Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Top Questions

Wynne

There are a few cows but it's definitely not a farm town!

Kelly

Yes

Kate

I think that what I had heard ended up being completely accurate

Andy

Probably not.

Some of them are! We are very laid back, but some of us bust our butts here at school. You get out of it what you put in. We definitely know how to party, but I wouldn't call us a "party school". I have never felt pressured to go out, or that drinking was the only social outlet. We have a huge alumni network and we are just one big family. Once a Hokie, always a Hokie.

Andy

Yes.

Meg

I don't think so. I see people from all walks of life. Everyday on campus I hear people talking on cell phones in different languages. Yes overall it's a fairly clean cut, preppish environment but it's not like VT doesn't have a mixture of everyone.

Dana

The stereotype about Tech being a place solely for engineering is completely false. Males do comprise most of the Tech population but it is not nerdy engineering guys. And yes, Tech students are OBSESSED with Hokie football and will always be die hard fans.

Caitlin

yea i think soo

Chris

No!

Mel

No

Alex

no

laura

No, definitely not.

Kristin

No I think every student at Virginia Tech is very different

Katherine

This is TOTALLY untrue. Hokie Respect- enough said.

Katie

No! Of course there are these groups, especially in greek life, but there are such a wide range of people here and coming from New York I think it's even more diverse than my high school was!

Catie

For the most part, students love football and there's nothing really else to do on campus on football days; people always go to class in Hokie clothes, and VT students are seen as more "chill" and laid-back when compared to students at other schools

Carolyn

To an extent this is true. BUT a few rural kids make for a far more low key, far less snobby student body, and its big enough that you can really find any type of people you like.

Caitlin

Yes

Amy

ABSOLUTELY....except the redneck part. Virginia Tech has ever social aspect of a big city school with a home town feel.

No! I think that all of the students at VT are well-rounded and diverse.

Kai

There is a lot of partying but not anymore than at another school and when people have school work they don't party. Most people forget in the stereotype that students are very balanced.

This is what I perceive about the school, don't know any negative stereotypes

We have parties, but thats not all we do. I've never experienced hostility. Duh.... are rival is UVA its always been that way!

Blake

NOPE

Shelley

Of course not! The amazing thing about Virginia Tech is how many people are around to be there for you and it leaves so many opportunities to join other organizations and meet tons of people.

No, not at all - - a lot of people are from the south, but there is a huge out of state portion

Corinne

yes

Kristina

Yes I believe there is a large amount of students that support the athletes, but their is also a good amount of student who are involved in other activites

Amy

Unfortunately, looking at the actual statistics they are indeed true.

Lindsey

-YES!

Jamie

We do have our hicks and we do have our greek snobs, but that does not exemplify the majority of the population.

Lindsay

YES!

Caroline

there definately are a lot of engineers, and asians, and agriculture students

Laura

I would say both are true, but not in a negative way. Our school is very diverse. We do have great engineering and agriculture programs here at VT. However, there is so much more than that. It is a truly amazing school, with a lot to offer.

Rebecca

fairly

Nope. I had no interest in UVA

Alex

to some extent yes

When it comes to hokie spirit, absolutely. A campus full of boring engineers??NO WAY! There is a diverse and amazing group of people here, with a wide variety of interests and majors. And the engineers I have come to know during my time here are anything but boring. They are just as involved and social as any other student.

Alex

yes?

Nancy

Absolutely not-- there is diversity at Tech- I am involved in many different activities and a sorority and continue to meet new groups of people constantly who have different interests. The class sizes gradually decrease in size as you become more concentrated in your major. Lastly, we are not stuck up, it's just a lot of school spirit and pride.

christy

yes

Natalie

to some people

I say for some, but not on a whole

Sasha

The drunk part is accurate for the most part. And rednecks...some of the students, but then I am from NY and everyone not in NY or NJ is a redneck to me.

Alex

These stereotypes are definitely brought from the shadows of Tech's reality. Sure, there are Engineers and Animal Science majors that roam across the drill field like everyone else, but they don't fall under these above mentioned extremes. Architecture and Biology parallel the popularity of the Engineer and Animal Science majors, and as for the clothing style and mannerisms of the student body, I would say we would fall on the scale as your average all-around good guys.

Dawson

Not really. I mean, most college students have lots of fun with alcohol and people just kind of accept that. i think that the people here are brilliant in their own ways sometimes and aren't always clear with others. Others i think are really book smart but lack the common sense to actually apply it.

Regan

Ok, yes. We do have quite a fair share of your classic, fun-loving southern guys; drinking is pretty common; and football - come on, it's what we live for! If you're daring enough to enter into the world of Engineering, Architecture or Pre-vet, yeah, you're going to have work. A lot of it. But even though we complain and complain, it's really not terrible. As for the Virginia Tech t-shirts, don't worry if you don't own any now - you'll get some. You really don't even have to bring clothes with you when you move in. Really. They give away free/cheap t-shirts all the time. And we all wear them. All the time. It's awesome!

Candice

We do have some "country" students, but it's good to be diverse. We definitely have something for everyone. You can never have enough school spirit. It's not easy to get into VT; last year they didn't take a single student off of the wait-list.

Crystal

Despite VT's settings in a rural area, I don't claim these stereotypes to be 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} true. There are some students that are from rural backgrounds and the school does have a college dedicated to Agricultural studies; however, a majority of students come from Northern Virginia, Richmond, or Tidewater Area---areas that aren't necessarily rural. We're also ranked pretty high in the nation for academics in architecture, agriculture, and engineering.