Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Top Questions

Taylor

Challenging yet rewarding

Jonathan

Blacksburg bleeds maroon and orange. I may have questioned the students’ devotion to the university before coming to Blacksburg, but I sure don’t question it now. School pride is off the charts and many Hokies will subsequently argue the school is the best in various aspects such as food, outdoor activities, football, sportsmanship, and scenery. I never had any school pride before attending Virginia Tech but now I safely put myself among those who think the college is amazing. Although a very large school, I felt safe in a small major, and really felt like the school catered to my needs. Well, except my need to park within twenty minutes of my destination. Parking really is atrocious at Tech and the surrounding town. There were a few times during the school year when it would take me twenty minutes just to settle on a spot thirty minutes away. My grade definitely suffered because of this inconvenience. Another unfortunate aspect about going to VT is the remembrance of the 4/17/2007 massacre. Whenever I tell someone new I am meeting that I go to Virginia Tech, I am met with a grimace and a wondering of how life goes on over there. It becomes quite annoying to have to deal with all that pity instead of the focus being on successes that Virginia Tech has enjoyed. The university has done tremendously in landscaping, leading to one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever seen. There is nothing quite like laying on the drillfield and looking up at the sun setting below the gorgeous Hokie stone. And there is nothing quite like jumping along to Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” while the Hokies take the field for their huge annual nationally televised Thursday night ACC battle. And nothing quite like eating an upside-down burger at Mike’s, or the ring dance, or karaoke at TOTS, or cosmic bowling at Squires, or fireworks over the drillfield.

Lucas

I am majoring, Human, Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise. With my major there are four options and I am pursuing the science option. I am also minoring in French. Now that I am pass the general education classes I am enjoying my classes more and more. My in major classes are all science related such as: Biology, Biochemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, and Organic chemistry. In comparison to my French classes which are about ten to twenty students most of my science classes are quite a bit larger, averaging about 400 students. I do not like this because it makes the class very impersonal and difficult to ask questions. It is possible however, my favorite professor, Dr. Maggie Bump is my organic chemistry teach and she has discovered how to appeal to practically every type of way a student may prefer being taught even in class of 400. She goes above a beyond the call as a professor by having plenty of office hours, a time to have lunch with her, review sessions, etc. Not all, in fact, most teachers unfortunately do not teach with such zeal as professor Bump. My laboratory classes (which I take about two each semester) are usually led my a graduate student who could care less about our grades. Many professors I have had for biology or chemistry are not solely teachers but also do research, and it is obvious when their desire is more geared towards doing research by their lack of aid teaching students the material. The atmosphere among the students is quite competitive and this leads to a healthy want to achieve excellence in our courses. With the vast amount of resources available, such as tutoring, the library, and study rooms this competition leads to a good use of said facilities. My advisors with my major do an incredible job to keep me on track with my course scheduling and even with guiding me towards what I am passionate about. There is no excuse for a student to have no idea what options they have as the resources and help is abundant.

Lucas

Type your answer here

Bryauna

I don't want to jinx myself but the classes I take are not hard at all. I think it all depends on your major. Architecture is number one in the nation and Engineering is up there as well, so those classes are definitely hard.

The academics at Tech are wonderful. The most talked about majors at Virginia Tech are engineering, architecture and business. While I had many friends in these majors, I had an academic experience at Virginia Tech very different from most students. I majored in English (concentrated in Professional Writing). The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences is very small at Virginia Tech but I found that to be a positive aspect of the college. Going to a school with 35,000 plus students, it was nice to get a "small school" feel in the English department. I was very close with many of my professors, unlike some of my outside major classes where I genuinely felt like a number in the classroom. I am confident that the education I received at Virginia Tech and the connections I made with professors in the English department will aid me in jump-starting my career. I know from talking with friends that the business school as well as architecture and engineering schools are no-nonsense. You will be very busy and you will have tons of work. However, each of my friends who majored in business and engineering graduated with jobs lined up, so the work definitely pays off.

