Valparaiso University Top Questions

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from putting a social life over my homework. I quit caring and stopped trying, and that has really set me back in terms of scholarships and pther things. I only got a 2.9 in high school but I was capable of so much more. Even though I am ashamed of how I acted in high school, in a way I am glad, because I never would have had my baby, and never would have been able to be living the life I have right now, which is with my daughter and fiance. It is a shame that I can't boast a higher GPA, but I have really turned that draw back into motivation to exceed everyone's expectations of my college career! I am pushing myself harder than ever to prove to everoyne - including myself - that I am perfectly capable of a 4.0, and I don't think it would be that way if I had done things the "right" way in high school.

Its just gonna be tough sometimes. Keep sucking it up.

Dawn

There are so many things I would like to tell myself as a senior in high school. First, I would say to listen to your parents advice. They know you very well and only want what is best for you. With that being said, you also don't need to go to a college only because your parents want you to go there. You have to be comfortable and excited about where you are going to college. Secondly, take ownership of your decisions, education, life, and career. You need to want it! If you are going to college just to please your parents then it will be a terrible experience and you will not do as well as you could. Lastly, live life to its fullest! Life is short and your college experience will fly by. Take advantage of all of the different groups and activites that the college has to offer. Expand your horizons and take a class or two that is out of your realm of normalcy. Meet as many new people as you can and make friends with people who accept you for who you already are. These are just a few things I would tell myself.

Dearest Taylor, This is a lot different than high school. For one, you need to study. I know you're smart and you would wing every test you took in high school (and somehow managed to be Top Ten in your class), but this is NOTHING like that. You need to be dedicated to your work and DON'T PROCRASTINATE. Seriously, girl. Procrastination will cause you to pull all nighters and I know how much you enjoy your sleep. Tay, you also need to get involved. Your first semester is going to be a rough transition... but that is okay! Go out and meet to people! Don't sit in your dorm all day and mope because you "don't have fellowship with others of your faith." Get off your lazy butt and be social. There are a lot of amazing people and professors at this school, so don't lose any opportunities to give your all to those around you. My last bit of advice: clean your room and do your laundry. There is something so satisfying about having a clean room and fresh pajamas after a long day of work. Take advantage of that.

Sariah

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to enjoy the little things in life more. Instead of stressing over perfect grades and studying constantly, I would advice my younger self to endulge in more fun activities like hanging out with friends and playing sports recreationally. While grades are a top priority, it should be a balance between academics and fun.

Dear Nicole, Don't pick any morning classes, you will hate yourself for doing so. Also, do not under any circumstances freak out about not being able to handle the work load—you'll just give yourself hives. You're amazing, no matter what Dad says, you don't need to remove yourself from your social life to do well. The same goes for work, leave time in your schedule to go to work, otherwise you'll get made fun of by the guys for not working as much as everyone else. Apply for financial aid! Pressure Dad into giving you whatever information you need, he's wrong that it's a waste of time. You have to look out for your own best interests because no one else will. More than anything else, if you do nothing else that I say, do this one thing: Don't give up or give in. There are going to be times when you can't seem to get out of bed because the weight of the world is pressing down on you. Just do what needs to be done and the weight will be lifted. Don't stop fighting. Ever. Love, Nicole.

CRYSTAL

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to develop a solid career plan. I would also make the suggestion of having plenty of alternate plans. Then I would tell myself to focus on acquiring financial literacy and developing career strategies, so that I can live comfortably when I am ready to start a family. I would also suggest working part-time while attending school, and to continually look for and apply for scholarships until I am completely finished with all of my education (undergraduate, and professional). I would also tell myself to make sure that I have health insurance since college students often get sick, and if I do not work, the cost of medical care will be overwhelming. I would also warn myself against taking out too much money in student loans, particularly private loans because private loans do not offer alterante re-payment plans nor do they forgive loans unless I am deceased or a have a permanent, debilitating disability. Most importantly, I would tell myself to seek balance and enjoy the college lifestyle because I will never get the opportunity to experience it again.

I would tell myself to start looking into different colleges early in my senior year. Ask myself if i wanted to go to school online or try to go to a school close to me. If i was working, i would really start saving to help myself pay for college that way i didn't have to take out so many student loans. I wouldn't be so nervous about it, more excited than anything!!

