Costa Mesa, CA
Vanguard University of Southern California

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Vanguard University of Southern California

Khrisa

If I could go back and speak to my younger self, I would say "Khrisa, you do not need to worry about college. As long as you apply yourself, you will do fine." Coming into college I was worried about everything: how to pay for school, how hard my classes would be, if I would get lost on campus, and if I was going to be able to make new friends. About two months into school I realized that most of these fears were not necessary; classes are an easy transition from high school, my campus isn't as large as it first seemed, and I had friends within my first hour of being on campus. If I knew then what I know now, I would've been able to better enjoy myself instead of overwhelming myself with those unneeded concerns.

andy

Being very laid back and a "beachy" styled school.

Being very laid back and a "beachy" styled school.

I would tell anyone as well as myself to look more at the little things in chosing a College, like the food, lifestyle, living conditions, and such. Noticing the smaller things and being able to like them will make your experience at college much more enjoyable.

Meagan

My classmates are fun, loving, supportive, and friendly.

My classmates are fun, loving, supportive, and friendly.

Our school is best known for out athletics (basketball and soccer, mostly), being a Christian university, and outreach to the community and to other countries.

I would tell myself to start studying early on in the year. I would also tell myself to take more AP classes or college classes at a community college, if nothing else but to get acclamated to the subject. I wish that I had had more confidence in taking harder classes. The rigor of study needed for different majors varies greatly but it all depends on what you want to do and what you enjoy. For example, if you want to go to medical school, you can be whatever major you want. You don't have to be a science major, you just have to take a few science classes to take the MCAT (like the SAT's for medical school). Also, I would tell myself that it isn't as scary as it sounds. Most schools help their students transition a lot. They would never leave a student behind. Everything is new but it will be routine eventually and you'll wonder why you worried.

Sara

College is a major transition for a young adult. Moving into my dorm in which I knew no one was both an exciting and frightening experience. Now that I have gone through the process, I would go back in time and tell myself not to worry so much about it. Although it seemed like everyone is making friends quickly and getting along, I now know that better friends come with time. I would tell myself to be open to other people and get to know everyone because you never know who might end up a friend for life.

The small science labs do not focus strongly on research.

Laura

If I could go back into time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing how college life is I would have told myself to try harder. Knowing now that I need a lot of discipline with time, money, and homework I would have started preparing myself. I would also tell myself that I need to have a contact with my college and see all the requirements I needed. In this case I wouldn't stress out so much about the paper work. Most importantly I would tell myself not to leave anything last minute.

Any type of person should attend this school it has great professors the education is great.

Salvador

I would tell myself not to wait five years to attend college. Do not be afraid, you will enjoy everything. Just take the leap and go for it. I would also tell myself to have the experiance of your last highschool year in public school. You must way to much not being involved in the regular school. Also keep track of your grades because you will need them for scholarship money.

A person willing to have an open mind but also willing to have God work in their life.

The Cafe meal plan, it should have the cost of meals transfer to outtakes. If you don't use your meals you lose them. And it is not written correctly about how outtakes works.

My classmates are friendly and inviting.

Don't worry too much the right doors will open up. Relax enjoy high school it will soon be over. Learn as much as you can and be ready for a new adventure in college.

Heather

Get involved on campus! Go to all new student activities and hang out with a variety of different people to make friends. However, set aside ample time to study. Take professors advice and study the suggested amount! It's easy to get lost in all the social activities and stay up late with your new friends while living on campus, but don't forget about the real reason you're there: academics! Friends and involvements make your time more memorable and significant, but a better education for a career is your goal. Don't waste you or your parents money, make achievable goals for yourself. In college, people are much more willing to hear your story, your point of view, it doesn't matter so much any more your "stereotype" such as geek, jock, cheerleader, band member, etc. Therefore listen to others and formulate your own individual opinions, participate in group discussions. In addition, working on campus has been a great experience. You get to know a lot of new faces, as well as have an opportunity to be an on-campus leader. College gives you a time to step out as individual, so take advantage of it!

Although we have an excellent athletic program and great school spirit, our athletic venues are lacking due to available funds. Some teams have to go off campus for practice and our gym is really small.

Itzel

Do not be afraid to try new things and know new people. Through these people you will learn many things, and experience experiences that you will never forget. Take a chance and make life time friends, don't fear what they might think of you, just keep on keeping on. Remember what your mother has always told you, "honey you know that if someone else can do it, so can you. Go and do it!" Be an over achiever, don't be satisfied with the grade you got, always look for ways to get a better grade and opinions. Look for a university/college that you will feel comfortable in, one that fulfills your expectations and one that has a good program for your major. Never give up, always ask for help when you need it and don't be afraid to do so. Do your best and the outcome will be your best. Remember your mothers words, and keep on keeping on never give, keep walking forward and learn from your mistakes but do not stay there, keep walking forward an learn. Have Fun!