Kristin

If you go to office hours and meet your professors, you will find that class becomes more personal and enjoyable, no matter how big the size. It's good to establish a relationship with your professors because that could very well come in handy down the line when it comes to needing reference letters, or even for a final grade. They will know who you are and that you are interested and willing to put in the effort for their class, and they will take that into consideration. I am a Spanish major (and adding Communications as well to complement it this year) and a Professional Writing minor. My teachers know my name and it really does make all the difference. If you estrange yourself from them or their class, you really won't get much out of it all, and the professors will certainly see that. So go introduce yourself! I promise they don't all bite. The most unique class I've taken so far has been a 3,000 person class called World Regions. It's actually famous at Tech, and on the official Hokie Bucket list of things to do. The professor is crazy and extremely passionate about current world events. It was held once a week and was like an educational comedy show. Everybody loves it, there are no papers involved, and best of all- you actually learn stuff and it's enjoyable! My favorite class so far has been a 10-person one called Spanish for Oral Proficiency. It's just what it sounds like- pure speaking. It was pass/fail and all we did was speak Spanish totally- we did skits, told stories every day, had conversations, and played games. Since there were only 10 of us, we all got to know each other and the professor, which made class much more entertaining. It was just fun and didn't even feel like a class. The education at Tech is geared towards the students' success after graduation. There are many job fairs and resources made available for students through Career Services. Hokies hire Hokies, so there are definitely jobs available for Tech's intelligent students.

Laura

It really depends on what you decide to major in. I was an English major, which is one of the smaller departments at Tech. Most of my professors and teachers knew my name, and often I had the same professor for more than one class. Everyone kind of studies at their own pace. I generally tried to study and do homework for at least a couple hours a day, but one of my roommates literally spent her entire day doing school work. My roommates were Biology majors, and their classes were much larger and a little less personal. But they always told me that, even though their professors may not have known them personally, they knew they could always go to office hours and get the help they needed. Professors are always more than willing to help out in any way they can if a student takes the initiative to come to them. If you're in a class of 400 and you're worried about blending in, don't be afraid to speak to your professor afterward or during office hours. They'll appreciate your effort, and they'll be more likely to remember you and help you out in the future. My English major friends and I loved to have nerdy discussions outside of class, especially if we were taking a class that we particularly liked. Everyone kind of develops personalities and stereotypes based on their majors. My friends used to say "You're such an English major," every time I corrected their grammar, and friends in Architecture talked about every building we walked into. In college, studying and being smart isn't nerdy anymore. Everyone's there for the same reason, and you gain more respect for doing well and speaking up in class. Don't be that kid though - don't raise your hand every single time the professor asks a question, and don't be a know-it-all. Some students are pretty competitive, but the competition I found was normally on a personal level. My best friend and I were both English majors, and especially in our Literature and the Law class, we often found ourselves comparing our grades - he did better on the quizzes, but my papers were always better. (Turns out we both aced the final and got A minuses in the class.) Some classes are career-oriented, and others are more just learning for learning's sake. But if you're serious about finding a job after you graduate, there are plenty of people on campus to help you out with it. Professors are always willing to help students discuss their future, and Career Services also offers a ton of help. The most unique class I ever took was the Harry Potter Phenomenon. We got to read every book, watch every movie, and have really interesting (and fun) discussions.

Kendall

Even though it may seem overwhelmingly big, Tech still seriously retains the small classroom feel. As an incoming freshman, you will have those big lecture hall classes, with over 600 students. Even in my freshman psychology class of 620 students, I was able to walk up and introduce myself to my professor. He remembered my name for the rest of the semester and when I was having trouble with a concept in prep for our final exam I was able to meet with him and he was incredibly helpful. I am an English and Spanish Major, so I have two advisors, both of whom I find crucial to my student career. They are so helpful when I am planning classes, and when I said I wanted to study abroad they were supportive and did everything they could to ensure I would get the necessary credits to graduate on time. I am currently studying abroad in Spain, and will come home with over 12 credits toward my Spanish Major. I have always been able to meet with Professors one on one at Tech, and when they get to know you it becomes much easier to understand what is expected of you. The Professors at Tech really take the time to make sure they know your name, and if you put in the effort to meet with them, it is so worth it! Although students are competitive in the classroom there are so many times when we help each other. Wether it is in study groups before exams, or discussing class concepts in the hallways, there is always someone there who is willing to help out. Tech encourages students to take classes that interest them, while at the same time helping them choose career paths that fit those interests. I have many friends who have taken classes at their advisor's suggestion and later changed their major option to fit their newfound passions.

