Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Valparaiso University

Anne

College. Many believe that college is a time to party it up and do what ever one wants because there are no parents around to tell you no. It's not. College is a time of growth and experience. A time of multitasking at its finest. My time so far in college has been a growing experience from immature child to a mature lady. I've learned to balance my time between class, homework, research, partying, and work. College is not as the movie portrays it to be. It is the complete opposite. You have responsibilities and priorities. There are also consequences to ill thought out ideas. The one thing I will take from this experience is if you want something done, do it yourself.

Anastacia

Valparaiso is unique because of the atmosphere. The professors really care about helping you out and answering your questions. The classroom sizes help students feel confortable enough to ask questions and have a relationship with the professors. The students display honorable characteristics and these qualities are even further encouraged while attending school at Valparaiso. Even though it is a small school, there are still enough people to make you feel like you are getting a true college experience. My experience here has been the best. There is good sportsmanship in the athletics and the extracurricular activities are awesome.

My college experience has taught me many things about myself and about the future me I will become. I am having the time of my life and I am very involved here on campus. Nothing will ever replace my times here. Going to college is valuable for more than just an education. You really grow as a person and learn so much about yourself you never know you could. You also learn skills on how to better associate with other people and how to act professionally. I have learned so much in my freshman year alone that I can only imagine what else I will learn in my college experience. Nothing will ever replace the things I learn here or the times I share with everyone around me. The relationships made in college stick with you for the rest of your life and the education is looked at strongly. If I had not gone to college, I would be so limited as to what I could do with my life and I would not have learned how to be with others or be an independent individual.

The worst thing about my school would be the location. The weather here is not so great because it is located so close to the great lakes. We manage, however, and are prepared for anything. There is also not much to do in Valparaiso but most people get so involved on campus it does not really matter. Chicago is also only an hour away if you really want something fun to do.

Nathalie

Valparaiso University is a school of high expectations in the academic field and openminded for any student to develop their own identity and become successful.

The transition to my college life was not an easy task. Nevertheless, I did confront it knowing that this transition was for my own good. I have always known that college is my to becoming successful in life. There are hardly any well paying jobs in todays society where only a high school diploma is accepted. Yet, this was my first time moving away from my home in order to live in a completly different environment with a different group of people. Now that I look back to when I started this journey, I realize the mistake I made. Thus, if I were to return to my senior year in high school, the advice I would give myself is to relax and not be afraid of change.

My school gives a promising opportunity for a diversified student population. It also maintains its academic standards at a high standard. Last of all, the learning experience is unforgetable. Teachers are very devoted to their students. The same is true when it comes to the students.

Andrew

I would tell myself to not be so afraid. The transition was relatively smooth for me and I fit in well here at Valparaiso. However, I would tell myself not to be afraid to try to make friends and talk to more people. I did not really have too much trouble making friends, but I do not really talk to anyone outside of that group. While this is not too much of a problem for me given my personality, I feel I could be having a better time if I knew more people as friends. Also, I would tell myself to get involved more in campus activities. This is a good way to get key life experience and is something I feel I have not done well thus far in my college life.

Someone who wants to be at a big school or in a big city. Someone who wants there to be constant action and partying.

It is a small school with very friendly people. Small class sizes make it easy to learn and the professors are easily accessible. It is an excellent academic environment.

Jordan

I would tell myself to keep having fun and not worry so much about what other people think about you. In high school I was involved in every possible activity, and I was constantly trying to please people. When searching for a college to attend, I was trying to find one that pleased both my parents and myself. Luckly, the one I chose happened to be perfect for both of us. To return to my point of constantly trying to please people, I would tell my past self that it doesn't matter how my senior prom looks because after it is done, it will be in the past and it won't matter anymore. That is true about everything that I tried to make perfect. Also, I would inform myself that at college people don't care about who you were friends with in high school or how involved you were. I know this sounds cliche, but it is true, and it won't make sense until you actually experience it. The main point of my talk would be to just have fun and enjoy all my high school friends.

