. By doing this, you will be able to have the time of your life in college, just like everyone says.

Brian

I am so glad I desided to attend a local collage. It is important to me to still be close with my family. I wish my local high school would have given me and my parent more help with how to find scholarships or grants needed to a attend college. I come from a middle class family and out of six children I was the only one that wanted to go to college. It was very hard for my family to come up with the money needed for me to go to school. We applied for federal aid and I was only able to get 1/4 of the money needed for me to attend college. My family had to take out personal loans for me to pay my college balance. I want very much to stay in school but I feel each year going forward is going to be harder for me to do so. Parents and students should start looking while the student is a freshman in high school. Talk with parents of college students and even take the time to call a local college for answers to your questions. Going to college is a great experince.

Andrea

My advice to parents/students about finding the right college is to choose a place that will feel most like home. Whether you think so or not, you will miss your family and home no matter what. By choosing a place that feels closest to your homelife, you will be more at ease, thus reducing your overall stress levels and making the whole experience that much easier. It'll help you focus more on your school work and less on how much you miss that family you used to be so sick of. To make the most of your college experience, I would suggest living in the present. Ofcourse you must always think of your future but you're only young once to enjoy the college life but again you're only young once so to go through this experience and not get a good grade means you are wasting precious time. Basically, live life to the fullest but also in moderation. Once you find that sweet middle spot, life will be all that much better.

Mark

go to a university the specializes in your carrier of interest, and always thing of the carrier in the end, and the reality is that an art or english major won't go far.

Do your research and take campus visits. It won't be until you take steps on the campus if you truly know that you belong there. Sit in on a class and see if it's what you would like to experience for the next portion of your life. Make sure that your choice fits into your family's or your own personal budget. If it is affordable and has a good program for the school of your choice, then go. I suggest not going to wherever your best friend is, or where your high school boyfriend is, yes they do play a major role in your decision but in the end it is your choice. This choice is one you must live with for the rest of your life, and you have to be happy with what you do.

The first thing you really need to determine is whether or not you want to attend a large or small campus. I personally wanted to attend a smaller school because I was used to that growing up. Some families may choose a school because it's well known for one of it's schools or because it's close to home. Making the best out of the college experience is really about what you put into it. Some students like to be really involved, while others prefer to strictly do school work. One of the best parts about college is meeting new people and making friends that you may have for the rest of your life.

Don't get distracted by social activities-- do your work and study more than you need to.

Kyle

Find somewhere where you can learn about something that you are passionate about. Find somewhere that offers something that you would like to do the rest of your life.

I think that the best advice when you are choosing where you want to study is choosing what feels right. Forget about what your friends are doing, what everyone expects you to do, and just go with your gut. Remember, college is YOUR experience. Don't be afraid to try new things and really find out what you like. No matter where you go and what the school is like, the main determinant of your experience is you.

Adam

Prestige is not always the key. A school may be bigger or better but may not present as many opportunities. I could have went to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, but I chose UWW instead. Since I made that decision, I am already the sports broadcaster and assistant sports director at the TV station. My school is smaller and less prestigous but offers just as good of an education and more opportunities for me. If you go into a college open minded on a visit you will pick a lot of things up.

Anjuli

Go on tours, and be sure to let your children choose the school that is right for them. When you arrive, there is just something that clicks, and you know that college is the right school, it just fits.

Make sure you really look into all of your options. You don't want to be making the wrong decision when it comes to something as important as this. Really be aware of what you?re really looking for in a school. College is where you begin your future. This is where you find you life long friends, where you learn what it is you need to succeed. It is very important that the school you choose, you choose because you love it. Not because your best friend goes there, or because you boyfriend goes there, or it's where you parents want you to go. This is your chance to really branch out and be your own person, make sure you're doing this for you, and no one else.

Molly

Go where your major is. This is why you are going to school. The social part will happen where ever you go. Please give where ever you go a chance and do not follow someone to their dream school. This is a once in a lifetime chance!

Bridget

Look at every school, and if you are still unsure, look again. Get as much info as you can, and don't rule a school out at first, keep an open mind. Make a list of what is most important, and make sure that the school offers the best in it for you.

Marie

The best thing you could do is to actually go and visit the campus. Really do your research about what the university has to offer. Ask yourself if you would prefer to be in a more rural setting, or in the city. If you attend a smaller campus, people are going to know your business whether you like it or not. If you attend a larger campus, like in the city, you can keep to yourself a bit better. Don't pick a college based on it having the reputation of being a "party school." That's not what you're there to do. Join clubs/organizations on campus. THE BEST way to get involved is to join a fraternity or sorority. They participate in homecoming, community serivce, as well as participating in many other events on campus. Plus, it's a great way of meeting a bunch of people at once. Set goals for yourself and be an asset to your college community. Properly, and responsibily, balance drinking with school. Always remember that you're there to learn and so be sure to put school first.

Berenice

This school is really good for the Business program. I did not like the meal plans that were so strict, but I don't know if they have made any changes since I used it. People like to go home to work of to see family on the weekends. It's not too bad if you stick around too though! For the price you pay, it's overall a great school!