VanderCook College of Music Top Questions

Rosalind-Denise

IWhat I have gotten out of my college experience so far is the opportunity to see what growing up really means. Also I've been able to get use to talking more often to people who are very different in personalities even though our love for music is the same. Being in high school band and orchestra programs, you usually find yourself mixed in with kids who are here for love and those who are in it for the "easy A", this is why I love VanderCook College of Music.

Tim

I have felt that the clases are very well thought out and they provide a level of commitment that is needed to see it through and to succeed. The professors are very interested in what you are doing in the class and they help you to want to succeed and to be the best that you can be. I have learned that even when things get tough that I have gained the ability to go above and beyond what I think I am capable of doing. I have been able to achieve grades that are worthy to be on the Dean's list and have felt that this is a great accomplishment. Devry University sets itself apart in that you feel prepared to go out in to the job market and to excell in your chosen profession. In these uncertain times it is refreshing to see a University that is committed to excellance and in providing a great education that is needed in today's job market. They give you every opportunity to achieve every goal that you set out to achieve in your acedemic career.

Chad

My college experience taught me the value of not just education, but of building lifelong relationships with the teachers and the other students with whom I attended.

Christine

I would tell myself not to take this personal. It isn't personal until you take it personal. No one is out in the world to get at you or hurt you. Some people just don't know how to react towards people. There is also a limit on how much fun you can have. Don't do something that your friends are doing just because you want to look cool just like them. I would also tell myself to live life like it is my last, but know my limits at the same time. You don't need to party every day and night just to get friends. Your true friends will always be there and your other friends will frown on you. The true friends are the ones you always want to be near. Find an upperclassmen and get everything they know out of them. They are the ones that are going to make sure you are fine and that you don't do stupid things. At VanderCook, it is all about who can help you the most and who doesn't really know what to say when it comes to helping people.

Cassandra

The most stressful aspect of college has not been the curriculum, but the financial burden. I worked many hours while attending high school and I simply spent almost everything I earned. If I could give myself a piece of advice my senior year of high school, it would be to save up as much money as possible. Not needing to worry about money makes one's academic life and social life much more manageable and enjoyable. I made sure to make the most out of my years in high school, but because I did not think to save more money, it has become difficult to take full advantage of my time in college. Without the stress of not knowing whether I would be able to afford my books, or even pay rent for the entire semester, I would be able to focus more on my classes to reach my full learning potential, as well as enjoy more free time to socialize and grow as a person. After all, that is what college is about.