Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Riley

Valpo provides a very easy environment to meet new people who share your values and the same activities. Although the population is small, there is a very diverse population and every student is able to find their own niche and thrive here.

My number one piece of advice for college searching is "Don't let money be the deciding factor in your college choice." Ninety-nine percent of college students are paying more than they can afford, so expect to be among this group. But don't worry, the bills will be paid and when you get a job doing what you love, the money spent will be well worth the education you received.. Nevertheless, don't waste this money. Make the most of your college experience. Try new things and say yes to more invitations than you normally would, otherwise you may miss out on incredible opportunities or invaluable friendships. However, never let anybody or anything drive you to act outside of your beliefs or values. Stick to that which defines you and be yourself. The people who love you for who you are WILL find you. Have fun, but don't let social engagements dampen your performance in school, i.e. don't forget why you're at school in the first place. Two final pieces of advice: don't play videogames for more than an hour, and call your mother every week to tell her that you love her.

I brag about how small my class sizes are and how personally involved I can become with my professors as a result. I am able to take classes with my favorite professors several times if I want to.

Kurtis

Its a smaller campus but that doesn't mean that there is not a lot to do on campus, though the town should grow a little more so there would be more options available.

Students should join some type of organization whether it be a sorority/ fraternity, varsity sport, a group involving thier major, or some other type of group. Also just be open about anything and not to sound like a cliche but just be yourself.

People who are not hard workers because the acedemic standards are higher than many other colleges.

Leigh

My classmates tend to be intrinsically driven to succeed in their chosen area of study, and they are very good at getting to know and including new students--especially freshmen--into their groups of friends outside of the classroom; however, my classmates know how to relax and have fun with their friends (as well as meeting new people) without ruining their GPA or becoming stressed out past the point of unhealthy, therefore leading well-balanced lives and getting the most out of Valparaiso University as possible, and without exhausting themselves while trying to take in the whole campus.

Searching for the right college is like the quest for the perfect pet. Your dream pet often looks amazing, knows how to serve you, and can grow with you, whether it is a Golden Retriever who greets you--tail wagging--at the door when you come home from a long day at work, or a gecko who wears a perpetual smile to brighten your day whenever you come into the room. Likewise, the perfect college often has a perfectly groomed campus, offers many unique opportunities, and can mature with you to prevent stagnation. When searching for the right college, it is imperative to find opportunities for not only freshman year, but ones that will help you mature into a well-educated, well-socialized member of society upon graduation. What kind of activities does the college offer? How well does the career center serve its students? Much like the perfect pet, the right college will value you as a student and person. You shouldn't have to sacrifice for a great experience, because the right college will fit your mold, not the other way around. After all, when was the last time Fido took your seat at the dinner table?

While Valparaiso University has many, many attributes, I consider the worst thing about it to be the weather. Not kidding! The nickname for VU is "Valparainsnow University in Windiana" because it is possible to go through three seasons in one day. For instance, one day, I was getting out of choir rehearsal in a thunderstorm, went to a Biology lab, and when I came out of the science building, there was a huge blizzard in progress with two to three inches of snow on the ground already. It adds interest, yes, but it can be very inconvenient.

Kimberly

It is my comfortable home away from home; my college family, complete with a nice backyard.

Talk to people and get involved. I found out about my dream school by talking with others from my church and community. Of course I would suggest doing an overnight visit and sitting in on some classes, but if that is not possible, call the admissions office and they can have a real student answer your questions and concerns. Every current college student will give you the real insight. As far as getting the most out of your college experience, look up all the free things to do your first few weeks of college. I was in a group called, "The Free Stuff Addicts". This was a small group of girls from my floor and we went to every free event, dinner, club meeting, and movie just to get to know people, and of course get free stuff! It was a great way for my small group to become close and also find out about the happenings on campus without having to go to a meeting by yourself. After the first few weeks, we all settled into our chosen clubs and established ourselves on campus. So in both cases, get involved and talk to people.

I think the person that should attend Valparaiso would be a student that is looking for home away from home. The campus becomes a tight-knit family but it also big enough to meet new people. This person should also be willing to get to know professors and be cared for by them. They should not be afraid to have a name and not a number during college. Also, they should have a genuine love for their major.