The best thing about Valparaiso University is the opportunity to be involved. Even as a freshman, I have become a member of the Premed Club, I am a College Mentor, and I have been involved in many intramural activities. I have also just joined a sorority, which is opening the doors to many more opportunities to be involved. I also love the class sizes at Valpo. All of my professors know my name, and they are always available if I have any questions outside of class.

I brag to my friends about how I know so many people on campus. Valparaiso is a relatively small school, so I recognize most of the students on campus. Even if I don't know their names, everyone is very friendly and will smile or say "hello" as you walk past them. My friends that attend larger school say that they feel lost in their giant campus, but I feel perfectly at home here.

Kelsi

Ivy Tech is a school that is full of opportunity to expand your knowledge, succeed in your goals, and is a school full of diverse students and staff from all walks of life that will help mold you into an well rounded. culterally competent professional.

Well Ivy Tech Community College of Valparaiso has a partnership with Valpariaso University that allows you to pursue a BSN at VU after graduating with your ASN from Ivy Tech. The agreement also includes paying Ivy Tech tuition prices for Valparaiso University education and only 46% of Valparaiso University's tuition to obtain your masters. It also takes less time to graduate with an ASN and BSN/MSN throught his program than many others.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to be prepared to study hard and learn more in the next two years than you could possibly imagine. The amount of growth you experience within your first year in a nursing program is tremendous. Ivy Tech Community College will be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Look into the vocational that allows you to take college courses while in college or just take night class or courses on the weekends, this would definitely help jump start your freshman year of college as well as taking less time to get into the nurisng program. Don't be surprised that you will be one of the youngest people in the nursing program, it is a compliment, and you worked hard to get there. Don't be afraid to believe in yourself, you will be a competent nurse, and Ivy Tech Community College will make sure of that.

Ian

Get involved in clubs and activities right away. It's a great way to meet people. Take advantage of every academic and extracurricular opportunity to enhance your resume and/or build your portfolio. Don't be afraid to ask your professors questions or make an appointment to see them. Never miss a class. Participate in class. Take advantage of all extra credit opportunities.

Academically accomplished, well-rounded students. Students who like the idea of a faith-based institution, but without the rigidity and narrow-mindedness of some religious universities. Persons who are desiring the academic reputation, quality and opportunities of a large, research university, but without the massive size.

The dining hall food! The cold, snowy winters.

Kathleen

Kathleen, looking back on my life as a high school senior I would have always thought it was so hard just to graduate and move on in life. After graduating I have come to relize that my thoughts were right trying to finish high school was a struggle but I have succeeded and proven everyone wrong. I have graduated early and i have accomplished my high school goals. Now as i enter the real world where "who you hung out with or what high school team you were on" does not matter , what matters now is Where are you going in life?, What are you going to do?, Have you applied to colleges yet?. My advice would be "Do what you are passionate about", do not listen to other in telling you what do. It is your life and you are the one that has to live with your occupation and deal with the choices you make and learn from your mistakes as they come at you. Also i would tell myself that the would is at my finger tips and i have my whole life a head of me to figure out what is right for me to do

Gabriela

A welcoming community tha provides students with fair opportunities to succeed.

A welcoming community tha provides students with fair opportunities to succeed.

I came from South Florida so this was really the only school I applied for out of state. Obviously the weather and community is very different than what I am accustomed to, but it is not something that negatively affects my opinion of the University. Valparaiso is also much smaller than other Universities I applied too and the majority of the students are white/caucasian. Valpo, however is a growing University so there are many opportunities to get involved with the school and create new groups, organizations, or activities.

The first thing I would do different starts at the very beginning, before even choosing a college or university and completing the extensive application process. Now that I am fully aware of how much of an effect SAT and ACT scores have on one's qualification for certain universities, I would definitely try my absolute hardest to get a good score and not brush off the exam as if it were insignificant. I would have also started looking into universities my junior year of high school so that I would be aware of the aplication deadlines and the requirements needed in order to be accepted into my prefered school. I found myself completing everything last minute when I was applying for college, so that is also something I would encourage prospective college students to do. Stay on top of your applications, deadlines, and scholarship information so that you are the one choosing the University you want to attend, not just winding up "stuck" at one.

Valparaiso University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.