Vincennes University Top Questions

Meagan

Change is constant, whether we want to deal with it or not, it's always there. Even if we stay in the same place our whole lives, life is still always changing around us. How we experience change is up to us. It can feel like death, Or it could feel like a new beginning, a second chance at life. If we loosen our grips, go with the flow, and enjoy the journey, it can feel like pure addrenaline. It's up to us to decide how we want to take everything in. I've learned that the purpose of life is to be happy, which at times can seem impossible. But It's all about perspective, by choosing how you view the world, you are able to choose how you feel. You can train you're mind to take the good with the bad and still focus on the good. Or you can choose to only focus on the bad. Everybody has struggles, we all lose our way, even the people who seem like they have it all together have their off days, and yet they still keep going. Never give up, it's all up to you.

Andrew

Looks can be deciving. Vincennes University look like an awesome small college but it is not. It is very boring, they never have anthing to do and pretty much the only people that go there are the people that did not get accepted to another college. Save your self and apply to other colleges and do not attend there.

Nickie

The only thing I feel I could honestly tell myself would be to move on. At the time of graduation I was very heart broken that I may never see any of my beloved friends again, and everyday for the first week I wished I could go back. As time went on I began to ease into the experience, and was suprised at how fundamentally simallar it was to high school. It wasn't until I started taking my classes in philosophy and the professor, Bruce Buchanan opened my mind to the experience. I began to explore the existentialist ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche andd how I could take what I was feeling and make it positive. Through the isolation and emotional suffering I endured, I began to realize that it all came from a lack of motivation. I was never outgoing and high school, so thus I never met many people and never applied myself. Once I realized this, I began joining clubs in areas that intrested me like Earth Sicence, Philosophy, and Psychology. I also began taking extra courses. I am at this time taking two summer courses in the hopes of getting the most out of my education.

Ian

Do not go to Ivy Tech.

Andrea

The advice I would give myself is, apply for every scholarship out there. There are so many more scholarships geared for seniors in High School than there are for those currently attending college. Look into every source of financial aid you can so you don't have to struggle to pay for college the whole way through.

Brandy

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself a nice long chat. I fell behind my senior year more than any other year and basically gave up. Which, I would have to say, is my biggest regret. I would tell myself to keep my head up and do what had to be done. I would tell myself that my choice to fall behind, caused me to be behind when I took my next step to college. I did not have the grades to get certain oppotunities that I gave up. I wish I could go back and tell myself that my grades, homework, and that whole experience was more important than I gave it credit for. I would be sure to take my own advice too, because I wish that I could have been more focused and dedicated to my school work and furture. I am more dedicated now, to succeed, than I have ever been, and I truely regret letting myself just not care in high school. I would give anything for the chance to go back and tell myself to wake up and look forward.

If I could go back to high school I would tell myself to do better and study more. I was more involved in sports and clubs than I was in academics. I wish I could take it back and take more college prep and college credit classes in high school.

Charles

You only get one shot to make a difference, no matter the influence of your peers, parents, or teachers, you must always, always do your best.

If I could go back and talk to myself about college life and making the transition I would tell myself, to go for it. College is a good thing, no point in waiting. Listen to dad when he tells you to get your studies out of the way, then get married, and have your beautiful son. If you get it out of the way now you'll be graduation in the year 2010 instead of starting up college. You'll be able to get an amazing job, have a great salary to take care of your son, and also be independant and not have to ask your husband for money. So, GO TO COLLEGE GIRL, YOU CAN DO IT!

Tucker

The few things I would tell a former version of myself is for one, focus more on your school work. There is plenty of time for friends and having fun but school is priority. I would also tell myself that in high school, it really doesn't matter what you dress like, who you hang out with or what kind of vehicle you drive. becasue once you hit your college years, none of that matters. Another thing I would tell a former me is that to be prepared to lose contact with almost all of your high school friends. I know, as depressing as it sounds, we all know that unfourtuantly its happened to all of us.