Jay

The academic knowledge I have gained at Virginia Tech has been unique and extremely valuable. Many universities may simply ask you to learn and absorb- Virginia Tech challenges this adage. Virginia Tech professors present their material in a way so that students do not simply "sponge" lectures, but rather take the knowledge given to them, find their own understanding, and apply it to their immediate world. A intellectual body of 30,000 students pushes one another to be their absolute best, and to compete to their fullest. Teachers are extremely wise and knowledgable in their subjects of choice, and are almost always willing to offer additional help to students in need. Help is also offered by many other sources, including help sessions, tutors, study groups, academic enrichment centers, and much more. No matter your major, there is assistance available. Virginia Tech is an esteemed school, and offers a cornucopia of majors to choose from; job possibilities out of this school are boundless. Classes within the school are overall very fair and easy to follow, and we offer a class for almost every interest a student could have. Some of our most interesting classes include World Regions (a modernized, 3,000 person geography class about global regions, leaders, politics, and culture), Mysterious Mushrooms and Malicious Molds (an inside look to many of the mysterious fungi that grow and thrive in our environment), and Brewing (a class where students learn to brew their own beer, learn about the history of brewing, and about the ingredients and flavors that go into creating beers.) The academics at VT are second-to-none and I personally know that I am learning more here than I would anywhere else.

Carey

Do professors know your name? Class is what you make of it. Some class sizes can be quite large, especially in the early years of study. This sometimes makes it harder to get involved with your professor and build relationships with them, but it is not impossible. If you participate in class and go to office hours, the professors will know who you are. It seems daunting at first but professors want to know their students. They want to see kids come into their office and ask questions and get help. These things really pay off in the end. Tell us about your favorite class. I am a total design geek, so my favorite class was Advanced Techniques in Document Design. I actually ended up helping teach the class by my senior year. Least favorite? Accounting, for obvious reasons. How often do students study? With all the students running around participating in so many events and organizations, it may be tough to believe that we take our academics very seriously and spend a lot of time studying. I would say that at least two days out of the week, Tech students hole up in the library or Math Emporium and study for hours at a time. Is class participation common? Yes. Do the students have intellectual conversations outside of class? I don’t know that you will overhear students talking about the chemical make up of the solutions they processed in lab that morning over lunch, students do meet in study groups quite often, and that is where those discussions take place. Are students competitive? Yes and no. Every person is different. The higher you go up the class rank, the more and more competitive students become. Valedictorian is decided by .001 points around here so students take that very seriously. What's the most unique class you've taken? Mysterious Mushrooms and Malicious Molds. I highly recommend it. Tell us about your major / department. I had a very unique major here at Tech. While technically I was an English major, I studied in the Professional Writing track which is combination of communication, business, marketing, and graphic design study. I still had to take all the literature classes required by the major, and I learned how to write at the professional level, but PW kids are different in that we can do it all. A jack of all trades of sorts. Studying Professional Writing prepares students for a multitude of career paths. The English department is pretty small, as are most Liberal Arts majors at a big science school, but we have a large presence on campus because we have three different types of majors: Professional Writing, Literature, and Creative Writing. Do you spend time with professors outside of class? Because my department was so small and my classes were so small, I spent a lot of time with a few of my professors. I became a teaching assistant for 3 classes my senior year and was used as a guest speaker at many freshman level classes. How do you feel about this school's academic requirements? Tech is getting hard to get into – and for good reason. VT is a great school for a great price that you just can’t beat. Obviously, there is only so much room here so competition is getting steep but that is only to make sure that the students who come here actually want to study and get a great education. Is the education at this school geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? Tech is all about making sure that its graduates get a job. There is an entire department devoted to helping students write resumes, prepare for interviews, and meet with specific advisors to coach them through the job hunt. The university puts on more than 35 job fairs for employers and students to attend each year, so we get a lot of experience going out and talking to potential employers.

Jimmy

Being an English major, all of my classes are comprised of 30 students or less; my smallest has three or four on a slow day. This allows students to form close bonds with instructors, should they so desire. I've personally used three such professors as references when I was pursuing a position at the Collegiate Times, and I'm convinced their influence was crucial in my being accepted. I'm also confident that I will be able to call upon these relationships to assist my career in the near future. This semester I've become well-versed in HTML, XML and similar languages and programs by taking "Writing for the Web" and "Creating User Documentation." I'm extremely impressed with the Professional Writing requirements within the English major here at Virginia Tech for the simple fact that including courses such as these provides real-world application of the skills we acquire, differentiating us from our peers. An example of this occurred just this morning; I coded a website for a group presentation in another class. My fellow classmates were blown away at the design, and asked how I was able to create such a site. In reality, the coding was quite basic, but the fact that I had taken these HTML courses set me light-years ahead of them in this subject matter.

