Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

There is such a large variety of groups and organizations to join on campus. Currently, I am part of the SGA marketing team and Alpha Phi sorority. I really enjoy both, and both have allowed me to get to know so many great people. Since there is such a large variety of different groups, I wouldn't say that one is the "most popular." Each person has individual interests and there is a group here for pretty much anything you want to do. I guess if I had to pick something popular it would be inter-mural sports teams. A lot of my friends participate in those. I also enjoy being in my sorority. Greek life on campus is great, but it isn't the end of your social career if you aren't in one either (which is a good thing!) However, it gives you an opportunity to get involved with community service, philanthropies, non-profit organizations, other organizations on campus, and allows you to meet a great group of people!

Sororities and Fraternities allow people to meet the most people. Circles intertwine and you can meet people through people. Athletic events are HUGE. Everyone goes on Saturdays to football games and tailgates. People party three nights a week, Thursday-Saturday. People leave their doors open but it's not unusual to close it and knock to get someone. I met my closest friends in my dorm and sorority. Things I join is where I meet the most people, not so much classes, although there are a few. If I'm awake on Tuesday at 2 am it's either cramming for an exam or hanging out with my friends in the dorm. A lot of people could be downtown at TOTS. On a Saturday night when I'm not drinking I'll go watch a movie at a friend's house or go to the movies in Christiansburg or go out to eat with my boyfriend downtown or in Christiansburg.

I would say any groups or activities are more popular than others. There are strong followings for everything from Intramural soccer to live action role playing. Just walking past the Drill Field on any given day you will witness anything from pick-up ultimate frisbee games to impromptu quiddich matches to circles of musicians playing together. Anything you have an interest is, there is a group or team for. While most of my friends, I met through my freshman year dorm, some of my best friends are from the groups and activities I participated in. The best way to make friends is to put yourself out there and do as many things that interest you as possible. You will make life long friends that you have something in common with and that is just about the most important you can take away from a college experience.

Tech has a strong Greek community. There are several fraternities and sororities that many students choose to get involved with. Not only do Greek organizations exist, but so do Sports Clubs. Tech has a very successful RecSports program that is home to many sports clubs for both men and women. This program is very competitive. Dorm life as a freshman is an experience that everyone should go through. It is such a blast to be able to meet and bond with the members on your hall. Sometimes, a person may not be so lucky and end up with a bad roommate but other times, you get an awesome person and you become best friends. There are so many things to do in Blacksburg! Hike the Cascades, float down the New River, hike other mountain trails, and enjoy a run on the Huckleberry Trail on a beautiful Blacksburg day.

FOOTBALL. everyone loves it. basketball is growing in popularity as we get better. There is something to do socially every single night if you are looking for it. Tuesdays and Thursdays are big going out nights to bars downtown. If you are under 21, some bars are less strict and others (TOTS) you really can't even try to get into. Greek life is only about 20% of campus so Fraternity parties are only one option (but a popular one, especially for freshman girls and sorority girls). Apartment parties are pretty prevalent as well. Walking down Roanoke Street at midnight on a weekend (weekends start on thursday night at the latest), you'll hear parties and probably will get invited to one.

-Football and Basketball, the German Club -I am involved with soccer and various media organizations -Yes -Very popular -I guess it's good... -Through my soccer team and my dorm -I'm not awake -The football games, the snowball fight -Every night of the week, you can find a party -Not that prevalent -I went out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so yeah. -There's always something going on around campus. You can hang out with friends at home, go downtown to eat, see a movie at the Lyric, hang out in Christiansburg. -Go downtown, go to C-burg, go to the parks, visit the Cascades, have barbecues in our apartment complex, hang out with friends

We have more organizations than you could imagine. I mean we even have an intertube water-polo team. If there isn't an organization you like, it is soooo easy to start your own. We have a large greek community. We have an awesome Student Government Association. We have a great atheltic program, football, baseball, softball, lacrosse, basketball, volleyball, and not to mention we are ACC CHAMPS! There is a sense of electricity in the air because there is always something buzzing or going on. Campus is full of activities and off campus and the surrounding communities are always fun.

Many students at Virginia Tech are involved in student government. Also many students are involved in athletics clubs and groups at Virginia Tech. Obviously, the football team is rallied behind a lot at Virginia Tech. Along with the football team, the basketball team has also gained popularity. There are also many intermural and club sports teams. I had many friends on club Lacrosse as well as intermural field hockey. Ultimate frisbee and kayaking are also extremely popular.

Greek Life is pretty popular on campus, but not everyone is in a greek organization. Also, several Hokie related organizations are popular such as our tour guides, alumni associations, and SGA. Students absolutely leave their dorm doors open during the day, inviting anyone on the halls to stop by. It is the easiest way to meet people your freshman year!

Greek life rules the VT social scene- The weekend begins on thursday. Tuesday is a popular night downtown for those students over 21. There are may frat parties to choose from each weekend and people throw parties in their apartments too. Everyone attends the football games and a good portion go to the basketball games as well.