Sharon

Going back into time when i was in high school. Well it's not that far since i been out of high school. I can assume to be telling myself. Find a college that is closer to home are even somewhere i can get on the bus or train. I would have told myself first semester you need to stay focus,because when i get there i would want to party like everyone else would. Going back i would gave myself advice that collge is not cheap and when you go from one major to anothe your wasting money and the time being in school. I also would have told myself to stay focused in class and get some sleep because it's hard being in your dorm room.You gone want to stay up with your friends.Another thing is to make sure to do my homework in ahead of time,and not at the last minute.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself I would give myself alot of advice. I would want to say, study and don't slack off. You may be tempted to slack off jsut because it is "high school." If you work harder in high school and do not slack then you will not have to start in a lower level in college, you will be able to advance and graduate college sooner. Take advantage of all the help in high school, high school is not a joke as long as you take it serious. Also, college life is much different than high school. If you live on campus, then, you will get a chance to become more independent. Overall, study hard and do not slack off.

Cabring

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior. I would describe to myself what it will really be like. Telling me that it's not as scary as it seems, yet it's not a party place as people say either. I would have to give the advice of working hard, writing everything down so I wont forget. I would tell myself to save money for the school and to make sure I receive what I want out of the classes and to jump through the hoops that are going to be handed to me in the furture.

Billy

If i could go back in time i would tell myself to get prepare and take all the nessary testing for college. I started working my senior year of high school and only went to three glasses. So I went straight to work after high school and work one dead end job after another till I landed a job at a coalmine. I work there for five years and never had a chance to advance in my career. So at twenty three I decided to go back to college.

Nathaniel

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition would mean a little bit more to me than it did then. I would tell myself how important college is and how the longer you take and the more time you put off, the harder it gets. I would also mention how difficult it is to find work without a degree, a good job anyway. I have worked in factories and I have worked in corrections and I always tell myself that I wish somebody would have pushed me a little bit harder to go to college. I had to learn the hard way. I had to take up dirty jobs risking my health, and sometimes even my life. I would tell myself that a college degree is worth every second that you spend studying or worrying about a test. Once you have that degree, it's yours forever and nobody can take it away. Nobody. You can show it off, it makes you feel good, plus you can always find a decent job because you are an educated man.

Evelyn

I would probably tell myself to study harder and start looking for finanical aid asap. Do better in school so when you get to college things are a little more easier.

Jamal

If i were given that opportunity, I would advise myself to take advantage of every situation that is available. I think that college life can be easy or hard depending on how you approach it. I would have insisted on researching different majors to find out what was best for me and my personality, and using my resources to gain as much knowledge on my major beforehand. Also, i would tell my self that i could make that next step in life bacause i have the will to learn and ascend.

Jacob

If i could go back in time and give myself advice as a highschool senior I would tell myself to focus on my major and make sure that was your main priority. Make sure that destractions that seem appealing in the short run are jus that distractions. Your main focus should be what your trying to do with your life and not let anything detter you from that. I would also make sure I was very active in the class. Its essential to be involved because most people only go to college once so by you not taking its full advantages it is only going to hurt yourself.

Phillip

Yes, college is scary. However, that's only for the first week. The professors will hit the ground running, so be prepared; you need to learn a lot of information in a short period of time, and there is no review, so take notes, especially about what the prof says because he will test on it, and tests mean everything. Classes are either tough or boreing, but all are just as important as the other because you're still looking for scholarships, so you better keep up the grades. There is always something to do, a party to go to, club meetings to attend, and people to hang with; so never say that there is nothing to do! Ask at the student union for a list of clubs and organisations and read the posters/flyers around campus. Most of all, this is one of the best times of your life, so enjoy it! Yeah, there is an amount of gravity because it is school, but college is also one of the most enlightening and exhilarating places to be.

Felicia

Stay on track. Gosh I got out of High School and went crazy. I was working 2 jobs and trying to go to community college. Next thing I knew I was pregnant. I was worried, shocked, dissapointed, all that and more mixed in one. As a result I stopped school and focussed on work. But then I lost my job and decided to focus on school sooner than later. That didn't work for long as I then had my daughter and one month later started working again. Well I have tried to go back to school twice since then and it just never works out. You need to be consistant in anything you do especially in college. It is completely different than high school. And if you get off track in the least you lose your way a bit and have to work that much harder. I admit it gets frustrating at times, especially with being a single parent, but if I had just focussed on school instead of work and wanting to move out and be free things would be different. That's why if I was a senior again I would tell myself to stay on track.

