Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

In my personal experience I have found that you get what you take out of professors at VT. Personally, I like to attend class, do my work and keep to myself without interfering with my professors much. And, this tactic worked, I made the deans list every semester...Some students have found going to professor office hours helpful though. As a history major however, my classes were frequently 40+ students so I never knew my professors on an individual basis. But beware, this comes to bite you in the butt when you need professor recommendations for grad school etc. Try and have one or two friendly professors you can rely on and always come back to if you need help. How much you are going to need to study for classes can be generally determined before you even sign up for a course. By reviewing ratevtteachers.com before you sign up for certain professors you can pick and choose your course load with relative accuracy. Education here isn't really geared towards getting you a job or getting you to know the course information. Professors aren't going to go out of their way to help you unless you go out of your way to get them to help you!

Professors can know your name if you take the time and initiative to talk to them outside of class and through emails and such. I know I have contacted teachers before and they've remembered my history and my name. It's nice. My least favorite class would have to be Pre-Calculus and Calculus. It's horrible! It's an online class and it's held at the Math Emporium. It's hard to find students that actually like traveling to the Math Emporium to take quizzes/tests. I say students study a good amount of the time. I think everyone tries to balance schoolwork with leisure activities and extracurricular activities. Class participation really depends on class size. If a class is more than 100 students, then class participation is limited to almost non-existant. Smaller class sizes almost insist on participation so that the class doesn't die of boredom and inactivity. VT students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. This past year has been filled of political talks.

Some of my professors know my name, like for my small classes, but not for my larger classes. Students study a lot or not a lot depending on their major, what classes they're taking, what kind of person they are, and what type of stuff they have going on at the time. Some weeks I barely do anything while other weeks I'm pulling multiple all nighters in a row. In small classes, class participation is pretty common but in lectures there is not a whole lot of that. I'm in University Studies (undecided) so I am basically just taking a whole lot of different classes to fulfill requirements and to figure out the subjects I am interested, and disinterested, in. I have until the end of my sophomore year (60 credit hours) to figure it out. I am taking an "exploring careers" class this semester to help me figure out some sort of direction and I think it has really helped me figure out more about myself and what I am interested and might want to pursue.

As a senior, I have had many teachers, but I would say only an average 4 know my name. The majority of classes at Tech are large lecture hall classes where you can have 400 other students in one class. It just depends on whether you like that style of learning or not. For my general college classes, I have enjoyed having large lecture classes. As you move up in your major, classes get smaller and class participation increases. You become closer with your teachers and your class mates as group products and discussion become more a prevalent. The Communication department is unique at Tech because of the fact that you have to apply to switch into the major. I switched from University Studies and it was a huge ordeal to try to get into Communication. Course Request for Communication is also frustrating because there is not enough teachers and classes offered for the requirements given to us.

I love my classes this semester. I changed my major from wildlife science to English. Last semester i hated my classes because i really am not very talented at science, my brain works better along the English line. I am only a freshman, so i haven't really developed a good understanding and opinion about the requirements and the relevancy of the classes. Right now, i am working more towards learning what i can than getting a job and Tech helps me with that. My most favorite class is Greek and Roman Mythology. I love the professor because he is very enthusiastic about the subject and the students can feel his passion for the subject. Unfortunately, at least in my classes, class participation is very minimal. I don't know if it is a fear of being wrong, or looking like a "teacher's pet" or just boredom and inattention, but there isn't much class participation in my classes.

In terms of professors knowing your name, its a dual effort between the student and the professor. If you make yourself know in a positive light professors are interested in getting to know the indvidual even in the large 150 person lectures. What most students don't realize is that professors have lives too that they might want to share, so if you show intrest in them as a person and not just the grade giver you'd be surprised by the positive results. I love my department everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable...it makes me want to do my best and I feed of the good vibes as much as possible. THe education is geared to both getting a job and learning just because...as an engineering major if you want to take a class in european history you can, I love that flexiblity though sometimes it take a work on the students part.

-yes ..more so my junior and senior years -my favorite class was marketing channels and logistics because my professor gave u real world examples and he was no bullshit -daily -yes unless its a early morning class -yes, I've had conversations about God, politics, and life with multiple people -none of my friends are -Geography of Wine -I am a marketing major because I wanted a business degree. There are so many directions and career paths associated with a business degree. The department offers a variety of classes pertaining to marketing - research, advertising, real estate marketing, etc. -If I want advice on a project or have questions, I go to their office hours. Many professors require us to set-up appointments with them throughout the semester -Same as most other schools -Learning for its own sake

The professors here actually care and will make it very easy for you to get extra help if you need it. They definitely make an effort to know your name or at least remember your face. Late night cram sessions at the Math Emporium (Club E, to a select few) involve just about everyone you know hanging out at the computer workstation all night studying together and partly socializing. It's great to have someone there you can bounce an idea off of. Even though we are competitive students, we all work together to help develop each others ideas. We want to do well, but we want to see others do well too. VT has a great academic reputation among prospective employers, so most of us aren't worried about getting a job so much as learning what we can while we are here having a good time.

At Virginia Tech, you get what you put into it. Teachers will learn your name only if you give them a reason to. Although many classes are large lecture halls, your professors make themselves available to answer any questions. There are many places to study on campus and many students consider Torg. Bridge or the Library their stomping ground when it comes to preparing for a test. Virginia Tech's education is primarily geared toward getting a job. Professors get you ready for the real thing and challenge you as if you are already in a professional climate. Career Services is a great service to students to help them prepare for interviews, resume, and whatever else a student might need to get a job.

In some of my classes the professors knew my name but then I am the shy, quiet type that does not like to talk. My favorite class was Byzantine Art History Class, less favorite was freshman engineering class. Class participation is common is the smaller classes but not the big lecture classes. The students have intellectual conversations outside of class. I work at the bookstore and we often get bored and have strange intellectual conversations about a wide range of topics. The art history classes I think are geared more towards learning for its own sake which I like. The department ofters extra information about careers in the field but the classes themselves are mostly for learning sake.