Megan

Whether the classroom encompasses 30 students or 300, Virginia Tech professors are personable, intelligent, accredited, and supportive. Throughout my academic career I have experienced a wide variety of courses within my communication major, marketing minor, English minor, and multiple electives. Each course was unique, and was taught by a professor in which I will forever remember for some important aspect they taught me about academics, society, peers, family, or most importantly, my future. Class participation is incredible. I have been in lectures of 350 students where volunteers were regular, and whose responses were inspiring and simply phenomenal. It is because of these other participatory students that I have gained such confidence to participate myself, for other students thrive on the opinions and thoughts of their peers. The only exciting feeling about leaving Virginia Tech is that I am reassured each day that my future is certain. I have received incredible information from professors and peers about building my resume, cover letter, job seeking, internship seeking, graduate schools, interviewing processes, and more. More than one course actually required a resume for an assignment, where the career center service would speak to our class and help us individually in class. Virginia Tech academia has allowed me to find myself and has given me the confidence required to land a successful future career.

Jimmy

Being an English major, all of my classes are comprised of 30 students or less; my smallest has three or four on a slow day. This allows students to form close bonds with professors, should they so desire. I've personally used three such professors as references when I was pursuing a position at the Collegiate Times, and I'm convinced their influence was crucial in my acceptance. I'm also confident that I will be able to call upon these relationships to assist my career in the near future. This semester I've become well-versed in HTML, XML and similar languages and programs by taking "Writing for the Web" and "Creating User Documentation." I'm extremely impressed with the Professional Writing requirements within the English major here at Virginia Tech, for the simple fact that including courses such as these provides real-world application to the skills we acquire, differentiating us from our peers. An example of this occurred just this morning; I coded a website for a group presentation in another class. My fellow classmates were blown away at the design, and asked how I was able to create such a site. In reality, the coding was quite basic, but the fact that I had taken these HTML courses set me light-years ahead of them in this subject matter.

Emma

There is a reason you get reaction that you do when you tell people you go to Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech regarded as one of the top universities in the country. To be able to put Virginia Tech on your resume is something you work very hard for. The Professors here are among the top in the country. My comparative governmet professor had to end class three classes early because Turkey's government asked him to come speak for them at a conference. I was always told that I'd only be a number as a student at a big university. That could not be farther from the truth. My professors from last year still remember my name. Every single professor I've had I've developed some sort of relationship with. I got breakfast with one of my professors before class last week. These people love to teach and will help you out whenever you need it. The academics here are challenging but completely manageable. You're going to have to pay attention in class and you're going to have to study, but getting straight A's is very realistic if you work hard.

Tyler

Like I said in my previous post, at first when taking general classes, I didnt likehow big they were because you didnt get to really know other students, or even the professor. However, once you choose a major or minor and really get into taking classes for that, your classes get smaller and more interactive. I am a Communication major (which I LOVE), and and Engish minor at VT. My typical classes are about 20 people. It allows me to get to know my professors really well, as well as other students in my classes. All of my teachers know my name, and can name me in class. I like this because it makes me feel like not just "one in a crowd." As for what I am learning here, I really enjoy what I am doing in my major and my minor. All of my classes are relevant to "the real world" and I can see how I will use skills and information I have learned in class in my profession some day. My classes are stimulating and relevant to what I want to do as a profession, and I think the required in major and minor classes are great. They really focus on the field of study that they are in.

Jenny

As an English major, most of my classes have fewer than 30 students, and all of my professors know my name. In my experience, professors (even those teaching 100+ student Chemistry courses!) have been happy to help students by answering emails quickly and providing office hours. The most unique class I've taken at Virginia Tech would have to be "Literature and Ecology." We probably read 100 pages a week, but the reading was some of the most interesting I've ever come across, and participating in class discussions was an eye-opening experience every time. I never thought I would study the Theory of Anarchy and Herman Melville in the same course, but we did--and comparing the two was totally fascinating. Though I've loved my English classes, I did not enjoy taking math at Virginia Tech. If you're not studying a math-intensive major, you only have two take 6 hours. However, the lower-level math courses (below Engineering Calculus) are taught through the Math Emporium. The Math Empo is a large computer lab located off-campus (easily accessible by bus), where you use online math modules to teach yourself. Your math teacher is available once a week for optional review, and he or she will usually go over problems on the overhead. Additionally, Emporium employees circulate the lab during daytime hours to answer questions and help students work out problems. However, Math Empo classes demand great time-management skills and the ability to learn from an online textbook. They're do-able, but most students I've talked to don't enjoy them.