Anthony

I would tell myself that you need to be mentally ready to further your education. Take the time and assess where you want to be, set small goals and go after them. I went on to college in 1988 after graduating because "that was the thing to do." Looking back, I really did not want to go onto college right then, but my older sister said that if I did not do it then, I would never do it. I started my undergraduate degree in 1988 and never obtained my bachelor's degree in Organizational Management until 2004. I was one of those "kids" that needed to be ready to want to further my education, figure out what was important to me and go and get it. There is a lot of stress that young children today endure, trying to figure out what they want to be and where to go and get it. Now being a Dad myself and having my son going off to college in 2011, I feel much better prepared to guide him in setting up his goals for furthering his education.

Patrick

Take the hard classes now, and try and get some college courses out of the way. At the same time enjoy every second while in high school, its the best.

Shianne

The first advice that I would give to students as well as parents is; enjoy the college searching process! It is wise to start inquiring about different schools during the student 2nd semester sophomore year. Request tons of information from schools that interest you. If you don't know what you specifically would like to major in, you should explore schools that offer a broad variety of majors. College visits are the most effective step in choosing which college you want to attend. Parents should set aside ample amount of time for family college visits. Meeting with college advisors helps students better understand what the college has to offer. Students should pay close attention to the teacher to student ratio. Knowing the teacher to student ratio helps a student choose a college with the right class size for them. Overall students as well as parents should decide together what college satisfies the students needs and expectations;as well as the parents.

Autumn

Dont be afraid to apply to any college! It may seem impossible that you will qualify, but you never know until you try! And never decide on the first one that accepts you, it may seem like the easiest way to go, but wait to see if you get accepted anywhere else and then decide.

Shawn

have time management

Gabriel

Visit the college more than once. Many of the schools I visited seemed right for me during the tour, but when I visited during a school function as a guest, I could see the real school spirit and attitude in the campus. Also, ask alot of questions. Financial aid, housing, student activities, career placement, and department chairs and deans should be overwhelmed with your questions. Not only does it answer all your questions, but lets them know you are interested and they will responde to that. Finally, check into an Honors Program at the school. The perks are the best many schools have to offer.

Benjamin

When looking for a college, do not make the choice based on costs. Some of the best colleges aren't big or hard to get into. Many focus on structure and are so cut-throat that it makes you a cold person after getting through it all. If you don't make it through, you will usually endure a lot of stress because of it. At a smaller community college, you can get the education you need to be successful. I'm not saying you will be really rich, but you will live well. Not everyone is going to be rich of course, but the need to live well and be able to support a family comfortably is important. Sometimes I think many people over look the real meaning of college. Its to help further your education to perform your job well. Some mistake it as an opprotunity to become really rich wich isn't the case most of the time. A community college can get you where you need, and at a great value. Choose wisely!

Shawn

Dont always worry about the schools name and how great it is look at the inside and see what makes it different from other universities.

Alyssa

The most important advice I can give someone would just be outgoing and open minded. Look into all types of colleges, big and small. Explore every option before making the choice. You have to know who you are a person but also, who you want to be. Getting the most out of your experience is completely up to you. Don't be afraid of new things, people, or ideas. Be yourself, work hard, and most of all have fun!

krystal

It is important to know what you want to do in life. Most college students don't know what they want to do for a career or even who they really are themselves, but college is a great way to discover both. I suggest starting out small at an affordable college and then transferring to a larger college/university. It is better to start out small for financial purposes. Another great reason to start out small is to adjust to class sizes. If the individual thinks he/she enjoys smaller classes than he/she can seek a small campus or stay at the original school. If the individual decides he/she would rather enjoy larger classes then for the future he/she can seek a larger campus. A college experience is not only about the educational purpose but a social purpose that helps an individual grow. When finding the right campus, be sure to visit colleges to get the "feel? of the campus to see which environment better suits the student. Ask students around campus how they enjoy their experience at the school and ask what kinds of social activities the school offers. Any education is better than no education!