Vanderbilt University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

James

White, preppy frat stars. No diversity. While some students fit this bill, the school is much more diverse than people recognize and continuously has become more and more diverse. Sperry's are prevalent, especially at the frats, but Vandy really isn't that preppy. You can wear what you want, nobody cares, and preppy clothes is not the majority. We certainly have diversity, and the school is not very southern like some people assume. More southern than Duke, though.

Ian

a

Tim

The academics are rigorous and the social life is active. Academic competition between students is not comparable to that of the Ivy League Schools. The price tag attached to Vanderbilt creates a student body that is skewed towards wealth; however, there are a significant amount of students that attend Vandy on financial aid. There is definitely a significant Greek presence (33{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of male students, 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of female students); however, it is definitely possible to have an active social life without becoming Greek.

Tim

The academics are rigorous and the social life is active. There is a high level of intensity among the student body; however, academic competition between students is not comparable to that of the Ivy League Schools. The price tag attached to Vanderbilt creates a student body that is skewed towards wealth; however, there are a significant amount of students that attend Vandy on financial aid. There is definitely a significant Greek presence (33{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of male students, 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of female students); however, it is definitely possible to have an active social life without becoming Greek.

Tim

Generally, Vanderbilt students are known to embody the "Work Hard, Play Hard" mentality. There is most definitely truth to this stereotype. The academics are rigorous and the social life is active. There is a high level of intensity among the student body; however, academic competition between students is not comparable to that of the Ivy League Schools. Additionally, students are commonly thought of as wealthy and somewhat elitist. There is some accuracy to this stereotype. The price tag attached to Vanderbilt creates a student body that is skewed towards wealth; however, there are a significant amount of students that attend Vandy on financial aid. There is definitely a significant Greek presence (33{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of male students, 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of female students); however, it is definitely possible to have an active social life without becoming Greek.

Jacqueline

Two of the most common Vanderbilt stereotypes are of the "typical" frat boy and Vandy sorority girl. Despite the prevalence of Greek life on campus (although less than 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the population is Greek), I do not believe these stereotypes are accurate. One of the greatest aspects of Vanderbilt students is their ability to live balanced lives. The same students you see out on a Saturday night will be seen in the library studying all day Sunday. It is very common for students to be involved in multiple clubs, be taking a difficult course load, and also attend football games and parties on the weekend. "Work hard, play hard" is a motto that rings true at Vanderbilt.

Megan

The most common stereotype of students at Vanderbilt University is that we are preppy Southerners who like to party. This stereotype is based on a misconception that Vandy is populated by affluent Southerners with limited socioeconomic and racial diversity. In addition, while Vanderbilt is known for being an excellent school, it is also known for having a wilder social scene than comparable universities. Because of our large bar scene and dozens of Greek organizations, we have a reputation for going out and having a good time. This stereotype is accurate to an extent. Vanderbilt does have a larger proportion of students from the South than you would see at another top tier university, but they make up only about 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body. When I arrived at Vanderbilt, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of diversity on campus. Students come from all types of backgrounds and regions of the country. The stereotype is more accurate in regards to social life at Vandy. Vanderbilt does have an exciting party scene. Students love to go out and have a good time, and we are fortunate that Nashville offers so many opportunities for fun.

Megan

Angela

Vanderbilt prides itself on being a diverse University and for the most part, it is just that. There are a wide array of students from all over the country. You are emersed in the classroom with other students that provide many different culture outlooks different than your own. It not only helps broaded your scope of cultures, but also allows you to have very educated classrooms discussions with such different backgrounds across the board.

Patrick

Vanderbilt is one of the most expensive universities in America, so expect to meet some very wealthy kids who dress and act the part. However, due to Vanderbilt's incredible financial aid program, you also find people who are very down-to-earth from middle class families. You won't find them at the frats and it will take some looking, but you can find all kinds of people, not just the rich ones.

David

The stereotype of Vanderbilt University is that everyone here is rich and that Greek life runs rampant. I would argue that there are many, many people from well-off families and that Greek life is quite popular, but there are regular folks and thousands of non-Greeks as well. Enjoy wearing short shorts and Sperries!

Ian

I know Vanderbilt is know for being a very preppy school, especially with its large Greek life and great academics. While everyone you meet will certainly be very intelligent in a broad range, the same will not be true for the preppy stereotype. of course, there will be many students you meet who excellently fulfill this generalization, the incredibly broad range of students that come here will guarantee that whatever your niche is, you will be able to find it at Vanderbilt.