When first entering the college, you will most likely be in classrooms with hundreds of students. However, as you narrow your major down, you will be in smaller classes similar to what you were used to in highschool. The further you get in your college career, the closer you get to your teachers. The classes offered at Tech are wide and diverse. You can take a class of 3000 learning relevant news and receiving a free comedy show with Boyer's famous World Regions Class. You can even take a course on Wine Tasting. Being an English major, I really enjoyed ALL of my English courses. We tend to read alot of books that are relevant to our lives. Furthermore, we go into deep discussion about these books and I really enjoy attending these classes. I love being in the English Department--everyone is very caring, knowledgeable, and professional. I know I will keep in touch with a lot of my professors in the future. The academics here are taken seriously, but are, at the same time, enjoyable. I do not find students to be extremely competitive, though you will always find some at every school. Overall, I find Tech's academic program to be exemplar. I would recommend anyone who takes their classes seriously and enjoys a good time to come here. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else.

Chase

One of the great things about Virginia Tech is that you get the small college feel with the big university benefits. Once a student declares a major and he or she begins taking major-specific courses the classroom size shrinks, conversation within class increases, and strong professor-student and student-student relationships are formed. It makes for a great experience; the student feels more involved in the course and his or her education. It’s a wonderful feeling. Another great things about being a large university: there’s always an abundance of courses to choose from; more than you’ll know what to do with, actually. Believe me, you’ll have a hard time limiting yourself to just fifteen or eighteen credit hours. And the learning doesn’t have to stay in the classroom either. Here’s another great aspect of a large university: Virginia Tech has over 600 student organizations. These range from major related clubs to honor societies to sports clubs to Quidditch—yes, broomsticks and all. And if there isn’t a club that interests you, all you need is two other people and a faculty advisor and you can create your own! Going back to the professors though. They’re great. Every professor I’ve had has been incredibly passionate about the course they’re teaching. And that passion is infectious. It makes you enjoy the subject and the work. It makes for a great experience. Another thing: their doors are always open—virtual or realistic. They never turn down an opportunity to talk about the course or just life. And it’s all genuine. You can tell they care more about connecting with you, and being a teacher, mentor, and adviser than just about relaying their knowledge. As far as jobs go, Tech is geared toward preparing its students for the future. I get at least ten or more emails a day from my department informing me about business in the area or nationally looking for interns and part-time employees. It’s wonderful to know that the prospects for graduates aren’t as gloomy as the media paints them to be. There are myriads of opportunities, and they’re only growing. And Tech makes sure its graduates are prepared to compete and achieve in the world that awaits them.

Ryan

When I came to Virginia Tech I expected to be a number, not a name in most, if not all of my classes. Instead I found that, once you get into your major and away from the classes that all freshmen are required to take, classes become small and personal. I have forged relationships with teachers that have encouraged me to take classes with them over and over again. Even in large classes, if you go to your professors office hours and a semi-regular basis they will get to know you and can help you with anything you need. Some of my favorite classes are the workshop or discussion based classes that you can take starting sophomore year where, instead of sitting in nice neat rows facing the front of the classroom, you move the desks into a circle so everyone can see and talk to each other. In those situations everyone becomes the teacher and the actual professor is there to learn just as you are. Those types of classes promote intellectual discussion and a personal openness that I have never experienced before in an academic setting. No matter what your major, if you put in the effort, you will be rewarded with personal relationships, stimulating discussion, and unparalleled experience.

Ryan

Barbara

As an English Literature and Creative Writing major, I have a unique academic experience. Unlike many of my friends, I have very individual attention from my professors. My class sizes are fairly small, especially my creative writing classes which have been as few as twelve. My favorite class is Creative Writing: Poetry with Nikki Giovanni. Having the opportunity to be taught by such a distinguished poet as Nikki has been a great blessing. The class is offered Tuesday and Thursday at 9:30 am, which would typically be a burden for me, as I am not a morning person. However, I look forward to attending. Class participation is very common in my courses and if often factored into the grade. The most unique class I've taken is African Religions. It introduced me to a very different way of looking at the world, politics, religion, and people. The education at Virginia Tech is geared toward whatever you want to do. There are so many opportunities to get involved on campus and various career services available for students.

