Virginia Commonwealth University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Virginia Commonwealth University

Although having only been at VCU for a short bit now, the university is just as bustling as the city surrounding it. VCU offers many places to eat such as Panda Express, Chick Fil A, Pizza Hut, Subway, and more! On-campus housing is hit or miss, depending on which dorm you're put into. Most professors are understanding of what it's like to be a student, and keep regular hours and provide multiple points of contact. Many first-year professors also try to limit the number of textbooks you need to buy. The classes can range from a room of 20 to a lecture hall of a couple hundred. Overall, a good school. You just need to know which parts of the city to stay away from, and when. Oh, and don't eat at Shafer a lot! It'll upset your stomach.

Aaliyah

Virginia Commonwealth university is overall a great school. This school has so much to offer such diversity, friendly people, the beautiful Monroe Park, and everything is nearby. I like that it is an open campus, because you don't have to go out of your way to get to where you need to go. The only downside to having an open campus is having regular civilians roaming around either in outside VCU facilities and even indoors of VCU facilities.

Mariam

This school is everything I'm looking for in a school. It's really diverse and well educated. I feel as if I am safe our others and the environment. I plan on furthering my education by focusing and being well known. Virginia commonwealth Is known for their social interactions and their studies of medicine. Overall I'll give this school a 8/10

Cynara

Virginia Commonwealth University is an okay school. It has the highest tuition in the state of Virginia. They are still charging students for fees that are not being used while we are in a pandemic. It is not the safest university. I enjoy my major and would recommended it to others.

Overall, VCU has been a great experience. I can always nitpick at some things, but that happens wherever you go. Nothing can be perfect. I have received a wonderful education here so far and made lifelong friends and connections. When I first transferred to VCU, I met great support for transfer students and the students themselves were extremely welcoming. Throughout the pandemic, VCU has kept students accountable with daily health checks and understandable staff in terms of the online learning curve. Although, I feel like there could be a bit more on campus security when it comes to preventing the spread of the virus. In terms of scholastic variety in terms of my major specifically, I do wish there was a specific program or major for aspiring Art therapists. Throughout my time here, I have met at least ten other students who wish to pursue this career, and the closest major is Art education, for those that wish to teach art in schools. This is a splendid major with very helpful advisors and counselors, but for a prestigious art school and large art community, it is very surprising that there is no program for this career path. Aspiring art therapists are encouraged to pursue the art education major or a fine arts major, possibly even double majoring a combination of things to create a makeshift hodgepodge major to hopefully suit our needs. I have taken many psychology courses at this university as well and they had wonderful professors, so I am sure that there could be some sort of collusion with the art majors to create a suitable alternative.

Mary

VCU has been a great place to receive my education. While it can be expensive because President Rao takes a huge chunk of tuition for himself, the facilities are well maintained, there are only a few bad professors, and you can always find your niche here. Upperclassmen are always willing to help because we know how hard it is to be a freshman in a brand new city. My biggest piece of advice is to skip the meal plan; it's all junk food. Don't live in Rhoads, Brandt, Johnson, or GRC; they are overpriced, overcrowded, and gross. Your best bet is to get an apartment off-campus (but not something stupidly overpriced!), pay rent, and buy your own groceries. College is tough, but VCU students have made it easier for other students. Don't try to lean on the Financial Aid office or your academic advisor; you really have to be a self-starter. Overall, it's a great mid-tier school. It's not the best of the best, but the student body and brilliant professors make up for the food, housing, and cost!

Maggie

This university is a great art school. It has a big art scene so if you are interested in doing anything involving the arts I would really recommend VCU. VCU is also a really diverse. It has a great city life; if you are into that, and generally anywhere on campus is safe even though it is in the middle of Richmond.

QuanDrez

VCU is a very good school overall, we have one of the top art schools within the country. Aside from that the academics and opportunities are consistent to what students were promised if they attended VCU. I am very happy that I chose VCU but one thing that I dislike is the randomness for housing. We use a lottery system for upperclassmen that can leave many students without housing.

Zakayla

Virginia Commonwealth University is a wonderful university. From the city-like scene to the wonderful teachers and facilities, it is overall a great place to be. Anyone who visits of attends the university will instantly feel the welcoming energy of other students and staff. Majority of the people you meet on campus will help you if you need it and definitely make you feel at home. Virginia Commonwealth University is a great place for anyone!

