Vincennes University

« See more reviews of Vincennes University

It is important to know what you want to do in life. Most college students don't know what they want to do for a career or even who they really are themselves, but college is a great way to discover both. I suggest starting out small at an affordable college and then transferring to a larger college/university. It is better to start out small for financial purposes. Another great reason to start out small is to adjust to class sizes. If the individual thinks he/she enjoys smaller classes than he/she can seek a small campus or stay at the original school. If the individual decides he/she would rather enjoy larger classes then for the future he/she can seek a larger campus. A college experience is not only about the educational purpose but a social purpose that helps an individual grow. When finding the right campus, be sure to visit colleges to get the "feel? of the campus to see which environment better suits the student. Ask students around campus how they enjoy their experience at the school and ask what kinds of social activities the school offers. Any education is better than no education!

The only thing I feel I could honestly tell myself would be to move on. At the time of graduation I was very heart broken that I may never see any of my beloved friends again, and everyday for the first week I wished I could go back. As time went on I began to ease into the experience, and was suprised at how fundamentally simallar it was to high school. It wasn't until I started taking my classes in philosophy and the professor, Bruce Buchanan opened my mind to the experience. I began to explore the existentialist ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche andd how I could take what I was feeling and make it positive. Through the isolation and emotional suffering I endured, I began to realize that it all came from a lack of motivation. I was never outgoing and high school, so thus I never met many people and never applied myself. Once I realized this, I began joining clubs in areas that intrested me like Earth Sicence, Philosophy, and Psychology. I also began taking extra courses. I am at this time taking two summer courses in the hopes of getting the most out of my education.

Stay on track. Gosh I got out of High School and went crazy. I was working 2 jobs and trying to go to community college. Next thing I knew I was pregnant. I was worried, shocked, dissapointed, all that and more mixed in one. As a result I stopped school and focussed on work. But then I lost my job and decided to focus on school sooner than later. That didn't work for long as I then had my daughter and one month later started working again. Well I have tried to go back to school twice since then and it just never works out. You need to be consistant in anything you do especially in college. It is completely different than high school. And if you get off track in the least you lose your way a bit and have to work that much harder. I admit it gets frustrating at times, especially with being a single parent, but if I had just focussed on school instead of work and wanting to move out and be free things would be different. That's why if I was a senior again I would tell myself to stay on track.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition would mean a little bit more to me than it did then. I would tell myself how important college is and how the longer you take and the more time you put off, the harder it gets. I would also mention how difficult it is to find work without a degree, a good job anyway. I have worked in factories and I have worked in corrections and I always tell myself that I wish somebody would have pushed me a little bit harder to go to college. I had to learn the hard way. I had to take up dirty jobs risking my health, and sometimes even my life. I would tell myself that a college degree is worth every second that you spend studying or worrying about a test. Once you have that degree, it's yours forever and nobody can take it away. Nobody. You can show it off, it makes you feel good, plus you can always find a decent job because you are an educated man.

The first advice that I would give to students as well as parents is; enjoy the college searching process! It is wise to start inquiring about different schools during the student 2nd semester sophomore year. Request tons of information from schools that interest you. If you don't know what you specifically would like to major in, you should explore schools that offer a broad variety of majors. College visits are the most effective step in choosing which college you want to attend. Parents should set aside ample amount of time for family college visits. Meeting with college advisors helps students better understand what the college has to offer. Students should pay close attention to the teacher to student ratio. Knowing the teacher to student ratio helps a student choose a college with the right class size for them. Overall students as well as parents should decide together what college satisfies the students needs and expectations;as well as the parents.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself a nice long chat. I fell behind my senior year more than any other year and basically gave up. Which, I would have to say, is my biggest regret. I would tell myself to keep my head up and do what had to be done. I would tell myself that my choice to fall behind, caused me to be behind when I took my next step to college. I did not have the grades to get certain oppotunities that I gave up. I wish I could go back and tell myself that my grades, homework, and that whole experience was more important than I gave it credit for. I would be sure to take my own advice too, because I wish that I could have been more focused and dedicated to my school work and furture. I am more dedicated now, to succeed, than I have ever been, and I truely regret letting myself just not care in high school. I would give anything for the chance to go back and tell myself to wake up and look forward.

Change is constant, whether we want to deal with it or not, it's always there. Even if we stay in the same place our whole lives, life is still always changing around us. How we experience change is up to us. It can feel like death, Or it could feel like a new beginning, a second chance at life. If we loosen our grips, go with the flow, and enjoy the journey, it can feel like pure addrenaline. It's up to us to decide how we want to take everything in. I've learned that the purpose of life is to be happy, which at times can seem impossible. But It's all about perspective, by choosing how you view the world, you are able to choose how you feel. You can train you're mind to take the good with the bad and still focus on the good. Or you can choose to only focus on the bad. Everybody has struggles, we all lose our way, even the people who seem like they have it all together have their off days, and yet they still keep going. Never give up, it's all up to you.

I would tell myself that you need to be mentally ready to further your education. Take the time and assess where you want to be, set small goals and go after them. I went on to college in 1988 after graduating because "that was the thing to do." Looking back, I really did not want to go onto college right then, but my older sister said that if I did not do it then, I would never do it. I started my undergraduate degree in 1988 and never obtained my bachelor's degree in Organizational Management until 2004. I was one of those "kids" that needed to be ready to want to further my education, figure out what was important to me and go and get it. There is a lot of stress that young children today endure, trying to figure out what they want to be and where to go and get it. Now being a Dad myself and having my son going off to college in 2011, I feel much better prepared to guide him in setting up his goals for furthering his education.

Yes, college is scary. However, that's only for the first week. The professors will hit the ground running, so be prepared; you need to learn a lot of information in a short period of time, and there is no review, so take notes, especially about what the prof says because he will test on it, and tests mean everything. Classes are either tough or boreing, but all are just as important as the other because you're still looking for scholarships, so you better keep up the grades. There is always something to do, a party to go to, club meetings to attend, and people to hang with; so never say that there is nothing to do! Ask at the student union for a list of clubs and organisations and read the posters/flyers around campus. Most of all, this is one of the best times of your life, so enjoy it! Yeah, there is an amount of gravity because it is school, but college is also one of the most enlightening and exhilarating places to be.

When looking for a college, do not make the choice based on costs. Some of the best colleges aren't big or hard to get into. Many focus on structure and are so cut-throat that it makes you a cold person after getting through it all. If you don't make it through, you will usually endure a lot of stress because of it. At a smaller community college, you can get the education you need to be successful. I'm not saying you will be really rich, but you will live well. Not everyone is going to be rich of course, but the need to live well and be able to support a family comfortably is important. Sometimes I think many people over look the real meaning of college. Its to help further your education to perform your job well. Some mistake it as an opprotunity to become really rich wich isn't the case most of the time. A community college can get you where you need, and at a great value. Choose wisely!