Valdosta State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Valdosta State University

Danyelle

Valdosta State University is a fun, diverse, and active community. Everyone gets along well and have fun! Partying is saved for the weekends. Social media is used by everyone to stay connected. Professors are responsive to you and your questions or concerns. The students are nice, funny, and cool to be around. Some classes are huge, some are small, and some are average. Organizations and clubs are outgoing and loves to give back. There are always fun activities occurring on campus just have to be alert and look out for them. Everyone accepts everyone and the staff is amazing. They reach out to students and vice versa. If you are not from Georgia, you surely will feel at home.

Jason

The school is rather average, honestly speaking. Not the worst school out there by a long shot but certainly not at the top in the nation. Beautiful campus, mostly friendly people, interesting locales and usually helpful staff are frequent on campus but the school has its fair share of negatives. The food isn’t exactly the Ritz, the school tends to prioritize keeping the school’s outward appearance good over improving the school’s internal factors. Shifting tuition focus on helping students feasibly and physically will help the school improve tremendously.

Benjamin

The staff does a great job in keeping the campus looking beautiful. I haven't seen any dead flowers at all in the whole year. Many students play on the "Front Lawn," which tears up the grass, but the grounds crew makes sure it doesn't stay like that for very long. Anywhere you walk, whether it be to class or to the Student Union, you always have a nice scenery. The student body is extremely nice to each other and very inclusive. Going to a school in the deep south, my parents were worried that I would face problems with other races, but I have seen the opposite. People of different races are always having nice conversations, inviting others to join in on an activity, or helping others when they need a favor, such as paying for a meal when someone lost their ID. Mixed romantic couples are never a subject of gossip, either. In the world we live in today, that's a nice thing to see, and one that should be seen in more places. The professors express their availability to students if they need help with a class, providing office hours and reminding students throughout the semester to use them if they need it. The campus provides plenty of opportunities to find job experience for your major or career choice, but it does take some searching around billboards and asking professors for opportunities to help out outside of class. Despite Valdosta State having a Division 2 athletic program, the student body treats sporting events like they were in Division 1. Games are exciting, the student section is fun, rowdy, and supportive, and there are no bad seats in almost any building. Overall, I don't have any regrets applying to and attending this school.

Patricia

Outstanding, very helpful and professor are good, some of them. I am hoping to receive my Bachelor of Science Degree and continue on my education. You can do anything if you put your mind into. Vadosta Stae will provide for me the tools that I need to get where I want to be.

Payton

The campus is beautiful, and the weather is nice all the time. It's rarely cold but there are a lot of gnats around the city. If you love a medium/small sized campus, this is the place for you. While the setting is decent, the dining is something to be wary of. There is a blazer grill, open from about 12-12pm I believe but the service isn't spectacular and the food is typical dining hall food. The main dining hall serves the same food every day and there isn't much variety. It's just not that good. Class size is good and depending on who you get the professors are fine. Campus is about an hour from the Jacksonville beach and 20 minutes from the Florida state line.

Andrea

Campus life is always something to look forward to. The campus is somewhere where you are sure to meet fun people who are open to helping and changing things for the better. As for the University itself, it could use some work with the professors and the cost. Our tuitions is one of the lowest in the State of Georgia, but we do not pay in tuition we pay in housing, meal plans, and extra "fees".

Eboni

Valdosta State University is a good school with an average atmosphere and really good sports games and program. But I personally feel there could be some major improvements that need to be made to make the experience a little better. But it's a good school to help you get the credits you would like and then transfer elsewhere. But it's not a bad place to graduate from. I love the class sizes cause it's easier to get to know people and the teachers connect with the students better.

Raheem

Valdosta State University is as great as you make it. The professors are great. They have office hours that are very convenient and will go the extra mile for any student in need. Most of all, get involved around campus & make friends of a lifetime and I am sure you will enjoy it — oh and don’t forget to study :)

christian

It's a good small school to start off your education, and it's easy to get in to. I'm familiar with the engineering and computer science programs; engineering is taken to be able to transfer and ensure that one wants to stay in it and the computer science department is pretty good.