Ernesto

Never give up in your dreams no matter what. All your efforts will be worth it. The way some times will be hard, but you must keep trying, and you will see at the end the light shine. You will remeber those days were you didn't want to continue, the tons of homework, but you will say I did it. I am here and I deserve this.

Rachelle

Dear High School Self, Entering a large university from a small town is going to be a HUGE transition. Although it is an exciting new adventure, you are paying the university to learn and receive the degree of your dreams. Do not put your social life above your classwork. Yes, you are there for four years and have time to build up your GPA, but if you start out unfocused and do not work hard to keep a solid GPA, it will only be harder to raise in your future coursework. Not having a solid grade point will only cause headaches when you are trying to apply to the program of your choice. There are plethora of bright students in the world who are given the opportunity of a lifetime when accepted into a prestigious university; you want to stand out from these students working towards the same goals and not take for granted your. You only have four years to prove yourself, so make your time and money well worth it. Starting off on the right foot your first year will only make your climb to the top easier for your future decisions.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Take more time to read from independent sources, ie for fun not just academic. Early reading habits help with long term study and reading habits.

Making the transition to college is a milestone in one's life. You are leaving everything you have ever known to begin a new chapter in your life. While I am quite satisfied with my choice of attending Valparaiso University, there are some things that I wish someone would have told me in high school before I moved away to college. First of all, studying for college exams is completely different than high school courses. If you want to succeed you have to budget your time wisely and study for days if you want that A. The material is presented more quickly than it was in high school, so be prepared to learn on your own outside of class. Another piece of advice I would have liked to here in high school was making new friends takes time. In movies, college students are perceived as meeting new best friends within the first week. While I have met some great people here, it did not happen over night. You have to be patient, and before you know it, youll have great people to hang out with. Lastly, enjoy these four years because it is a completely unique experience unlike anything else.

Kelley

I would Tell my self not to stress out as much as I did. I was really worried about balancing track and school. I would also tell myself to have more fun. You only have 4 years of college and even though I was busy, I could have had more movie nights or more times where I hung out with my friends. I would also tell myslef to get involved with a few more things on campus. Valparaiso University is a small campus so it is really easy to get to know everyone and I feel like if I got involeved with more things I would have meet a lot more new people.

I would give myself the advice to always plan ahead, to start homework early, and to get on a regular sleeping schedule. I would advise myself to read all the books too. I would tell myself that your beliefs will be challenged, but you need to stand strong in your beliefs (as not to change), but to have an open mind for those who have different beliefs than you. I feel that I made this transition into being more open-minded my freshman year of college. I would give myself the advice to not pick a roommate when I went to summer orientation, or if I did, to make sure to fill out the roommate agreement when getting on campus.

There is nothing that would have made me change my mind about my chosen university. There is some advice that I would give myself about making the transition though. I think that if I could go back in time I would make sure to try and develop myself as person who can get by with solely relying on myself; at college you won't necessarily have your high school friends with you, in my case I didn't, and you don't have your parents either. In college you have to learn how to get by without a lot of direct support from others at certain times. I personally was not a person who did overnight camps, and I think that the experience of overnight camps would give someone a taste of the college life in the sense of independence. I would also tell myself that I had truly never experienced studying hard for a test in high school; the amount of time that a student needs to put into their school work compared to high school is unbelievably more. The biggest adjustment for me was the amount of time and independence that I had.

Adrieanna

I've always worked full time during high school, and throughout the summer; it was the mark to show I was great at multitasking. I kept great grades, maintained the honor roll, and did well on SAT, ACT, and all other major tests during that year. Yet, I would always make myself aware the workload is different, as well as expectations and approach. I've always been an independent worker, but it is different when you don't have that constant reminder or buffer in the case YOU JUST FORGOT or you JUST DIDN'T HAVE TIME. I hardly got sick, but when I did it was a luxury. Now...it's more of a hassel. I would tell ANYONE to make sure they are prioritizing and know where their time is going.

Lucas

Don't stress out over the little things. Not everything is going to be perfect or go your way, so you have to accept that. Just remember that with a good attitude and hard work, you can do anything that you put your mind to. Stay focused and never give up on your goals!