Simren

VCU is a very diverse university. You meet all types of people. It might take a while, but you will find your niche. Students are encouraged to be involved on campus, which is a great way to make friends. In terms of academics, a lot of people do not underestimate the difficulty of classes at VCU. Regardless, some professors are willing to spend extra time (if the student seeks it) assisting students and/or referring them to the tutoring center, etc.

Sabrina

Overall, VCU is a great place to study. I feel as if it was the perfect place to start my adult life. There is so much culture around. Even if campus food isn't the best at VCU, the surrounding restaurants are great! If you try hard enough, you'll find your niche easily. I really recommend getting involved since that will either make or break your experience here or at any university.

Haley

VCU is a great school with a vast amount of opportunities both in the university and through other local programs. They have a lot of affiliations with other places in the city, so it is easy to get connected or to get discounts on important things. It is a great university, however the major downfalls that it has are mostly food-related. Since it is a city college, you would expect them to have partnerships with a lot of different restaurants, but unfortunately this is not the case. They claim to have over 23 places to use your dining plan at, but only about ten of these places accept swipes and the rest only accept dining dollars. In addition, most places only swipe from 5-9pm so you basically only have 5 places to eat the rest of the day. The class sizes can seem intimidating until you are actually in the rooms with all the other students. Most class sizes are less than 300, if that. If you are a part of the Honors College, then your average class size is 16 students. I would highly recommend students to apply to the Honors Program. In terms of safety, it is super safe. After dark, being alone on campus is safe but outside of campus you should probably be with another person or RamSafe. Overall, it is a great university with just a few flaws. I would highly recommend it.

