Chicago, IL
VanderCook College of Music

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend VanderCook College of Music

Haley

VanderCook College of Music is the only school in the country that is entirely based on a single major: Music Education. It’s a small school and all of the students are close with their professors on a name to name basis. Professors are always available and easy to help students in need. The school is filled with talented, music loving students. It’s like a second family.

Zoe

VanderCook College of Music is incredibly demanding. It can be stressful, but they are preparing students for the long hours of being a music educator. The credit hours can be excessive, but students have to keep in mind that VanderCook College of Music does squish a five year degree into a four year degree. They want to get students into the real world of education as soon as possible. Finishing the degree in four years rather than five years doesn't mean they are neglecting some parts of the degree program, though. VanderCook students will actually have more experience and classes that relate to being an educator over most 5 year programs. VanderCook also has very very small class sizes. Each and every student gets individual attention and instructors are very easy to contact at any time of day for extra help. The fact that VanderCook is strictly for music educators means that students are not mixed in with other music majors. The minute they walk into the school, they are not music majors, they are future music educators. I have visited and even attended other schools, and VanderCook is the only one that feels like home. For such a small school, they are very involved. They have tons of extracurricular groups and even greek life. Students may also join Illinois Institute of Technology organizations if they please. For a school with such a small population, it has a great reputation, world renowned performers for instructors, and is known all over the world. VanderCook students always leave a good impression on the music world.

Rosalind-Denise

IWhat I have gotten out of my college experience so far is the opportunity to see what growing up really means. Also I've been able to get use to talking more often to people who are very different in personalities even though our love for music is the same. Being in high school band and orchestra programs, you usually find yourself mixed in with kids who are here for love and those who are in it for the "easy A", this is why I love VanderCook College of Music.

The fact that there are only musicians here. Musicians are wierd people so being able to be around otheres like you is enocouraging as well as challenging; two things that I really appreciate.

One whose love for music does not completely ovetake them. If you aren't willing to commit yourself totally then you shouldn't come here.

Tim

My school is great in that i know that I will have the skills to succeed.

My school is great in that i know that I will have the skills to succeed.

I have felt that the clases are very well thought out and they provide a level of commitment that is needed to see it through and to succeed. The professors are very interested in what you are doing in the class and they help you to want to succeed and to be the best that you can be. I have learned that even when things get tough that I have gained the ability to go above and beyond what I think I am capable of doing. I have been able to achieve grades that are worthy to be on the Dean's list and have felt that this is a great accomplishment. Devry University sets itself apart in that you feel prepared to go out in to the job market and to excell in your chosen profession. In these uncertain times it is refreshing to see a University that is committed to excellance and in providing a great education that is needed in today's job market. They give you every opportunity to achieve every goal that you set out to achieve in your acedemic career.

At times there is really no one to guide you through the maze of paper work and in getting scholarships. When you start out you have a track coach but then after awhile that goes by the wayside and then you feel lost at times,

Chad

VanderCook is a 4-year vocational school for music educators that has no equal within the United States.

Teacher to student ration, resources, location, and historical tradition.

My college experience taught me the value of not just education, but of building lifelong relationships with the teachers and the other students with whom I attended.

Christine

My classmates at VanderCook are very unique with their music and their social life because everyone is so universal to on another.

VanderCook College of Music is know for the ability to have the students learn 18 instruments and be in ever group possible. The students are musicians. We do everything that musicians can do. I am a saxophone major, but I also sing and play other instruments because of VanderCook College of Music.

I would tell myself not to take this personal. It isn't personal until you take it personal. No one is out in the world to get at you or hurt you. Some people just don't know how to react towards people. There is also a limit on how much fun you can have. Don't do something that your friends are doing just because you want to look cool just like them. I would also tell myself to live life like it is my last, but know my limits at the same time. You don't need to party every day and night just to get friends. Your true friends will always be there and your other friends will frown on you. The true friends are the ones you always want to be near. Find an upperclassmen and get everything they know out of them. They are the ones that are going to make sure you are fine and that you don't do stupid things. At VanderCook, it is all about who can help you the most and who doesn't really know what to say when it comes to helping people.

Cassandra

The student body functions almost like a family. When classes get stressful, someone will make the effort to help you get things done and/or just relax. Everyone is working towards the same degree, so everyone knows what everyone is experiencing.

The most stressful aspect of college has not been the curriculum, but the financial burden. I worked many hours while attending high school and I simply spent almost everything I earned. If I could give myself a piece of advice my senior year of high school, it would be to save up as much money as possible. Not needing to worry about money makes one's academic life and social life much more manageable and enjoyable. I made sure to make the most out of my years in high school, but because I did not think to save more money, it has become difficult to take full advantage of my time in college. Without the stress of not knowing whether I would be able to afford my books, or even pay rent for the entire semester, I would be able to focus more on my classes to reach my full learning potential, as well as enjoy more free time to socialize and grow as a person. After all, that is what college is about.

The professors at VanderCook are phenominal and becuase the class sizes are so small, they are always willing to help you with anything.

VanderCook College of Music administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.