Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

A person who is not well versed in hard work and perseverance should not attend Virginia Tech. Students at Virginia Tech are both aware and understanding of the high expectations that the University upholds in its students. Among these are practicing a diligent work ethic, demonstrating leadership in class and throughout the community, and simply challenging yourself to become a more well-rounded, educated citizen of the world. If you are someone who is not ready to actively engage in the aforementioned ideals, you should not consider attending a school like Virginia Tech.

The kind of people who shouldn't attend this school are people who are uninterested in fun, people who want to sit alone in a corner. Anyone intersted in being boring should stay away from this school. Mean people, who are unaccepting, should avoid this school. Those who are unwilling to learn and grow shouldn't bother giving this school a second glance. Selfish people should also give this school the cold shoulder. Generally anyone out there looking to rain on everyone else's parade are unwelcome. Then again...us Hokies wouldn't want them anyway, now would we?

There isn’t one person that won’t belong at Virginia Tech. Ever since the unforgettable tragedy of 4.16, the campus united as one community. We, Hokies, share a silent bond. By this, Virginia Tech constitutes of an eclectic, embracing student body with a whole lot of Hokie spirit. Any student will be able to find his/her niche with the same aspirations and hobbies. The societal labels like a jock, musician, bookworm, partier, or goody two- shoes, are insignificant labels. Truly, everyone is a Hokie and Virginia Tech will welcome newcomers with open arms.

As a proud member of the hokie nation, I encourage academically hard working students to come to Virginia Tech. Although it has a vibrant atmosphere with welcoming staff, fanatic football fans, and a diverse student population, Virginia Tech is also home to rigorous courses which require hard work and motivation from students to reach great heights both academically and professionally. If you are not the type of student who enjoys taking on challenges with an ambitious mindset, then I do not think this is the right school for you.

Someone who is not spirited, engaged, or able to adjust well to a large school setting should not attend this school. Virginia Tech encourages independence and responsibility; if a person is not ready to undertake that immediately when beginning college, or if he or she will not adjust well to having such a large body of students, he or she will not adjust well to life in Blacksburg. Also, one must keep in mind that it is in the middle of South West Virginia (city slickers beware!).

Any person should attend this school because even if you don't have the greatest personality traits, being in the environment here at Virginia Tech will make you a better person. You will become friendly, responsible, caring, and sportsmanlike. However, if you are specifically looking for a small private liberal arts college or artistic academy, then maybe Virginia Tech isn't the perfect place for you, but we would still make sure you had the best time possible here.

A person who is insecure with new experiences, or who really dislikes people probably should not come to Virginia Tech. The social atmosphere here is really active, and a person who can't make friends or who doesn't want to make friends will miss out on a huge part of what the college has to offer. I'd say that a person who cannot create a good study/social balance shouldn't come as well, but that's true for a new student to any college.

Anyone who is unwilling to reach out and expand both socially and mentally should choose somewhere else to go. Closed minds will not work here; unless the owners of said minds wish to remain in their rooms bored, slogging through classes, and hating life at college. All kinds of people are at Virginia Tech and striving to be miserable would require more effort than making friends and having a great time. It is all what you make of it.

Virginia Tech is a good fit for almost anyone. However, since there are no large cities nearby, people who depend on the nightlife of a city to keep them amused, and those that rely on the shopping that typically accompanies a large city to keep them in style should not come here. Tech is a lot less "preppy" than UVA, the people here are a bit more relaxed (and we don't wear pearls, dresses and suits to our football games).

If you are the type of person who just hates big classes, Virginia Tech may not be for you. I have had many very large and fairly small classes. Besides that, there really is not a person out there that shouldn't attend this school. There is such a big range of diversity on this campus; it'd great to see many different types of people from all over the world. This school really makes me feel at home, as it would anyone.