Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

It is unfortunate that people not familiar with the Virginia Tech community associate the campus' remote location with the school as a whole. Yes, there is a cow field adjacent to the main drive into campus and our school offers a strong agriculture and farm animal veterinary science program, but that does not mean every student is waking up at dawn to gather eggs from their own personal chicken coop. Blacksburg is the location of Virginia Tech, not the identity. We are proud to say that our school is located in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, but we are not all country folk. You are just as likely to see a student wearing designer clothes as you are to see one wearing a camo suit. We are just all different people and don't conform to any stereotype. That is probably one of the best aspects of being a Hokie. No matter how unique your interests are, there will be someone who shares them with you. Virginia Tech might have stereotypes, but in no way are we living down to them.

Most of the stereotypes I've heard come from UVa students or from people who tend to only know our school because of the UVa-Tech rivalry. Despite the fact that UVa students are supposed to more sophisticated than us and thus presumably above petty insults, there are many stereotypes about VT and VT students. The gist of these stereotypes is that our student body is composed of UVa rejects, rednecks who want to study agriculture, and airheads who only come here because we have a good football team. However, there are positive stereotypes too, and those include the perception we are very strong in engineering and that the students involved in this or a related discipline are very hard working, though probably not brilliant on the level an engineering student at Cornell might be.

Certain stereotypes about VT students include that we all just have to be complete football fans and go crazy over it. For certain majors its always heard that Engineers more or less have no idea and the hardest classes whereas things like Communication and Hospitality are the easiest to pass. About the school in general, whenever out in public everyone assumes you had to of been there even for a student, when yes there are 5,000 freshman students admitted each year.

Virginia Tech stereotypes? I would think Tech is usually thought of as a school for "good ol' country boys" and more recently as a "football town with a drinking problem". If you're considering Engineering, Architecture, Pre-vet or the like, you've probably heard about the ridiculous amounts of work you're going to have. Oh, and when I come home from breaks, people always seem to notice that my entire wardrobe now consists solely of VT t-shirts.

We are THE MOST spirited students. Especially after the events of 4-16, we are completely united and there for one another. There is no such thing as a stranger at Virginia Tech. If you are another hokie, you're practically family. Sporting events are crazy, and the fans are amazing. Games are never louder than when you come to Lane Stadium or Cassell. Some people think that VT is made mostly of boring engineers, and this is anything but true.

Virginia Tech is seen as primarily an agriculture and technical school in the desolate cow fields of Southwestern Virginia. This a big football, big drinking, big campus institution that will be forever be known for its fight as the best public state college against those preppy Cavaliers. Students are stereotypically categorized into the cargo-wearing, socially inert Engineers and deep-burping, Animal Science hicks.

Some people feel as if Virginia Tech is a "white school" due to the fact that about 74% of the students who attend are of the Caucasian race. However, these people fail to realize that although there is a large population of Caucasian students, there are still thousands of students who are of different races due to the approximately 26000 people who attend.

I hate the stereotype that VT is the school you go to if you did not get into to UVA. Actually there are a lot of people here that were accepted to rival, UVA, but chose to chose this atmosphere.A lot of people think you come to Tech for engineering, but there are so many majors and a variety of great programs that are offered at VT.

Virginia Tech students love football and their school. While they love the idea of Virginia Tech and everything it stands for, they don't necessarily want to help continue it make it what it is. Most students won't volunteer or help others out. The stereotype is that Virginia Tech has hicks and a focus on agriculture.

Some people may think that VT is full of farmers and engineers, but there are other majors that rarely get any positive attention. Just because our university is in a small farming area that doesn't mean we're all farmers or engineers--there are other interesting pieces in the Virginia Tech puzzle.