Laura

I honestly did not go and see the VCU until orientation. I was an out of state student from Connecticut and decided to take the risk and go to VCU. During orientation, they only showed up the "main" campus (Monroe) and not the MCV campus. The food could have been better there, but the people I met there, I still continued to talk to today. During orientation, I found out I was living in Cabaniss, now like I said, during orientation they ONLY showed us the Monroe campus and not the MCV campus. Cabaniss was on the MCV campus which I did not have the chance to look at. Orientation was fun and great. Anyhow, the first day of move in was on August 15 on a Saturday which was strange since universities tend to start later. Move in day was very very hard because it was hot, people had a lot of things to move in, and I was confused, and also the line was super long. I was technically annoyed on that day. Once, I got my stuff and officially moved in, I decorated my dorm and met my roommate who was also out of state student as well. The first time I looked in my dorm room, I noticed that it was bigger than other students on the same floor and overall Cabaniss is known for their storage and having Jonah's next door. Jonah's is a culinary dining hall that serves high-end food according to VCU and other people. Jonah's is a 3.4/5 because 1. it closes early and that's the only dining on the MCV campus that allows us to use our swipe for blocks instead of using our dining dollars. I'll break down the meal plan. Swipes (as known as blocks) = 1 swipe can get you a lot of things. Ex: Pizza hut --> 1 pan pizza with a fountain drink (any time of sodas, Gatorade, water, etc.) Ex: Jonah's --> make your own sandwich (well the people do it for you, but they have a wide selection of bread, toppings, dressings,etc.), fountain drink, and fries or potato chips Dining dollars (MONEY) = you can use anywhere in VCU dining places, you can buy Starbucks, chips, cookies. Ex: Pod (in the Commons) buy nutter butter = $1.99, you swipe your card and it comes off your dining dollars as $1.99 Ex: Starbucks --> Grande Hot Mocha = $4.65, it comes off your dining dollars as the exact amount If you don't like the food in VCU campuses, you should get more dining dollars than blocks. Dining dollars tend to run out more than blocks. Back to Jonah's. 2. Some of the workers who work there are friendly but take their sweet time even if there's not a lot of people in there. 3. There's NOT a lot of variety to choose from. There's the make your own salad, the pizza area, the Chinese area ( ONLY white, brown rice or noodles, pop chicken, fried chicken, beef, certain vegetables as well), the fast food area (cheeseburger, not that great, fries, chicken sandwich, grill cheese, wings = could have been better, I felt like they were boiled then dip in barbeque sauce with no seasoning), and then you have the sandwich area too. One thing that bothered me when living in Cabi (Cabaniss), you had to take the bus every morning or every day basically to get to the Monroe campus for classes. The plus side of taking the bus, you know your way downtown a lot more than other students, and there's an app that allows you to see where the bus is at and how long it will take it to come to you. MCV campus is for medical students, there's the MCV hospital like 5 minutes away from Cabi. I hated getting up for classes because if my class started at 11am, I had to wake up 9:30 to get on time to the bus stop and walking to class afterward. That's why it is much easier to live on the Monroe campus. However, Freshman this coming Fall have first priority for housing since they're turning Low Rises, a residential dorm next to Cabi for medical students. They're also taking down two of the residential dorm in GRC. Now, let's talk about Monroe campus since I spent a lot of time there. Monroe campus is nice, it's very easy to get used to everything, just remember to read signs if you are bringing your car on campus so you do not get a ticket. I advise you to buy a student parking ticket for one of the VCU garage because it's much better and you don't have to worry about getting a ticket. On the Monroe campus, there's a lot of dining places to eat at and you can use your swipes or dining dollars also. They have Shaffer (it's eh, 2.5/5, but their cookies are on point; all you can eat buffet), iHop express (4/5 after 1am you have to pay with dining dollars), Croutons (salad place, never tried), Pizza (4/5), Subway (never tried), Chickfila (it could be better quality 2/5, dining dollars ONLY Monday-Friday, then Saturday swipes), Einstein (5/5, love their bagels and the varieties they have, their egg sandwich is okay, dining dollars Monday-Friday before 5 pm, after 5pm you can swipe), Canes (3/5 it's okay, it basically fried chicken, fries, bread, fountain drink; next to iHop), Bleeker (in the School of Business building, first floor; it's SOOOOOOO GOOOD 5/5, you have to try), and their's other places you can eat on the Monroe campus that have swipes or dining dollars, the list goes on. Unlike on the MCV campus you have Jonah, and in the hospital there's Wendy's, but that's dining dollars and there's Einstein that's dining dollars before 5pm, after 5 pm it's swipes. Overall, VCU dining halls could have been much better, and should have better varieties for students who lived on the MCV campus because it was very unfair for me as a Freshman. Now, classes or courses. VCU is known for their academic (well medical campus) and basketball. I'm not going to talk about the basketball team because I did not go to one game since the tickets kept selling out fast. The games are free for VCU students, but a lot of parents and other students from other schools go there. Anyhow, the classes at VCU on the Monroe campus is huge. If you are taking a Statistics, Pre-Calculus, Sociology, Biology 101, or Anatomy class. Be prepare to have over 150 students in your class and the professor talks and talks. Also, I advise you to buy a clicker too. It's a tool that lets the professor know where their students stand, but it DOES count towards your grade, depending on your professor. Also, buy some batteries too, just in case your clicker dies. You most likely use your clicker in more than one class. Smaller classes would be like English courses, for instance, UNIV 111/112, 200. It makes sense, the professor needs to get to know you and your paper very well to help you excel in writing, reading, and also presenting. The only thing that I hated about UNIV 111/112, group projects because there's going to be students in your groups stuck in high school still. Overall, I enjoyed the courses at VCU and the people I met in my dorm because since Cabi is a small community, you are closer to them than other dorms. Dorms on the Monroe campus don't really connect and branch out to other students on their floor rarely. I recommend people to go to VCU because it's a great university. And PLEASE sign up for VCU Alert because there's happen to be a lot of crimes on the Monroe campus at night, like sexual assault, robbing, break-ins, etc. It happens to other universities as well, but just be careful and also be careful who you sign into your dorm. ALSO, as an out of state student, you will not get a lot of grants or scholarships. I finished this semester with a 3.769, but overall a 3.630 and they still did not give me a lot of grants or scholarships. I will still be a VCU Ram at heart, but now I'm going to be a UCONN Husky. I would advise visiting the school because it's not a city, it's urban and it has a little city feeling to it. Well, I hope my review helped you incoming Freshman or transfer students. This review is written by a first-generation college/Freshman student. Good luck!!!