A person who wants to learn and have access to diversity. People who would want a Christian orianted school.

The fact that Vanguard University is a Private Christian Univesity and that it has a small student body of 2,000 studenst.

What I love about Vanguard is how close everyone is. When I got here freshman year, everyone was SO accepting of me. Being somewhat of an outcast in junior high and high school, I was surprised how friendly people were. People will literally come up to you and introduce themselves if you're sitting alone at lunch- or even just in line for food at the caf. And EVERYONE holds the door open for you--even girls, which is really sweet. One time when I got my printer in the mail, I was struggling to carry it to my class, and someone that I didn't even know just offered to help me. Vanguard is really small though. If you mention that you go to Vanguard to people outside of Vanguard, they will typically never have heard about it, and you will have to explain that it is a small private school, and not a technical school or community college. The campus itself is extremely small, and if you don't have a car, it's easy to feel very closed off from the world (the 'Vanguard Bubble' as it is termed by students). I myself don't have a car, but I use my bike and the public transportation to get around as much as I can. Even then, I don't get off campus nearly as much as I'd like to. I am currently saving up for a car. :) I am also getting more involved in a nearby church (but not TOO nearby). On campus, I usually end up spending my time in my room or in my friends rooms, though I can often be found outside on a bench reading or doing homework, or in the Library. Most people hang out in the cove- which has a really nice coffee shop feeling to it. Vanguard administration and services have often been criticized as being inadequate. Just last year, there was a huge scandal about the school spending too much money which ended in a change of president, and budget cuts such as taking out the computer lab (which a lot of students are enraged about-and rightfully so) The financial aid office is known for being heartless and unhelpful, but they still manage to hand out really great financial aid packages. The cafeteria is also notorious for questionable food and service. However, they have made a huge effort to make it fairly healthy, and there are quite a bit of options. But if you are eating there for every meal it gets boring really fast. Breakfasts are the best because the cooks make a mean omelette. :) The school pride at Vanguard is almost non-existant. There is no football team and no cheerleading squad, and therefore no spirit whatsoever. No one except for athletes themselves ever dress up in school colors for anything, and there are no set spirit days.

The school is mainly white; the second largest group is probably Hispanics, then African Americans. Even though the school is located in Orange County, I am sad to report there is probably about 2 Asians on campus. There is almost no homosexual population at Vanguard-and those that ARE don't come out about it. Socio-economic backgrounds are very diverse. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Vanguard. Everyone is so accepting and friendly, as said earlier. Though there aren't many gay people, and it's technically against school code, people would still be loving towards you if you were. There's no judgement at all. This is not a "bible belt" sort of school. :) Almost everyone at Vanguard is from California, though there are some from various other places like Washington, Colorado, Arizona, and even as far as East Coast, as well as international students. Students are fairly politically aware and active, though not extremely. A majority of Vanguard students are very conservative, though there are quite a few liberals too. No I've never heard anyone talk about how much they'll earn one day.... that's just a really weird question...

Fun Facts: Vanguard Library rents out a large variety of free DVDs as well as VHSs. You get about $11 for printing money in the library computer lab OC Public Transportation System is really good, so if you know how to use them, the busses are a great way to get around Sadly, Miley Cyrus-Party in the USA can often be heard playing in the hallways Last year there was one day when it poured and the lawn in front of the Heath building flooded. Soon after, students could be found running and sliding on skim boards on the lawn. Last year at the Mr. VU competition, In the Cove was a favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5WJsNWpZ0 Campus security uses segweys haha You are practically quaranteed if Resident Life somehow finds out you're sick (because of the swine flu)--in fact, they've installed purrell dispensers at various locations throughout campus. Britney Spears was going to come to Vanguard, but she apparently couldn't get a room to herself so she ended up not coming.

Sadly, yes, for the most part. Even the girls that make fun of girls for being really boy crazy are extremely boy crazy themselves. 'Ring by spring' is the term used by students that means that girls always expect a ring by spring semester. This one is more of a rumor and less of a reality, thankfully for all you men out there. I'm not as sure about the sports teams, but I have heard a few people talking about going to a hookah bar. The baseball team has the WORST reputation for bad behavior. There ARE quite a few white people, but there's still quite a bit of diversity.

