Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Wynne

cows, in the middle of nowhere

We are fun going, outgoing, stuents who love to be hokies.

I honestly have never heard stereotypes of Virginia Tech or Virginia Tech students...the only thing about VT that I had ever heard was that everyone that goes there seems to end up loving the school and that it has a lot of school spirit

I don't know any.

We are super laid back. We are awesome at sports. We have a huge alumni network. Hokies are one big huge family. We are a huge party school.

They are fun!

Meg

lack of diversity

Virginia Tech is only a school for engineering and if you aren't pursuing that track, why go there. Tech students are a lot of nerdy engineering guys. Tech students are crazy about football and will always be die hard fans.

Hokies! that we are strong and that we think that football is everything... which it is

That we are hill billies

Mel

I really have never heard bad stereotypes about Virginia Tech...you may here that we have some cow tippers and pretty southern people, however, I believe we are a great bunch! GO HOKIES!

rednecks, farmers

laura

That we are country-influenced people. A stereotype is that our school is in the middle of nowhere.

Agriculture students

The only negative stereotypes that I have ever heard about VT are that we are poor sports and ugly fans.

White preppy kids.

Catie

People who like to party, tailgate at football games, football obsessed, always wear Hokie clothes, "keep it real" and down to earth

Carolyn

More hick than U.V.A.

Love hokie sports, especially football. Other than that just a casual group of students.

That we are crazy sport fanatic fans that absolutely love Virginia Tech and the students that attend. I have also heard that we may be rednecks...

Rich, snobby, military school

Kai

That all we do it party

Good stereotype: Down to earth, good students but also known to skip class, not do homework, SPIRITED, All-American kid

We are known for being a party school. Also, sororities are said to have a lot of hatred towards one another. We are known for being rivals with UVA.

all really smart, nerdy, tech students

Shelley

Some stereotypes are that Virginia Tech is too big and you don't get to know anyone since there are so many people

Southern, "technical" school, not a good business school

Corinne

awesome

Sports Fans

Predominantly white students attend. Those who are African American are most likely here on scholarship, playing a sport.

-Obsessed with Hokie football!

That we are either hicks or stuck up greek snobs.

very school spirited

"all dirt roads lead to tech" that we're all either agriculture majors or engineers i don't really know of too many stereotypes, though, because it is SUCH a huge school with so many different types of people

That it is "redneck" because of the agriculture program or that it is a "tech" school because of the engineering program

Mostly from Northern Virgina Work Hard, Party Hard

Students who couldnt get into UVA

We are all cocky, think we are better than we are.

We are THE MOST spirited students. Especially after the events of 4-16, we are completely united and there for one another. There is no such thing as a stranger at Virginia Tech. If you are another hokie, you're practically family. Sporting events are crazy, and the fans are amazing. Games are never louder than when you come to Lane Stadium or Cassell. Some people think that VT is made mostly of boring engineers, and this is anything but true.

I feel like we don't really have a stereotype-- we have many types of people

Nancy

Some stereotypes that I have heard is that we do not have any diversity, overwhelming class sizes and are sometimes "stuck up".

christy

predominately white school

It depends who you talk to UVA-thinks we are slackers who drink alot Everyone else thinks we care alot about our football and basketbal team.

I say being 'country' or 'redneck' or overly supported of their sports & stuff. Greek Life stereotypes: preppy, stuck-up, and drunks (mostly the frats)

Sasha

Do not know. Did not know any when coming here. Since attending Tech, drunk and rednecks.

Susan

I hate the stereotype that VT is the school you go to if you did not get into to UVA. Actually there are a lot of people here that were accepted to rival, UVA, but chose to chose this atmosphere.A lot of people think you come to Tech for engineering, but there are so many majors and a variety of great programs that are offered at VT.

Virginia Tech is seen as primarily an agriculture and technical school in the desolate cow fields of Southwestern Virginia. This a big football, big drinking, big campus institution that will be forever be known for its fight as the best public state college against those preppy Cavaliers. Students are stereotypically categorized into the cargo-wearing, socially inert Engineers and deep-burping, Animal Science hicks.

Dawson

That everyone here is scary smart. Everyone here is an alcoholic.

Regan

Virginia Tech stereotypes? I would think Tech is usually thought of as a school for "good ol' country boys" and more recently as a "football town with a drinking problem". If you're considering Engineering, Architecture, Pre-vet or the like, you've probably heard about the ridiculous amounts of work you're going to have. Oh, and when I come home from breaks, people always seem to notice that my entire wardrobe now consists solely of VT t-shirts.

Candice

Since we have an agriculture program, people think we have a lot of rednecks. We are too obsessed with school spirit. It's easy to get into VT.