Start everything early! Look for scholarships and other financial aid early on so that you know that you can pay for school and so that payments on tuition do not prevent you from registering for classes later on. Make freinds right away. If you are social the first few weeks it will be easier to be social later, and by then you will already have friends. Under no circumstances should you procrastinate on end-of-term projects and papers. When they are initially assigned, start them. Work on them a little bit each day so that they do not overwhelm you right before finals, because that is the worst. The longer you wait to do anything, the harder it becomes to do, and the worse the consequences will be. A jump start is the surest way to a life with minimal amounts of stress. Allowed to run rampant, stress will quickly become debilitating. The more you can minimize your stress the happier and more productive you will be.

Alana

I would tell myself to look past the fact that it is the last year of high school and to stay focused. Senior year is the big beginning focus point for colleges and senior classes can't just be pushed aside as an afterthought. I would also tell myself to start looking at colleges earlier. I lucked out with how great my college is, but I would tell myself to look at the best colleges I could. I would search for colleges that have a field that sounded interesting to me, because without classes that interest you, there isn't motivation. I would also push myself to apply for as many scholarships that applied to me. I ended up applying at the last minute, and I needed as much financial aid as I could receive. I would make myself realize that just because you put it off, that doesn't mean that every thing will end up working intself out without help. Mostly I would tell myself to stay focused but not to worry so much, otherwise you can get lost in all the little factors.

College is a great opportunity to meet people, try different things, and grow as a person socially and intellectually, but it's easy to get lost and mixed up amidst the pressures of new ideas, environments, and social groups. In college, people from all over the country are thrown together, and every single person brings a unique perspective to the table. Well-informed, accomplished, and philosophical professors also bring fresh, controversial ideas to light. In the thick of all these new influences it's essential to step back and evaluate each one. Pat Tillman once said, "You should question it all, take what makes sense, and throw away the rest." Such an attitude is a necessity in college. Rather than simply accepting new concepts and beliefs, one should challenge and examine them in accordance with prior values and convictions that have led to success. In conclusion, to sum it all up, I say to my high school self, "Be open and to the ideas, thoughts, and influence of others, but never lose sight of the person that got you to where you are today."

Kirsten

If I went back in time and knew what I know now, I would advise myself not to room with my current roomate. I would advise myself to hold off on taking spanish first semester because it's clear I needed time to brush up. The most important thing I would advise is to enjoy the time I have before I start college, and sign loans, and pack away my childhood to start my young adulthood. College has been a great experience so far, and I have high hopes that it will only get better. I will cling to these next 3 1/2 years because my time will be up soon, and I will start a whole new journey in life.

Connie

I actually never made it to my senior year in High School. If I could go back to my sophmore year, I would tell myself that even though I was a young mother, I could finish High School with honors and get into a very nice college.

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and get a job. I am constantly worried about my expenses and whether or not I will be able to pay everything off.

This time of the year (early October) I have found myself thinking a lot about where I was just a year ago. I was frantically trying to fit myself into a hundred different scenarios at all of the top tier schools in the country. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that everything really does work out. In the end, it does not matter the "brand name" of your school, it matters if your school gets you. Yes, a lot of college is what you make it, but in the end you want a school that understands you as a student and offers opportunities for bettering yourself intellectually and as a global citizen. Well, it turns out that that's what colleges are all about! They have to "get" you AND your polar opposite that lives accross the hall. I like to tell my friends in the throws of the application process that although it may seem impersonal now, colleges devote massive amounts of time and energy into understanding you as a person, not just as a student. Remember that when you are accepted you really are more than a common app ID number.

After living the college life for just three semesters, there is endless advice I would give myself as a high school senior if I could go back in time. However, my advice could be categorized into two key aspects; organization and setting goals. Adjusting to college life would not have been possible for me if not for careful planning. The key to managing any busy schedule is organization. The same concept applies to college and everything that comes along with it. I would tell myself that I would be faced with countless assignments, events, social gatherings, and numerous other obligations that all require time and effort. Organization is a powerful tool to ensure that every requirement is appropriately dealt with. However, organization is redundant if there is a lack of direction and purpose. Goal setting illustrates exactly what should be accomplished by a set time. Goals need organization in order to be executed properly, and organization depends on goals to produce a map to success. Setting goals and committing to organization are co-dependent upon each other.The transition to college life can be challenging, but with the right step forward, it can be an extremely successful experience.

Teryn

If I went back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to allow worrying and stress to hinder my actions. Even when a choice seems impossible, such as choosing a college, I've realized that everything always seems to work out alright. No matter where you go to school you will have likes and dislikes. The challenge is to not let such petty things and worries inhibit you from making your college experience your own. Stressing and worrying only impede your ability to perform, and often times make you less productive. However, if you are not overcome by stress and worry, you can actively pursue a solution to your problems, and ultimately become a better person from it.

