Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Josh

One of the first things that I would tell myself would be to break out of my shell early. College is a place to define yourself. You should become more open and outspoken. No more sitting aside and being a wallflower. I would tell myself to be talkative and outgoing early in college rather than waiting towards the end. Another bit of advice that I would tell myself would be to keep working hard and not slacking off. There are a lot of distractions in college that weren't around in high school and one needs to learn to keep them in check. As the tough classes start to come during sophomore year, you need to stay focused and keep your grades up. There is always time for fun, but only when work is done. The most important thing that I would tell myself would be to join Phi Kappa Psi. It was one of the best decisions in my life because I've made so many friends that I will keep forever. These friends will become a great group to help support you throughout college and even after. Phi Psi will give you the best memories of your life.

I wish that I had a better understanding of the classes that I needed for the careers that I wanted to pursue earlier in my college experience. I've had to change my career goals due to changes in school curriculum.

I feel that the worst thing about the school is the lack of recreational and intramural facilities for students. A lot of students and staff complain about having to share facilities between varsity sports teams and the recreational sports program. There are just a lot of times that facilities are closed to student use and it doesn't seem fair.

If I could go back to senior year I think I would advise myself to take more AP classes. AP classes allow for you to get college credit and therefore test out of a lot of general education requirements in college which are what consume most of your first year or two. By taking these AP classes I could have earned college credit and maybe cut off a year of my college education and saved my family a lot of money that would really come in handy during these tough economic times. I didn?t understand the value of an AP course or how it effected you long term until I reached college and saw that many classmates were cutting off full years of school because they had enrolled in AP courses and tested out of general education requirements in college. I just wish I would have realized how much money I could have helped my family to save back in high school so that college could have been less stressful for them.

I think our school could be a little larger. At 3000 students its about the same size as my high school so it would be nice to have more people on campus and therefore more oppotunities to meet unique people and have more friendships.

I brag most about the vast number of ways to get involved on campus. There are so many different organizations to be a part of and support that the opportunities are endless. There are a ton of leaderships positions as well as volunteer opportunities to give your life some balance and meaning in helping those around you such as mentoring youth or working at the local soup kitchen which are my two favorites.

My school is somewhat helpful and somewhat likes to focus on students doing well.

Make sure to fill out a lot of scholarship applications, make sure to do research on your major and the schols you want to attend so that you can get the best education.

Someone who does not like the cold, or can not get along with other races.

Erin

Dive right in! Valpo's a great place, and the people are wonderful. Be sure you keep your priorities straight though; make enough time for homework AND sleep. Most of all, don't worry. No matter how difficult somethings may seem, or how much work it looks like you have to get done, you'll be able to do it. Try to keep your own stress on as low a level as possible. Also, just declare. You know you want to be a Social Work major... And have fun!

Someone who's open to new people and ideas, who is committed to learning, and who can organize himself and manage his own time.

Edward

Amazing experience with a beautiful campus and a list of activities to get involved in.

Go in with an open mind because it is a fresh start to reinvent yourself and let go of anything from your past that may be holding you down. Also participate and get involved with campus activities. Greek life is not what the media portrays it as and can be a big help when it comes to career connections .

I know I will have a job after I get my degree from this university

High spirited, academically challenging, and all around full filling.

High spirited, academically challenging, and all around full filling.

Homer Drew's Basketball shot

I would advise anybody, including my future self, to seek out many financial options not only for the present situation , but also long term (such as for graduation and retirement).

The students in my classes are focused on their education, however, they also seek to have a life outside of the schoolwork and want to have the freedom of such a life.

When you get to college, remember this thing over anything else, you can talk to your professors, your parents, and your friends when you start to struggle with classes. Never think that college is a battle you have to fight on your own, this is a battle that is long, and it will require everyone you know and trust to help you succeed. You are never alone, and if aren't doing well in classes, you don't have a girlfriend, and you don't like your life, tomorrow will remind how good your life truly is. Finally trust in God, cause he will see you through any crisis, no matter the pain of the struggle, you can always overcome the barrier presented to you.

Someone who knows that college is for them, someone who doesn't exactly know the degree they want, but has an idea of it from the dream they aspire to.

Katie

Don't be nervous, trust me when I say all the other freshmen are going to be just as nervous and self concious as you. Oh, and make sure to say hi to the Asian in the room next to you, she is going to be one of your new best freinds and introduce you to the other ones. But seriously, don't be afraid. You are going to a great school, and you are going to find people that will be a part of your family. Be yourself, and people are going to love you, and you are going to love them to peices. Unfortuantly, you are going to go through some rough times, but that's ok! It's not as scary as it sounds and your new friends are still going to love you, the real you. So, you got accepted to your top two choices for college, and they seem VERY similar. Being the person you are, you are going to pick your school by flipping a coin, and it's going to be completely right. We all love you on my end, can't wait for you to get here!

People interested in community and respect. Someone who is willing to go to Steak and Shake or Walmart in the middle of the night. Someone who can get goofy crazy, and somehow still keep sane. Oh, and someone who may not know what they want to do with their life, but wants to find what they love.

That all of the freshmen feel that they need to rush into greek life, we really have good independent-greek life interactions and a good mix, you really don't need to rush to meet people.

Claire

The law school is a pretty big thing, as well as the chapel/the fact that its a lutheran school. Also small class sizes

Although I didn't have too tough of a time transitioning from home life to college life, I would have actually told myself to pack less clothes. My roommate and I (we both roomed blind) packed our tiny dorm room full during our freshman year, which obviously wasn't the greatest living situation. I'd also tell myself to go out and make as many friends as possible...when I'm feeling homesick sometimes its nice to just play a board game with friends (note to senior self: bring board games) or cuddle up with blankets and watch a movie (another note: LOTS of DVDs) Pretty much just bring things that remind you of home; things that will, no questions asked, make you happy =]

Someone else from my town that was going here, I live 4 hours away and not having a car on campus is hard sometimes.

Ariel

Valparaiso University is the perfect small, private university!

Valparaiso University is the perfect small, private university!

If I could talk to my high-school self about college life, I would probably not be able to stop talking! First of all, I would tell myself to not be afraid to open up to people. My freshman year would have been so much better had I not been so shy. Making the transition between high school and college is hard enough in itself, but it is exponentially more difficult to do when you feel like you're alone. The majority of freshmen feel the same way in the first month or so of college--lost, stranded, and lonely. This unifying factor can be the foundation of friendships that last an entire lifetime! Secondly, I would encourage myself to think more critically about reading assignments and to participate in class discussions. It is amazing how much you can learn about yourself just by asking yourself questions about your values and convictions. Lastly, I would remind myself to eat. Mom isn't going to call you down for dinner!

I wish I had known that I could ask for help and be taken seriously by faculty and staff members.

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.