University of Wyoming Top Questions

Mannan

N/A

Reina

I have never really been into making friends or joining clubs, because I am quite shy. However, here in college, a girl invited me to join the University's Kendo club. I love it! My closest friends that I have now are members of the kendo club, and we do lots of things other than kendo together. I love them!

The most popular activities on campus are on Friday. The University of Wyoming has Friday Night Fever, which provides movies, games, musicians, comedians, magicians, and activities to keep students entertained. However, sporting events are always the highlight of the weekend.

Dawn

The most popular group on campus are the athletes. Athletics is a large part of socializing on campus so many people on campus and in the community attend games. This causes athletes to be very popular on campus. I am involved in two groups. I am involved in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. This organization is nationally recognized and offers many opportunities and benefits for its members. NSCS is a great way to network and to meet people on campus. It provides activities and events which are usually volunteer based. It also encourages academic achievement. I am also a part of the Rotaract Club which is a volunteer based group. I have met many people through this club and I have been involved in many volunteer experiences. Most of my closes friends, I met in class. I began to study with them and we became friends. Since Laramie is a small town the community does not have very many things to do. However, the University offers many things which does not involve drinking. As a student I have participated in an annual Poker/Game night and Friday Night Fever. Poker/Game night is fun. You get tickets and play multiple games to win prizes at the end of the night. Friday Night Fever offers many games, events, and movies for students. Overall, there is always something to do for different kinds of students.

I'm a big sports fan, so the D-1 sports are my biggest draw. It's not big with all students, but the ones that are into it are really into it. People from all over the state also come to the games, most of them driving 2 hours or more one way to get here, and the atmosphere is really good for a small place. Football is king like it is in most places and has been able to get good teams to come to Laramie lately (then #2 Texas and #4 TCU in 2009, Boise State in 2010, Nebraska in 2011, Oregon and Missouri are expected to come soon). Men's basketball will bring people from all over the state too, but the students and Laramie locals actually enjoy the women's basketball maybe just a bit more. Friday Night Fever is a group that plans activities that usually involve movies, games, or entertainers. In the time I've been here, the University has been able to get Blink 182, Switchfoot, Elton John, Lynard Skynard, comedian Lewis Black, Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood from "Whose Line is it Anyway?", and the sketch comedy group "The Second City" comes yearly, just to name a few. Like I mentioned earlier, there are so many outdoor things to do also that I can't even really count them. The social and dating scene will be whatever you want to make of it, but the opportunities are most definitely available.

I never thought that I would be in a sorority, and I sure do not fit the typical sorority girl stereotype as portrayed in the movies and TV, but after talking to some ladies involved in the Greek system, I decided to go through recruitment knowing I wasn't obligated to join a house if I didn't want to. What I never thought I would find is the place I would call my home and 80 wonderful sisters that I cannot visualize my life without. We have bonded through ritual and are always there for each other, whether through a nasty breakup or a late night study snack that turns into a two hour conversation with a sister we never thought that we could bond that well with. While we only take up about 5{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population, we are strong, determined men and women, with much leadership on campus. The fraternities and sororities add philanthropic events to the small community and help with parades and events such as special olympics. I have many friends outside of the greek system as well, and think that there can be a perfect balance with non-greek friends and those that share the responsibility of bearing those letters on your sweatshirt. Though Greek or not, you can find that wonderful group of friends at UW that will continue to play a part in your life for years and years to come, as I have.

NIcole

In the single room dorms some people leave their doors open and some leave thier doors closed, it just depends on the person.

In college living on campus is a new experience. You will find that you have a lot of time for yourself. So get involved and don't just sit around...meet people and college will be that much better.

Wyoming has many activites to offer on campus. Groups are constantly putting on a variety of programs throughout the school year. I'm not sure which group or organization is the most popular because many times the same students show up to all the events going on while everyone else finds a party of campus or at one of the frats. The athletic events, especially football and women's basketball, are huge at the University of Wyoming. Students attend the games all the time. Students tend to leave their doors open, but it also depends who's on your floor. Like anywhere you have your social and anti-social people. My closest friends lived on my floor so our doors were always open. The fraternities and sororities on campus are only 3{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population. This doesn't seem like a lot but they control about 98{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of all student activites. If the sorority girls and fraternity boys don't like an event that's going on or can't attend for some reason, usually it won't be very successful although this isnt always the case. People party Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and sometimes weekday nights but not everyone; it depends on what you're into. On a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking you can go dancing at the local dance hall, see a movie in one of two small theatres in town, pick up a game of bowling at the local alley, drive down to Fort Collins, CO for shopping and food, stay in Laramie for a nice dinner at Altitude, just hang in and watch a movie with firends, and a variety of other things. It all depends on what you want to do and how creative you are!

At UW we have a really great group the puts on entertainment for the weekends. It is called Friday Night Fever, they put on movies, bring in Comedians and host bands to come an provide an aternative entertainment option for students. I am not, however, saying that we are completely devoid of parties, unlike BYU, joking! There are keggers and drinking parties but that really isn't my scene so i can't actually tell you a whole lot about it. And if you are looking at colleges and pick one because of is easy access to alcohol and drinking then you really shouldn't go to college, infact i would discourage it because you will only be wasting money and taking up spots for others who really need to further there education. Ok now that my little warning has been said i will continue. Football. Basketball. Track. These are big things here at UW and we always support our athletics department. The Frats and Soroities are also big here, even if they can create problems sometimes. The party scene is usually, no, always off campus. But my friends and i also like the movies, the bowling alley and the ice rink for fun as well. Then you can always drive 45 minutes to Cheyenne, the capital of WY for some more options.

To tell you the truth, there is no "in" crowd. The party environment is really open. People here are always excited to make new friends.

Christey

I'm in a group called Step-Up! It's a peer education group. We educate on the topics of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and stalking. The group is so much fun, and the people involved with it are some of the coolest people I've met.

Torry

Okay so I'm under the impression that there's a lot of drinking and partying that happens with the kids here, but I'm not in that crowd so I wouldn't really know I guess. I hang out at my friends' houses most of the time doing cool stuff like playing video games, board games, movies, just awesome hang-out stuff. But I think people here party a lot, which is lame. Athletic events are WAY popular (not to me, I'm a theater-goer). And yes, I stay up really late doing awesome stuff like playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Dungeons and Dragons with my friends, but I don't think that's the norm (haha).

Because Wyoming has so many RSO's (recognized student organizations) there is not one popular group or club to be involved in. I think intramurals are very popular along with the social justice clubs. I am active in Greek Life, Honor Societies and small campus projects (i.e. parking). The students in the resident halls leave their doors open when they are home. It is like a little community. Athletics and guest speakers are very popular; however, theater is not as much the number one thing to attend. People tend to date others in their groups. For example you see a lot of Greeks dating other Greeks, and a lot of international students dating other international students. I met my closest friends through Greek Life. If I am awake at 2 AM (which is almost every night), I am studying!! Traditions are homecoming, Greek Week, Homecoming Sing, Parades, and AIDS walk. People party a lot here at UW, however, it is college and a lot of people party just because of the demographics. Greek Life here at UW is only 4{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and not very popular. No one really hates the Greeks they just are neutral. Last weekend I went home with my friends to see my parents. Other events on Saturday nights are the movies, bowling, game nights, and outdoor events. Off campus you can do all of the previously stated items.

Barbara

I can't really speak to the social life at UW. I am very introverted and so don't participate in large group events. I do know that the Campus Activities Center hosts some kind of entertainment every Friday evening, but I have no idea how well those events are attended.