Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Alana

Valparaiso University has a small campus that doesn't feel overwhelming, but is big enough to allow students a feeling of freedom and personal space with people that make you feel welcome and appreciated.

The students, who are a wide assortment of all nationalities and ethnicities, are driven and determined individuals that work well with others to get the best results, whether it's in the community or in the classroom.

I would tell myself to look past the fact that it is the last year of high school and to stay focused. Senior year is the big beginning focus point for colleges and senior classes can't just be pushed aside as an afterthought. I would also tell myself to start looking at colleges earlier. I lucked out with how great my college is, but I would tell myself to look at the best colleges I could. I would search for colleges that have a field that sounded interesting to me, because without classes that interest you, there isn't motivation. I would also push myself to apply for as many scholarships that applied to me. I ended up applying at the last minute, and I needed as much financial aid as I could receive. I would make myself realize that just because you put it off, that doesn't mean that every thing will end up working intself out without help. Mostly I would tell myself to stay focused but not to worry so much, otherwise you can get lost in all the little factors.

Ben

In the media, Valpo is best known for its basketball team, ex-coach Homer Drew, and his son's Sweet 16 buzzer beater, The Shot. Academically I think it is very well respected as an institution for engineers. I'm not sure how it is regarded within the Lutheran community, but the fact that it is affiliated with the Lutheran church is big. The chapel is one of the campus's main architectural draws.

College is a great opportunity to meet people, try different things, and grow as a person socially and intellectually, but it's easy to get lost and mixed up amidst the pressures of new ideas, environments, and social groups. In college, people from all over the country are thrown together, and every single person brings a unique perspective to the table. Well-informed, accomplished, and philosophical professors also bring fresh, controversial ideas to light. In the thick of all these new influences it's essential to step back and evaluate each one. Pat Tillman once said, "You should question it all, take what makes sense, and throw away the rest." Such an attitude is a necessity in college. Rather than simply accepting new concepts and beliefs, one should challenge and examine them in accordance with prior values and convictions that have led to success. In conclusion, to sum it all up, I say to my high school self, "Be open and to the ideas, thoughts, and influence of others, but never lose sight of the person that got you to where you are today."

One of the worst things about Valpo is the student involvement in athletics and some other school sponsered activites. However, this year I have seen drastic improvements in this area in comparison to last year. Another negative aspect of Valpo is that it's a dry campus: no alcohol. I don't drink myself, but I know many students don't like this policy. Also, if you are underage and caught intoxicated on campus they lock you up for the night rather than issuing an underage drinking ticket. The football team is horrible and many facilities (athletic&academic) need updating.

Kirsten

My school is known for being one of the best schools in the country for Law. You can definately find a lawyer husband if that's what your looking for, and our food is phenomonal.

If I went back in time and knew what I know now, I would advise myself not to room with my current roomate. I would advise myself to hold off on taking spanish first semester because it's clear I needed time to brush up. The most important thing I would advise is to enjoy the time I have before I start college, and sign loans, and pack away my childhood to start my young adulthood. College has been a great experience so far, and I have high hopes that it will only get better. I will cling to these next 3 1/2 years because my time will be up soon, and I will start a whole new journey in life.

The worst thing about my school are the freshman dorms. It was so hard adjusting to our beds that randomly fly out of the walls when you sit on them. No matter how well you decorate your room it still resembles a prison cell, and our community bathrooms are beyond distrubing and disgusting.

Connie

I actually never made it to my senior year in High School. If I could go back to my sophmore year, I would tell myself that even though I was a young mother, I could finish High School with honors and get into a very nice college.

There are tons of groups to be involved in and all of them are always putting on some kind of program to get the students involved. You can guarantee that you will never be bored on campus.

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and get a job. I am constantly worried about my expenses and whether or not I will be able to pay everything off.

Everyone on campus is nice and polite. Valpo really feels like a welcoming community.

Excited about lehigh, the future and where they fit in a community.

Excited about lehigh, the future and where they fit in a community.

This time of the year (early October) I have found myself thinking a lot about where I was just a year ago. I was frantically trying to fit myself into a hundred different scenarios at all of the top tier schools in the country. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that everything really does work out. In the end, it does not matter the "brand name" of your school, it matters if your school gets you. Yes, a lot of college is what you make it, but in the end you want a school that understands you as a student and offers opportunities for bettering yourself intellectually and as a global citizen. Well, it turns out that that's what colleges are all about! They have to "get" you AND your polar opposite that lives accross the hall. I like to tell my friends in the throws of the application process that although it may seem impersonal now, colleges devote massive amounts of time and energy into understanding you as a person, not just as a student. Remember that when you are accepted you really are more than a common app ID number.

Someone who cannot see past the stereotypes of frat boys and sorority girls should not attend. Lehigh University is a lot more than that. Go deeper. This school rewards you for expanding yourself and for the giving of your thoughtful observations of the educational institution.

Charles

Valparaiso is unique compared to other schools in many ways. It is a small school that focuses on a rounded view of education in order to ensure that each student receives an education that is beyond adequate. The majority of the classes offered by Valparaiso are small with professors that know students on a personal level and offer assistance however possible.

After living the college life for just three semesters, there is endless advice I would give myself as a high school senior if I could go back in time. However, my advice could be categorized into two key aspects; organization and setting goals. Adjusting to college life would not have been possible for me if not for careful planning. The key to managing any busy schedule is organization. The same concept applies to college and everything that comes along with it. I would tell myself that I would be faced with countless assignments, events, social gatherings, and numerous other obligations that all require time and effort. Organization is a powerful tool to ensure that every requirement is appropriately dealt with. However, organization is redundant if there is a lack of direction and purpose. Goal setting illustrates exactly what should be accomplished by a set time. Goals need organization in order to be executed properly, and organization depends on goals to produce a map to success. Setting goals and committing to organization are co-dependent upon each other.The transition to college life can be challenging, but with the right step forward, it can be an extremely successful experience.

Students looking to attend Valparaiso University should be willing to work hard in a competitive academic environment. Future students should be involved in on-campus organizations to acquire a social education along with an academic learning experience in order to reach their full potential. Finally, students looking to attend Valparaiso University should be high performing individuals with a drive for success.

Charles

Valparaiso University is a small Lutheran school dedicated to pushing students to achieve their maximum potential.

My class mates are hard working students with a common goal of self improvement.

Teryn

If I went back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to allow worrying and stress to hinder my actions. Even when a choice seems impossible, such as choosing a college, I've realized that everything always seems to work out alright. No matter where you go to school you will have likes and dislikes. The challenge is to not let such petty things and worries inhibit you from making your college experience your own. Stressing and worrying only impede your ability to perform, and often times make you less productive. However, if you are not overcome by stress and worry, you can actively pursue a solution to your problems, and ultimately become a better person from it.

The worst thing about this school is the weather. It is generally either raining, snowing, sleeting, hailing, extremely windy, or any combination of these. This can really put a damper on one's mood.

A person should not attend this shcool if they are not interested in a liberal arts education. This is a prominent focus at Valpo, and penetrates all fields of study. For example, in my chemistry class, we are asked to write abstracts for our lab experiments. In biology, we write review papers for various seminars and lectures also. If someone is focused on a particular area of study, and feels that liberal arts would add unnecessary "busy-work" to his or her studies, then this school is not for them.

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.