Ventura College Top Questions

Daniel

I would tell my highschool self to enjoy the moment as much as possible, thats one thing that I don't think that I did enough of. Enjoy the camaraderie of team mates and the fun time time that is highschool. I would also tell my self that preparation for college is of the utmost importance.

Sydney

If I could go back to my high school self there are some very important things I would tell myself. The most important thing I would tell myself is that I am going to fall, I am going to make big mistakes and I will survive them all. I will be better because of them. I would tell myself that it is ok to not understand everything right away, it doesn't make you less of a person. I would remind myself that a bad grade does not define your intelligence or you as a person. Lastly, I would tell myself that you will never be perfect and that is the best quality about yourself. No matter how hard it gets, you keep going.

gabriela

Don't wait about for others to do things for you. Go out and explore what is out there for you. Take advantage of the opportunities because there is a lot of others dying to have the chance you have to be in school.

Alexa

I no longer like referring to my last year of high school as,"Senior Year" as much as I prefer to call it,"Intro to Real Life". If I was standing face to face with myself at the beginning of my Intro to Real Life, I would tell her to hold on to goals instead of people, not give up highest desires for momentary happiness, and to apply all energy to working towards a successful future -instead of surrending to stress and settling for an average, comfortable present. I would insist that she is capable of exchanging hours spent dwelling on overwhelmingly long lists of tasks for actually completing each duty, because success in all facets of life is attainable with time management and self belief. Those heavy work loads and obligations to prioritize were only preparing me for right now. My transition to college has not been easy due to my track record of procrastination, pessimism, and low self esteem, but those are all things I'm overcoming because Real Life is a course that requires working ahead, optimism, and independance, and it's a course I'm determined to recieve an A in.

If I could talk to myself in high school I would highly advise myself to get a job as soon as poosible and to work on my study habits to find out what helps me learn as much as possible in as little amount of time as possible.

Dustin

I would tell my younger self to take alot more college credit courses in high school as they would be far more easier in high school than in college. I would also tell myself to enjoy the little things, moms home cooking, friends, family, and living at home where your familiar with everyone and everything. I would tell myself to slow down and enjoy life, stay up a little later and play a little harder. Working hard in your studies and athletics will take you far, and you will not always be able to put on those pads and play some football. Ultimately, i would have told myself to live life to the fullest with no regrets, don't put off until tomorrow what you could get done today. Lastly, don't take anything for granted, life may throw you curve balls but the main thing is you grit your teeth, crowd the plate, and swing the bat.

Alma

Stay focus in your goals, yet be flexible with them, be flexible to changes. Sometimes things do not go the way you planned them to be. It is not going to be an easy trip, but you should never give up your expectatives, fight for them because nobody can take them but you. It may not be the way you dreamed of but if success were easy to achieve everybody will succed. But only few people succed and it is on you to achieve it. But the most important thing is to enjoy. Enjoy every minute you spend in school, enjoy every new friend you make. Enjoy every homework, every test. Because when you enjoy it, the result is better than you imagined. So, go and fight for your goals and enjoy every task that life put on your way, because that will make a better you.

Nelly

Start college in the summer and take as much classes as I can.

Alea

If I were able to go back and talk to my high-school senior self, I would tell myself to slow down and enjoy your last year of high school. I would say "Alea, there is no turing back the clock, and you will never again get the chance to be a kid with the people you have come to love and cherish as your best friends". The most important and fleeting part of high school is the experience you walk away with-and a big part of the experience is the people with whom you share it. Now that I am looking back and reminicing- I realize that I didn't take advatage of the time I had with the people (and teachers) that have meant so much to my life. Now that my closest friends are scattered all about the country I want nothing more than to have them all back. "Time is fleeting and tomorrow is never guarunteed, so take every day for everything it has!" As cliche and cheesy as the future me may sound to the past me; I will understand and most definately listen!