My college experience has helped me gain independence and the interpersonal communication skills necessary to be successful in my career. College not only teaches you the academic knowledge necessary to flourish, but helps you become a well rounded individual who is able to make connections between multiple disciplines and analyze varying situations. In today’s ever changing world it is even more crucial to be able to take meaning for everything you learn and apply that knowledge to situations as they arise. College has helped me be flexible in my career, and see many areas where my expertise can be useful for the betterment of a project. I feel strongly that education will help me further my career by giving me options for advancement. With knowledge comes opportunity, which is why I am pursuing my masters degree to progress my career. An advanced degree will enable me to have an even broader depth of knowledge with which to draw upon. College is vital to survival in a competitive market and will prove one of the most valuable assets I possess

Wyatt

The first thing I have gotten out of my college experience was learning that it is sometimes quite difficult to discover what you want for your life. When I first came to Valparaiso University as a freshman, I thought I desired to become a civil engineer one day; however, that turned out not to be the case at all several semesters down the road when I happily decided to change to my current majors of Mathematics and Chinese Japanese Studies. I learned that sometimes you have to dig deeper within yourself in order to answer the big questions of who you are and what you want from your life. The one, other big thing I learned from my college experience thus far is that I have to work extremely hard when pursuing the things I desire for the future. For example, I had to file and work through a ton of paperwork in order to obtain the chance to study abroad in Japan this Spring semester. However, that patience and determination to get all of that completed allowed me the rare opportunity to do just that. These lessons and others that I have learned make my college experience worthwhile.

dyesha

By attending my 2 year community college I have experience some of the best professors, who are loving and caring and also who wants to see their students succeed in the future. I always thought it would be different from a university because we don't have as many sports as a university but yet we still have different organizations for students to understand others and also become as one. Eventhough, I couldn't afford to go to the university of my dreams I knew I had to continue my education for my family and I. So I just have to thank Guilford Community College for working with me and letting me know no matter what I go through I can and will better my future. No matter how hard I may still struggle to pay my tutition I'm going to still press hard to finish my education. This college experience have been the best decision for me so far, letting me be able to explore life but not letting me forget what I want in life and what I will do to make sure my future and goals are met. So never judge a book by its cover.

Corey

Before I ever stepped foot on to a College campus, I was repeatedly told that this experience will be the best experience you will ever have. Of course, myself being 19 years of age thought they had no idea what they were talking about. Now I sit here about to embark on another adventure into Graduate school. It makes me look back and say they were right. I thought they meant that it was all about the education but now I see they mean the whole experience. The education, friends, activities, and fun. They mold you into who you are today. I thank Valparaiso University for everything they have given me. Not just for the amazing education but for all the cultural experiences, professors, and friends that I have now. It was the best 4 years of my life and I would do it all over again if I had the chance. It is not all about the education for a school. It is what they offer in activities and faculty that truly make this an amazing adventure for you to learn who you truly are. That is what they gave me and I thank them.

scott

I feel as if though it is a once in a life time experiance, all which benefits you in the end. i love meeting new people and learning a trade that has always interested me. i am much happier know that i've applied myself and i am using my full potential in my life and job, i think of what great things i've achieved through my life and all of which pertain to my college education.

Brad

Immediatly into coming to college I had submitted my resume to the school for a technical theatre position. Five minutes after I layed down the precious document the professor rushed out and called me into his office. Richard Harmon had noticed that I had extensive knowledge in DMX, and he just purchased a wireless DMX system and needed someone to figure out how to operate it. DMX is a control for intelligent lighting. Since I taught him how to operate and control this new system, he made me Master Electrician. The experiance of being a leader in a professional enviornment has been astounding. The professors let a freshmen teach the entire department how to utilize and control the new growing technology. Both staff and student alike were receptive of having a new guy come in and teach them in deepth skills on the art.

Kay

This college experience has allowed me to interact with people of all ages, fresh from highschool, mothers, fathers, grand parents, and people who are just going back to school to further thier education. By interacting with all of this people, my decision to become a kindergarten teacher has been reinforced. I know, without a doubt, that I want to make a difference in young children's lives, and I also know, that I hate getting up infront of a group of people unless they are 5 or 6. I have also learned the necessary skills to be a great college student. This experience has been very valuable and I would recommend enrolling in a 2 year community college and transfering to a 4 year university, wich I plan to do.

