Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Because I'm an English major, my classes are small enough for my professors to know me by name. I could never pick a favorite class, because all of them are interesting and useful for future jobs. Students spend a lot of their time studying-academics has first priority for most students. The education offered by VT is a perfect blend of allowing students to take classes they are interested in, while preparing them for a job or for grad school.

Freshmen year, class size is BIG! My classes can be up to 500 people, but don't take that as such a negative. I don't have a teacher that requires me to attend. Virginia Tech has taught me to discipline because I can choose to go or not. We will have a job for you before you leave. I keep hearing those words and alums have proven it. Virginia Tech prepares you for the work force and career services will find you a job.

For the most part, if you put in the effort your professors will know your name. My classes are mainly larger (200-300 students), so the professors don't have as much interaction with the students, but in my smaller classes, my professors definitely know my name and everyone else's too! The most unique class I've ever taken was probable Philosophy: Existetialism, War, and Terrorism. It was a good one!

You have to try to sign up for floral design! It is such a popular course that you pretty much can't get into it unless you are a senior, but you have to try! I took this course during my fall semester of my senior year, and it was awesome! Every week you get to take home a fresh flower arrangement that you created yourself-- I got more flowers from this class than I have gotten ever from my husband!

One of the benefits of majoring in English is the small classes. So far, I have taken 16 credits of English classes, and none of them have had more than 30 people. The professors know my name and are more than willing to meet with me during office hours to help me. Even professors of large lecture classes tend to be this way. So far, I have had no trouble getting help from professors when I need it.

Classes can be huge your freshman year...and you will learn that you can skip class and get by. But its not worth it...teachers at tech love the students and for the most part arent out to get you...so listening to their lectures are pretty interesting. HOKIES are for life. Tech, if not anything else, has AWESOME networking all over the globe. So getting a job after college is super easy!

Professors: Few know my name Fav Class: Resourses Geology Least: Math1015 Intellectual Conversations: Yeah outside of class some. Competitive: Depends on what Unique: German Major: International Studies, they are Ok, but the advisor isn't very helpfull. Professors: I used to talk to Herr Bishop for German after class. Requirements: Fair VT Degree: geared toward learning for me.

I have small classes, so all of my professors know my name. I think that most students at Tech get a lot out of their major classes, but not from their random electives. I love the English department. It's very small, and it's like a little family. The education at Tech is more geared towards getting a job, but that doesn't mean that they don't also promote learning for its own sake.

As I got farther into my major my professors knew my name. It is important to go to office hours to establish a personal relationship. There have been a few professors that I met up with outside of class and office hours. One professor assisted me in my oversea travels by telling me good places to eat and visit. It is geared towards learning.

You have to be very independent here. Attendance is only taken in smaller classes so in a big lecture class the professor won't really know if you're there or not. Students have to decide that they're classes are important enough to attend. In all aspects of academic life you are very responsible for yourself.