Orlando, FL

Valencia College

« See more reviews of Valencia College

If I could go back in time to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself "You are not prepared". The transition itself is not going to be that hard. You choose your own schedule, but that is what gets you in trouble. At first you do not discipline yourself to go to class and complete homework. You struggle with your classes; not becuase you are not smart enough, but becuase you do not study like you should. You assume that it is going to be an easy ride and completing homework and going to class is going to be enough. But you are wrong. College life is fun, but you need to know how to balance life, school, and work. Taking a full course load isn't going to be easy, but you CAN do it. You are tough and you can do anything you put your mind to. Don't ever loose sight of your dreams. College is the best time of your life, enjoy it. But don't put fun before academics; that's what is going to get you far in life. Trust me, I've already been there.

Dear Abby, Before you begin reading this letter, I need you to sit down, go get a warm cup of tea and a blanket, and think happy thoughts. Ready? Ok. Life is about to get ridiculously hard. Harder than you can ever imagine, and there's nothing you can do to change it. People are going to try and tell you what you should be doing with your life, where you should go, how you should do it, and a million other things. And they're all going to claim to know what's best for you. The thing is, you are the only one who knows exactly what you need. You will need to remember to take care of yourself in the midst of trails. Don't worry about what others say. You figure it out, and you end up just fine. You'll go to college when you are ready. Don't feel pressure to do things just because others say you should. This includes when you should go to college. Take the time to figure out who you are. Once you know that, everything else will not seem as impossible.

Sharlene I will tell you that it is 2007, and you should be sure in what you are planning to study. Changing your major during college will only cause you a waste of money and a waste of time. Please choose a school and a major where best meet your abilities and skills. A college or university, where you are going to be able to finish your bachelors, where is accredited, and where you will get the best knowledge to become a professional. Remember to apply for scholarships, because studying full time and working full time is going to be too much for you. Do not kill yourself trying to be superwoman. Focus on your studies, ask questions if you do not understand something, use the library, make study groups, and be part of your college. Once you are done with school, you will be happy, you will be employee, and you will appreciate your school years. In this way you can advise other future students and help people choosing their best career.

I would say that I need to have a career plan to know what major I am going for college. I also need an educational plan to know which classes I am going to take that would apply to my major. I need to have time management to balance my time at home at school and at work. So, I would accomplish my daily tasks as a role of a student, a family member, and an employee. I would also set a time goal for a short and a long term goal, which are my plans for college. In which, when and what year would I be able to graduate from college. Am I going to be a full-time student or a part-time student? I am going to ask myself this question to be a great student and to graduate early in college. This is how I would do it. I need self-determination and self-reliance to achieve my goals and accomplices in life by attaining my highest education which is getting a "Master's Degree" in college. And this will motivate me to have a successful and better life.

My brief college background is that I have gone to three schools and had three majors so now I am a little behind in my graduation schedule. If I could go back in time I would tell myself not to jump into anything right awayto give myself at least a semester to find out what I really want to do. I would also warn myself that it is very important to do any classwork or homework that is assigned even if it is not for a grade because college is harder than high school and any practice helps. I would tell myself to make sure I ask for help when I need it from my professors or my councelors because for the most part they are all very willing to help. I would tell myself to get involved in clubs or groups associated with my major so I can get all the possible experience because that looks better for scholarships and jobs. Overall I would let myself know that college can be hard sometimes but it is also a lot of fun and a good time to find yourself.

Funny... this is something I often ponder about, actually I wish it could happen. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would be hard on myself. Basically, I would say this..."Natalie, apply for as many scholarships as possible right NOW. Don't you dare wait till the last minute because honey you'll regret it. Yeah I know mom and dad never talked to you about these things, well so what. Thats no escuse, you have counselors and teachers at the school that can assist you. All you have to do is ask questions. And Nat, make sure you do everything on time. Your FASFA and, college applications. Don't procrastinate, and plan ahead. These things are very improtant." Too bad I can't go back in time. I didn't plan ahead, I did procrastinate, I didn't ask questions till it was too late. Well im dealing with my mistakes that i've made, and im certainly learning from them. But if only, if only I could go back in time.

If I could go back in high school and offer advice to myself, I would say that it?s not as easy as you think it?s going to be. You?re doing great, continue to do so. Keep your grades up. Work hard, college is expensive! Listen to Dad and look for scholarships. You?ve been waiting for this your whole life, and now you finally did it, you?re graduating! College is fun, but it?s not an easy road to get there. As much as you?re annoyed by Mom and Dad constantly staying on you about your grades, you?ll appreciate it, I promise, those good grades are going to matter to you. Don?t take it too lightly, but don?t stress yourself out. Take time to enjoy your senior year, but don?t slack off. You?re going to go places and you?re going to do well if you continue to work hard. Do what you need to do, don?t put it off. You?ll be just fine, I promise. By the way, you never thought you'd see yourself wearing orange, but guess what...Go Pokes!!

It is ironic to think that if I could have known what I know now four years ago maybe I would have done things a little differently to prepare for college, which should be also thought of as the beginning of the rest of your life. As a senior in high school, I seemed to have my mind on everything else except college, not that I did not plan to go to college but I was afraid of rejection and failure so I played it safe. If I could go back and give myself one piece of advice, I think it would be to have more confidence in myself. I had the good grades, I took the right classes, and I even had good SAT scores but I was so afraid of failing that I settled. Therefore, if I could go back I think my exact words of advice I would tell myself would be, ?Danielle you have so much talent you should give yourself some more credit and always go for the gold because the only person that is stopping you from succeeding in college or in life is yourself.?

If I could go back in time and give myself some words of advice during my last year of high school I would have told myself not to rely so much on other people and to have a ?creator? mentality. As young adults we sometimes tend to rely on friends to get things done or to study without realizing how much it is truly jeopardizing our future. My first semester in college I enrolled into a student success class and I can truly say that it was the best decision I have made so far, having taken that class I learned how dependent I was on other people during high school and how much that was hurting me. Thanks to that class, I was able to realize the mistake I was making and adjust my ways. The other piece of advice I would have given myself was to be a creator in every situation and to not focus on the negative things. College gets tough and learning to be a positive in midst of negative situation can take you a long way in life.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself to stay focus in all my classes, to apply for scholarships and to take the SAT. During my senior year in high school i was too overly confident in myself and distracted with my first boyfriend that i did not look or apply for any scholarships. I knew i was going to a community college therefore i did not attempt to take the SAT, and because of that i was not eligible for Bright Future, which could come in handy right now. I didnt try hard enough and thought that as long as i graduated, i'm set for college. But now i'm struggling, and working ten times harder to come up with money for school, i have no help from my parents, and my chance to find a good scholarship as a college student than a high school student is very slim. I wish i knew all that i know now when i was a high school student, because it would help me out a lot right now.