Kat

It's helping me take my hand drawn artistic skills and transfering them to computer based skills

Brandie

My college experience has been a fun one. At Valparaiso University all freshman students are required to take what we call a CORE class. It is in this class that has helped me to adjust the most. The CORE class has been extremely valuable because it is based off of discussion. Here the students lead the class and we are able to talk about anything. I have been able to met other freshman who are experienceing the same things that I am: the stress of being at a new school, making new friends, and working a part-time job. I am extremely grateful that I have been able to continue my education by attending college. I value my education very much. I am currently working towards a double major in Psychology and Elementary Education with a minor in Special Education. The value that I place on my education will someday help me help younger students to put the same emphisis on their education.

“De reir a cheile a thogtar na caisleain” is Irish for “It takes time to build castles” which is one important thing I will take away from my education. I value the wisdom I’ve acquired by listening to professors, and having conversations with them, over any of the knowledge I’ve gained. Knowledge is important, but it’s the life lessons I’ve learned that I will take with me and apply to every aspect of my life. The Irish saying is just one lesson. It means to be patient, to work at a steady pace, never give up, and in time you’ll have something magnificent that you’ve created. It’s the same with anything in life – be patient, work at a steady pace, don’t give up and you’ll have something to be proud of. Without the valuable life lessons I’ve learned while in university I wouldn’t have a pointed direction or constant encouragement of what to do with my life. Even as the knowledge I learned in university fades, the life lessons will still be with me, much like the castle that took patience, and time to build.

I have learned a lot about my intended career, even in the small amount of time I have been here, less than a semester. I have also learned how to manage my time better than I have in the past.

Pamela

A sense of community and of values, the ability to be independent and the knowledge that I'll need to be able to handle myself in society. It's only been a few months, but I believe that I've grown up a lot. The whole college experience has been amazing and has affected my entire life and my outlook on the world. Before coming here, I felt like just a kid, about to be thrown out into the real world with no knowledge of the way things work, but college has already provided me with some insight into the world and how I should handle myself in it. College is a vital step in transitioning from high school kid to full grown adult and functioning, helpful member of society.

Calin

After being at Valparaiso University for a semester and a half, I have learned more about not only my area of study, but also about myself. I have learned how to study and how to succeed in college. I have learned to love the subjects that teach me the important things I need to know for the profession that I want to pursue. I joined clubs, participated in intramurals, and even joined a sorority! Besides all of these accomplishments, I also learned how to be out on my own in the world and to have confidence in myself. I look at myself now and I do not even see the girl I was less than seven months ago! The experiences I have had for my first few semesters at VU are unique to only VU; my university taught me so many things that another school would not. I grew up and I have learned so many things about the world around me and myself.

College. Many believe that college is a time to party it up and do what ever one wants because there are no parents around to tell you no. It's not. College is a time of growth and experience. A time of multitasking at its finest. My time so far in college has been a growing experience from immature child to a mature lady. I've learned to balance my time between class, homework, research, partying, and work. College is not as the movie portrays it to be. It is the complete opposite. You have responsibilities and priorities. There are also consequences to ill thought out ideas. The one thing I will take from this experience is if you want something done, do it yourself.

Anastacia

My college experience has taught me many things about myself and about the future me I will become. I am having the time of my life and I am very involved here on campus. Nothing will ever replace my times here. Going to college is valuable for more than just an education. You really grow as a person and learn so much about yourself you never know you could. You also learn skills on how to better associate with other people and how to act professionally. I have learned so much in my freshman year alone that I can only imagine what else I will learn in my college experience. Nothing will ever replace the things I learn here or the times I share with everyone around me. The relationships made in college stick with you for the rest of your life and the education is looked at strongly. If I had not gone to college, I would be so limited as to what I could do with my life and I would not have learned how to be with others or be an independent individual.

Nathalie

The transition to my college life was not an easy task. Nevertheless, I did confront it knowing that this transition was for my own good. I have always known that college is my to becoming successful in life. There are hardly any well paying jobs in todays society where only a high school diploma is accepted. Yet, this was my first time moving away from my home in order to live in a completly different environment with a different group of people. Now that I look back to when I started this journey, I realize the mistake I made. Thus, if I were to return to my senior year in high school, the advice I would give myself is to relax and not be afraid of change.

