Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Though we are located in Southwest Virginia, the majority of the population is from Richmond or Northern Virginia. This is not to say there aren't a fair amount of southern folks, but nowhere near a majority. There are also many students who come from Northern states like PA and NJ. As for the obsession with football- true.

Not really. I mean, most college students have lots of fun with alcohol and people just kind of accept that. i think that the people here are brilliant in their own ways sometimes and aren't always clear with others. Others i think are really book smart but lack the common sense to actually apply it.

Not at all. I have met many people who have many interests and who i would not consider nerds. Also I myself am not wealthy so that isn't true. Lastly stereotypes about the attractiveness of students are completely relative, of course there are many different kinds of people.

This is NOT true...come to Tech and you'll find yourself surrounded by NOVA, Richmond, Va beach and kids from other states. This isn't to say that there are no students here from rural areas but the Hokie population is by no means made up of a rural majority.

I don't think so. I see people from all walks of life. Everyday on campus I hear people talking on cell phones in different languages. Yes overall it's a fairly clean cut, preppish environment but it's not like VT doesn't have a mixture of everyone.

We do have some "country" students, but it's good to be diverse. We definitely have something for everyone. You can never have enough school spirit. It's not easy to get into VT; last year they didn't take a single student off of the wait-list.

I would say both are true, but not in a negative way. Our school is very diverse. We do have great engineering and agriculture programs here at VT. However, there is so much more than that. It is a truly amazing school, with a lot to offer.

Not necessarily. People who come to Virginia Tech work hard to be here and chose to be here, therefore if there are many Caucasian students, then they worked equally as hard as anyone else to attend such a great school.

No, about 33% of our students come from Northern Virginia, which is certainly not rural and "hick." A lot of the freshmen are not bound by a sense of community, like we saw last year at this same school.

No! Of course there are these groups, especially in greek life, but there are such a wide range of people here and coming from New York I think it's even more diverse than my high school was!