Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The engineer. The frat star. The football jock. Each represents a stereotype at Virginia Tech in which falsely describes the bliss of such a strong academic, social, and spirit-driven community. Outsiders assume these inaccurate stereotypes, as they believe in such specific reasons for attending this school, when perhaps one should attend for these reasons combined. Virginia Tech embodies that engineer who attends the football games, who joins a fraternity, who frequents the gym, and wears orange and maroon to break these stereotypes and to represent the warm community that Virginia Tech is all about.

According to other schools, we are rednecks and hillbillies. We are farmers from the backwoods of Southwestern Virginia. But if you want to know who we are really, we are a superior mix of people from Northern Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. We are from the streets of Richmond and the shores of New Jersey. And yes, we are even from the farmlands of Virginia. We are accepted as being the top engineers and architects. We do not have a big emphasis on Greek life but love the outdoors. We are friendly, smart, SPIRITED, and most of all, happy!

It is difficult to identify a specific stereotype at Virginia Tech because our student body is so large. However, I will say that there are a lot of "Geeks" because we are a science and engineering school. As an English Literature and Creative Writing major, I do not interact with these students very often, but I am very much aware of their presence. Virginia Tech is such a great institution because it offers programs that interest students all across the spectrum. I love going to a university that has so much to offer.

One of my favorite things about this school is that it is big enough that there is no stereotype. If you want Greek life, there are fraternities and sororities abound. But that by no means implies that Greek life is the only life, as it is at some other schools. If you are more interested in intramural sports or other interest groups we have a club or team to satisfy you. People from a multitude of different backgrounds, with as many interests as you can name come to Virginia Tech because, no matter what, they fit in.

At Virginia Tech, it's nearly impossible to label one particular stereotype. With over 30,000 full-time students, you will find nearly every stereotype imaginable. At VT, you'll find a range of people from your nature-loving hippy to your jacked-up football players, and everything in between. If you think you don't fit in at VT, think again; because it is almost guaranteed you can find people with similar interests as yourself.

The stereotype of Hokies is completely accurate. We are fun-loving students who bleed Maroon and Orange. You will not find a group of students who are more loyal to their school and the motto it stands for. Students here take their schoolwork just as seriously as their social life and it makes for an unforgettable experience as an undergraduate.

Tech is known as a party school but not one of the worst. The majority of the campus is made up of white students and as a student of color, it can be annoying at times. Sometimes I think about why I chose this school and wonder why diversity wasn't a part that I looked in to. It would be really nice if this campus was more diverse!

I never really knew any stereotypes about students at VT except for them being quite close-knit and down-to-earth. From what I've noticed, this is very accurate since 4/16.

While Virginia Tech has a strong presence of Greek life (over a dozen fraternities and even more sororities), the overall student body is well balanced and--with a population of over 25,000--any incoming students are apt to find those with whom they wish to associate. Being a large school, there aren't the "clicks" associated with smaller, more private universities, and if one wishes to avoid the "jocks" they will find plenty of geeks--likewise the reverse is adequately true, and overall Virginia Tech boasts a balanced and respectful student body.

It's hard to define the the "Virginia Tech stereotype" because I never really knew of one before applying. Maybe they were the smart, engineer types, but ultimately this university is so large, it's rather impossible to define one specific kind of student. Of course there are the jocks, the artists, the geeks, etc., but all in all Virginia Tech is filled with such a diverse community that absolutely anyone will find their niche -- stereotypical or not.