Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Virginia Tech is best known for its Hokie spirit! Whether this spirit is in the classroom or on the field, Hokies are always upbeat and enthusiastic about supporting their school. Professors encourage and excite students to go beyond their teaching and foster unwavering curiosity. Students take their passions beyond the classroom and put energy into activities and programs that are specific to their goals. The Hokie spirit comes alive in Lane Stadium during football season as current students unite with alumni to cheer and motivate the team to victory. Hokie spirit is a learned attribute that never leaves the soul.

I believe Virginia Tech is best known for its excellent academics and Hokie pride. Virginia Tech has one of the nation?s best engineering and architecture program and is a strong science school, too. The Hokie pride held in the hearts of everybody that passes through the doors of Virginia Tech is undeniable. Students and faculty alike know that orange and maroon really do match. The pride and spirit of Virginia Tech resounds everywhere, in both football games at Lane Stadium and General Chemistry classes where students are called upon to lead cheers during the class.

Virginia Tech is not only a school of great academics and flourishing research, but also a place filled with the most school spirit ever. Home of the Hokie Bird, in the heart of Blacksburg, VA, each and everyday walking around campus one can see countless people doting the ?Chicago maroon and burnt orange? colors. From ?Enter the Sandman? jumping at football games, to the gobbling of the Hokie, this immeasurable amount of spirit held by students, faculty, alumni, families and many more shows the true love for this university and how great of a place Virginia Tech is.

Unfortunately, Virginia Tech is most known for the horrific series events that occurred on April 16, 2007. Underneath the sorrowful cloud that has blanketed many outsider perceptions, Virginia Tech is a University blessed with passionate group of faculty and students. Together, we form an inseparable community of hardworking, passionate, and caring individuals. It was this tight-knit community that initially attracted me to Virginia Tech. I believe that the infectious sense of community among the University is a true point of definition for Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech is best known for the school spirit of the students. Football and other sports games are like holidays to students and everyone comes out to support our team. No matter what race, religion, or ethnicity a student is, everyone comes together as one to cheer on the team. Alumni also take pride in the school's sporting events and often come back to the university to support the team as well. The school spirit of Virginia Tech is my favorite part of this university. Spirit brings people closer together and helps support the school as well.

A couple of years ago I would say that my school is best known for our FOOTBALL! Unfortunately, our name is now nationally and internationally known due to the Virginia Tech Massacre. While it took some time for me to accept the fact that mentioning "VT" to anyone could result in the thought or subject of 4/16, I quickly learned that this infamousness was a blessing in disguise. There is a bigger sense of pride and unity here than ever, and the culture of the town has been expanding rapidly. What once was tragic, now is beautiful. GO HOKIES!

Sadly, in recent years, I feel like Virginia Tech is well known for the horrible events of April 16th and more recent deaths as well. The community of Blacksburg is also very supportive to students and the comfort offered is breathtaking and, to be honest, downright inspiring. I have never seen a more tightly knit community than that formed between Virginia Tech and the surrounding Blacksburg area. It is that sense of community that helps all of us to remain strong even in the face of something as horrible as what happened on April 16th.

Virginia Tech is known for the close community attitude that unites the entire campus. During my first visit I was blown away by the vibrance and enthusiasm of the student body and the awesome pride that is so evident. We are also recognized for our respectful students, sportsmanship, and prestigious academics. This is the home of the top architecture school in the nation and our food is award winning. However, we are best known for our spirit and compassion that make each and everyone of us a Hokie, now and always.

My school is best known for intense school spirit and inclusion. At Virginia Tech students look out for other students, because it is like we are one big hokie family. Even after graduating, in the job market hokies will go out of their way for fellow hokies. I love that I am a part of a big organization that will follow me long after I graduate. Also we are known for our strong academics and community service with our motto being ?Ut Prosim? meaning ?that I may serve.?

My school is best known for its ACC standing as well as sports, in particular football. The campus atmosphere is crazy when a touchdown is made or even a victory. The football at my school is a big deal and enjoying it either in the stands of the stadium or in the dorm lounges is the best ever. I have so much pride for my school for having strength, focus, and concentration not only in the classroom but on the field as well.