I would tell myself to not be so afraid. The transition was relatively smooth for me and I fit in well here at Valparaiso. However, I would tell myself not to be afraid to try to make friends and talk to more people. I did not really have too much trouble making friends, but I do not really talk to anyone outside of that group. While this is not too much of a problem for me given my personality, I feel I could be having a better time if I knew more people as friends. Also, I would tell myself to get involved more in campus activities. This is a good way to get key life experience and is something I feel I have not done well thus far in my college life.

I would tell myself to keep having fun and not worry so much about what other people think about you. In high school I was involved in every possible activity, and I was constantly trying to please people. When searching for a college to attend, I was trying to find one that pleased both my parents and myself. Luckly, the one I chose happened to be perfect for both of us. To return to my point of constantly trying to please people, I would tell my past self that it doesn't matter how my senior prom looks because after it is done, it will be in the past and it won't matter anymore. That is true about everything that I tried to make perfect. Also, I would inform myself that at college people don't care about who you were friends with in high school or how involved you were. I know this sounds cliche, but it is true, and it won't make sense until you actually experience it. The main point of my talk would be to just have fun and enjoy all my high school friends.

Kelsi

I would tell myself as a high school senior to be prepared to study hard and learn more in the next two years than you could possibly imagine. The amount of growth you experience within your first year in a nursing program is tremendous. Ivy Tech Community College will be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Look into the vocational that allows you to take college courses while in college or just take night class or courses on the weekends, this would definitely help jump start your freshman year of college as well as taking less time to get into the nurisng program. Don't be surprised that you will be one of the youngest people in the nursing program, it is a compliment, and you worked hard to get there. Don't be afraid to believe in yourself, you will be a competent nurse, and Ivy Tech Community College will make sure of that.

Get involved in clubs and activities right away. It's a great way to meet people. Take advantage of every academic and extracurricular opportunity to enhance your resume and/or build your portfolio. Don't be afraid to ask your professors questions or make an appointment to see them. Never miss a class. Participate in class. Take advantage of all extra credit opportunities.

Kathleen, looking back on my life as a high school senior I would have always thought it was so hard just to graduate and move on in life. After graduating I have come to relize that my thoughts were right trying to finish high school was a struggle but I have succeeded and proven everyone wrong. I have graduated early and i have accomplished my high school goals. Now as i enter the real world where "who you hung out with or what high school team you were on" does not matter , what matters now is Where are you going in life?, What are you going to do?, Have you applied to colleges yet?. My advice would be "Do what you are passionate about", do not listen to other in telling you what do. It is your life and you are the one that has to live with your occupation and deal with the choices you make and learn from your mistakes as they come at you. Also i would tell myself that the would is at my finger tips and i have my whole life a head of me to figure out what is right for me to do

I would tell myself that college does not come easy. It requires hours of hard work and dedication in order to be successful.

Gabriela

The first thing I would do different starts at the very beginning, before even choosing a college or university and completing the extensive application process. Now that I am fully aware of how much of an effect SAT and ACT scores have on one's qualification for certain universities, I would definitely try my absolute hardest to get a good score and not brush off the exam as if it were insignificant. I would have also started looking into universities my junior year of high school so that I would be aware of the aplication deadlines and the requirements needed in order to be accepted into my prefered school. I found myself completing everything last minute when I was applying for college, so that is also something I would encourage prospective college students to do. Stay on top of your applications, deadlines, and scholarship information so that you are the one choosing the University you want to attend, not just winding up "stuck" at one.

One of the first things that I would tell myself would be to break out of my shell early. College is a place to define yourself. You should become more open and outspoken. No more sitting aside and being a wallflower. I would tell myself to be talkative and outgoing early in college rather than waiting towards the end. Another bit of advice that I would tell myself would be to keep working hard and not slacking off. There are a lot of distractions in college that weren't around in high school and one needs to learn to keep them in check. As the tough classes start to come during sophomore year, you need to stay focused and keep your grades up. There is always time for fun, but only when work is done. The most important thing that I would tell myself would be to join Phi Kappa Psi. It was one of the best decisions in my life because I've made so many friends that I will keep forever. These friends will become a great group to help support you throughout college and even after. Phi Psi will give you the best memories of your life.