Veronica

Simple! I would tell myself not to slack off. I thought that it didnt matter what I did because I was almost out of high school. I became lazy and I stopped trying. I would tell myself not to begin those habits of being lazy because they carry over into college, even if you don't want them too. College is way different, its tougher and most teachers expect more from you. College is like a bike, the training wheels are gone, and you have to learn to ride and try your hardest or you will fall.

Edgar

There are many things that i would tell myself if I could go back in time. First I would say to apply early with Ventura College and do my FASFSA ahead of time so that I could get financial aid right away and get my books early so I do not fall behind. Second would be to study very hard so that I could leave high scholl with better grades. Third would be to have a good time with my friend and not be so conservative with the way I acted. Fourth would be to stay after graduation and hang out with friends rather than running off to my family first cause they will always be their. Fith I would say to eat right rather than just relax and pig out. Sixth I would say to start reading ahead of the classes in college so that if I doo fall behind I will not fall as bad. seventh i would say to have a good time after studing and doing homework. These are the things that I would tell my self if I were able to go back to senior year, but now i am doing what i told myself.

Jasmine

I would give myself a lot of advice starting from getting good grades to staying in school. Getting good grades really helps you to get a lot of schollarships to help you pay for school. Staying in school aslo makes it easies for your future tp be easier and stress free.

Danielle

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college and college life I would tell myself to remember that college is there to better myself. I would say to not goof around and be serious because school benefits you when you apply for a job. It shows that you can start something and finish it. I would also tell myself not to overwork myself. Do not do more work then I can handle. Doing too much wears down your body. I would also tell myself to have some fun and to find the balance of working in school and having fun. Do not have too much fun that your grades suffer, but don't be too serious that your college experience is strict and boring.

Hayley

If I could go back to myself in high school I wouldn't change anything I've done other than to have better study habits. I have worked really hard to finish my AA in two years even after having a baby right after high school. I am determined to reach my goals and to get my degree, for me and for my son. I feel like I have done all that I can and I don't regret the way I did things and I have not slacked off. I would just tell high school me to keep up the good work and that everything is going to work out fine.

Briana

I would tell myself to try harder, and not drop any classes. I never can make up for lost time.

gabriela

the advise i will give my self is that i should take math and english instead of taking 6 period off.

phiyada

I am an Asian single mother of a 3 years old daughter. I came from Thailand Now in the US, I have no family here. My ex- husband who has an attorney degree, practices family law in CA. Who stopped working and got bankruptcy. He is stopped paying child support and moved out of the US over 2 years. I used to work at hospital as a housekeeper but I got an injury from working, I hurt my wrist and my shoulder. Because of my injury, I had physical therapy, received pain medication and was on ?light duty?. I was worry if I still keep continues work physical on my body I will be end up with surgery. So I quit my job and decided to go to school full time. English is not my first language. I don?t want to ask people to help me to read or spelling me English word forever. I love to get a better education and job to be able to support my daughter and make a better future for her. I would love to see myself one day as an independent women by earning a register nurse degree to fulfilling our future.

Autumn

Don't ever settle for what someone else wants you to do with your life, or for what other people consider to be a smart career decision. While it is important to consider what you will do as a career, and to make sure it's a way to make a living, it is even more important to ensure that you choose a path that will make you feel proud of yourself, and happy. Sometimes, what you choose to do may not be logical or make sense to other people, but in the end, it's your education, your career, and your life. If you spend it worrying about what other people think, and doing what other people want you to do, that's when you have become truly lost. So never lose your way. Your first instinct is right...go for it!

Probably the most important advice I would give myself would be to meet with councelors regularly. As the first person in my family to attend college I had to figure out everything on my own. It was stressful and confusing picking out classes and making sure I would meet all the general education requirements. As a sophomore I have already seen a councelor twice to make sure I did all I needed to for transfering. College councelors are very helpful and are a resource I wish I had taken advantage of more as a freshman so I wouldn't be scrambling around so much now to get all my finacial aid, class requirements, and application stuff completed correctly and on time. My first two years of college would have gone a lot smoother if I had known this earlier.