University of Wyoming

« See more reviews of University of Wyoming

I wish I had considered the climate in Wyoming before choosing to attend the University of Wyoming. While selecting a college, I principally paid attention to strong academic programs in my area of study, the cost of attendance, and scholarship opportunities. I did not take into account that Laramie, Wyoming, is located at 7,000 feet above sea level and is very cold and dry. Although the climate should not be the deciding factor in choosing a college, it is certainly something that should be considered when deciding whether or not to enroll at a certain college.

Upon entering this foreign land from a seemingly foreign place, it would have been beneficial to be more informed about the culture in this region of the country. Coming from a large city and culturally diverse place with a much different climate, it was difficult to acclimate. The people here seem to come from small towns with less people than my high school graduating class. Their knowledge of culture seems to be based on media or a small amount of real world knowledge. All of my experiences in life did not prepare me for the culture.

I wish I had been more reassured that I was making the right choice. I was very hesitant to go to the University of Wyoming because of my lack of knowledge about the school. I also thought that the weather would be alot worse than what it is and I also thought that bad weather would be much more frequent. Short blizzards in the winter time are bearable because they melt away fast. I also wish I had known that the school was really close to great cites like Ft. Collins, Boulder, and Denver and not just in the middleofnowhere.

Before coming to UW it is good to learn good time management, compared to high school you have a lot more free time in college. Although you will find yourself wanting to take advantage of this new extra free time it is important to remember to get all of your class work done. It is far easier, and better, to at least keep up if not stay a little ahead than it is to play catch up.

I would have liked to know how much college cost and apply for alot more scholarships than I did. I would also would have liked to know that college is not as stressful and scary as all the movies and media make it seem, I would have been less afraid of leaving home for college. I wish I had known that I would love college and that it was absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

I wish I would have known not to declare a major my first year, and not try to rush college. I graduated in 4 years, but engaged myself as little as necessary. Partly because of the attitudes of my instructors (not all of them), but also because Laramie wasn't really the kind of place I wanted to be. It's windy, allways.

The one thing I wish I had know before coming to the University of Wyoming is how to stay organized, and how important it would be for my school work. Staying organized for my college classes has so far been my greatest challenge, and I wold have liked to have been more prepared for it my first semester.

I think I would have liked to have known about the USP 2003 standards that we have to meet. I would have been about to take care of a lot more of these general items in high school if I had known about them and I would have known what to expect from the first couple of semesters of school.

I wish I would have known more about the weather in Laramie. It is extremely cold and windy during the winter season and I was not prepared as to how cold it can actually get. Of course, I was told that it gets cold but nothing anyone told me could prepare me for -25 degree weather.

I wish that someone had told me that the opinions of people did not matter so much, because ultimately it does not affect who you are or what you have set out to do. Don't worry about the people who think they are better than you, because they have their own problems.