Valdosta State University is six hours away from my hometown, where I spent my entire life. Before I even got to high school I knew I had to break out of that small town and find out who I really was. After visiting Valdosta for the first time I knew this is the place that was going to happen. I was invited to join an FLC called Emerging Leaders, where I met some of my closest friends that I now consider family. Just like me most of us where not from Valdosta so we all learned the campus together. The campus by far the prettiest campus I have ever visited. The front lawn is a very popular place for students to hang out or even study. From the beginning my major has been communications and I have not regretted a second of it. I have enjoyed all of my classes and the professors that have taught those classes. However, like all department there are some more difficult teachers, but as long as you do what is asked and show up to class they will work with you. Unlike the academics the food is not so good. At first the food is not too bad but then as the year goes on you try to avoid the dining hall as much as possible. Luckily the campus offers other restaurants like Which Wich, Chick Fil A, Moes, Starbucks, and Eisenstein's. There is almost every type of housing; you can have a private bedroom and share a bathroom with one other person, you can share a bedroom with one other person and share the bathroom with three people, or you can have the traditional dorms and share a bedroom with one person and have a community style bathroom. If you want the community style I recommend Patterson hall they have the most activities going on and the best lobby. Stay away from Lowndes Hall it is the worst hall on campus. Most things that happen on campus are at the beginning of the year and are a huge success, but they do have a few more through out the year. Overall Valdosta State is a great school and if I had to make the choice again I would chose it all over again.

Alyssa

My dream college, I hope and pray that I am gifted with the opportunity to attend. I'm interested in the nursing program. And one day of becoming a Nurse Practitioner. I would love to experience the atmosphere at Valdosta State. Looking forward to attending in the future.

Valdosta State University is one where anyone can feel at home! There's always something for everyone to be a part of. As a freshman, I never felt nervous or homesick and I was always welcomed by others. The on-campus housing scene is not only a family, but a resource for all of your needs!

I am honestly loving my Valdosta State University experience. It's such a lively campus, there is always activities and social events happening around campus. I am always meeting new people and experiencing new things. I can say that this campus truly does feel like a home away from home for me.

Kelby

Valdosta State is a little bit above average compared to other colleges in Georgia. There are plenty of activities to do and ways to meet people if you are willingly to get out of your room. I love the beauty of the campus. We are pretty famous for our front lawn. I honestly love it down here because I was forced to get out of my comfort zone.

Kristen

The campus is beautiful and includes many activities to fill up any free time. There are lot of clubs to join and programs to sign up for. The teachers are amazing and encouraging. Everyone is offered opportunities to be a part of many political causes and charity events to help the community. Overall, an amazing experience for anyone just starting out on their own.

Cameron

Valdosta State is a pretty nice school with a beautiful campus. Maintenance workers are always on the scene making sure that this campus lives up to its expectations. Making sure that students are always involved, Valdosta State always makes sure that every student has "Blazer Pride".

Tai

Overall, Valdosta State University is a beautiful campus that offers something for everyone. Upon my visit, I got a taste of all the great organizations found on campus including the various sororities/fraternities, sports, and clubs. I can say that I am more than excited to be a Valdosta State Blazer in the fall.

Joel

Valdosta State University is a home away from home for me. Everytime I go home I just want to go back. I love this school so much, and there is so much to do in Valdosta with over 200 student groups on campus and an active community in south Georgia. Small class sizes, diverse students, and a stunning campus. The best way to experience VSU is to come visit it for yourself.

Magnolia

Valdosta State University is a comfortable school to attend. It is not big enough to overwhelm you and it is small enough to be able to stand out among many. The professors are amazing. There is also a large amount of organizations and opportunities to become involved.

Piyangkun

My expectations were really high going into college. After the first semester of college, I dislike some moments and the university could do a lot better. Especially, some students in my dorm cause rackets and some minor constant issues.​

Camile

This school as an amazing campus, support staff, and so many other lovely additives! Being on campus, I feel extremely safe and welcomed by staff and fellow students alike. There is a plethora of student led clubs for all sorts of people, so its not hard to fit in anywhere!

Jahlian

The diversity on campus is a wonderful mixture, any student of any background would fit in. The campus itself looks as if you're somewhere hot, I like to think of it as the little ray of sunshine in south Georgia. Its not too far from my home in Atlanta and not to close.

Desmond

Valdosta State Univeristy has a beautiful campus and student culture to compliment it. The teachers possess a vibrant energy to match their undergraduate classes and are open to aiding them toward and after graduation. The cafeteria is very well maintained. There are plenty of extracurriculars to become a part of. And the sports events are a great way to become part of the Blazer community!

