Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Valparaiso University is a great school to thrive academically and meet life-long friends.

Making the transition to college is a milestone in one's life. You are leaving everything you have ever known to begin a new chapter in your life. While I am quite satisfied with my choice of attending Valparaiso University, there are some things that I wish someone would have told me in high school before I moved away to college. First of all, studying for college exams is completely different than high school courses. If you want to succeed you have to budget your time wisely and study for days if you want that A. The material is presented more quickly than it was in high school, so be prepared to learn on your own outside of class. Another piece of advice I would have liked to here in high school was making new friends takes time. In movies, college students are perceived as meeting new best friends within the first week. While I have met some great people here, it did not happen over night. You have to be patient, and before you know it, youll have great people to hang out with. Lastly, enjoy these four years because it is a completely unique experience unlike anything else.

I wish I would have known the limited variety of classes in the science department.

Kelley

My school is a small, acidemically based, kind comunity, and most of all fun.

My school is a small, acidemically based, kind comunity, and most of all fun.

I would Tell my self not to stress out as much as I did. I was really worried about balancing track and school. I would also tell myself to have more fun. You only have 4 years of college and even though I was busy, I could have had more movie nights or more times where I hung out with my friends. I would also tell myslef to get involved with a few more things on campus. Valparaiso University is a small campus so it is really easy to get to know everyone and I feel like if I got involeved with more things I would have meet a lot more new people.

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is sometimes I have to take a lab that goes through my practice time. It can sometimes be hard to schedule my classes and labs at a time that makes it able for me to go to all my practices.

Some of my freinds are also my classmates. There is some diversity in the students in my classes last semester.

I chose Valparaiso University because it felt like the right place for me to be. It is a beautiful campus. And something that I think is unique (though I hope that it is like this at every school) is that just about everyone will hold the door for everyone else on campus.

I would give myself the advice to always plan ahead, to start homework early, and to get on a regular sleeping schedule. I would advise myself to read all the books too. I would tell myself that your beliefs will be challenged, but you need to stand strong in your beliefs (as not to change), but to have an open mind for those who have different beliefs than you. I feel that I made this transition into being more open-minded my freshman year of college. I would give myself the advice to not pick a roommate when I went to summer orientation, or if I did, to make sure to fill out the roommate agreement when getting on campus.

My classmates are very compassionate, welcoming, and we all truly have a great sense of school pride, that can be seen at many of the crusader sporting events.

The unity that is experienced between all the students on campus is suomething that set Valparaiso University apart for other colleges and universities in my eyes. This feeling is achieved by the living and the dining arrangments.

There is nothing that would have made me change my mind about my chosen university. There is some advice that I would give myself about making the transition though. I think that if I could go back in time I would make sure to try and develop myself as person who can get by with solely relying on myself; at college you won't necessarily have your high school friends with you, in my case I didn't, and you don't have your parents either. In college you have to learn how to get by without a lot of direct support from others at certain times. I personally was not a person who did overnight camps, and I think that the experience of overnight camps would give someone a taste of the college life in the sense of independence. I would also tell myself that I had truly never experienced studying hard for a test in high school; the amount of time that a student needs to put into their school work compared to high school is unbelievably more. The biggest adjustment for me was the amount of time and independence that I had.

Adrieanna

The classmates typically lead the conversation with guidance from the professors so it is more personalized, more independent, though by no means are the students left to wonder idly; the content of the conversation always seek to capitalize on the presented knowledge and offer alternative perspectives. They tend to help in the case you miss a class or two here and there with in-depth and insightful notes.

I've always worked full time during high school, and throughout the summer; it was the mark to show I was great at multitasking. I kept great grades, maintained the honor roll, and did well on SAT, ACT, and all other major tests during that year. Yet, I would always make myself aware the workload is different, as well as expectations and approach. I've always been an independent worker, but it is different when you don't have that constant reminder or buffer in the case YOU JUST FORGOT or you JUST DIDN'T HAVE TIME. I hardly got sick, but when I did it was a luxury. Now...it's more of a hassel. I would tell ANYONE to make sure they are prioritizing and know where their time is going.

There isn't much. The school made exceptional efforts to allow the student understanding of what to be expected, and what is expected of them.

Lucas

They are probably best known for Bryce Drew ( the basketball coach ) making a buzzer-beater in the NCAA tournament when he played here. They are also well know for being in the Horizion League and being a very good engineering and nursing school

This school is unique because it has the feel of a division I sports school but is small and also has to feel of a littler school. It is kind of like it has the best of both worlds. It is also individually focused since it is a smaller school.

