Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

John

Valpo is a great place. I really enjoy just about everything. It can be a bit windy... probably its biggest downside. The academics challenge me and the people are friendly.

Salt - Student action leadership team. upc - university programming council greek life. Greek life here is fantastic. It is so different than stereotypical greek life. We work extensively with the community through philanthropy.

Super nice. Valpo people are the best people.

I am an Engineering Major, and the engineering college is difficult but not impossible. There is also a lot of support for struggling students, especially in engineering.

I am actually not attending Valparaiso University. I am going to Ivy Tech in Valparaiso, but that was not an option in the drop down menu, so I jsut chose VU so I could continue with the survey. At Ivy Tech, the student body is extremely diverse, from high schoolers to senior citizens, from every race. I like going here and enjoy the diversity because it really goes to show you that it doesn't matter who you are; when the time is right for school, you go and that's all there is to it!

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from putting a social life over my homework. I quit caring and stopped trying, and that has really set me back in terms of scholarships and pther things. I only got a 2.9 in high school but I was capable of so much more. Even though I am ashamed of how I acted in high school, in a way I am glad, because I never would have had my baby, and never would have been able to be living the life I have right now, which is with my daughter and fiance. It is a shame that I can't boast a higher GPA, but I have really turned that draw back into motivation to exceed everyone's expectations of my college career! I am pushing myself harder than ever to prove to everoyne - including myself - that I am perfectly capable of a 4.0, and I don't think it would be that way if I had done things the "right" way in high school.

I really wish I had known that community college isn't bad; I was raised in a family that negativelt judged community colleges and the students that attended; just because you start small does not make you any less of a person than someone attending a large-scale 4-year university. I also wish I had tried harder in high school so I could have taken higher level classes my first year here.

Dawn

There are so many things I would like to tell myself as a senior in high school. First, I would say to listen to your parents advice. They know you very well and only want what is best for you. With that being said, you also don't need to go to a college only because your parents want you to go there. You have to be comfortable and excited about where you are going to college. Secondly, take ownership of your decisions, education, life, and career. You need to want it! If you are going to college just to please your parents then it will be a terrible experience and you will not do as well as you could. Lastly, live life to its fullest! Life is short and your college experience will fly by. Take advantage of all of the different groups and activites that the college has to offer. Expand your horizons and take a class or two that is out of your realm of normalcy. Meet as many new people as you can and make friends with people who accept you for who you already are. These are just a few things I would tell myself.

The type of person that should attend this school would be driven and passionate. They should be there to learn and discover who they are and what they really want to do in life. They should be focused on their school work but also open to meeting life long friends. The student should be open to learning about God and what His purpose is for their lives. This student should expect to have Valparaiso be their starting block to a great career.

I honestly had such a wonderful experience at Valparaiso. Their professors, advisors, and deans were all so involved and caring! If I had to really search for something frustrating it would be the cost to attend. The fact that it is a private school makes it very expensive but I felt it was so worth it with the type of education you were receiving.

Amber

There is one thing that I wish I knew before I came to this school. I wish that I had known what all the professors were like. I was unaware of what kinds of things the professors would do in the classroom and how they teach their classes.

There are not very many things at my school that are frustrating but there is one that sticks out in my mind. That one thing is the fact that we pay a very large amount of money to go to this school and yet the school cannot remodel dorms and other on campus buildings to make them nicer for the students that use them.

Dearest Taylor, This is a lot different than high school. For one, you need to study. I know you're smart and you would wing every test you took in high school (and somehow managed to be Top Ten in your class), but this is NOTHING like that. You need to be dedicated to your work and DON'T PROCRASTINATE. Seriously, girl. Procrastination will cause you to pull all nighters and I know how much you enjoy your sleep. Tay, you also need to get involved. Your first semester is going to be a rough transition... but that is okay! Go out and meet to people! Don't sit in your dorm all day and mope because you "don't have fellowship with others of your faith." Get off your lazy butt and be social. There are a lot of amazing people and professors at this school, so don't lose any opportunities to give your all to those around you. My last bit of advice: clean your room and do your laundry. There is something so satisfying about having a clean room and fresh pajamas after a long day of work. Take advantage of that.