Kendra

When I think about VCU, the first thing that used to come to my mind was, "An art school in the city." However, after being there for a year and some change now when I think of VCU I think of the word, "Family". When I first got to VCU I was super scared, however, meeting those who were incoming and those who were here already, I discovered that everybody here is here to help and will help you. From finding where something is to finding out what you missed in class, students and professors will be there to help. When I started to branch out and join organizations I found my family, which made VCU a home for me and even though it is a little pricey, which is the reason why I have to take a semester off, there is no other place I would want to transfer to.

If someone had told me when I was starting high school that in four years I would be attending Virginia Commonwealth University, I would not have believed them. VCU was not in my top list of schools because it is right in the middle of a city and a majority of the students are in the arts program, both of which were not high on my list of appealing traits. Having spent the last two years at VCU though, I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made. There is always something going on, whether it be a sporting event or a rally or protest occurring in the middle of campus. This campus is extremely diverse which allowed for me to quickly learn about different cultures that I had previously never been exposed to. Academically speaking, the teachers and opportunities are more than I could have hoped for. The medical campus has one of the top Pharmacy programs in the state, which is what I am planning to pursue and what drew me to VCU in the first place. Overall, my experience over the past two years have been enjoyable and I believe important for creating the type of character I hope to be known for in the future.

Caitlyn

It's an eclectic and diverse community centered around art and creativity. The city campus is buzzing with dedicated artists and students. There is never a dull moment in Richmond or at Virginia Commonwealth University, but it's up to you to make sure of that. There are limitless opportunities to get involved with that arts and music and social life.

Dominique

It is much to do and much to learn here. There are a variety of people that you will encounter. Avery down to earth campus with many activities going on daily. What's learned in the classroom will become what you see in the real world. Unfortunately, for out of state students tuition is extremely higj and the school offers little money even if grades are outstanding.

Bhumi

Great school!

Danarubini

My overall opinion of Virginia Commonwealth University is that it is a diverse, well-rounded school committed to education and challenging the boundaries of established knowledge. This is done through academic research, public engagement with the arts, and political discourse. I appreciated the exposure to undergraduate research I had across a variety of scientific disciplines in the medical campus and the undergraduate campus.

I think it's a pretty good school, but VCU doesn't really feel like family. They're a so many people here and it's so easy to become part of a crowd. I've been here for two years and I still feel strange... I wish I went to a school that made me feel like I was a part of the community, not just a part of the numbers. But, I still love my school. Most of the teachers are great and we are really a diverse campus. There is plenty to get involved with, you just have to make an effort to go out and meet people. My classes have been satisfactory. I truly feel educated, the teachers don't slack too much. And the cost of school is on the medium to high side. It's not too expensive, but it's not cheap either. If you like the city and you like nature, you'll like it here. Plus, there's a pretty big mall about 20 minutes away. :)

Kelly

I fell in love with VCU the second I stepped foot onto it. While it certainly is not a perfect University or by any means a utopian community, it certainly has become a home away from home. Even though students often live in an urban environment, I feel very safe knowing I am protected by VCU police and professors alike who go out of their way to ensure safety for all students. I am throughly enjoyed my classes, have found rich community in the extra curricular activities I have invested in, and have grown so much through campus life.

Kalisa

Virginia Commonwealth University is my favorite college. There is a uniqueness about the student life here. People are very friendly and helpful here, also there is a wide variety of equality. I feel as if I am able to be myself and grow as a person. There is rarely or if ever discrimination and the campus police are very active in the VCU community. There are also many activities to be a part of and many clubs that make campus life easier. Being a transfer student, I would say that the cafeteria food is very delicious and very healthy. Another thing that I love about VCU is the variety of classes. I am able to not only take psychology classes in one semester, but I am able to take creative writing classes which I am also interested in. It is also very refreshing to go to the library and study knowing that the librarians are there to help you out. For example, I was in the library this semester looking for a book for my African American study course. As I was looking, a librarian walked up and helped me find exactly what I needed. I also love the colors of our mascot and how active he is in bringing joy to the VCU community. Also, I love how very cultured and outspoken people are on the campus about voting. Voting is a very important aspect of letting your voice be heard. Lastly, I love that VCU gives voices to people who were afraid to speak up in the past. VCU is a community and being a VCU ram is a lifestyle.

