Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

-football, greek organizations -Student Alumni Associates, it is the most outgoing organization and so much fun, we are liasons between the school and alumni -some -athletic events are the most popular -college students don't really "date" anymore ...this is the same at every school though -I'm not really sure, we just all kind of found each other -at Jimmy Johns eating because I just left TOTS -too many to name!! Maroon and Orange Effect, Ring Dance, Big Event, etc. -about 3 or 4 nights a week -important - they support so many good causes and raise money for so many groups in need -I was home for spring break -go to dinner and a movie -go downtown, run errands

I think, like most public colleges, Virginia Tech has a large social scene. Athletics are a huge part of this. I think everyone has their niche of things to do and people to spend time with. Because of the size of the university, there really is something for everyone. Being a part of a Greek organization, I have noticed how people in the Greek Community are more in touch with the rest of the university as well. It has been great to see how we have grown, and continue to take leadership roles within the school. Whether it be on SGA, Orientation Leaders, SAA, or other organizational committee chairs, the Greek Community stays very active and involved.

Not sure what the "popular" groups on campus are but I did TKD for many years. When I lives on campus that one year we left our door open for the most part. I met one of my closest friends through the women's engineering groups and the others were through her and one was my next door neighbor in the dorm. We did not go to athletic events but some guest speakers and plays and movies. I was usually awake at 2am, either going to eat at Joe's dinner, watching TV or playing a video game. People seem to party alot. I always thought fraternities/sororities were stupid. You can watch movies, hang out with friends, go bowling instead of drinking.

Being Greek is becoming very popular at Virgnia Tech, however, if you dont join a fraternity or sorority, you can still have an amazing four years of college. The opportunities at Tech are limitless...Tech does a wonderful job at offering almost everything to the students. From rock climbing, to dancing, bowling, singing, reading, running...there is a club for it all. The best part if you cant find a club that you want..MAKE YOUR OWN! you can start whatever club you want and get friends to join. Virginia Tech lets you be you..and even if others continue to ask what a Hokie is..we will be proud to tell them!

I am involved in the class system which deals with the class ring tradition which is very big here, students leave doors open, athletics are huge here, guest speakers draw crowds based on popularity, theater not really, dating scene is very good, i met my closest friends in class, if i am up at 2 am I am usually partying, traditions include football, pep rallys. people party often, frat and sorority life is prevelent but not necessary at all, not drinking you can go to the restaurants downtown, a movie in christiansburg, a show at the lyric theater, concerts in burruss hall

Greek life is huge at Tech. There are always fundraisers, philanthropies, events, and parties that are being hosted by sororities and fraternities. Athletic events are also huge-- especially football and more recently basketball. It is always fun to go to these events and the entire town basically shuts down on gamedays. To have a saturday night of not drinking there are the options of-- going to the new movie theatres in Christiansburg, Christiansburg in general, drive-in Sonic, many great restaurants, and there are organizations that have planned dry events.

If you can dream it, you can do it. There are a copius amount of sports (Varsity, Club, and Intramural), there are clubs for almost EVERYTHING you could possible form a club for, and if it doesnt exist... you can create it yourself. Living on and off campus are both amazing options with pros and cons. If you are the type of person that just likes to chill, hang out, go to school, and do nothing, you can do that very easily. If you are the type of person that needs to go go go every second of everyday, it is EXTREMELY easy to do that as well.

The most popular groups on campus are the sororities and fraternities, hands down. I don't mean to be biased because I'm in one, but its just the truth. I'm in Kappa Delta Sorority. We are a top sorority with the second highest GPA on capmus. All of my closet friends are in a sorority. If i'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm downtown or out with friends. People party a lot. Fraterinities and sororities are important, but you don't have to be in one to have friends. They are just very well represented around campus.

There are countless activities and groups to join here. Ranging from religious groups to intramural sports teams to fraternities/sororities to student unions. From what I've seen, all are open to those who wish to join. But even if you don't choose to be a part of any specific organization-- Almost everyone goes to the football games, and when you're standing in Lane Stadium, wearing maroon and orange, you ARE a part of something great.

GET INVOLVED. go to the river, go to the cascades, go downtown to eat sometimes. make friends on your hall and stay in, watch movies, go bowling/play pool on campus, catch a movie. The key is to keep your door open the first two weeks of school. COMPLETELY TRUE. benefit of a large school, if you want to go out there are people to do that if you want to stay in there are people to do that too!