Kelly

I've had somewhat of a different college experience than most.. As a fourth year interior design student in the College of Architecture and Urban Studies, my years in studio have involved close, personal relationships with both my professors and classmates. With only 30 people in my graduating design class, it is impossible not to be friends. The countless hours spent together in studio has not only cultivated my level of creativity and design techniques, but formed friendships that will last forever. Though it may sound cliche, it's the honest truth.

Wynne

HARD! I went from being an AP student in high school to almost failing out my freshman year. The first year classes were really tough but once I got more into the classes in my major, I did much better and ended up even making Dean's List my last few semesters. My favorite class of all time was a wine tasting class with Bruce Z. I thought it would be an 'easy A' but there was lots of chemistry and memorization involved --but I learned a ton and really enjoyed it--especially after I switched it to a pass/fail option :-) Indoor plants was pretty neat, too, though the Latin names of plants were a bit tricky for an easy A Class!

Kelly

School is ver challenging.

The professors here actually care and will make it very easy for you to get extra help if you need it. They definitely make an effort to know your name or at least remember your face. Late night cram sessions at the Math Emporium (Club E, to a select few) involve just about everyone you know hanging out at the computer workstation all night studying together and partly socializing. It's great to have someone there you can bounce an idea off of. Even though we are competitive students, we all work together to help develop each others ideas. We want to do well, but we want to see others do well too. VT has a great academic reputation among prospective employers, so most of us aren't worried about getting a job so much as learning what we can while we are here having a good time.

Kate

I think my only complaint about VT is the lack of ability to try out different classes and really learn what you want to. My sister goes to Penn State and they are allowed to start taking classes and if they don't like them or feel it wasn't what they expected are able to drop up to 13 credits worth and take classes that begin halfway through the semester to be full time students. I think that is a great way to encourage finding your passion in life

Andy

There are a variety of classes that are taught in a variety of ways. All the professors that i have had have been easy to talk to and there for help when you need it. they seem dedicated to educating.

Academics are like Junior Varisty sports here. Everyone tries, but half of us give it 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} because we are trying to get to the next level. The coursework is competitive. Some of the classes are very large and some of the classes are very small. Some professors know you by name, and some ask for your ID number. Your major also determines how competitive school is for you here. We have very challenging progams: engineering, architecture, pre-med, finance, etc. There is a major here for anyone. You will never feel limited in your choices. Education here is neither geared towards getting a job or learning for one's one sake. Instead, our motto is Ut Prosim: "That I may serve." Our education is geared towards helping our community, country, and world; and in turn helping ourselves.

Andy

I don't think professors always know their students names but i feel that it would be difficult for them to know everyone in classes that are 100 of students big.

Meg

VT has some of the top academic programs in the country ex. Business, Engineering, and Architecture just to name a few. Tough programs that help students get great jobs.

Dana

With the larger classes (500+), it is hard for the professor to know everyone's name. THe best way to ensure that is to meet with the professor outside of class and establish a relationship more than just attending class. Professors are very flexible and will answer any question a student may have. They enjoy working with students and want to see everyone excel. Marketing is a challenging, rewarding, and interesting major. It intrigues and challenges me at the same time. I love the Business school and I know I've found my home among the colleges at Tech.

Caitlin

We have very strong academics. Of course my favorite classes have been boyer class but i think that it would be better if some teachers would takea step back from their class and understand that students have other classes

Chris

I am a biology major at tech and the course load is pretty rough for me. There is a lot of home work but you really learn a lot here. There are a lot of opportunities for research and the professors are really knowledgeable in their fields of study.

Mel

Classes can be huge your freshman year...and you will learn that you can skip class and get by. But its not worth it...teachers at tech love the students and for the most part arent out to get you...so listening to their lectures are pretty interesting. HOKIES are for life. Tech, if not anything else, has AWESOME networking all over the globe. So getting a job after college is super easy!

Alex

Academics here are good. the faculty need to concentrate on students just as much as they do research.

laura

There are some classes with hundreds of students, but teachers are very approachable even if they don't know you personally.

