Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Honestly, it almost looks like a medieval-castle-bunker tucked within the lush appalachian mountains. All the buildings are made of "Hokie Stone"- a gray stone mined from within Blacksburg itself, giving the buildings a bit of a castle-like appearance. However, the school is abundant with beautiful trees and gardens, which really provide a stunningly stark contrast to the buildings, painting an overall beautiful campus. It's a pretty large campus, with probably around 50 different buildings, but once you find your way around, it's really easy to navigate throughout. The best part about the school though is the students who occupy it- everyone is unique, with almost-infinitely different styles and interests. However, there is one common link between all students: happiness. Almost everyone I see walking around is always in a good mood, and thats a great thing to see. Smiles are contagious, and that couldn't be more evident here at VT.

My school is one of the most spirited schools in the country. By the end of everyone's freshman year, their closets are full of maroon and orange. Us hokies are very proud to tell anyone where we graduated from! The campus is beautiful and the food far exceeded my expectations. Anyone would be very happy to go to Virginia Tech, unless you just absolutely hate huge classes. The people are very friendly and we all seem to stick together because we are hokies! Once football season rolls around, the competition around here is fierce!

Picture Hogwarts with mountains surrounding it. And instead of a Quidditch pitch, there’s the Drill Field where the Corps of Cadets, well, run drills. That’s what Virginia Tech looks like. Every building (well almost, there are some that were constructed in years which the administration felt a different style was necessary) is constructed of “Hokie Stone,” which gives the campus a castle-like feel. It’s truly something you need to experience for yourself.

Virginia Tech is an oustanding school academically and is highly research oriented with a variety of extracirrcular activities and warm social life; it has a pretty campus and beautiful surrounding mountains, but the area has little to offer in terms of cultural activites such as music and arts which leads to a very drinking oriented student body - but there's plenty in the way of hiking and outdoor activites in the area.

The phrase that describes my school is their motto “Ut Prosim”. This Latin term means “that I may serve”. As a Hokie, we care for everyone and everything. Something special about my school is that we have organizations for numerous causes. No matter what problem, Hokies look to help society whether it is through individual planning or volunteering. Hokies are probably the most affectionate people.

Virginia Tech is the one of the nicest places I have ever been. Most people are very kind and willing to help you with anything you may need. My favorite part is when people hold doors open for me; back at home, I never get that when I am out at malls or restaurants. It always surprises me how uncaring people can be. But VT is the opposite; Tech is my home away from home.

Virginia Tech is an awesome school that operates more like a family than a school in the sense that everyone is so nice and friendly and there are so many ways to get involved, get out there and meet new people. It is a community that I am proud to be a member of! LET GO HOKIES!

The one word that most easily defines Virginia Tech is community: Following the tragedy experienced here four years ago, the people who populate the campus have become much more than just students and professors, but have become a family, all united within the Hokie spirit.

Virginia Tech has something to offer for everyone: award-winning faculty and dining; two fitness halls fitted to the brim with exercise equipment and indoor gyms and pools; over 600 extracurricular clubs and organizations; and a nightlife filled with music and festivities.

Virginia Tech is a school where one can receive an amazing education, become involved in meaningful service projects and volunteer organizations, and make bonds and relationships that teach lessons that will be valuable in the workplace and life in general.