We have an honor code we write on our paper before exams, but our professors still don't trust us. In one of my classes, we had to be arms length apart from one another during our midterm. If we were caught holding our phones, even if they were off, it counted as cheating and we would have to go to the honor council. I am completely understanding of this, but why do we have an honor code, then?

Personally, I came into this school knowing it was of a Lutheran background so I assumed it had strong Christian values. There are people who do, but generally, I feel it does not. It frustrates me having Christian professors who teach improper doctorine and it frustrates me that we are a dry campus but barely enforce people who drink and smoke on campus.

Sariah

I think the best thing my school is known for is the academic program that is offered. There is a very wide variety of classes for students to choose from and a large list of majors and minors. They offer many opportunities for students to get internships and jobs, before their intended major is complete.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to enjoy the little things in life more. Instead of stressing over perfect grades and studying constantly, I would advice my younger self to endulge in more fun activities like hanging out with friends and playing sports recreationally. While grades are a top priority, it should be a balance between academics and fun.

I think the worst thing about my school is their cancellation days. Where I live (Valparaiso, Indiana), during the winter season, this area gets a lot of snow and other bad weather. This results in students not being able to make it to scheduled classes. However, even with my school knowing about the bad weather conditions, sometimes classes are not cancelled. This forces students to drive or walk to classes in these terrible conditions.

Dear Nicole, Don't pick any morning classes, you will hate yourself for doing so. Also, do not under any circumstances freak out about not being able to handle the work load—you'll just give yourself hives. You're amazing, no matter what Dad says, you don't need to remove yourself from your social life to do well. The same goes for work, leave time in your schedule to go to work, otherwise you'll get made fun of by the guys for not working as much as everyone else. Apply for financial aid! Pressure Dad into giving you whatever information you need, he's wrong that it's a waste of time. You have to look out for your own best interests because no one else will. More than anything else, if you do nothing else that I say, do this one thing: Don't give up or give in. There are going to be times when you can't seem to get out of bed because the weight of the world is pressing down on you. Just do what needs to be done and the weight will be lifted. Don't stop fighting. Ever. Love, Nicole.

CRYSTAL

The campus is absolutely beautiful! The modern architecture mixed with the hilly landscape is one of the most appealing things about the school. The newly renovated Union and The library are definitely the high points of the school. The dorms are ok depending on which one you live in.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to develop a solid career plan. I would also make the suggestion of having plenty of alternate plans. Then I would tell myself to focus on acquiring financial literacy and developing career strategies, so that I can live comfortably when I am ready to start a family. I would also suggest working part-time while attending school, and to continually look for and apply for scholarships until I am completely finished with all of my education (undergraduate, and professional). I would also tell myself to make sure that I have health insurance since college students often get sick, and if I do not work, the cost of medical care will be overwhelming. I would also warn myself against taking out too much money in student loans, particularly private loans because private loans do not offer alterante re-payment plans nor do they forgive loans unless I am deceased or a have a permanent, debilitating disability. Most importantly, I would tell myself to seek balance and enjoy the college lifestyle because I will never get the opportunity to experience it again.

If you are reserved, intetellectual, and conservative, Valpo is ideal for you. The workload is not too demanding, but it can be challenging. There isn't much to do except go to Wal-Mart on the weekends, and play around in the store. The town is small, and there are a number of little shops to explore in downtown Valpo. I would suggest getting involved with a local non-for-profit organization, and doing community service or getting a job so that you are not completely bored. Valpo is also a dry campus, meaning you cannot drink. So beware.

Christina

I would tell myself to start looking into different colleges early in my senior year. Ask myself if i wanted to go to school online or try to go to a school close to me. If i was working, i would really start saving to help myself pay for college that way i didn't have to take out so many student loans. I wouldn't be so nervous about it, more excited than anything!!

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.