Bristol, VA
Virginia Intermont College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Intermont College

If I can go back in time as a high school senior, I would give myself as many advices as possible. For instance, I would of taken very challenging courses that would help prepare myself for college to see how the lectures, note taking, and even the homework would be. I would of encouraged myself to take advance placement (A.P) courses that would look really well on my transcipts and already earn college credit. I would also advice myself to join clubs, community programs, and participate to extracurricular activities such as Marching Band or play in a sports to be very energetic and active. The advice I would definitely tell myself is to get all of the requirements needed to attend to a University because although it is quite expensive, I would of pursued my major interest onto the University that I wanted to go to and continue my education. I believe that I've done great when I was a high school senior. As of now I am currently enrolled in East Los Angeles College and participating in the STEM program (Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics) to pursue my educational and future goal in Neuroscience and Neuroanatomy.

Susan

Small town atmosphere that makes one feel welcomed.

Small town atmosphere that makes one feel welcomed.

I know that your biggest concern is finances but I want to encourage you not to let what you really desire, be hindered by lack of resources. College will give more into your life than if you never pursued your dream. You need to seek guidance from those who have knowledge in obtaining the resources you are lacking. You only asked your Dad, who had a negative attitude towards the importance of a college education, instead of seeking others who would have guided you. But I want to encourage you to take the steps necessary in pursuing this dream one step at a time. If you look at the whole mountain it can seem impossible to climb but actually the transition to obtain the goal is not as hard as it seems. Obtaining an education will help you in making difficult decisions in life, and it will give you better insight and coping skills. When you are pushed beyond your own comfort zones, as you will be, you will discover who you really are. My advice to you is, go for it, and don’t let fear stop you! You won’t regret it!

Therese

The best part about VI is the way that the students, faculty, and staff all interact with each other on campus. Yes VI is a small school and people tend to get involved in other people's business, but we are such a close knit community and we are all so close that those little disagreements tend to resolve themselves quickly. The Quad is one area of campus that is almost always crowded. During the spring and summer events will be held there and people will be out working on homework, tanning, enjoying a game of frisbee, soccer, or football and in the winter it is not uncommon for there to be people making snowmen, having snowball fights, and enjoying sledding behind the dorm buildings. Sometimes the school's administration can make judgments that us students do not see has being best for the school. One of VI's enduring facets is its historical aspect and its creativity. Our school has changed, but I do feel that the majority of the changes, however hard they were to make, were for the best. If you want to know what our school pride looks like attend a home basketball game and you will see how much the students love this school.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library is the best place to get work done, but the student center usually works well also for late night studies. Many a night I have spent there till the wee hours of the morning working on essays. I work there when I'm tired because the bright lights and other people tend to keep me awake and able to focus.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Originally a photography major, VI excels in that major. I then switched to Equine and pre-vet and once again I found VI at the top of the field in these areas. I loved the small class size and the closeness of the community. It is easy to stand out at VI and there is plenty to get involved in that will grow your resume and impress any grad school or job you apply to.

Some typical stereotypes are the equestrians, some are art kids, some are athletes, and some are all of these. We are such a small school that everyone will know everyone and all of us hang out together. While everyone has their own clique we are so close that none of us tend to stay within the same clique all the time.

Lydia

A fun, interesting, interactive experience that impact the rest of your life.

A fun, interesting, interactive experience that impact the rest of your life.

What's unique about VI is that it truly feels like a family. Though it is not perfect by any means, the staff and the students work closely together and everyone genuinely cares about each other. The close student-professor relationship is what truly makes a difference. I love the small campus and the location of the college - Bristol is "A Good Place to Live".

First of all, do not worry, because everything happens for a reason. What is important about the college experience is finding yourself and making yourself happy, not anybody else. Do what you want to do, what you feel is right. It's ok if you have no idea what you want to do in life - seriously, almost everyone considers (and switches) their major once or twice. Be you. Be honest and true. Never give up on what you want or hold dear, and don't let anyone or anything convince you to be someone you are not. You were created for a purpose and though this is a big step, you are never alone in life. In college, you are independent are free, so step up to the plate and be responsible, because I know you can do it! Nothing is impossible when you believe.

Salonia

My classmates are extremely friendly and accepting, and the access and involement of my classmates in the varied clubs and organizations on campus is outstanding.

My school is best known for its equestrian program, but the photography, art, theatre, and athletic departments are very strong as well.