Teahnna

Valdosta state is home for me. Like any other home there are it's downside but overall Valdosta has a great atmosphere, there are always campus events to attend, and clubs to participate in. There something for everyone here. The staff is helpful and the food is good depending on where and when you eat. Overall I give Valdosta four stars from my own personal experience.

Anna Grace

I enjoy campus life. There's always something going on around campus. Dining isn't the best, but it's definitely not bad. There are restaurants on campus that give a variety of choice for each meal. The classes are small which gives plenty of opportunity for good conversation and allows the professors to get to know you.

Diana

I personally like Valdosta State University. I love how people interact with others and are willing to help people out. There are large classes but teachers always have office hours and are willing to make space and time to help you out. I would recommend people to come to VSU.

Barrington

Valdosta is a beautiful campus to live on and visit. The community is very friendly and welcoming. I would recommend people who are fearful of college to come here. Majority of the teachers are understanding and willing to work with the students to work with them to help with their academic success.

Marissa

I love Valdosta State University.. The small class sizes allow students to connect with their teachers. There is always something going on with CAB (Campus Activities Board) or if you’re the adventurous type, CORE (Center for Outdoor Recreational Experiences). There is something for everyone!

Esther

Valdosta State University is a great place to continue your education after high school or a continuing graduate school. The campus is only a few miles from the Florida borderline. Because of its closeness, the university provides an in-state tution opportunity to their neighbors. The university has a nice closed-campus which makes it easy to navigate and it's usually clean. The classes are much smaller than typical universities but provide just as much challenges with the courses. The dining hall option could be a tad bit better, but there are other options to make up for it. The campus life is very lively especially when it comes to football games. Go BLAZERS!

Tanaisia

I personally love Valdosta State. There is a lot of things that people love and hate about their school, yet all of these things make it unique and very different from others. Valdosta is not a real big city, many people have to create their own experiences to have fun. Around campus, there is downtown which has little restaurants and shops. There is also a mall that has clothing stores and a couple of bars. On campus the scenery is beautiful, the Spanish colonial buildings, the palm trees, and warm weather makes it great. Valdosta is not a really big school, due to the fact that there is under 10,000 undergrads you see new people every day, yet you still see familiar faces. I love the class sizes which usually have 30 people, which is great because I can have a relationship with my professor instead of feeling like just a number on the roster. All of my professors are very nice and helpful. The food options are not that bad, I personally wish there was more of a variety. We have our main dining hall, palms, which is open from 7 am until 7 pm. Then we have our night dining hall, the grille, which is open from 5 pm until midnight. Our fast food options are Whichwich, Chicfila, Moe's and Einstein's. Greek life is acknowledged on campus but it is not overpowering the social scene. Overall, I love attending Valdosta State University and I would keep more than I would change.

Abigail

I think Valdosta State is pretty great, although I have nothing to compare it to. The campus does what it can to provide for its' students. Even though most people around town keep to themselves, the school offers a lot to do all year round. Academically, I have loved my journey so far. I've yet to encounter a professor/class that wasn't "done right", with the exception of a couple who have trouble getting grades in. watch out for the town itself, bike thieves all over campus. Someone stole my bike. But other than that, GO BLAZERS!

Antrais

N/A

Courtney

I love Valdosta State! The people and professors I've met have made a huge impact on my life. I enjoy spending time on the beautiful campus. It is not perfect, but you can see how hard the faculty works to ensure the students have a great college experience.

Josie

Valdosta State University is a great facility with outstanding faculty and staff. The academics are rigorous, but they are easily understood thanks to the professors and on campus tutoring services. The buildings are mostly new or newly renovated and always have clean bathrooms and rooms. The on-campus housing is great! Overall, Valdosta State is a great university.

Valdosta has allowed me to complete my classes at my own pace. I love the accessibility of resources for students on campus. The professors and other students are easy to interact with. And I feel comfortable in this learning environment. The campus, although less busy than other major campuses, is beautiful. It is a great college to expand your knowledge, make new connections, and have fun while doing so. Any wariness I had about the college disappeared after my first week of classes. The sense of community is familiar, and there is no other place I would rather attend. The affordability is also a major perk. GO BLAZERS!

Dominique

My overall opinion of Valdosta State University is good, of course, they could use improvements. I like how involved we are on campus and in the community, how heavy we are in the Arts and Media department, and how well they keep the campus looking. I would like to see some improvements in the math and science department. things like smaller classes and interactive classes would better help students learn required material.

