Valdosta State University

« See more reviews of Valdosta State University

For future parents and students wanting to make most of their college experience including finding the right college, I could say, to look at all your options. If the student is used to larger or smaller classes, one needs to plan accordingly. For a student that wants a decent sized college with a booming town, but still a down home southern charm and hospitallity, I would say look over Valdosta State University. For partents and students looking for cheaper costs, try going to a 2 year community college first, then attending a larger university. This saves thousands of dollars, and introduces the student to a college environment without to much of a shock factor. By the time the student is entering a larger university, they have matured and are ready to handle whatever college life may throw at them. Also, talk to a colleges financial department for information on studnet loans, and monies out there to help the student. The last thing you want is your student to begin a new life in the work force, several thousands of dollars indept. Again Valdosta State University offers many wonderful qualities and I would advise anyone to explore the possibilities.

There are two very important rules to know before starting college; be sure to learn time management, and get accustomed to freedom. When you stay on campus you are free to do whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as it does not violate school codes. Since you are in control, there are so many things that can be done. Most of which have little importance, unlike homework and studying. It is very easy to get distracted, and procrastinate on your priorities. One think to always keep in mind is the purpose for you attending college, and that is to get an education. Learn to do homework and studying immediately after class has ended. You should review material for at least an hour a day. Two hours or more for your more difficult courses you should not exceed three hours in one sitting. Interact with those who are excelling in your classes and create study groups. Too much studying and not enough studying are not good alternatives. Your school offers time management courses, take them. Advisors are there to help you balance free and occupied time without becoming overwhelmed. Most importantly remember to have fun, and be social.

Students should really take their time visiting the schools they are interested in. Take the campus tour like most prospective students do, but also choose to take it one step further. Talk with admissions counselors and financial advisors to learn more about possible fields of study and course work at the schools you are interested in, as well as the cost of the school and how much financial aid you will be able to receive. I would also recommend talking to current students at the school. No one else can give you a more honest opinion about the college/university than one of the current attending students. Ask them about the student life (extracurricular activities, student civility, helpfulness of faculty/teachers, campus unity, etc.) and don't hesitate to ask them the million dollar question: "If you could do it all over again would you still choose to attend 'insert prospective college here'?" I would also advise students to be their own person and for parents to encourage their child to do this. Do not choose a school because your friends are going there, it's okay to be different. Always make the right choice for yourself!

Attend all your classes and plan to attend all classes for the entire semester. Save money, don't spend frivilously on music, games, or alchohol. Keep drinking and parties to the weekend, if you have free time during the week work on final projects. Don't leave papers till the last minute, you be more successfull and less stressed out if you get your assignments done early. The people around you may be trying alot of dangerous activities/substances, don't get pressured into following the crowd, do the right thing to keep yourself healthy. Stay out of trouble, if the police charge you with underage drinking or drug possesion it can seriously ruin your prospects of finding a career. Keep strong ties with home, you may think your parents are busybodies, but it's important to keep them posted as to how you are doing, they can offer good advice, and if your honest they will always help you out of trouble. Don't let anyone, especially a greek (frat. /sorority member), tell you who to be. Find the hardworking dilligent people in your class and make friends with them, or at least ask to study with them.

By the end of May, many seniors are begging to move on from high school. However, if I were to return to my high school during my senior year, I would tell myself one important thing to be prepared for while at college. There are many things that students today do not realize; many of them believe that there is one correct path that they must follow. Many students today are being thrust into a world for which they are not completely ready. Teenagers believe that they understand the full concept of growing up, but they do not understand all of the opportunities that come with it. The world is constantly asking for decisions on the spot, and teenagers do not understand that there is no right or wrong answer. There are merely different paths. While at a university, college, or technical institution, students must make their own paths, and each student’s path will be different. They will grow and transform into an adult who will have to make very important decisions. Because decisions help shape growth, I would ask myself two simple questions: Who are you now? Who do you want to be?

Listen! College is a great experiene. It's preparing you to enter the adult world of responsiblities. When you get there, you need to focus. Yes you have a sense of freedom, but don't let it go to your head. You will need to apply to every scholarship you are eligible for and find out the schoalrships the school of your choice has to offer. Scholarships add up to a free education and refund checks, if all hasn't been spent. When you get those reimbursements, be wise in your spending. You also need to double major. Having a plan B is always smart. When push comes to shove, find help. Bringing up your GPA is very difficult. Renting textbooks saves you money. Also becomig a social butterfly does too. Knowing how to interact with different individuals will be an advantage in the workplace. Friends come and go, so be careful of who you open up to. Also join clubs and organization. Be careful who you are intimate with. It can cause serious issue that you don't want. Lastly, always have confidence in yourself. Beleive you can do anything. You are beautiful person. Make a difference.

There are so many things that a student needs to consider when deciding which school they should attend for their post-secondary education. The most important thing that the student needs to remember is to make their decision based on themselves, not their friends. This decision is one of the most important decisions for someone who is going to attednd college. You can't decide because of what others want you to do, you need to decide on what is going to allow you to enjoy the college the most. You need to have time to study, not work. You need to have time to get involved with school activities, not stick to the same old friends. You need to go out and experience new places around town. Money will be the biggest stressor during school, so apply for as many scholarships as you can. Visit as many campuses as you can too, because there might be one that you really like more than the 'best known' school that you thought you wanted to go to. Finally, talk to students from the school you're thinking about attending because they have the best information that anyone can offer you.

Being the oldest of eleven children my college experience has given me the chance to enlighten my younger siblings on everything that college has to offer. My mother never attended college and I am the first to go to college in my family. I know that my college education is impacting my family because it is inspiring them all to want to attend college, as well as my mother. I have learned that everything is not handed out to you in college. You have to work hard for the grade you want to earn. I believe my college experience has helped to prepare me for my future by teaching me deeper meanings to the world we live in, helping me become better organized, finishing projects and assignments ahead of time, and being involved in the surrounding communities. One thing I know I have valued more than anything in college is the value of my education. Every dollar counts and to pay for my own education I have learned that budgeting goes a long way. I don't take for granted anything. I always take advantage of things the university has to offer to students to progress beyond our college years.

This is something I often ponder about frequently and am enthused about expressing. I would tell myself to go into college open minded and eager with a passion to learn and achieve. You learn something new every day, is an old cliché that will never bite the dust because it is true. Always stay humble because there is always a lesson ready to be taught and it’s up to you to decide which ones are worth listening to. Be exertive and committed to every endeavor that meets the eye and to be dedicated to hard work and determination because it surely will pay off. I would also venture to tell myself to be unrealistic as possible because the possibilities are endless and never sell yourself short, or doubt yourself out of a goal because you think it's unattainable. Last but not least I would tell myself to be conscience about your surrounding and the company that you keep, because being in college you learn there are two types of students; hinderers and believers. There are those who want to see you achieve greatness, and there are those who could care less if you fail with them.

While searching for the right college for your child, keep an open mind. I believe the best way to go about making an important, life changing decision, is to do your own research, while dismissing all third party sources out of your mind. I'm not suggesting to completely disregard every opinion you may hear about a college. I'm just saying don't be narrow minded if a friend, colleague, advisor, or even results from a survey which may imply that the college you had in mind may not be the right one for your child. As simple as one, miniscule bad experience has the power to completely turn one away from a decision, which can lead others to feel the same way, without even giving that experience a try. Go to the college. Visit the campus. Research the academics. My parents and I did these things, and I am very satisfied with my college experience. It hurts my heart when I see or hear about some of my peers' unhappiness about their current college experience, and I just wish they would have put in the time and effort to actually research before they made such an important decision.