Katelyn

The religious presence on my campus really sets it apart from other colleges. When I first had an overnight visit to Valpo, I met a lot of wonderful people and I felt like I fit in. I didn't want to go home after the visit. This school took time out of every weekday for a non-required Chapel break and had a beautiful candelight service on Sunday nights. It gave me an opportunity to grow in my Christian relationship on my own and certainly with others. It was helpful to me. There's also a united campus feel.

My own college search progress probably wouldn?t be of much help to you. Once I stayed the night at Valpo I knew it was where I wanted to go. I didn?t visit many colleges, nor did I find it necessary to apply to many. In that sense, I have little advice I can give you. All I can say is don?t take a college for its face value. I didn?t like Valpo at all after the campus tour. But its important to see how classes work on a campus. It is important to get a feel for the people you will be interacting with on campus, and how the social life is on a campus. Then again, I only had one overnight visit. If I had stayed over at another college, maybe I would have been torn between colleges. But I think it is important, to an extent, to believe that you will simply know where you are going to end up because it feels so right that you cannot imagine yourself anywhere else. After my overnight, I wanted to be back on campus. I wished I didn?t have to leave. Persevere, pray, and apply.

Alyssa

My classmates are a wide range of individuals, but I do not see them for WHAT they are, I see them for WHO they are; my classmates have opened my eyes to other cultures around the world as well as I exposing my culture to them.

Valpo is best known, academically, for nursing and meteorology and, athleticaly, basketball and volleyball; it is known reguardless as a school for indiviuals who want to work hard, put in the effort, and achieve a dream.

Let the student do the research and let the student go on a visit day and let the student make the decision. Before all of this starts, give them encouragement but let them make the decision. You (the parents) taught them well, now let them decide and let them spread their wings. For making the most out of a college experience, be respectful and have fun. It's scary that first month or so, but don't be afraid to step out of your box. There are people at you college choice that will welcome you with open arms. One word of advice: don't let it get to your head. You are an adult and must learn to stand on your own two feet and adapt and overcome whatever life throws at you. With the support of a loving family and friends in the back of your mind, you will do fine.

Dedicated, hard-working, driven achievers.

Dedicated, hard-working, driven achievers.

Visit as many places as possible and really sit down to figure out how much they can offer. Write down all of the important information to you and then weigh them all against each other. Take pictures of the campus; things you really like and dislike. It will make the student's decision so much easier when they have all of the information in front of them. They will choose a better fit for them and you will know how much money you will be spending.

Close proximity to Chicago, small class sizes, walkable campus, nice dorms, dunes beaches.

Ryan

VU has a strong Lutheran tradition that is well-known. The faith community here is a big deal to a lot of students and most of the faculty, but it isn't oppressive. I'm not Lutheran and don't feel out of place.

Apply to more schools than you care about. No matter how sure you are that your first choice will accept you, apply to more schools than you think you should; I recommend at least 5. Apps are annoying, but worthwhile. As a sophomore considering transfer, it is better to have more options than you need, than not having enough if a top pick doesn't accept you. Take advantage of priority filing and apply like crazy. You'll be glad for it in the long run.

The friends I've made here. The academic potential here is great, but it doesn't set itself apart from other similar schools until you meet the people here. I've made good friends with peers and professors, and they have all been wonderful parts of my life.

kelsi

Our men's basketball team 10 years ago was really good; they're really young this year, but the games are still intense. We also have excellent nursing, engineering and meteorology departments. Our business school is a large supporter of eco-friendly and ethical practices and organizations that sponsor such practices or activities.

It's important to find the right fit. A student will call this place their home for the next 4 years. It's important to take into consideration desired major/career, extra-curriculars and campus involvement opportunities, and location. I wanted somewhere far from home for my own independence and have had a wonderful experience making friends and learning to travel on my own. For others, this might not be ideal, so it's important to remember your own preferences when making a decision. It's your future so make your own decision and don't be influenced by anyone else!

It's really really cold here, but don't let that dishearten you because you can still study abroad and go somewhere warm!!!

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.