Kaylee

Terrible school. This school does NOT care about it's students or their well-being. In fact, I decided to transfer schools after only one semester because I was that miserable at this school. Many other students agree with me as well.

Angelique

There are constant crime alerts, which is not surprising since VCU campus is located directly in the city. It is not difficult to find friends at VCU as they have over 500 clubs/organizations. Although not all of the professors are helpful to freshman, as you move up into higher level courses it becomes more in depth and easier to connect with your professor. They have plenty of opportunities for study abroad and getting a job on campus. I'd recommend stay away from Shafer unless it's a visitors day, because the food can get pretty interesting to say the least. It's not a huge deal though, because there are many other food vendors on and off campus that accept Rambucks/Dining Dollars. Some of the vendors even allow for a swipe exchange for certain menu items! Make sure to use up your swipes as they expire each semester and do not transfer over. All and all though, VCU is a great place to be and learn. I highly recommend check it out if they offer your major.

Caitlyn

VCU is an excellent community of diverse learners. Although we don't have a football team, this seeming con actually allows us to boast that we are undefeated (can't beat what isn't there lol). However, if your heart is absolutely set on American football, VCU offers many intramural and club teams to join in on! VCU also boasts an amazing faculty. Professors at VCU will bend over backwards to help you succeed in or out of the classroom! Students and staff alike are always willing to help out or hang out. In addition to its own faculty, VCU has wonderful connections with the City of Richmond which offer unique opportunities for students to engage in business, education, politics, service, arts, or wellness. Overall, VCU is an awesome community overflowing with amazing opportunities for everyone.

Ramtin

As I walked through the streets of Virginia Commonwealth University, interacted with all the peoples of the University in social hot spots and reveled in how at home I felt in its excellent library, I always came back to just one thought, "This place is the single most interesting place I've ever lived in and other Universities can only hope to match its ability to enchant me". To me this school feels much less like an academic setting and more like an actual person whose flaws are clear and visible and it’s up to me to learn to look past them in order to really enjoy the experience. I still haven’t been taught by a professor that I didn’t think was doing a below average job. Every single one of my educators were intelligent, attentive, enthusiastic and available for students to communicate with. My second semester Biology course of my freshman year was soul crushingly difficult but I could never find any way to blame my professor because of how well of a job he did. I also appreciate how clean the facilities are in the school. Our gym and library are arguably some of the best in Virginia and the classrooms are spacious and organized. There’s the occasional stray squirrel or rat found in hallways but to me they serve as fresh surprises and not something to complain about. VCU is well known for its very opinionated students, which means there’s almost always a band of young adults willing to speak up for or against something regarding modern day politics. Some of my most exciting moments there have involved me visiting popular areas of the campus and watching all the people with their signs. Despite my love for this school, I have to point out some inexcusable flaws. Most people will tell you that the food in our Shafer hall is terrible tasting and horrible for your stomach. I have yet to come across a single person who can genuinely stand the pizza that’s given out. There’s also a problem with crime and the general space regarding these things. Anecdotally speaking, my living space was next to three locations that had no business being there. My dormitory, which was a living learning center that housed mostly freshmen and sophomores, was directly next to an ABC store, a nightclub, and a 7-11 that I often found homeless people doing illegal drugs behind. Safety on campus is generally questionable, students can expect to be harassed and followed by drugged up homeless people, hear shootings very close to campus and even get shot themselves if they’re in a bad spot off campus.

The general vibe at VCU is amazing if you love city life, or are looking for something new. There are endless activities to do in the city and a myriad of places to eat! Academics are great too! With like-minded people from all walks of life there are many school clubs and organizations to choose from. Ranging from outdoor activities to spiritual enlightenment. The academic facilities are great as well, whether you are studying for an exam or working on an art piece, there is always something that could help the experience be great. If you like to live in a small urban setting then VCU is for you!

Brandon

VCU is an urban campus. There's so much to do around Richmond. There are bars, clubs, museums, libraries, historic sites, government buildings, art galleries, and so much more! It's a very diverse school and is an incredible place to be. The student body is very socially progressive and active. It's a great science and art school.

Detranelle

VCU is a wonderful school with challenging academics, devoted faculty, and an encouraging environment.

