Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Corey

Before I ever stepped foot on to a College campus, I was repeatedly told that this experience will be the best experience you will ever have. Of course, myself being 19 years of age thought they had no idea what they were talking about. Now I sit here about to embark on another adventure into Graduate school. It makes me look back and say they were right. I thought they meant that it was all about the education but now I see they mean the whole experience. The education, friends, activities, and fun. They mold you into who you are today. I thank Valparaiso University for everything they have given me. Not just for the amazing education but for all the cultural experiences, professors, and friends that I have now. It was the best 4 years of my life and I would do it all over again if I had the chance. It is not all about the education for a school. It is what they offer in activities and faculty that truly make this an amazing adventure for you to learn who you truly are. That is what they gave me and I thank them.

The best thing about Valparaiso University is the way the professors interact with you. We had such a small class size that it was easy to have class discussions and engage every student. This helps everyone so that they do not become bored and can have an opinion about the topic we are discussing in class.

The one item I consider to be the worst thing about Valparaiso University is the dining services. There was not enough variety for the students to try and enjoy. Not enough choices.

scott

I feel as if though it is a once in a life time experiance, all which benefits you in the end. i love meeting new people and learning a trade that has always interested me. i am much happier know that i've applied myself and i am using my full potential in my life and job, i think of what great things i've achieved through my life and all of which pertain to my college education.

Brad

Immediatly into coming to college I had submitted my resume to the school for a technical theatre position. Five minutes after I layed down the precious document the professor rushed out and called me into his office. Richard Harmon had noticed that I had extensive knowledge in DMX, and he just purchased a wireless DMX system and needed someone to figure out how to operate it. DMX is a control for intelligent lighting. Since I taught him how to operate and control this new system, he made me Master Electrician. The experiance of being a leader in a professional enviornment has been astounding. The professors let a freshmen teach the entire department how to utilize and control the new growing technology. Both staff and student alike were receptive of having a new guy come in and teach them in deepth skills on the art.

Kay

This college experience has allowed me to interact with people of all ages, fresh from highschool, mothers, fathers, grand parents, and people who are just going back to school to further thier education. By interacting with all of this people, my decision to become a kindergarten teacher has been reinforced. I know, without a doubt, that I want to make a difference in young children's lives, and I also know, that I hate getting up infront of a group of people unless they are 5 or 6. I have also learned the necessary skills to be a great college student. This experience has been very valuable and I would recommend enrolling in a 2 year community college and transfering to a 4 year university, wich I plan to do.

Brandie

My college experience has been a fun one. At Valparaiso University all freshman students are required to take what we call a CORE class. It is in this class that has helped me to adjust the most. The CORE class has been extremely valuable because it is based off of discussion. Here the students lead the class and we are able to talk about anything. I have been able to met other freshman who are experienceing the same things that I am: the stress of being at a new school, making new friends, and working a part-time job. I am extremely grateful that I have been able to continue my education by attending college. I value my education very much. I am currently working towards a double major in Psychology and Elementary Education with a minor in Special Education. The value that I place on my education will someday help me help younger students to put the same emphisis on their education.

I wish I had known how far apart my classes are from one another.

There is no bad thing about my school.

Caitlin

“De reir a cheile a thogtar na caisleain” is Irish for “It takes time to build castles” which is one important thing I will take away from my education. I value the wisdom I’ve acquired by listening to professors, and having conversations with them, over any of the knowledge I’ve gained. Knowledge is important, but it’s the life lessons I’ve learned that I will take with me and apply to every aspect of my life. The Irish saying is just one lesson. It means to be patient, to work at a steady pace, never give up, and in time you’ll have something magnificent that you’ve created. It’s the same with anything in life – be patient, work at a steady pace, don’t give up and you’ll have something to be proud of. Without the valuable life lessons I’ve learned while in university I wouldn’t have a pointed direction or constant encouragement of what to do with my life. Even as the knowledge I learned in university fades, the life lessons will still be with me, much like the castle that took patience, and time to build.

The worst thing about the school is the inability to enforce the smoke-free campus. We are told it is smoke-free, but see people smoking on campus all the time. It doesn't seem as though this policy is strictly enforced and it makes me wonder why it was put in place in the first place if we aren't going to enforce it.

I tell them about the small, friendly community - about the small class sizes and professors who are willing to help you no matter what and really DO care about how you do in their classes. I brag about how even when I'm discouraged my professor will sit down and take the time to talk to me like a mature adult who knows what I want instead of talking down to me. I talk about the concerts and people that the University Programming Council brings to campus. I also talk about the diversity here even within the small campus.

Matthew

I have learned a lot about my intended career, even in the small amount of time I have been here, less than a semester. I have also learned how to manage my time better than I have in the past.

I love the people that I have met here so far. Also, I like the class sizes and the amount of resources that you have to help you with everything and how accessible the professors are.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how expensive the food is.

Pamela

A sense of community and of values, the ability to be independent and the knowledge that I'll need to be able to handle myself in society. It's only been a few months, but I believe that I've grown up a lot. The whole college experience has been amazing and has affected my entire life and my outlook on the world. Before coming here, I felt like just a kid, about to be thrown out into the real world with no knowledge of the way things work, but college has already provided me with some insight into the world and how I should handle myself in it. College is a vital step in transitioning from high school kid to full grown adult and functioning, helpful member of society.

The close-knit feel, that is sort of true of the entire community. Everyone seems to be friends with everyone else; everyone knows each other, and things are incredibly calm and peaceful here. That's not to say that there isn't the typical drama, of course, but it's not the focus of t he university. We're all happy here, comfortable with each other. Everyone on campus is a member of my extended family.

A person who likes to party; this is a dry campus, a smoke-free campus, and a very small and moral community of people. There's no room here for people who want to play around, have a lot of parties, or get involved in the darker side of college. There are parties here, don't get me wrong, and we all have fun, to be certain, but in a healthy and morally acceptable environment.

Calin

Valparaiso University is a school where students can come together to become more involved, to encourage academic growth and learning, and to form lasting friendships throughout their four years in attendance.

After being at Valparaiso University for a semester and a half, I have learned more about not only my area of study, but also about myself. I have learned how to study and how to succeed in college. I have learned to love the subjects that teach me the important things I need to know for the profession that I want to pursue. I joined clubs, participated in intramurals, and even joined a sorority! Besides all of these accomplishments, I also learned how to be out on my own in the world and to have confidence in myself. I look at myself now and I do not even see the girl I was less than seven months ago! The experiences I have had for my first few semesters at VU are unique to only VU; my university taught me so many things that another school would not. I grew up and I have learned so many things about the world around me and myself.

The kind of person that should attend Valparaiso University is a person who likes a small school setting. They should be interested in getting involved in things at school. There are a lot of opportunities to join clubs and intramurals and the other events that are offered are really enriching and interesting. They should like small class sizes and a great opportunity to get to know their professors and fellow classmates.

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.