Villa Maria College Top Questions

If I could go back in time and rethink how to transition into the world of higher education I would do two things differently. First, I would talk to students who attended Villa Maria College and had to live off campus to see if they liked this living arrangement. If I had done this I might have found out how hard it is to make friends when not living on the campus. Secondly, I would have done more research on colleges with my major to see if there were other options. I chose Buffalo because it was close to where I live and I disregarded schools in other states like Ohio. If I had been more open to other states I believe I might have found Kent State University when I was first looking. My advice to myself would have been to ask more questions of students who are currently attending the college and be more willing to look outside of New York state because it's more important to live further away but find the best college for you.

Myriam

If I had the chance to go back to high school and give myself advice there is many things I would say to myself. The first thing would be to focus. Focus is the biggest and most important advice for college students. Once you lose that focus on your class or major it's difficult to get it back and put forth your best effort. The second piece of advice I would give would be to be confident in yourself and your abilities. It is too easy to lose confidence in yourself after not doing your best. One wrong answer or should not discourage you from reaching your full potential in life. The last ppiece of advice i would give is to put forth all the effort possible to recieve a good scholarship because the plans in your mind won't neccesarily turn out the way you want them too. Affording a good college that put you in the right path for success has to be planned carefully while in high school.

Just be yourself! Don't be an introvert, take risks, talk to new people, and be aware. Set aside the proper amount of time for schoolwork but also to spend time with new friends. College is a new start, a breath of fresh air. Stay focused and don't be too hard on yourself.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and give myself advice I would tell myself to work hard and not waste my potential as well as put more effort into obtaining scholarships. In high school I took all honors classes and although I passed I did not earn the grades I knew I was capable of. This cost me thousands of dollars in potential scholarships. I also did not put the best effort into earning scholarships choosing the easy way out and solely applying for lottery scholarships which are the most diffucult to earn. All of this cause me the chance to leave the state and continue my education. If I had applied myself my situation would be vastly different.