Dedelolia

Virginia Commonwealth University places its students on a high pedestal. They treat every student with fairness, equity, and compassion. The professors at Virginia Commonwealth University want every one of their students to succeed and will ensure that their students are comfortable and intrigued in class. The professors strive to seek the interests of students and go out of their way to accommodate students in their classes, whether it be by extending office hours, taking time to review more material in class, and posting review materials at the end of class each day. Virginia Commonwealth University teaches its students to think critically, communicate effectively, and develop an understanding of each student's major in order for that student to succeed in their future positions once they have graduated.

Maab

VCU is by far a large school. Everyone is very sweet and the culture is extremely accepting. There's an extremely large diverse student body and the school upholds its diversity and acceptance for anyone, and everyone. It's okay to be different. It's a very big arts school so there's alot of arts students and there's murals all of=ver the city, its gorgeous. Class sizes can range from 30-300 but the professor always has office hours with their own tutoring hours as well. The school itself is very big in the health field, especially because the graduate school is the best medical center in the Virginia State. In addition, academic are tough, but very much worth it. Basketball season is the most live season on campus, and people go all out! Over all, great school for those that want t experience the city life and loike to make new friends.

Ryan

There's something magical about walking around campus seeing everything from brightly coloured hair to people in business suits to people carrying massive sculptures down the street. There are people who live for the basketball games, and others who don't really care. While on-campus food and housing isn't the best in my opinion, the city has fantastic restaurants and there's plenty of reasonably-priced off-campus housing. It's a fairly liberal campus; while it has its issues, in general, students and staff are respectful and open to diversity.

Toniqua

Virginia Commonwealth University is an amazing school to attend; without personal experience, no words can describe the atmosphere of the university. There's always something new to look forward to each day -- whether its trying out the new restaurant down the street or attending a study group, you'll never be bored. You can always find help on campus because you're never alone, the students here lend a helping hand with hesitation, and thats something you can't find anywhere. Attending this university is a privilege, something you should take advantage of while you're there. As VCU continues to stand, I'm sure this community will do nothing but grow. Once a Ram, always a Ram. Own it!

Kynady

I love this university it was my top pick when I was applying for colleges. This college is extremely diverse, there are so many people that come from different backgrounds it is amazing. VCU has everything and I mean everything well except a football team, but the basketball games totally make up for it. So, if you like shopping, history, art, and eating or you like all of the above then VCU is the place for you.

Camryn

Overall, VCU is an outstanding school. What I love the most about this college is the diversity and the amount of people. You will always have people to meet and there will be many people who share the same interests as you. I'm a shy person, but I've made quite a few friends already. The academics and the extra curricular activities/clubs are great, there are so many to choose from. The food choices include your regular food places- Taco Bell, Cane's, Wendy's, Panda Express- but there are other nice options like Chili's and Croutons. The dining hall, Shafer Court Dining Center, doesn't have the greatest food, but the salads and waffles are up to par. Everyone always talks about the safety, but you just have to be aware of your surroundings. This is a city, so there is going to be a large amount of crime, but that shouldn't stop you from going here! I've only been here for five or six weeks, but I'm getting used to the area and the college life.

Barbara

Virginia Commonwealth University is a remarkably diverse school with a lot of personality. It has a urban city vibe; walking on campus, I appreciate the beautiful confetti paintings and murals on the tall buildings. Like this university, the students are diverse and unique as well; and they are not afraid to stand up to what they believe in. Remember our Anti-Trump Protest March in November? There were hundreds of students out there. There may have been noise complaints, but I love how VCU students are not afraid to express themselves. There are many programs, clubs, and activities to choose from. I personally choose this school because of their medical program and my favorite sport: rugby. After one year of being on the team, I became Vice president. I immediately felt a sense of belonging. This school is not only fun, but they help you succeed academically as well. Virginia Commonwealth University has many resources to help students such as tutors, teacher office hours, study sessions, 24-hour library access, etc. I believe if one were to use all of these resources, one is guaranteed to pass all of their classes. Overall, Virginia Commonwealth University is a unique, fun school that guarantees success.

