Vermont Technical College Top Questions

I honestly did not believe that I was going to be able to attend college due to my family's financial situation. My dad picked up a third job just so I could go to college. I truly appreciate the value of a college education due to the fact that I have seen the many struggles in life that my dad has gone through. This has driven me to become a very successful college student and I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I have already learned so much at this college and I have done my best to get good grades which will give me a better chance at finding a job. I have not received a grade lower than a B+ and this is due to how much I value college and understand that the decisions I make here will affect the outcome of my future.

College is a new and exciting experience. There are no parents telling you what to do, and you have a new sense of freedom. Sounds great right? Well it is, but if I had the chance to go back in time and give myself advice to succeed in college, I would have a few things to say. First and foremost, I would tell myself to manage my time well and to not slack on my work. Being able to manage your time and have time for a social life is imperative. Knowing this, I would tell myself to play sports or join a club. It is a great way to meet new people and make friends. Being new at college can be scary, but joining a team or club can really make you feel as though you have a place and like you are welcomed. Last, I would tell myself to get a job on campus. It is an easy way to make a few extra dollars, but typically does not take up too much of your time, so you still have time for school. College can be scary, but there are ways to make it a great experience.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would have to tell myself that college life is a lot different than high school. I would tell myself that I have to push myself harder in high school to better prepare for college rather than finding out the differences once I got here even though my grades are still decent. I would also tell myself to work harder for money because of some struggles in my freshmen year at college trying to find more ways to get money so I could stay in school and not have to worry about dealing with money while trying to deal with the load of homework that my classes give.

russ

Pursue Engineering and keep music as a hoby.

I think that the best thing that you can do is talk to people who have already gone to that school. It is also helpful to meet teachers and other faculty and staff ahead of time.

Logan

Pick a school that you are comfortable with. Size is a big one. I find that kids from smaller towns enjoy smaller schools. Kids from cities like the larger universities.

Visit the college before you make the final decision.

Norman

Make the most of the resources given to you. I ran into financial problems, and didn't realize how helpful the financial aid office could be until I actually went there and described my situation. College can be new and frustrating between the application process, and the differences between college and high school social and academic standards. Stay focused, and make sure you know your goals, and are motivated enough to reach them through all the paperwork, homework, exams, and whatever social problems you may endure. Especially if you're a first generation college student, it's going to take you a lot more work to figure the process out than it will your peers. Do not get frustrated, and do not falter, or give into the less constructive temptations (drinking every night, etc...), this is a chance to change your life. Don't waste it, and regret doing so later on in life.

Dan

check out facebook

First, know what you want to college for because depending on the major will change your options greatly. Also determine what kind of setting you want to live in, i.e., rural or city and the size of the school's population. Other than that there isn't too much to look at when choosing school's other than little things like the athletic programs and surrounding commodities.

Always visit the college you are interested in before deciding on it. Talk to people that know about the school, students you know that have attended the school or are still attending the school. Start the application process early, and verify everything. Make payments on time, and get your finances straight before signing anything. You need to know what you can afford to avoid running into financial barriers. In reference to actually attending college, don't hide yourself or isolate yourself from the other students. Get yourself out there and meet people, friends are essential to making it through the years in college. Join clubs and activities to get the most out what college has to offer. But the most important thing is to keep up with your school work. The worst thing you can do is slip behind in a class. When you are given an assignment, start working on it immediately. Homework can cause stress but if you can stay organized and focused, you will never find yourself slipping. College is supposed to be a fun learning experience, but you need to make an effort in order for that to happen.