Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I think that the worst thing about Virginia Tech is its size; for someone shy like me, it is extremely hard to make friends and adjust in a place where you can see new faces every day of your four years. Also, despite many efforts on behalf of the administration and professors, sometimes students get the feeling that they are "just a number" among the thousands of other undergraduates here. Also, many of the professors (particularly in the hard sciences) are more interested in their pet research projects than in teaching effectively, which can undermine student efforts.

The worst thing I would consider at my school would be the diversity because there is a small diversity factor at my school. There is more majority than minority depsite the effort by the board of vistors to increase the diversity on campus. As the years go on, there has been an increase but not enough to see the difference. The diversity factor would help to attract more individuals that may be capable of doing outstanding for the tye of institution I attend (research- based). Diversity has been a big issue at my school and could change the university itself.

The worst thing about my school is the weather. Although this school is considered to be in the south, does not mean it is warm here. Blacksburg can experience very unpredictable weather becuase we are located in the mountains. One day the temperatures can be in the 70s and the next day we are getting 6 inches of snow. The worst part of the weather is the wind. In certain places on campus it can feel as though you are walking through a wind tunnel. When the weather is nice, Blacksburg is one of the prettiest places to be.

Shopping! There are plenty of stores around town and a mall in the next town over. Also about 30 minutes away in Roanoke is a much bigger mall and quite a few great shops downtown. However, if you're from anywhere with a decent mall you know it's impossible to find anything you want for the prices you're used to paying! No Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, or Forever 21! However, so many people are from Richmond and DC that there are frequent fun roadtrips to go shopping with friends! Plus, brand names aren't a big deal at VT.

The worst thing about my school would be the work load. While it is completely manageable, it is extremley easy to drop the ball and become behind and very frustrated. Many teachers feel that their classes are the only classes you are taking, and therefore you should be able to do all that they ask in a short amount of time. This can be very frustrating. I find that my advisor has become a great utility of mine. He helps me with any and all questions that I have about my major and what my classes are like.

The worst thing for me about my school is the engineering program. I am just starting out and there are tons of people with the aspiration to be engineers. There for they must weed out the undedicated students. Which calls for lots of tedious work that seems pointless in my mind. As soon as the classes can be broken down smaller i know i will enjoy my program so much. But besides that my school is great. I am working hard and plan for great success in the mechanical engineering program.

I love VT Tech but it is sometimes hard to be in a large classroom setting. I have had to learn to work on my own with a lot of my first year classes being in an auditorum style setting. However, the professors do give individual conferences as needed. Some elective classes , that are not in my major ,take up more of my time than classes in my major. I find that frustrating because I want to be more focused in my business classes and spend more time learning that material.

The worst thing about my school is its? reputation as an unsafe school. Ever since the tragedy of April 16th, when unfortunate events occur there are highlighted more than other schools. College is a place where different types of people come together so there is bound to be crimes of some sort. The media should pay equal attention to all schools instead of putting Virginia Tech under a constant microscope because it is unfair to us and students at other colleges.

Maybe the lack of diversity (probably not the best word?), don't get me wrong there's a good amount of people from different backgrounds here, myself included, but everyone seems to act the same and be interested in the same things and there are those rare different people that seem to actually be interesting. Which has actually made it hard for me to make friends because I can't find people with some of the same interests as me.

Parking. With over 18,000 commuter students , there is nowhere near enough parking for all of us. Sure there are buses but they get crowded and are not time friendly if your running late. Most parking is for faculty and staff. Almost everyday you can find atleast two faculty staff lots that are less than half full, while other students drive around for over 15 minutes to find a spot in or der to make it to class.