Virginia College-Birmingham Top Questions

ashley

In high school, I chose try a different and unpopular instrument. I wish I could say, "hey! you need scholarship money and this is minorly annoying but you can get something good so stick with it! Also, buckle down and study more because you are better than that." The simple choices I made would have changed my life forever had I not gone back on those decisions.

Elaine

I would sayt my self I wouldnot procrastinate I wouldnot waste any time in applyin for college and get the process started to continue my education. Because if you wait then it will take you a longtime to make up your mind of what you want to do. Just go to school you will have plenty of time to make up your mind what you want to do meanwhile you will be getting your education an preparing for your future. Never giveu p on your dreams because you are the only one that can make them come true.

I would tell myself to be more relaxed, and focus on the necessary needs instead of the big name of the college or the fame of the college. Instead of stressing over the actual place, I would tell myself to focus on my needs and what my personal goals were in my life, and go with that. I would say that when it comes to your future and your life, you cannot sell yourself short or let worries get the best of you. No matter what you've been through, no matter the pressure, getting to a better place in life is more important than the big college names, or reputation. You need to find what works for you, and what suits your learning style, and work with that and success will certainly be attainable.

Make sure to study hard. College sounds like all fun, but it's not worth partying everyday. It is a great experience and you want to make the most of it. Do go out and have fun, but remember that school and studying always comes first. Make friends and be open to new ideas. Also talk to the teachers and ask for help on grades and scholarships. Don't let life go to waste, but make the most of your time. Also, last tip, plan well.

brandon

I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time alot better, take important things more serious, I should start applying for grants and scholarships, make a schedule of the days and weeks avents, and also be alot more prepared .

jessica

I have not attented college yet but I believe it is important to attend so you can further your life and make a difference. By attending a college you are being a part of something new. You are challenging yourself and making a career for yourself in the process. Out of all the preperation I have been having to do for college I have learned nothing comes without a struggle. You just got to keep moving forward and not give up.

beverly

I have gotten a positive out look on life. Since, I started on this path with a lot of help from people who know little or nothning about me. It makes you feel like you are a part of something that is worth doing. You meet people that are no different than you . College pushing you forward, it learns you how to use proper language, teaches how to think differently, challenges you to do better, shows you where you could be in life, make you have a positive look on life, teaches you how to study, learns you to be more prepared , to organize your time, importance of furthering your education, knowing that you made the right decision, giving you encouragement, reading other students views and opinions, learning from other students, helping other students, teaches you how to make good choices, teaches you about the career your're taking classes for, the money you'll be making too, and the learning experience you will receieve you can take that to help other students who are starting out on this path and give them encouragement to continue their education and go as far as you can with your degree.

Gina

I have learned many new things in my college experience. I did not think I would ever go to college. When I spoke to an advisor for the first time, they showed me that I was the only one stopping myself from getting a college degree. The courses have helped me to better manage my time. I know what is important to me and will not let anyone or anything distract me. i have the opportunity to give my children the life that I did not have. So far, this has been a wonerful experience for me.

Sonya

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience has been the sense of accomplishment I feel. I have learned so much about myself and my capabilities since beginning college. I think, for me, it has been a valuable experience because I have learned my own self worth. For so long, I didn't think I could handle a full-time job, my familial responsibilities and college. Now I know that I can do whatever I need to in order to accomplish my goals.

Monika

I've attended community college and found it wasn't for me. However, if i never attended community college I would have never found out what the path is that i want to pursue. I want to become a Cosmetologist and then go back to college for psychology. So college has taught me what i want to do in my life and think of whats right for me at the time.

rochelle

i get alot of thing out of college i get to listen and meet alot of new people and i get write and learn alot of new stuff

I have been studying for my degree sinc 1993. I have had two children and numerous jobs but my education has and still is a main priority and that is why I have gone back to finsih up my education. My college experience when I was attending a tradional school gave me social skills to be able to handle interactions with different people. The online experience has helped me with working on things alone and given me a new way of learning. Although college isn't for everyone, I believe that further your education is something that everyone should look into whether it be attending tradional colleges or vocational schools or online education. To have the experience of further education can go along way in halping to get a promotion or even a new job.

Jammie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there is some advice that I would give myself. First, I would tell myself to set a five year goal on the career path you are trying to achieve. Decide on a career that you will enjoy doing. Sometimes when you pick a career for money reasons, you get tired and burnt out on that career. Life is a struggle, but life is also what you make it. You will need to stay focused on your goals and travel down the right path. Starting now, you will be responsible for the choices you make in you life. There will be many battles, but know that you can overcome every battle as long as you never give up. It will never be too late to achieve a goal. Failure will only come when you start to do nothing to help you reach your goals. Never forget that learning is an ongoing process with no definitive end; there is always something new to learn. After graduating high school, attend a good culinary arts school. Become an Executive Chef within three years of graduation. Own catering business.

