Virginia Highlands Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Virginia Highlands Community College

Courtney

It's a wonderful place for students in Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee to attend, especially if you don't want to pay expensive university prices and you're just taking General Studies, which is what I did. Everyone I met on campus was so friendly to me: students, professors, and other faculty, as well. The professors are easy to contact and are happy to help students. If the professors can't help you, there are free tutors in the Learning Center, which is located at the library. The price of tuition and books (for me, personally) was approximately $2,000 - $2,500 for four classes. However, a lot of students (myself included) come to Virginia Highlands on scholarships that completely cover their tuition with scholarships such as the Tobacco Scholarship and the AIMS Scholarship. Overall, it's a wonderful school.

Aaron

My time at Virginia Highlands Community College was fantastic. The faculty are incredible and always willing to help. The library and testing center are well laid out and easily accessible for everyone. Applying for scholarships is wonderful and the financial aid department was a pleasure to work with when questions arose.

I think Virginia Highlands is a great place to be. It continues to help me on my path to reach my goals. I have never had a problem with any faculty or staff. They are always easily accessible. I highly recommend this community college and have no other place I would rather be.

CELESTE

I had some very good professors at Virginia Highlands. I like the classroom size, about 20 people to a class. It is quiet and a good place to get your two year degree or for any vocational classes that they provide. Virginia Highlands is also very affordable. I left there with zero student debt. Overall I feel I got a good well-rounded education with my General Studies in Arts and Sciences degree.

As a non traditional student who has attended a 4 year University previously I was very impressed with VHCCs facility and campus. I found the advisor and professors very helpful and willing to go out of their way in order to accommodate a non-traditional students schedule. I found the part time nursing program to be a wonderful compromise for myself as I needed to continue working but still wanted to pursue a new career path.

I love VHCC! This school is the best place to get Steamrolled in student career.

Katie

I am a freshman at Virginia Highlands Community College and I really enjoy attending. VHCC is a great place to start your college degree. The professors are very friendly and helpful as well as the entire staff. Everyone in the facility aims to see you succeed! We are very involved in the community and the students who attend are almost always volunteering at an event that VHCC is sponsoring or helping out with. The student life is very diverse, we have clubs of all kinds, and elective classes like art, chorus, and drama club. There is a large amount of financial assistance who will help you out the best they can so that you can afford your education. We have work study programs, financial aid assistants, and affordable payment plans. Everyone at VHCC is so kind and will go out of their way to help you succeed and do whatever it takes to get you to where you want to go. The classes are very enjoyable and the professors are great. In high school, I was really wanting to go to a university, but the closer graduation time came, I realized that I wanted to stay in my hometown for a little longer, and I do not regret it at all. I am very happy that I chose to come here. I do not understand why community colleges get such a bad rep because VHCC is a top notch place to attend. Especially if you are still not sure about majors and it is a lot more affordable. So yes, my overall opinion on VHCC is very positive, and i hope you can see why!

Jordan

Virginia Highlands Community College is an overall helpful environment. People are there to learn and help students when needed. VHCC does the best it can to make sure it’s students can succeed and transfer successfully to different universities to complete their bachelors.

Aslynn

Virginia Highlands Community College is an excellent school. However, it was a bit hard at first because I came from Russell county instead of Washington county. Students were nice and took their education seriously. Most teachers were willing to help and always keep in contact, however there are a few who are bias and have little to no contact with students who were not from the Washington county area schools. I do recommend this community college to anyone who needs a simple start or a do over in their education. Me being one of those people who didn't do as well their first semester of college, was welcomed back with no questions asked to fix my mistakes and further my education.

This college is an amazing educational opportunity for local students who don’t want to have the burden of student debt. Not only is it affordable, but the teachers genuinely care about their students and provide us education to the best of their ability. It’s a safe environment and a good place to be.

Isabella

Virginia Highlands Community College is a great place to start your college career off. There are smaller class sizes, so the learning environment is a lot more personal. The introductory classes that are offered (in my experience) have very helpful teachers who are genuinely interested in helping the students learn the material. The counselors do a great job of making your schedule for the college/career you are working toward. It is also a smaller campus, so it's easy to find your next classes and get to them without walking very far. Obviously, with it being a small college, there really isn't any housing and there is a limited amount of extra curriculars like sports or clubs. Overall, VHCC is a great place to go for your introductory classes and to ease into the college lifestyle before attending a 4-year university.

Molly

It’s a very friendly school and always have had a great atmosphere. All the students at Virginia Highlands Community College are very welcoming and will greet you even if they do not know you. Class sizes are average, so you are able to connect with the professors not like you would on a larger campus. Overall, VHCC is a great college.