If I were still a high school senior, first of all, I would tell myself to get an earlier jump on college and scholarship applications. The earlier I would have gotten started, the more opportunities you have. Second of all, I would advise myself, as an incoming freshman, to get myself as involved as possible in campus activities. Usually, it is a good idea to get involved and get to know more people on campus. That way I would have more of an opportunity to make lifelong friends. Lastly, I would tell myself to be myself, no matter what others thought. That is the most imprortant part. Usually, there are people out there trying to the same thing. That's where true friends are found. I would write myself a new motto: "If they have a problem with me, then that's their problem."

Michelle

The Equine Program. This is what first attracted me to the school in the first place. The Equine Studies degree is well-rounded, rather than focsuing on a specific aspect of the industry like most other schools offering some form of an Equine degree.

I grew-up in a small town in Northeast CT- about 1800 people total. My family would vacation in Maine and Florida, but I'd never lived anywhere except that same small town. When I was deciding where I was going to attend college, I was a little hestitant to move too far away. I distinctly remember my mom telling me,"The world is SOO much bigger than this area." So, I moved 750 miles away to attend college. Moving from the Northeast to the South was an interesting experience in itself, and it was this move that has given me a drive to experience the rest of the world. Before coming to college, I'd never been out of the country, but now, thanks to a trip partially sponsered by my school, I've been to the Domincan Republic and Haiti. I'm also planning on studying abroad in Germany this coming May. Having been given the chance to taste these different cultures has given me a hunger to see even more of the world. I honestly believe I would have been content to live in the same small town if I had never left home to attend college.

I love that the campus community is so small. I'd like to see it busier at times, but it's great to know almost everybody at least by face. Also, the professors know you by name. I think this makes it significantly easier to get engaged in class discussions or to approach a professor when you're sturggling with any of the class work.

Justin

I think the thing I have gotten the most out of my education is a sense of belonging. I am new to the area and everyone, teachers and students alike really do their best to make everyone feel welcome. Over half of the teachers go out of their way just to say hello to every student they pass by, whether they know them or not.

I brag about how beautiful the place is. While it is pretty worn down I have not seen a single picture of this place that shows it. Since photography is one of the schools two big majors that is a pretty good thing.

The school is a Liberal Arts based school so you have to take a lot of core classes that can very well have nothing to do with your intended major.

Cassie

The professors are great along with the student body. It is old and if you like the a historic type of school it is perfect. It has a lot of character and majority are friendly. However since the recent resignation of the president there has been tension and professors have been let go. However, two of the professors that were let go decided to stay because they have a passion for their students and wanted to continue their education even with no pay.

It has been one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I have just enough freedom but still looked over by overseers to make sure that I do not make mistakes. I have learned a great deal and I wish it had been like this since high school. I have met some of the greatest people that I will never forget. They have made an impact on my life and even if we get split up by the school's financial situations we will always have each other in our hearts. The professors made me realize who I really am and how big of heart I have. Because of them I intend on working in the Social Work department or Psychology department and incorporating my knowlege with my other passion horses to teach responsibility to troubled teenagers and help the disabled have the courage to love a large 1000 pound creature.

I hate to say it but I wish I knew that the buildings were in such bad shape and the financial issues were so upsetting. The news of the school coming close to closing and 40 faculty members have been upsetting to the whole campus. Majority are now transferring.

Aleesa

A small, close knit community where just about everyone is known by face if not as well as by name.

If I had the ability to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior about the college process and transition I believe I would be a little better off now. The main thin I would tell myself is to start earlier with everything. I would make sure that I had applied to a lot more scholarships than I did, and to hand them in well in advance of the deadline. I would also tell myself to start saving for the equipment and books needed during the school year, if not before as opposed to just during the summer. About the transition between high school and college, I would tell myself to start spending as much time with the people I loved and cared about as possible because I wasn?t going to be able to see them for a long time. I would also tell myself to keep in touch with friends form high school while away, but at the same time not be afraid of getting new friends at college.

The dinning hall hours dont cater well with the student activities such as work-study and returning late from the barn.

Lindsay

The advice I would give to myself would be to work on my time management skills because that is a skill that is very important in college. I find it very hard sometimes to find time to do work and if I had worked on this skill in high school, I might of had a easier time with finding time to do my school work.

Someone who wants to be in a small campus where everyone knows just about everyone. This school is also a big equine and photo majors.

How unorgaized the business office is.

Virginia Intermont College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.