Barjaa

VCU is a very diverse campus in many senses (ethnicity, race, religion, political beliefs, gender, sexuality, etc. ). There's a wonderful variety of student organizations/clubs that really help bring people with like interests and contribute to a sense of community. There is always something new to do or discover both one and off campus. VCU has a wide range of majors, minors, and other concentrations. It has an amazing art program along with an outstanding medical program (medicine, dentistry. nursing, pharmacy, clinical laboratory sciences, occupational therapy, etc.).

Maureen

I absolutely love it here. I feel so comfortable and accepted on this campus. It is an open university, meaning it is open to the public so it can be somewhat dangerous, but any college campus can be to be honest. everything about the university is just beautiful. going here really just shows me the beauty of living. I honestly feel so happy and proud to go here.

Moriah

There are many students who are interested in a variety of activities due to the huge population of students. While VCU does a great job of diversity, there is some struggle in specific students having priority over others which can be disheartning. However, most every professor I've had is amazing at taking time for the students and helping them be their best.

Munirah

It's a great learning experience, but it comes with it's flaws. Outgoing students, great professors, but outside campus life could be better.

La-Kiesha

I thoroughly enjoyed my three years at VCU. I made an active effort to still get involved on campus which was really easy. There is always something going on and off-campus. There are plenty on stores and good food around. Professors can be a hit or miss. I would definitely use ratemyprofessor when selecting classes.

Jasmine

I love my school. People are very involved and nice and it really makes it easy to feel comfortable. When something is wrong, you get fast and good service. The on-campus food services are amazing and unlike any other campus. I am really happy I chose this school and am proud to be a ram!

Lakesia

Virginia Commonwealth University is well known and equipped for majors such as art, social work, education, and health professions (nursing, medicine, dentistry, and allied health professions). It is an open campus in a big city, but once familiar with the campus it is a big circle that is easy to navigate. it is the city so parking is scarce and expensive, become comfortable with public transportation. Professors and staff are great and supportive. Housing and food is decent. Surrounded by useful places like grocery stores, libraries, and public assistant organizations. There is always fund events to attend downtown, in Cary town, and the surrounding counties. Make sure you re always keeping safety in mind.

Asha

At first I was very skeptical towards attending VCU, solely due to the fact that it is an urban university I figured I wouldn't meet as much people, I would get lost, and that I would have a difficult time maneuvering around since I was not used to the city. I went in with this attitude and at first it was dreadful, but to my surprise my experience has been superb. The academics are a bit rigorous, but VCU has tutoring, group tutoring, office hours, and many more tools to ensure your success during your tenure. I've met so many new people from all walks of life that has not only shown me around the city, but has also introduced me to various food establishments and boutiques. I have become so used to the city life that I am remaining at VCU for my Master's as well!

Reagan

VCU is a very diverse school that is very welcoming to all people of different backgrounds. The academics are challenging enough that will make you go to the library and give it your all and the student life is great from many different clubs. Since VCU is in Richmond, there are many different things to do from museums to just simply exploring the city. VCU was the right choice for me and will be for my remaining 3 years.

Justine

Virginia Commonwealth University is a very good academic college to go to. It is very diverse and very welcoming to anybody no matter race or gender preference. The teachers are very helpful and do not mind helping no matter what time of day it is. Over all VCU is the best school to attend in my opinion.

Carissa

I loved this school. It was my first choice and I enjoy everything about this school. It is very diverse, so you will have a lot of people to interact with. The classes are challenging but they are worth it. Living on campus is a big help in getting to know the people around you.

Tyler

It is a diverse community. Great school for any major. The faculty and staff are dedicated to the students. Always available to help even during off hours.

Dylan

My time at Virginia Commonwealth University has definitely had its ups and downs. It's difficult to make friends if you aren't very outgoing. However, if you join clubs, like I did during my second year, you will most certainly make friends. Academically, VCU has some excellent professors, although it is extremely difficult to get straight A's unless you dedicate nearly all of your time to your studies. The atmosphere on campus is excellent and a majority of the student body is very friendly. Overall, I've enjoyed my time at VCU and, if I were able to, I would definitely not choose another school to attend.

Ciara

I love my school, the original reason that I chose VCU was because it seemed so diverse, and although it is a predominately white institution (PWI) there are many different races and groups that embrace their ethnicities. Campus food may not be that great, but in the city of Richmond, there are many great restaurants to visit and there is never a dull moment at VCU.