Vanguard academics are GREAT. Not only do we have wonderful acadmeics, but we also have a pretty light homework load--unless you're a biology major. A majority of students are religion majors but the theater and film majors are well known for their excellence. Most of the other majors are wonderful too though. The only programs that are less-than-adequate are the math majors and art minor. They're actually doing away with the math major soon. The art minor just started though, so it may improve in coming years. My major-business- is also a very good program, though so far there has been a lot of classes I haven't enjoyed a whole lot- namely computer applications and accounting, but they are still very helpful as far as job training goes. I am looking forward to higher level business courses :). By the way-the best business teacher I've had so far is Stachowiak-she's wonderful :) and now she's my academic advisor! :) Teachers at Vanguard are very accessible as well as helpful and understanding. The most well known and liked professors are Camery-Hoggatt, Roberson, Robinette, and Marley. At least those are the ones that come to mind right now. I have only met one professor so far that I really haven't liked-DON'T TAKE GAULT!! It seems like most students study alone, though depending on how hard the class is and what your major is, group studying will occur as well. Biology majors, for example, are often very connected, and are often found studying together in the hallways. There's quite a bit of class participation, depending on the class of course. Classes like sociology are obviously more hands on while some classes, like New Testament involve more listening than anything else-though all classes are equally enjoyable--except for a select few general ed. classes. I wouldn't say that many students have intellectual conversations outside of class. At least in my friend groups. Though I think religion majors do have quite a few deep spiritual conversations. I haven't yet taken any really unique classes, though I am planning on taking Human Sexuality soon. I will say that my favorite class so far has been New Testament because the teacher is AMAZING. I unfortunately haven't spent a lot of time outside of class with my professors, though I want to start doing that, and a lot of other students do it. Vanguard's academic requirements are fairly reasonable. There are ALOT of required religion classes, but it's not too bad, and the ones I've taken so far are enjoyable. In fact, if you take two extra religion classes, you can have a religion minor. I feel Vanguard has an equal balance between learning for learning's sake and job geared education.

If you want to get involved on campus, there are a lot of great ways. Though they are mandatory, chapels are wonderfully lead. There are a lot of wonderful Bible studies you can be involved in (especially freshman year) as well as a prayer group on Thursday nights. There are a lot of great clubs, though I know of few people who actual attend one. Some include Live2Free (women's rights/domestic violence issues), Mosaic (diversity), and SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise- a business/community service club). A campus favorite is Delivery Boys and Entourage- both comedy groups that travel to youth camps during the summer and act at events on campus during the school year. The only difference between the two is that Delivery Boys is a group of males, and Entourage is a group of females. Last but not least is the welcome group for freshman and transfers--frontline. Frontline is AMAZING! Frontline is how I met one of my best friends (and through her I met two of my other best friends). I also became very good friends with my frontline leaders. Frontline is a great way to break you into the Vanguard community and get you a little more comfortable. DON'T skip it if you end up coming to Vanguard. You WILL regret it. Atleast that's my opinion I'm not involved in any campus groups at this moment, though I am thinking of beginning a club soon. Whether doors are open or not depends on what dorms you live in. Huntington and Laguna (the towers) are very social and most everyone will have their doors open. The other dorms like Catalina are a little more lax so a lot of people shut their doors, though everyone is still super-sweet and friendly (I actually like Catalina more because of this- I'm a really chill person, so I like the relaxed feel here). Almost no one goes to athletic events. It's a sad truth. We have quite a few guest speakers in chapel, but not otherwise. We do have a theater, and the theater dept. puts on WONDERFUL plays. Not enough people go to them though. It's sad. Many of Vanguard's extracurriculars are under-represented. The dating scene is complicated. Most people are either at boyfriend/girlfriend status or single. Almost no one just dates around like normal people. Here's an interesting fact: the girl to boy ratio at vanguard is 3 to 1. So there are ALOT of single women. Vanguard has a lot of great events. Some are pretty lame, but a lot are really fun. GYRAD (stands for Get Your Roommate a Date) for example, is really fun as is HABU (Hook a Brother Up)--GYRAD for the dudes. Woofest and Mr. VU (contest) are also very entertaining and well known. Most of the people I know don't really party. There's a lot of people that go clubbing, though I don't know how wild it gets. Drinking is against school code though and most are pretty good about following that code. There are no fraternities or sororities. Most people are gone on the weekends so campus is pretty empty. If you are on campus on the weekends though, there's so much to do. Self Serve Frozen Yogurt places (FroYo) are very popular and there are SO many. If you have a Disneyland pass, Anaheim is only 20 minutes away. Newport beach is even closer, and very beautiful and relaxing. A lot of people hang out at target, which is kind of weird I suppose, but it can be fun if you go with the right people. Also nearby is Tewinkle park, the OC Fairgrounds, Woodbridge Dollar Theater, and South Coast Plaza (mall). Me and my friends have a lot of fun hanging out in the dorms, though, as well.

All the girls go there to get married. The sports teams do a lot of drugs and alchohol. It's really white.

Vanguard University of Southern California administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.