Ginger

I would definitley advise myself to put everything into my grades during my senior year. I would encourage myself to seriously look into colleges and get an idea what I may want to do with the rest of my life. Your senior year is not the time to slack off, but it is the time to start realizing who and what you want to be for the rest of your life. It is the time to start realizing what talents you have, and what goals you want to reach. Do work to hard, remeber to enjoy your final year in high school, but at the same time take a serious look at what you want your future to look like.

Kristi

If I could give myself advice that would drastically alter my future for the better, I would tell myself that after high school, you are one of many people in the world going at it alone. That one day you will wake up from the cloud of haze that you have been in for 20 years and realize that you are important, that you can accomplish anything you want in this life and not to let other people bring you down or tell you anything different. I would say that if you start now while you are young, your thirties and forties will be the best years of your life. You will have achieved your college diploma and now working at your dream job, possibly have a family, but only without the stress of life, the kind of stress you get when you don't go to college, when you flounder and fidget around with your life and can only land the $30K job you hate to go to every day. The kind of stress of raising three children on your minimal salary, watching their disappointment when you can't buy them a car or pay for their college.

Jammie

will send later date.

I would go back and tell myself to work harder through high school and to study a lot more. I would also take more AP classes and look more advanced on my high school diploma. I will also discuss the things I will have to overcome and become more self confident with the work I put into my classes. I would have also worked harder in sending in videos to grab a spot on a volleyball team and land a scholorship.

If I could go back in time to give myself advice, I would first tell myself to start looking for scholarships because college is not cheap. Then I would tell myself that I should research different schools and programs that they have to offer. If I would have known what I know now about college, then I would have already graduated, had more money, and been on my own by now.

Francisco

The advice I would give myself, if I went back in time. I would attend lectures from recruiters about continuing my education beyond my high school. I would decide to go and enroll in college and start right after graduation. And start in the summer. Giving up my rest and relaxation. To educate my self further!

I would tell myself that I should take a little time for myself and choose a career that I will love to learn more about. Then research the field I want to go into and find the position that most fits my personality and the skills I have learned from my past experiences.

Amalia

Wow knowing the things I know now, probably would be: nevergive up because doing a smart choice such as continue my education already makes me a better person. There is nothing better feeling that sensation of achievement because you are doing something positive with your self. Is better to be known as Sensational Achievemen than being a looser. Nothing is easy that's a fact you got to be real and know is hard but when we were first born to this earth, we did not came here walking, we came here not knowing how to walk or drag your self around (meaning) we started from the very bottom and that is the same thing with us trying to reach our dreams, we have to start from bottom. In other words, reaching our dreams is like being born all over again because, when you make it to the top or when you reach your dream you have that feeling of achievement is the same as, when we were born not knowing nothing, we had a long journey to be finally 18 or 21, so many struggle but you made it trough, you happy, you got the feeling, this is ex.

Misty

Knowing what I know know about college life and the transitions, I would have told myself that a college education was not out of my reach. I didn't do well in high school classes, but have excelled in my online college classes. I would have also told myself how fun, new, and exciting it is to be able to work with a multitude of people on a regular basis through classes. I would have also told myself that just because my parents didn't save for my college education, doesn't mean that I can't get in and attend a wonderful school.

Melania

I would have went straight to Virginia College instead of my first school, I wasted a lot of time.

Theresa

Take the chance. What harm is it going to do? Take time out of your day? Whats the worst it could do? Give you a degree. I should have had a harder conversation with myself about it. At the time my parents did not have the money to send me. They were barely getting by themselves. I never knew how easy it was to get financial aid threw a "Financial Department" at the school. I always thought it was out of my reach. What I didn't know was even though I have to pay that loan back. I still have a better future than if I had only a High School Diploma. Unfortunately I always had people around me who were not insistant about me going. My High School too was not so helpful either. Unless you made yourself a known figure in the school with one of the popular goups or teachers you were considered part of the background. The student counselors focused on the smart kids only. They wanted only them to succeed. They saw everyone else as mediocre possible college material. As I do now of Holding a higher standard for myself to achieve more.

Misty

If I could go back to myself in high school, I would have told myself to finsh with a traditional diploma instead of compromising with a G.E.D. That way I would have had more choices of where to go to school. I would have also told myself that college wasn't out of my reach and that it would increase my self-confidence by incredible lengths. My classes have pushed me to my academic limits and I have gained so much knowledge, charisma, and confidence in my self and my abilities.

"Don't waste your time. Forget about girls, drinking, and screwing off for just two years and focus on what truly matters: family, school, and yourself. Theres so much out there to distract you, but thats just something you'll have to deal with. Everything you learn in school is vital, regardless whether its something you're going to use in the field or not. Pay attention, I know how you are with stuff like that. And most importantly, BE CAREFUL! You're going to run into chances of screwing your life up everyday and its going to have to be in your good judgement that you evade those certain situations." Or something along those lines, I'm not really much for talking to myself.