Kristin

Classes are usually large freshman and sophomore year. Class sizes get smaller as you get to junior and senior year. Finance has very difficult classes Students usually study-math emporioum is a big gathering every night

Katherine

Academics are very differnet then high school. Most of the major courses are huge lectures of around 300 people. But now that I have entered into specific major classes, the class sizes are getting smaller and I am getting to know more people within my own major.

Katie

Classes ange depending on your major. I am math and psychology. My math classes are small and intimate, but psych tends to be a bigger major. I have never hun gout with any of my professors outside of class but I know some other students who have. I think academically Tech is great for career preparation, which is probably the main focus. I think again it depends on major, but some professors are really awesome about making sure you are actually enjoying what youa re learning.

Catie

Professors know you by name in most of your classes; most of my classes are about 30-40 people, even when I was a freshman classes were that size! Even in the larger lecture classes, if you go to office hours once or twice, teachers will recognize you and know your name. My favorite class is my management class. The professor makes it so much fun, but inviting guests to lecture us. We had Juxtaposition (the male acapella group) come sing to our class, an author of the 'You Call the Shots', and a Coldstone Creamery owner (we all got free ice cream & coupons to Coldstone). Students are not competitive, because the atmosphere is more laid back. I love how Virginia Tech has you apply directly into your major's college when you're a senior in high school. This way you are taking classes geared towards your major when you are a freshman, instead of waiting until after your sophomore year to declare a major. I am a management/marketing double major and love the Pamplin College of business. There are so many opportunities offered, such as weekly speakers who come to the Inn at Virginia Tech and discuss topics such as dealing with finances upon graduation. In my opinion, Virginia Tech's academics is very strong.

Carolyn

First year classes can be large and impersonal. But once you get farther into your career here, classes become more intimate and teachers will know your name. Even in a large class, if a teacher doesn't know your name and you want them to. Office hours. If you take initiative here, teachers will appreciate it. You can basically be as involved or uninvolved as you like.

Kara

Vtech is known to be a large school with high academic standards. I'll tell you one thing right now, it is not easy. A student at Virginia Tech has to apply themselves every chance they get, and actually learn. They can't just coast by without trying. Large classrooms make it hard to get a personal, one on one, relationship with your teacher, BUT if you want to have that relationship, you DEFINITELY can. All you have to do is introduce yourself, keep constant contact through email, or office hours. Professors are a resource to help students, so whatever they can do to better our learning experiences, they do.

Caitlin

I came to Virginia Tech for engineering. I absolutely love tech's hands on engineering-style of teaching. I am very satisfied with my decision to come to tech.

Amy

Strong academics and I strong career services department. I got a job with one of the top 10 companies in the world through Virginia Tech's career services. They tell you what you should be doing on a yearly basis to guarantee a job when you graduate. I received a dual degree in business marketing and management because my adviser was terrific and told me how to do it in 4 years without taking more than a normal course load each semester. You will make a huge mistake if you do not attend Virginia Tech.

The class size varies, some are really large and others are small. In the smaller classes the professors know my name but in the larger ones it is hard for them to get to know each of the students.

Kai

You have to be very independent here. Attendance is only taken in smaller classes so in a big lecture class the professor won't really know if you're there or not. Students have to decide that they're classes are important enough to attend. In all aspects of academic life you are very responsible for yourself.

As I get older some of the teachers now know my name because the classes get smaller. My favorite class is Women's Studies, Leadership, or my Broadcast Writing class, which pertained to my major. I don't spend that much time with my professors outside of class but my BW teacher helped get me an internship at his news station in Roanoke. Academics are important but it's also not uncommon to cram for a test and do homework last minute. College life at VT is more about socializing than academics although it is a very strong academic atmosphere and will prepare me well. Class participation is common but not uncommon for everyone to skip a class at least once a week.

In the larger classes you need to go out of your way to introduce yourself. In the smaller classes teachers tend to take attendance so they know you generally.

Blake

some of my professors know my name favorite classs= engineering lecture (really interesting) ...most of the time but the test are super hard ! ... challenge is good though least favorite= Calculus ... i hate that it's on the computer unique= history of the modern world, so interesting and relevant Students= COMPETITIVE!!! especially in engineering i go to office hours a lot... Academic requirements are perfect. Learning to better serve the world around me... Ut Prosim... its perfect