The campus at Valdosta State University is welcoming and well spread, it is easy to navigate and the amenities that the campus provides are extremely useful. Students and staff are friendly and always more than happy to help when asked. Clubs and organizations are all very welcoming as well.

TerrenCe

Valdosta State is a great university. It is filled with friendly people, along side the beautiful landscape of the campus. The weather is majority hot, it gets a little cold around February. The teachers actually care about student success and try to help students whenever they can. Grading is reasonable depending on the teacher.

justin

Valdosta state university is a place of not only higher learning where only professors have the ability to teach it's students, but also the architecture that illuminates the deep history of this southern university. As a current student I have spent hours in buildings just discovering hidden study spaces and amazing gems of it's past.

Destiny

Valdosta State University was my top choice. Valdosta State University is a very diverse, safe and fun place to continue my education. I am looking forward to spending the next 4 years at this university. Not to mention there is always something to do in the city of Valdosta.

Alexis

I really liked the institution for the academic aspect, the beautiful campus, the proximity to Florida and many of the facilities that were available to us students. However, throughout the years the quality of social life and consciousness of the school leadership staff is dwindling. From events such as false accusations placed on black men to inviting a bigot, racist, sexist pig (Donald Trump) to speak at a campus event (when most of your population is minorities!!!) is just bad business. You intentionally alienate many of your students and don't value any of the ideas or opinions presented to you by student government. Work on being an institution that cares for ALL their demographics and give students more access to classes that will shape them culturally and socially, such as anthropology. (there is only one anthropology professor but you can have 15 of the same lousy business professors) and In regards to the few professors that you do have left treat them well please, They deserve it. Also get better food.

Brianna

My overall opinion is that VSU is a great university. Valdosta is a small city so you do have to make the best of it. As long as you have your small group of friends, everything will be so fun! The campus is beautiful. The weather is great. If you need extra help, all professors are willing to assist. We also have a Student Success Center with has tutors in pretty much every subject and it's free!

Desiree

Valdosta State University is a school that makes you feel like you are at home without being home. Even though the school is small students will not feel as though they are drowning or are invisible because its like a big family . Students are able to meet with professors who are willing to help and there are various locations to seek help when needed. Students who live off campus are still in the know on what is going on on campus. Organizations make you feel like you are a part of a family instead of like another member. Valdosta State University is the school for those who want to be at home while being away from home.

Mekhiyah

Overall I give Valdosta State 4 out of 5 rating. I honestly love the school. The campus is very active and easy to get use to. There is always something to do whether its on or off campus. The environment of the school is the main reason why I gave it a 4 for ratings. The environment is so active people are nice and its really easy to make friends.

Leah

Valdosta isn't the school for me, but its a great school to go to for people who enjoy business and education. This school looks very safe and a great place to meet new people and hang out. I really enjoyed visiting this University and will recommend others to apply as well.

Brooklynne

I love Valdosta State University, the campus is beautiful and the students are active and respectful. I really enjoy the small class sizes and family like atmosphere in the arts building specifically. The Palms dinning center has great options for food and it all tastes good. It has everything I'm looking in a college, small class sizes, good food, and an active student population.

margaret

I'm a transfer student and I'm in love with the people and the campus! Its a great school! I'm so happy to be at a university because it allows for more diversity in the people and the degrees that the school offers. The campus is only two hours from the beach which makes for a great weekend get away!

Alex

Anyone who attends, has attended or has visited Valdosta State University will leave the university with a fairly positive opinion. Every school has its ups and downs, but I would say Valdosta State has far more upsides than downsides. When it comes to how beautiful a campus is, or how willing professors are to help and interact with their students, Valdosta State is second to none. The size of the school also favors those who look to find life long friends, but still focus on their academics. A few downsides come into play when you talk about resident parking, and the food quality, but those are minor things when it comes to actual education.

Tory

I love Valdosta State and I am extremely glad I chose this University to further my education. I think everyone should at least tour the campus and see the amazing things it has to offer! I do not think I would be enjoying the college experience as much if I was somewhere else!

Faith

To me I personally love valdosta state University. This college was my 1st choice from the beginning and it's a great school with great professors and students. This is a great college to get your education from and it provides in state tuition to a lot of surrounding states to help college students out.