Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

As a transfer student at Virginia Tech, it is apparent to me the strong sense of community the university has fostered--moreso than other schools. Although the student population is around 25,000, the only time you are able to tell the sheer size is crossing the drillfield. Professors and university staff are friendly, accessible, and understanding. There are plenty of ways to get involved, and great people to meet. This is the only place I have been where students will come up to you and start random conversation. Virginia Tech is a great place to find your niche.

The Virginia Tech community was the deciding factor for my college decision. Virginia Tech is located in the small town of Blacksburg, VA in the mountains of southwest Virginia. The buildings on campus are made of Hokie Stone which provides a beautiful and unique look. The campus is always full of friendly students engaging in outdoor games. As a student, professors are concerned about academic success but more importantly success in life. Professors are more than willing to sit down with students to discuss career goals and provide assistance to accomplish goals.

This school provides the best of both worlds. It has an outstanding level of spirity and character, through our amazing football team and corresponding school spirit, and the superior finance programs that I am enrolled in. (CFA and Investment Management track, CFP Certification Education Track) There are endless extra-cirricular activities to partake in, and a great sense of community and friendship involved in every-day activites. The campus is beautiful, well maintained, and it feels safe; evean after the tradgedy that struck our campus on April 16th.

Virginia Tech is a unique place. The stunning landscape surrounding the beautiful campus only adds to its grandeur. There is an aura that resides in the air in Blacksburg promoting positiveness, interaction, and success. Being at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University is the only valid choice once you have visited the school. The Hokie community will take you in and guide you in your quest for greatness in a way unlike any other university can. Lifelong friends and a successful future await all hokies on the road to graduation.

I also attended Old Dominion University for one semester and the biggest difference I noticed between it and Virginia Tech is that the sense of community I had loved at Tech didn't exist at ODU. VT is a much bigger school but it doesn't feel that way. The professors are readily available to talk and it takes practically no effort to get an appointment with an advisor; at ODU I felt like I was inconveniencing teachers to even email them. Virginia Tech is simply a much more friendly place and the Hokie pride is infectious.

When I go back home, every one of my friends from other colleges have told me that they wish they could spend a year wtih me at Tech. They tell me that I look like I'm having the time of my life and they are extremely jealous. They have seen pictures from me going hiking, caving, in downtown Blacksburg, swimming, jumping off cliffs, and playing sports. Not only does this school have so much to offer, btu the area surrounding it has just as much. No other school has a surrounding area like Virginia Tech does.

After living in an urban area for most of my life, I wanted a change of scenery when I go to college. In Virginia, every college is located in a high populated city, except Virginia Tech. Located near the lower west corner of Virginia, Tech is built on over 2,000 acres of land. This is prefect for admiring mother ature. Also, Virginia Tech is number one public food. This is important because as a college student, it is necessary to maintain a balance diet to perform well on test and other assignments.

At Virginia Tech, everyone is amazingly kind. People are very easy to talk to here and it's also very easy to make friends. Also, Tech is very good for people looking for a minstry as Tech provides that as well. Being part of one of the ministries, Disciples on Campus, I've seen an incredible amount of devotion to God and really living out the Bible here, not to mention the amount of kindness and love they also have! Overall, the people are wonderful and always willing to be there for you.

The atmosphere at Virginia Tech is the best out of any school I visited. Almost everyone has school spirit and is proud to represent and cheer for their school. I have never met a person at VT that doesn't like the school, and I have never had that response regarding any other university. I get stopped in the street by alumni who are so happy to talk about their experiences when they went to school. Virginia Tech and it's school spirit fosters a great community.

Virginia Tech is a giant school, but it feels extremely personal. I never feel "lost in the crowd" at Tech because everyone is very welcoming and open. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful and the hokie stone is very unique. Also, the food at Tech is better than anywhere else in the country. Compared to other schools, Tech has a more unified and spirited student body, more extracurricular activities, and an overall better education.