Don't stress out over the little things. Not everything is going to be perfect or go your way, so you have to accept that. Just remember that with a good attitude and hard work, you can do anything that you put your mind to. Stay focused and never give up on your goals!

Kimberly

Start everything early! Look for scholarships and other financial aid early on so that you know that you can pay for school and so that payments on tuition do not prevent you from registering for classes later on. Make freinds right away. If you are social the first few weeks it will be easier to be social later, and by then you will already have friends. Under no circumstances should you procrastinate on end-of-term projects and papers. When they are initially assigned, start them. Work on them a little bit each day so that they do not overwhelm you right before finals, because that is the worst. The longer you wait to do anything, the harder it becomes to do, and the worse the consequences will be. A jump start is the surest way to a life with minimal amounts of stress. Allowed to run rampant, stress will quickly become debilitating. The more you can minimize your stress the happier and more productive you will be.

Just that it would be have been better to have gotten all of my finances squared away in the beginning so that it would not have become an on-going problem that affects other aspects of my life.

People who prefer larger schools and classrooms, people who do not want to be surrounded by religion, people who would like to be close to city life, and people who are not prepared to buckle down and focus on school work.

Alana

Valparaiso University has a small campus that doesn't feel overwhelming, but is big enough to allow students a feeling of freedom and personal space with people that make you feel welcome and appreciated.

The students, who are a wide assortment of all nationalities and ethnicities, are driven and determined individuals that work well with others to get the best results, whether it's in the community or in the classroom.

I would tell myself to look past the fact that it is the last year of high school and to stay focused. Senior year is the big beginning focus point for colleges and senior classes can't just be pushed aside as an afterthought. I would also tell myself to start looking at colleges earlier. I lucked out with how great my college is, but I would tell myself to look at the best colleges I could. I would search for colleges that have a field that sounded interesting to me, because without classes that interest you, there isn't motivation. I would also push myself to apply for as many scholarships that applied to me. I ended up applying at the last minute, and I needed as much financial aid as I could receive. I would make myself realize that just because you put it off, that doesn't mean that every thing will end up working intself out without help. Mostly I would tell myself to stay focused but not to worry so much, otherwise you can get lost in all the little factors.

Ben

In the media, Valpo is best known for its basketball team, ex-coach Homer Drew, and his son's Sweet 16 buzzer beater, The Shot. Academically I think it is very well respected as an institution for engineers. I'm not sure how it is regarded within the Lutheran community, but the fact that it is affiliated with the Lutheran church is big. The chapel is one of the campus's main architectural draws.

College is a great opportunity to meet people, try different things, and grow as a person socially and intellectually, but it's easy to get lost and mixed up amidst the pressures of new ideas, environments, and social groups. In college, people from all over the country are thrown together, and every single person brings a unique perspective to the table. Well-informed, accomplished, and philosophical professors also bring fresh, controversial ideas to light. In the thick of all these new influences it's essential to step back and evaluate each one. Pat Tillman once said, "You should question it all, take what makes sense, and throw away the rest." Such an attitude is a necessity in college. Rather than simply accepting new concepts and beliefs, one should challenge and examine them in accordance with prior values and convictions that have led to success. In conclusion, to sum it all up, I say to my high school self, "Be open and to the ideas, thoughts, and influence of others, but never lose sight of the person that got you to where you are today."

One of the worst things about Valpo is the student involvement in athletics and some other school sponsered activites. However, this year I have seen drastic improvements in this area in comparison to last year. Another negative aspect of Valpo is that it's a dry campus: no alcohol. I don't drink myself, but I know many students don't like this policy. Also, if you are underage and caught intoxicated on campus they lock you up for the night rather than issuing an underage drinking ticket. The football team is horrible and many facilities (athletic&academic) need updating.

Kirsten

My school is known for being one of the best schools in the country for Law. You can definately find a lawyer husband if that's what your looking for, and our food is phenomonal.

If I went back in time and knew what I know now, I would advise myself not to room with my current roomate. I would advise myself to hold off on taking spanish first semester because it's clear I needed time to brush up. The most important thing I would advise is to enjoy the time I have before I start college, and sign loans, and pack away my childhood to start my young adulthood. College has been a great experience so far, and I have high hopes that it will only get better. I will cling to these next 3 1/2 years because my time will be up soon, and I will start a whole new journey in life.

The worst thing about my school are the freshman dorms. It was so hard adjusting to our beds that randomly fly out of the walls when you sit on them. No matter how well you decorate your room it still resembles a prison cell, and our community bathrooms are beyond distrubing and disgusting.

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.