Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Kathleen

Kathleen, looking back on my life as a high school senior I would have always thought it was so hard just to graduate and move on in life. After graduating I have come to relize that my thoughts were right trying to finish high school was a struggle but I have succeeded and proven everyone wrong. I have graduated early and i have accomplished my high school goals. Now as i enter the real world where "who you hung out with or what high school team you were on" does not matter , what matters now is Where are you going in life?, What are you going to do?, Have you applied to colleges yet?. My advice would be "Do what you are passionate about", do not listen to other in telling you what do. It is your life and you are the one that has to live with your occupation and deal with the choices you make and learn from your mistakes as they come at you. Also i would tell myself that the would is at my finger tips and i have my whole life a head of me to figure out what is right for me to do

Gabriela

A welcoming community tha provides students with fair opportunities to succeed.

A welcoming community tha provides students with fair opportunities to succeed.

I came from South Florida so this was really the only school I applied for out of state. Obviously the weather and community is very different than what I am accustomed to, but it is not something that negatively affects my opinion of the University. Valparaiso is also much smaller than other Universities I applied too and the majority of the students are white/caucasian. Valpo, however is a growing University so there are many opportunities to get involved with the school and create new groups, organizations, or activities.

The first thing I would do different starts at the very beginning, before even choosing a college or university and completing the extensive application process. Now that I am fully aware of how much of an effect SAT and ACT scores have on one's qualification for certain universities, I would definitely try my absolute hardest to get a good score and not brush off the exam as if it were insignificant. I would have also started looking into universities my junior year of high school so that I would be aware of the aplication deadlines and the requirements needed in order to be accepted into my prefered school. I found myself completing everything last minute when I was applying for college, so that is also something I would encourage prospective college students to do. Stay on top of your applications, deadlines, and scholarship information so that you are the one choosing the University you want to attend, not just winding up "stuck" at one.

Josh

One of the first things that I would tell myself would be to break out of my shell early. College is a place to define yourself. You should become more open and outspoken. No more sitting aside and being a wallflower. I would tell myself to be talkative and outgoing early in college rather than waiting towards the end. Another bit of advice that I would tell myself would be to keep working hard and not slacking off. There are a lot of distractions in college that weren't around in high school and one needs to learn to keep them in check. As the tough classes start to come during sophomore year, you need to stay focused and keep your grades up. There is always time for fun, but only when work is done. The most important thing that I would tell myself would be to join Phi Kappa Psi. It was one of the best decisions in my life because I've made so many friends that I will keep forever. These friends will become a great group to help support you throughout college and even after. Phi Psi will give you the best memories of your life.

I wish that I had a better understanding of the classes that I needed for the careers that I wanted to pursue earlier in my college experience. I've had to change my career goals due to changes in school curriculum.

I feel that the worst thing about the school is the lack of recreational and intramural facilities for students. A lot of students and staff complain about having to share facilities between varsity sports teams and the recreational sports program. There are just a lot of times that facilities are closed to student use and it doesn't seem fair.

If I could go back to senior year I think I would advise myself to take more AP classes. AP classes allow for you to get college credit and therefore test out of a lot of general education requirements in college which are what consume most of your first year or two. By taking these AP classes I could have earned college credit and maybe cut off a year of my college education and saved my family a lot of money that would really come in handy during these tough economic times. I didn?t understand the value of an AP course or how it effected you long term until I reached college and saw that many classmates were cutting off full years of school because they had enrolled in AP courses and tested out of general education requirements in college. I just wish I would have realized how much money I could have helped my family to save back in high school so that college could have been less stressful for them.

I think our school could be a little larger. At 3000 students its about the same size as my high school so it would be nice to have more people on campus and therefore more oppotunities to meet unique people and have more friendships.

I brag most about the vast number of ways to get involved on campus. There are so many different organizations to be a part of and support that the opportunities are endless. There are a ton of leaderships positions as well as volunteer opportunities to give your life some balance and meaning in helping those around you such as mentoring youth or working at the local soup kitchen which are my two favorites.

My school is somewhat helpful and somewhat likes to focus on students doing well.

Make sure to fill out a lot of scholarship applications, make sure to do research on your major and the schols you want to attend so that you can get the best education.

Someone who does not like the cold, or can not get along with other races.

Erin

Dive right in! Valpo's a great place, and the people are wonderful. Be sure you keep your priorities straight though; make enough time for homework AND sleep. Most of all, don't worry. No matter how difficult somethings may seem, or how much work it looks like you have to get done, you'll be able to do it. Try to keep your own stress on as low a level as possible. Also, just declare. You know you want to be a Social Work major... And have fun!

Someone who's open to new people and ideas, who is committed to learning, and who can organize himself and manage his own time.

Edward

Amazing experience with a beautiful campus and a list of activities to get involved in.

Go in with an open mind because it is a fresh start to reinvent yourself and let go of anything from your past that may be holding you down. Also participate and get involved with campus activities. Greek life is not what the media portrays it as and can be a big help when it comes to career connections .

I know I will have a job after I get my degree from this university

High spirited, academically challenging, and all around full filling.

High spirited, academically challenging, and all around full filling.

Homer Drew's Basketball shot

I would advise anybody, including my future self, to seek out many financial options not only for the present situation , but also long term (such as for graduation and retirement).

The students in my classes are focused on their education, however, they also seek to have a life outside of the schoolwork and want to have the freedom of such a life.

When you get to college, remember this thing over anything else, you can talk to your professors, your parents, and your friends when you start to struggle with classes. Never think that college is a battle you have to fight on your own, this is a battle that is long, and it will require everyone you know and trust to help you succeed. You are never alone, and if aren't doing well in classes, you don't have a girlfriend, and you don't like your life, tomorrow will remind how good your life truly is. Finally trust in God, cause he will see you through any crisis, no matter the pain of the struggle, you can always overcome the barrier presented to you.

Someone who knows that college is for them, someone who doesn't exactly know the degree they want, but has an idea of it from the dream they aspire to.

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.